• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

Man Drippy is a right dick at the beggining haha. Only got to play up to where the demo starts last night :( will have to wait till saturday to play more. laaaame.

Stuart444

Man Drippy is a right dick at the beggining haha. Only got to play up to where the demo starts last night :( will have to wait till saturday to play more. laaaame.

Haha, yes his first few lines were something
Saying "Yer mam dropped dead" or something like that. So blunt

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Ah, yes, the joy of poor AI. I've really only had a few issues in mine, but that's likely only because I'm rather over-leveled now.

It's actually not even the AI I'm annoyed with now it's the stupid buff animation overriding my movement. Then the boss hits me and I get stuck in a knockaround loop where the boss keeps tossing Oliver like a ragdoll before he can get to his feet. I went from full HP to 3...All of it completely out of my control.

jono95

You don't really go by visual queues via attack animations. You simply hit the attack balloon when it flashes blue (it flashes blue right as the enemy attacks). The timing on it is utterly ridiculous though. You're better off mashing X and praying.

Oh wow haha. Thanks for the response!

whyman

Getting my copy in a few hours. This is my first JRPG and im really hyped for it! Anything special i should think of going in? Is grinding a must, should i play on easy etc...

question for those who ordered from amazon.uk..
in us there's a griffy familiar dlc for preorder sent by amazon.. is there something similar for uk? or?

Hana-Bi

Is anyone interested in the Gold Hurley DLC from the PrimaGames guide?

Since I'm from Europe there is no need for it. I think you must be from NA to redeem the code.

(Note, you first have to generate the PSN code via the PrimaGames site).

Is it me or did Ni no Kuni just vanish from the UK PSN store?

It's been taken down for the moment because SCEE are incompetent.

They only uploaded one of two files needed (the 6gb one), and only just realised an hour or so ago that there was another 16gb file they needed to upload. It should reappear on the store when it's done uploading.

Is it me or did Ni no Kuni just vanish from the UK PSN store?
They're fixing the fuckup I mentionned earlier. As a result it apparently messed up the store page for the game during the transition.

It's kind of amusing they'd repeat the mistakes from the US digital launch, ignore people telling them 2 days before something is amiss and go on to full panic mode on launch day. Doesn't really foster confidence or good will towards digital preorders. Or their ability to run a digital store.

nicjac

It's been taken down for the moment because SCEE are incompetent.

They only uploaded one of two files needed (the 6gb one), and only just realised an hour or so ago that there was another 16gb file they needed to upload. It should reappear on the store when it's done uploading.

Great. I was going to take advantage of the fact that I am stuck at home because of the flu and start the download. Guess it will have to wait!

Ostinatto

spoiler about the king and questions

i just sved the cat king in the sewers and i have 3 merit stamp cards, should i spend it now? or save it for later?

one_kill

Played about an hour or so and it's pretty good so far. I like how the game looks, and the dialogue is top notch.

I also like how the game trains you to use the dpad early on. At first I was annoyed by how the game was forcing me to use the dpad for some menus. It later makes sense why the designers chose to do it that way.

Finalow

spoiler about the king and questions

i just sved the cat king in the sewers and i have 3 merit stamp cards, should i spend it now? or save it for later?
take the one that boots your speed. no point in saving them since you won't unlock new ones until you get all of the ones available.

iumogg

Neo Member
Played about an hour or so and it's pretty good so far. I like how the game looks, and the dialogue is top notch.

I also like how the game trains you to use the dpad early on. At first I was annoyed by how the game was forcing me to use the dpad for some menus. It later makes sense why the designers chose to do it that way.

In battle, when choosing an action, you can also use R2/L2. It's easier than using the d-pad when you are also moving your character with the left stick

Persona86

Banned
I don't understand, Amazon still hasn't dispatched this game and it's February 1st, WTF amazon? :(

Edit: Oh crap, I just read this email someone from Amazon got.

"As we discussed, Ni No Kuni is now back-ordered and we expect to dispatch your order on the 19th February using 1st Class delivery."

February 19th!? What!? lol I didn't think this game would be sold out, my fault for preordering so late I guess.

I guess I'm gonna check the stores later on today instead.

Aeon712

Is anyone interested in the Gold Hurley DLC from the PrimaGames guide?

Since I'm from Europe there is no need for it. I think you must be from NA to redeem the code.

(Note, you first have to generate the PSN code via the PrimaGames site).

If you no one asked for it, I'll gladly take it.

-Stranger-

I'm about 4.5 hours in, really enjoying it still.
Passing through Golden Grove Woods now, somehow I've gotten lost and there is so many enemies in here.

New baby Familiar!

daveo42

Banned
Ok, I've think I've finally hit that "level curve" point the game where things get harder. I've made it to
Fairyland and traversed Mom's stomach. I'm having some serious issues with the squid boss. I've had some success with the all out attack and defense, some character switching and all around heals. It just seems that either the AI want to use one familiar till they're blocked or attack themselves. At most, I get the boss to about 1/2 HP and then team members start to die, usually with Esther first.
Some of you have already mentioned the AI issues this game has.

I'm curious about strategy used to get past this point. Oliver is currently level 27.

Beckx

Ok, I've think I've finally hit that "level curve" point the game where things get harder. I've made it to
Fairyland and traversed Mom's stomach. I'm having some serious issues with the squid boss. I've had some success with the all out attack and defense, some character switching and all around heals. It just seems that either the AI want to use one familiar till they're blocked or attack themselves. At most, I get the boss to about 1/2 HP and then team members start to die, usually with Esther first.
Some of you have already mentioned the AI issues this game has.

I'm curious about strategy used to get past this point. Oliver is currently level 27.

Several of us have had to solo bosses like this with Oliver/his familiars after everyone dies. Basically you end up running around, using defend against the big attacks, and waiting for blue and gold glims. With that particular boss,
it gets a bit hectic at around 25% or so because it spawns mini-jellies, luckily they are slow so the strategy of running and focusing on the boss still works.
Did the fight with Oliver at 24, took a loooong time. :)

Others report that with the right mix of familiars and tactics, you can keep the party alive and win.

daveo42

Banned
Several of us have had to solo bosses like this with Oliver/his familiars after everyone dies. Basically you end up running around, using defend against the big attacks, and waiting for blue and gold glims. With that particular boss,
it gets a bit hectic at around 25% or so because it spawns mini-jellies, luckily they are slow so the strategy of running and focusing on the boss still works.
Did the fight with Oliver at 24, took a loooong time. :)

Others report that with the right mix of familiars and tactics, you can keep the party alive and win.

Thanks.

I'm looking to mix up the familiars and try Esther in a pure heal role for the fight. It sucks because while she has a decent mana pool, Oliver's is just bigger. Hopefully I'll succeed this next time.

iumogg

Neo Member
Thanks.

I'm looking to mix up the familiars and try Esther in a pure heal role for the fight. It sucks because while she has a decent mana pool, Oliver's is just bigger. Hopefully I'll succeed this next time.

In boss battles, I tend to have Esther heal, but also supplement the healing. Oliver's heal spell isn't that strong, so I use a lot of healing items. Then it just becomes a war of attrition.

In regards to the missing install file on the EU store;

"The Store Team are publishing the Ni No Kuni file now but it is a few Gigabytes so may time some time to complete. This second file will be made available for free for users who have paid for the game (accessible from the game product page) and it will be bundled in for new purchases."

Apparently SCEE telephone reps are saying the missing file will be on the store by 6PM GMT :/

To think I actually pre-ordered digitally for the CONVENIENCE.

daveo42

Banned
In boss battles, I tend to have Esther heal, but also supplement the healing. Oliver's heal spell isn't that strong, so I use a lot of healing items. Then it just becomes a war of attrition.

The only reason why the larger mana pool can matter is Esther's original familiar can get a lvl 2 heal spell that heals for around 100 hp, which can be great in tight spots. Only downside is the 11mp cost.

iumogg

Neo Member
The only reason why the larger mana pool can matter is Esther's original familiar can get a lvl 2 heal spell that heals for around 100 hp, which can be great in tight spots. Only downside is the 11mp cost.

Sure. You can always switch that familiar to oliver for that fight.

SxP

Got the game today, played until the first boss battle. It sure starts slow, but it's been amazing so far.

anddo0

Finally beat it with 56 hours! That was a really short ending, and I wish all this stuff that is unlocked after you beat it was given to you before the end. Oh well, more content is more content. :)

easy or normal?

final character level?

I'm about 50 hours, but not even close to finishing
currently doing Three Stones
. It's safe to say the game has lost it's charm on me. I just want to get it over with at this point. It's partly my fault. I waited to long to morph certain familiars. Now I'm late game with lvl 25 familiars in their final form. The leveling is way too slow. I can't fight normal enemies (too little xp) can't fight higher level enemies (team gets killed within 30 secs). I think what really killed the fun for me is the weak team Ai, difficulty spikes and the game is lacking in voice acting (way too many slight moments). The Ai is killer, Esther and Swaine are two of the most useless companion characters I've ever played with in an rpg. I can't count how many times Mity has been left to fend for himself. It's like they don't want to use their familiars. Esther is already a terrible healer, yet she decides to fight rather than heal (despite being set to heal). Swaine and his familiar might as well not exist (stop trying to steal shit)... So yeah, I'm about to drop down to easy and power through this thing.

eznark

Banned
I got my Griffy promo code yesterday but when I try to redeem it I get an invalid/already redeemed message.

Anyone else have anything similar happen?

This game is so much fun. I only wanted to play for around 1 hour last night and played for like 4 lol.

But man, it can be hard in a frustrating way. I'm just finished Al Mahmood(sp??) and right now I'm clearing up some rewards before heading out.

Any tips? Any familiars that are must-haves at this point?

Majmun

Finished the game yesterday. I defeated three Tokocold's in the last dungeoun.
They gave me almost 30k exp each. So the last fight was pretty easy, lol.

I had a blast with this game. I also followed Aena's advice and put Esther on support command. The game does get less frustrating that way.

The only thing I didn't like about the game was the constant hand holding.
Putting the objective marker in the map can be considered handy to some, but I thought it made the game less adventurous. I love to figure out where to go next myself :(

But I loved everything else about the game. I didn't even mind the lack of voice acting. The whole game is so charming and it captures the Ghibli style so well.

Now it's time to tackle the post game. But I think I'm going to give the game a rest for now. Hearing the game's intro all day long in my head is a sign that I need to take a short break from it.

Brussels

I got my Griffy promo code yesterday but when I try to redeem it I get an invalid/already redeemed message.

Anyone else have anything similar happen?

Happened to me, I spoke with Amazon yesterday, hopefully I get a new one in a couple of days.

OSHAN

The only thing I didn't like about the game was the constant hand holding.
Putting the objective marker in the map can be considered handy to some, but I thought it made the game less adventurous. I love to figure out where to go next myself :(

Why not just turn it off?

Alucrid

Banned
I haven't been able to play much of this all week. I might just hermit it up this weekend and see if I can blow through it. About what percetange of the game am I currently through?
I just rescued the two princes from the cave near Hamelin

SxP

Finding those free EU familiars in the PSN Store is like looking for a needle in a haystack. I hate the new PS Store so much. Found them eventually though.

And the dynamic theme isn't very good, which is a real shame.

The 16gb file is now FINALLY on the EU store - it won't be in your download list, you have to go into the game page and the 16gb file should be free to download from there if you've already purchased the game.

175 minutes before I can play - not too bad, but I've been off sick all day and would have loved to have been playing this for the past 5+ hours. Last time I ever pre-order anything from PSN.

eXistor

Going to start this game soon. Any basic tips for a total newcomer?

Not really, the game eases you into everything. It explains everything as if it were your first rpg. I suppose I'd say: do all the sidequests to minimize grinding. Only go to the next storypoint when you've done everything there is to do.

Top Bottom