• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

Am I the only one who pounds the x button when attacking even though it does it automatically?

< --- guilty

Also...how do you keep other people alive.

At the
volcano
fighting
Moltaan

Should I be constantly swapping back and forth between the kids and their familiars?

Sanctuary

No problem, "OLIVER" will do just fine. That's how kids write anyway.

How old is Oliver in the game?

He's a 13 year old who is as tall as an eight year old and acts similarly.

Doing that, you might get lucky on counters if you happen to re-trigger attack at the right time.

Mashing X nets more counters than actually trying to hit it when it flashes. I swear that the timing on that is faster than the timing required for most fighting games.

Stencil

So, I'm at the second town. Who is a good familiar to use, not necessarily just for the upcoming Old Smoky but, preferably, the duration of the game? So far I have Sleapeafowl, Ruff, Green Buncher, Lagoon Naiad, Taddlywink, Clubber Cub, Bonehead, and Sore Boar, as well as the story req'd fams.

Lyng

So from what I read here and saw in the GB quicklook, the partner ai is downright stupid.
Is there no option to give standard commands or actions to your partymembers? Like the system in Dragon Age: Origins or well alot of other rpg's today.

For example: HP < 75% - cast (something) ?

So from what I read here and saw in the GB quicklook, the partner ai is downright stupid.
Is there no option to give standard commands or actions to your partymembers? Like the system in Dragon Age: Origins or well alot of other rpg's today.

Sadly, no. There is a tactics option in combat that allows you to select from a few preset attitudes ("Don't use abilities" "back us up" "keep us healthy", etc), but they're no substitute for gambits and the like. They'll always use all of their MP as quickly as possible, unless you tell them not to use abilities at all.

I've finished the game and the problems I've had with it are:
- partner AI is terrible
- familiar pathfinding in battle is shit as well (though this can be managed with smarter positioning of your familiars)
- bosses love to spam the shit out of their field spells
- aforementioned field spells seemingly interrupt everything, even healing spells when they're in the middle of healing someone

Despite these complaints, it's an awesome JRPG. I haven't played one like it in quite some time, and I had a blast with it.

jono95

Would someone be able to explain exactly how counter-attacking works? I read the explanation, but does it mean you have to press the attack command when an enemy attacks, or is it sort of a luck thing where your familiar has to attack at the same time?

LOVING this game so far, I'm just about finished the Golden Grove.

He's a 13 year old who is as tall as an eight year old and acts similarly.

Yeah I hate to be that guy, but I always hated in Japanese games, anime, or movies how they portray a 13 year old boy as a small child or an 8 year old as a teenager at times. I just never got how they portray kids most of the time.

I think one of the only characters I've seen in Japan that act their age was Naruto who was 12-13 in the beginning. He was cursing, liked girls, and wasn't scared to punch people. Now I'm not saying that I would want Oliver to act like that, but i just find it weird how you see this 13 year old act like a child while that 13 year old acts like a true teenager.

Even though I know it's just the mood Ni No Kuni is supposed to put off for this game (afterall it is lighthearted). I just never understood the aging personality range for Japanese media characters, where as in America you know the 13 year old will act like... well a 13 year old.

Just a pet peeve, so don't bash me here :p

Anival

Banned

No. Later on you get the option to automatically gaurd or go in attack mode which helps a little. I haven't had any trouble with the ai yet.

Lyng

Sadly, no. There is a tactics option in combat that allows you to select from a few preset attitudes ("Don't use abilities" "back us up" "keep us healthy", etc), but they're no substitute for gambits and the like. They'll always use all of their MP as quickly as possible, unless you tell them not to use abilities at all.

I've finished the game and the problems I've had with it are:
- partner AI is terrible
- familiar pathfinding in battle is shit as well (though this can be managed with smarter positioning of your familiars)
- bosses love to spam the shit out of their field spells
- aforementioned field spells seemingly interrupt everything, even healing spells when they're in the middle of healing someone

Despite these complaints, it's an awesome JRPG. I haven't played one like it in quite some time, and I had a blast with it.

Yeah was thinking about the gambit system aswell. Seems rather odd not to have a system like that in a game like this.

No. Later on you get the option to automatically gaurd or go in attack mode which helps a little. I haven't had any trouble with the ai yet.

You are one of the few I have read that didnt have problems with the ai.
My copy should be in my mailbox when I get home from work today. Will come post my initial thoughts when I have put a couple of hours into it.

Anival

Banned
Yeah was thinking about the gambit system aswell. Seems rather odd not to have a system like that in a game like this.

You are one of the few I have read that didnt have problems with the ai.
My copy should be in my mailbox when I get home from work today. Will come post my initial thoughts when I have put a couple of hours into it.
Only problem I had is that they kill things faster then I do but that's it lol.

Sanctuary

Would someone be able to explain exactly how counter-attacking works? I read the explanation, but does it mean you have to press the attack command when an enemy attacks, or is it sort of a luck thing where your familiar has to attack at the same time?

LOVING this game so far, I'm just about finished the Golden Grove.

You don't really go by visual queues via attack animations. You simply hit the attack balloon when it flashes blue (it flashes blue right as the enemy attacks). The timing on it is utterly ridiculous though. You're better off mashing X and praying.

This is very hard to believe. It makes me wonder if you've simply not paid attention to the other characters and focused on whoever you were controlling, because the AI in this game is predestrian at best. So much of the problems could have been overcome through UI manipulation, but they don't even allow that much and you basically have two automatons that flip coins to see if they will actually follow protocol. Trash fights aren't the problem, bosses are. Not all of them either, but on many the AI is exposed for what it is.

I just never understood the aging personality range for Japanese media characters, where as in America you know the 13 year old will act like... well a 13 year old.

Just a pet peeve, so don't bash me here :p

You can be "that guy", and I'll join you. There's a lot that I like about JRPGS, but the age thing, and especially the "super cutesy" (not specifically this game other than Oliver) anime look or the floating emoticon junk are not it.

Stencil

You don't really go by visual queues via attack animations. You simply hit the attack balloon when it flashes blue (it flashes blue right as the enemy attacks). The timing on it is utterly ridiculous though. You're better off mashing X and praying.

Just noticed that myself. So impossible.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Darn it! Really, really wanted Griffy but thought Amazon would only have it available as a pre-order and so I decided to get the game at Gamestop after my Wizard Edition fell through. Why must you do good things, Amazon?! >_>

Anyway, Ding Dong Dell is pretty awesome. I'm very early into the game, but so far it's really awesome. The game seems extremely deep and I feel like I've barely scratched the surface of many of the gameplay systems.

madhtr

Darn it! Really, really wanted Griffy but thought Amazon would only have it available as a pre-order and so I decided to get the game at Gamestop after my Wizard Edition fell through. Why must you do good things, Amazon?! >_>

Buy it from Amazon, get the griffy, return that game to GS with your receipt?

Shrennin

Buy it from Amazon, get the griffy, return that game to GS with your receipt?

I considered this, but I would feel kinda bad doing it so I'm just going to hope they offer Griffy on PSN eventually.

Shrennin

Feel bad? The Gamestop won't cry over losing 60 dollars. Being lazy is a much more valid and understandable excuse.

I'm not even sure if I still have the receipt - I have Prime so I could order the game and it would be here in 2 days. It's not like I couldn't easily "return" the game, but I already purchased it from GStop and so I'm just going to stay with it. There's also the possibility that GStop won't take it back, which would mean that I'm out $60 more.

madhtr

I'm not even sure if I still have the receipt - I have Prime so I could order the game and it would be here in 2 days. It's not like I couldn't easily "return" the game, but I already purchased it from GStop and so I'm just going to stay with it. There's also the possibility that GStop won't take it back, which would mean that I'm out $60 more.

If it's sealed and within 30 days, they can't turn you down, for the record. Assuming you could find the receipt, that is.

"Game data not installed correctly?"

Thanks for that=(
So much for buying games digitally=(

Any solution for this yet?
=(

Did you install the 16GB and 6GB DLs?

Shrennin

If it's sealed and within 30 days, they can't turn you down, for the record. Assuming you could find the receipt, that is.

Hmmmm.... I might look for the receipt and then make a crucial decision. I really want that Griffy haha

I'm pretty sure I threw it away though. >_>

"Game data not installed correctly?"

Thanks for that=(
So much for buying games digitally=(

Any solution for this yet?
=(
That's the issue I mentionned yesterday. They apparently omitted a 15GB file in the digital preorder for Europe and Australia. There's a thread on the PSN tech help board where a support guy wouldn't even acknowledge the issue and said the 6GB file on its own should be enough.

So much failure surrounding the release of this game.

Edit: here's the thread http://community.eu.playstation.com...al/Ni-No-Kuni-digital-pre-order/td-p/18172618

Stuart444

That's the issue I mentionned yesterday. They apparently omitted a 15GB file in the digital preorder for Europe and Australia. There's a thread on the PSN tech help board where a support guy wouldn't even acknowledge the issue and said the 6GB file on its own should be enough.

Simple solution for people should be to phone SCEE. last time I had to phone them in the UK, they were incredibly helpful and got my issue resolved. Though phoning them in this case is more likely to help by alerting them to the situation. The more calls, the more obvious the situation becomes to them I would think.

edit: Yeah, reading that thread, the support guy doesn't sound like he knows what he is talking about. Someone from Australia said they phoned tech support and was told it would be available at 12pm EU/UK time (?) and that the 16GB file was mandatory so if people phoned Sony UK/EU, they would probably be told something similar I'd imagine compared to what the 'support' guy said on the forums.

Broman1978

So much failure surrounding the release of this game.

Wtf?!

This is outrageous! This MUST be fixed TODAY! I waited so long for this game and now this?!=(

Shrennin

Assuming I did take it back, couldn't Gamestop tell that it wasn't the same game that I purchased through the barcode anyway if I try to return a sealed game from another store?

Simple solution for people should be to phone SCEE. last time I had to phone them in the UK, they were incredibly helpful and got my issue resolved. Though phoning them in this case is more likely to help by alerting them to the situation. The more calls, the more obvious the situation becomes to them I would think.

edit: Yeah, reading that thread, the support guy doesn't sound like he knows what he is talking about. Someone from Australia said they phoned tech support and was told it would be available at 12pm EU/UK time (?) and that the 16GB file was mandatory so if people phoned Sony UK/EU, they would probably be told something similar I'd imagine compared to what the 'support' guy said on the forums.
That's what I figured but being at work right now, I don't want to phone them. Alternatively, if this isn't solved in the afternoon, I'll shoot Eurogamer a mail, they're usually great at following up these kinds of stories.

Wtf?!

This is outrageous! This MUST be fixed TODAY! I waited so long for this game and now this?!=(
I get you mate, I thought I'd try a digital preorder for the sake of convenience and having the game ready to play when I get home tonight. As it stands, the best case scenario is it'll take me a couple of hours to download the data (and as long to install lol).

Xamdou

Assuming I did take it back, couldn't Gamestop tell that it wasn't the same game that I purchased through the barcode anyway if I try to return a sealed game from another store?

All the regular versions of the game have the same bar code as long as you bought it both from the same region, It shouldn't be a problem taking it back to Gamestop. I am doing the same thing to get my griffin familiar but taking it back to Bestbuy rather than Gamestop.

Flying
from Hamelin to the shipwreck shore as the sun rises and reflects off the water is friggin beautiful. This right here is the reason world maps need to make a return.

Anival

Banned

This is very hard to believe. It makes me wonder if you've simply not paid attention to the other characters and focused on whoever you were controlling, because the AI in this game is predestrian at best. So much of the problems could have been overcome through UI manipulation, but they don't even allow that much and you basically have two automatons that flip coins to see if they will actually follow protocol. Trash fights aren't the problem, bosses are. Not all of them either, but on many the AI is exposed for what it is.

You can be "that guy", and I'll join you. There's a lot that I like about JRPGS, but the age thing, and especially the "super cutesy" (not specifically this game other than Oliver) anime look or the floating emoticon junk are not it.

I dont see how its hard to believe i havent had any problem at all for bosses when you use the all defend button they defend. i also gave my partners a familiar with very high defense and there AI usually uses that most times in boss fights they switch to them automatically im surprised that they do that.

Shrennin

All the regular versions of the game have the same bar code as long as you bought it both from the same region, It shouldn't be a problem taking it back to Gamestop. I am doing the same thing to get my griffin familiar but taking it back to Bestbuy rather than Gamestop.

Okay, sweet! I may end up doing this, actually.

iumogg

Neo Member
So, I'm at the second town. Who is a good familiar to use, not necessarily just for the upcoming Old Smoky but, preferably, the duration of the game? So far I have Sleapeafowl, Ruff, Green Buncher, Lagoon Naiad, Taddlywink, Clubber Cub, Bonehead, and Sore Boar, as well as the story req'd fams.

From the research I've done (I'm about 25 hrs in but I've been taking my time), the bonehead is good throughout as well as the thumbelermur. Green Buncher can get strong too. Also around Old smokey, capture a little bighorn. They are supposed to get strong and be one of the best long term. Also, try to match the familiars with the party member who likes that genus. (when you choose where to assign them, a little icon next to the party member will move indicating it's a type they like) I think you get like a 10% stat bonus.

From what I read, you don't have to min/max your familiars to complete the game. I tend to have a few strong ones and some I think just look cool. I also enjoy just leveling up different ones and experimenting.

I really don't want to wait until my familiars are level capped to evolve them. What are you guys doing?

Usually no reason to, unless you plan on using them for the entire game. You'll get more use out of them evolving them sooner if you ever plan on replacing them with something stronger.

Stuart444

From where I am, how long until I can tame Familiars and get the DLC ones? I'm at
Ding Dong Well, at the save point

Quoting myself since it was near the bottom of the last page anyway :)

Going to continue playing later today, hoping I can get to this point soon enough :)

Top Bottom