• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Playoffs 2017 [OT] 100 Years of Playoff Salt

Pachinko

Being in Edmonton I can't fart without an Oilers fan being within ear shot so of course the damn team had to blow a surefire win , one they worked 56 minutes for ... in the last 3 minutes.

Now I get to hear about "shitty refs" until next hockey season (unless Oilers make a comeback ? Doubt it at this point in the series , maybe if they'd won a game at home). Dirty play and shitty Reffing may have lead to a couple of shitty goals over the last 2 games but there's no reason Edmonton shouldn't have won tonight , those 2 clean goals in 45 seconds ? Those shouldn't have been given a chance to happen in the first place. Even if that "bad goal" had happened - so what ! It's 3-1 with 20 seconds left , big whoop.

Even in game 4 , certainly the bad goal shouldn't have happened there either but it was still a 2-1 game at that point , just go out and play harder, smarter, better. Don't give the opposing team those chances , whether from offside or during an icing.

Would better officiating have ended round 2 tonight in Edmontons favor ? Maybe ! I've only ever heard what happens in games from family and co-workers and over the years , mcdavid or otherwise , the Oil are really bad at keeping things going for 60 minutes of hockey. Normally they end up paying 20 great minutes and 20 average minutes with 20 collossal fuck up minutes , here it only took 45 seconds to screw then up.

It's a rough time to be a fan of the team and it's easy to blame poor officiating but these are arguably the 2 best teams in the west right now and Edmonton should have been playing better those last 3 minutes , especially after that first goal.

I mean obviously now this is going at least 1 more game that could end in Aneheims favor but game 6 is back in Edmonton , I think many would be satisfied if they ended up winning that atleast. These kids have made it further than any previous Oilers since the 90's outside of 2006 even if they do lose.

nomis

Good to see so many posters shitting on the oilers who played an incredible game, look at the ice time of their defence, Talbot made 64 saves, and act like there is any question the NHL has an officiating problem

dT9rUMM.jpg

Acid08

Banned
Good to see so many posters shitting on the oilers who played an incredible game, look at the ice time of their defence, Talbot made 64 saves, and act like there is any question the NHL has an officiating problem

dT9rUMM.jpg

you're right, we should all be praising the oilers right now. that was the best final 5 minutes of a 3rd period I've ever seen.

HariKari

Stills don't tell the whole story. It was chaos in the crease and it wasn't called interference on the ice. Not surprised it stood. Nurse doesn't shove Kesler into the crease, the Oilers probably win. Alternatively, don't give up four straight goals.

The war room should handle all goalie interference and the refs call should have zero bearing. Get some consistency into the calls then start tweaking the language and application. D hitting forwards into the goalie and getting good goals nullified is as big a problem as borderline calls like this one.

zroid

Banned
I finally saw the highlights, I can see why Oilera fans are salty about the game tying goal. Pretty hard to defend that one, but goalie interference is always a crap shoot.

PillarEN

*wakes up and looks at box score*
"Oh double ot"

*sees that Oilers completely botched the end of regulation*
"Wow get out of the playoffs"

yyzjohn

Banned

dT9rUMM.jpg

Good guy Kesler ensuring Talbot keeps those legs spread apart.

Calamari41

41 > 38

dT9rUMM.jpg

Live by the "shove a player onto his hands and knees in the crease and physically keep him down," die by the "shove a player onto his hands and knees in the crease and physically keep him down."

As HariKari said, the perfectly selected still shot doesn't tell the story. It was a judgment call on several different fronts, and we all get stung by ones we disagree with.

dT9rUMM.jpg
Because a still frame shows you everything you need to know?

Right team Won.

Cake Boss

Banned
One team had 64 shots the other team had 38. The right team won.

It's always the shit teams that are getting outplayed are always the ones that complain the most about reffing.

settle down, kiddo. simply stating a fact. nobody knows what goalie interference is anymore.

when you get pushed down into a goalie and arent allowed to get back up, without purposefully interfering their ability to make any move, it aint GI.

sorry to burst your bubble

It was actually literally the best comeback in playoff history. Regular season too if the LA Times isn't full of shit.

Nope. The Miracle on Manchester has you beat there. A much worse team scoring 5 goals against Gretzky's Oilers in the 3rd will almost never be topped in scale. Incidentally, the Oilers lost that series after two more games.

Gritesh

Are you guys even watching the same fucking game?

Shoved on top of the goalie? Perfectly selected still frame?

Get a grip you don't know hockey if you believe this jank.

First off yeah everyone crashed the net, nurse got back to his feet with no contact on kesler meanwhile kesler remains on his hands and knees holding Talbots pad and pulling his legs apart, he has his hand there for way longer than a perfectly selected still shot. Even in that shot nurse is now standing and not even touching kesler.

It's a joke, when the calls are not consistent and you don't know where you stand half the time it's hard to play the fucking game.

Am I defending the oilers imploding? No.

There is a reason why as an oiler fan with 4 minutes left, before the ducks pull Gibson, I'm still sitting on the very edge of my seat waiting for them to blow it.

It's a fucking miracle this team has made it as far as it has, fans in Edmonton are used to the shit show implosion you saw last night in the 3rd.

Halfway through the third I turned to my wife and said "I'm so nervous the ducks score a goal and the flood gates are opened".
The first goal the ducks scored I turned to her and said "here we go, we lost this game."
And the rest....well you know what happened.

Should the oilers have even put themselves into the position they did the last two games to lose it to officiating? Absolutely not.
However you can't sit here and tell me that shits clean when the panels, don cherry, the players, the coaches even all can't fucking understand how we didn't get goalie interference two games in a row to lose us the game.

I remain this league is fixed for southern market teams to drive up the fan base and keep those seats full.

Congrats duck fans, we won't come back from this.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Nope. The Miracle on Manchester has you beat there. A much worse team scoring 5 goals against Gretzky's Oilers in the 3rd will almost never be topped in scale. Incidentally, the Oilers lost that series after two more games.

I guess our glory comes from the "less than four minutes left" qualifier.

Top Bottom