• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

You change the voice track on the load screen. Just press X with your file highlighted.

Blue Dragon is one of my favorite games, honestly. It just feels made for me, with the exception of the silly shounen story.

I unfortunately learned that long after finishing the game.

Audioboxer

Haha, true :p. The good thing about DPD is, in the morning of delivery, the tracking should update with the hour it will arrive after being sent out. I absolutely love that 'feature' with DPD.

Yeah that looks brilliant, nothing worse sitting around for hours waiting on something not knowing if it will come in the morning or afternoon. Or even worse going out/working and missing a delivery.

Stuart444

Audίoboxer;47101121 said:
Of course! Bought the hardback guide as well.

Awesome, I did the same thing when someone linked it (WHSmith link) on here. It's been sent out as well and should be here by 1st of Feb as well.

Emilbus

How much do they give? Liquid Metal Slime EXP or more? If I had to guess, it would be around 10,003 EXP.

Yup, it's around 9000 exp but you have a chance to run into two of them which will double that exp. Insane how quick you can grind but don't overdo it or the game becomes ridiculously boring.

Just finished the game. Overall, it was probably a 7 or 8 for me. I enjoyed playing it more at the beginning than towards the end, but that was probably my fault for not really taking advantage of the familiar system and instead just spamming magic with Oliver. I did figure out why "All-Out Defense" sucked so much for me, and it was my own dumbness (other characters were using familiars with Evade).

My biggest annoyances come from in-combat stuff. Familiars blocking each other from attacking because they keep running into each other. Buffs being cast on you making you stop running so the enemy gets right up in your face. Spell casts/item uses not counting because the enemy used a trick while the animation was going on.

The story was decent, I enjoyed it well enough. It didn't really grab me like Xenoblade did where I just couldn't stop playing, though. And it would have been nice if Fi Drippy would stop reminding me that this person has a Broken Heart and hey, I have spells to fix that. I may take a look at some of the post-clear stuff, but I doubt I'll take the time to 100% the game or anything. Oh well, done in time for Fire Emblem!

RangerBAD

Yup, it's around 9000 exp but you have a chance to run into two of them which will double that exp. Insane how quick you can grind but don't overdo it or the game becomes ridiculously boring.

Yeah, I'll hold back until post-game. I was doing that [spoiler[task to get that ghost girl's familiar up to 40[/spoiler] and it took a while on Swan Island with Tokos (mainly because they barely spawn).

Aeana

Just finished the game. Overall, it was probably a 7 or 8 for me. I enjoyed playing it more at the beginning than towards the end, but that was probably my fault for not really taking advantage of the familiar system and instead just spamming magic with Oliver. I did figure out why "All-Out Defense" sucked so much for me, and it was my own dumbness (other characters were using familiars with Evade).

My biggest annoyances come from in-combat stuff. Familiars blocking each other from attacking because they keep running into each other. Buffs being cast on you making you stop running so the enemy gets right up in your face. Spell casts/item uses not counting because the enemy used a trick while the animation was going on.

The story was decent, I enjoyed it well enough. It didn't really grab me like Xenoblade did where I just couldn't stop playing, though. And it would have been nice if Fi Drippy would stop reminding me that this person has a Broken Heart and hey, I have spells to fix that. I may take a look at some of the post-clear stuff, but I doubt I'll take the time to 100% the game or anything. Oh well, done in time for Fire Emblem!
This right here is probably my biggest gripe with the game. I really can't stand being blocked by my other characters' familiars, and it happens all the time. It's especially painful if you're using a slow familiar because going around them takes way too long.

So where are the other Toko evolutions? 2,003 EXP is not cutting it anymore.

Tokotocold in last dungeon give 24,000 each.

This right here is probably my biggest gripe with the game. I really can't stand being blocked by my other characters' familiars, and it happens all the time. It's especially painful if you're using a slow familiar because going around them takes way too long.

Until I switched to just having Oliver cast his big spells that was my biggest complaint, too. Especially when they'd get in like 1 attack then get pushed off by another familiar. Later on, getting a big heal or resurrection canceled by a piddly enemy spell enraged me to no end.

Beren

My biggest gripe are the buffs, when characters are getting buffed they stand there unable to move D:

StuBurns

Banned
Hello gents, I was just wondering, roughly speaking how large is the scope of Ni no Kuni? Do we get a bunch of HD towns? Is it comparable to the PS1 Final Fantasies more or less?

Speaking of DQ8, Ni no Kuni put me in the mood to finally play it. I almost popped it in my PS2 (checked to see if the component cables were plugged in, opened up the tray and everything) before remembering PCSX2.

ROq1PLJ.jpg

RangerBAD

Makes sense I guess, the scaled overworld invokes those older style, but DQ8 was an adventure of spectacular scale, certainly.

Hino did say this game went back to their roots for this game, and I feel there are nods to both DQ8 and Dark Cloud in it (and some other games they didn't make). I really felt like DQ8 was a huge adventure because of the lack of a traditional overworld and it was always over the shoulder of the hero. It's probably one of my favorite games.

Can you mute/lower to zero, the voice acting in the menu? DQ8 reminds me how I loath to hear my language butchered.

Just play it in Japanese then, but I can't remember if you can lower the volume on it.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
The bf is starting his own playthrough of the game. God, the Ding Dong Dell music is so, so good. Reminds me of Procession of the Spirits from Spirited Away, one of my favourite Ghibli tunes. Music in games must be half the experience for me.

StuBurns

Banned
Hino did say this game went back to their roots for this game, and I feel there are nods to both DQ8 and Dark Cloud in it (and some other games they didn't make). I really felt like DQ8 was a huge adventure because of the lack of a traditional overworld and it was always over the shoulder of the hero. It's probably one of my favorite games.
I did too, it felt actually tiring, as if you'd really traversed and enormous world, JRPGs never really capture that.

RangerBAD

Butchered? Huh? DQ8 is widely considered to have one of the best English dubs out there.

The accents definitely added to the western fantasy aesthetics that DQ games have. For a game that didn't have voice acting to begin with, they did a good job. SE actually did a lot of nice touches for the US release. The epicness of the music did a lot for it, even if it was at the cost of loading of times.

StuBurns

Banned
I wouldn't think so. I know many English folk who have praised the voice work just the same as everyone else.
Well it made me want to find the nearest pencil and ram it vigorously into my ears. And based on the demo of Ni no Kuni, it looks to be of that same caliber.

Aeana

Well it made me want to find the nearest pencil and ram it vigorously into my ears. And based on the demo of Ni no Kuni, it looks to be of that same caliber.
Well, then, by all means, don't play Ni no Kuni with the English voice track, because it was directed by the very same person responsible for DQ8.

StuBurns

Banned
Well, then, by all means, don't play Ni no Kuni with the English voice track, because it was directed by the very same person responsible for DQ8.
I'd rather play with no voice at all, preferably, but if it's Japanese or nothing, that might be kind of cool. I'm surprised it's the same director, I thought publishers handle localization, not developers.

Aeana

I'd rather play with no voice at all, preferably, but if it's Japanese or nothing, that might be kind of cool. I'm surprised it's the same director, I thought publishers handle localization, not developers.
I'm not sure what you mean by the last part. Developers are usually involved with the localization process, with things being run by them frequently, and localization progrmaming being done. Level-5 enlisted Richard Honeywood to direct the localization of Ni no Kuni, and he did an absolutely fabulous job.

Playing without voice would make the animated scenes very weird.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm not sure what you mean by the last part. Developers are usually involved with the localization process, with things being run by them frequently, and localization progrmaming being done. Level-5 enlisted Richard Honeywood to direct the localization of Ni no Kuni, and he did an absolutely fabulous job.

Playing without voice would make the animated scenes very weird.
Well what I mean is I thought publishers do the localization, not the developers. Hence why I always read people asking for Nintendo to publish a game in the West because everyone likes the Tree House (is it called that?), and we often hear about publishers in Europe and America having different localizations, or having to license the localizations the other region did. It seemed like based on those things, that the publisher made all the localization decisions to me, I guess not.

I guess that's true about the animated stuff.

Hearing Yangus speak the line

'it still beats me how you end up working for an coldger like granddad here'

was a sign for me I was in for something special!

DQVIII was amazing, partly due to the great VA! GAF, we should start a petition for a HD DQVIII remake!

Amir0x

Banned
I gotta say the voice acting isn't particularly stellar in Ni No kuni, but the way Drippy says "ouer" and "youer" really annoys me for some reason. It's like nails on a chalkboard.

Aeana

Well what I mean is I thought publishers do the localization, not the developers. Hence why I always read people asking for Nintendo to publish a game in the West because everyone likes the Tree House (is it called that?), and we often hear about publishers in Europe and America having different localizations, or having to license the localizations the other region did. It seemed like based on those things, that the publisher made all the localization decisions to me, I guess not.

I guess that's true about the animated stuff.
Well, the publisher frequently deals with the logistics of localization, that's true. But it really depends on the company how it's handled. Namco frequently outsources localizations, which is why 8-4 has been responsible for every Tales game since Symphonia.

I'm about 18 hours into this game, just got my ship, and now I'm sitting in class waiting until I can get home, grab a drink, and play the crap out of this game. Loving every minute of it.

RangerBAD

Hearing Yangus speak the line

'it still beats me how you end up working for an coldger like granddad here'

was a sign for me I was in for something special!

DQVIII was amazing, partly due to the great VA! GAF, we should start a petition for a HD DQVIII remake!

I've already put a lot of time into DQ8 and I would have no problem putting in even more hours. At least the Japanese version of DQ7 will have orchestrated BGM's. They missed out on that with DQ8.

Aeana

I've already put a lot of time into DQ8 and I would have no problem putting in even more hours. At least the Japanese version of DQ7 will have orchestrated BGM's. They missed out on that with DQ8.
Huh? The NA/EU version of DQ8 has orchestrated music. Though it was taken from the Symphonic Suite CD and not recorded specifically for the game, so the quality suffers a bit.

RangerBAD

Huh? The NA/EU version of DQ8 has orchestrated music. Though it was taken from the Symphonic Suite CD and not recorded specifically for the game, so the quality suffers a bit.

I meant Japan didn't get that in DQ8, but they are getting it in DQ7. It may of suffered, but you have to admit it added a lot. I guess I should have added "3DS" into it too.

Really? I'm British English and I've never much of a problem with the dub from the demo of Ni No Kuni. I think I might understand a little of what you mean, though. The kids lines do seem to sound a little forced, but I suppose that's what you get when you cast actual 8 year olds. Certainly isn't terrible though by any means. I really like the Welsh accent for Drippy too.

Also cor blimey, the DQ8 dub was fantastic IMO. Was a big highlight of the game for me.

Finalow

how can I use the gold skins I get from the limited edition?
anyone?

you don't have to grind no matter what in the early going at least. you can definitely use basic strategy to beat the early stuff. Maybe you have to later, but I didn't start really trying to even develop my familiars until I got to
Fairytown
and I didn't have any trouble; and I didn't even do many sidequests. And yes, it's normal difficulty.
no I mean that I have to even if I don't want to, enemies are a lot faster than you and you can't really avoid them, so yeah I'm just going to kill them all.

I'm having some problems in the desert tho, died 2 times already vs normal mobs.

JohngPR

If I had any complaint of the gameplay is that they don't give you enough Magic. It wouldn't be so bad if the regular Iced Coffee gave you more than a paultry 10 MP and if making or buying Strong Coffee wasn't as expensive. Your AI guys go through MP like it's candy.

It's not a deal breaker or anything, I am still absolutely loving the game (just got Hamelin, saved and quit for the day) and I'm making do, but I wish that something regarding magic could be slightly different whether it's how much the consumables cost, more detailed tactics that would make your AI characters use it a bit less often without just turning it off or powers taking up less MP. I don't think it should be a BIG difference since I think getting low on magic from time to time keeps things fresh, but something to make it a bit more managable to keep your MP full more often.

Sanctuary

Jump. Seriously.

Top Bottom