• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

Aeana

Jeepers Creepers. So I started the game few days ago and now got my second party member. I really like the music and graphics. VA is fine too. Combat is ok but nothing special. I perhaps made a mistake buying the jumping boots that don't do anything :lol. Merit Card wasted, oh well.

Any missable trophies by the way?
Not really wasted, since you have to buy all in a row to unlock the next row.

RangerBAD

I need some help on Derwin's last fetch quest "More Creatures". I'd really like to finish it before I beat the game and start the post game. Has anyone done the quest yet?

Finalow

seriously? I need a fucking sunshine for a quest and I have the second form which isn't good enough. so I have to catch another one just for this quest, seriously game? Fucking bullshit.

lingiii

Banned
seriously? I need a fucking sunshine for a quest and I have the second form which isn't good enough. so I have to catch another one just for this quest, seriously game? Fucking bullshit.

oh hot tots. I've evolved my tin man after just catching a cog guy :( dumbass me.

Ricker

Well thats good to hear. I first though it was needed to access some of the green chests that were out of reach but I guess they must be aquired with some spell.

Close but not quite hehe...I also thought the same thing about the jumping boots and getting those green chests at first... ;)

Dartastic

Youre not the only one, teleporting is for chumps when youve got a freaking
dragon.
Is this really that much of a spoiler, considering you can see it if you just leave the title screen running?

Also, I just
got the ship and am about to deal with the jokes part in the fairy area. Around how far am I?

Is it better to feed a familiar with stat boosting treats or their favourite treats?

The more hearts you have the more bonus points you can allot to any category. You start off with only 10, so if you level up attack +10, you can't go +11 until you fill up another heart. Or if you have various stats that have bonuses that total +10, you can't add another bonus point to any stat until you have a second heart filled up. Though somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I observed.

Ricker

The general boss-fight strategy is:

Set all your guys to all-out attack with the triangle button.

When boss starts a super attack

Set all your guys to all-out defense with square button.

You run around healing your guys, and casting your most efficient damage spell against the boss, while picking up health and mana.

Depending on the touchness of the boss, you may want your guys on all-out defense all the time.

I feel like, if you understand this, the boss fights aren't so bad, and you won't be as annoyed by the limits of your AI companions.

However, the above isn't intuitive, so there's no shame in being irritated that your guys keep dying.

Sorry but this isn't working at all at the Boss I am now....I will give up on this game soon,the fight is ridiculous,I don't have any AoE spells or attack,all out or all defense looks useless,the big chance that Drippy says happens only makes things worst,Swaine dies at some point and then all hell breaks loose etc etc...awful Boss fight...I will spoiler who and asks for help or tips otherwise I am done because you are kind of stuck grinding in a little area and its getting boring...

That Jellyfish inside Drippy's Mom's tummy

Sorry but this isn't working at all at the Boss I am now....I will give up on this game soon,the fight is ridiculous,I don't have any AoE spells or attack,all out or all defense looks useless,the big chance that Drippy says happens only makes things worst,Swaine dies at some point and then all hell breaks loose etc etc...awful Boss fight...I will spoiler who and asks for help or tips otherwise I am done because you are kind of stuck grinding in a little area and its getting boring...

You really should have AOE attacks available at that point -- at least one of your familiars should have something that does the trick. Go into their ability menu and look for stuff that says it will affect all enemies. Try catching one of the familiars from that area if you don't? For the basic strategy, you need to have all out offense during that battle and then have your AOE familiar/character crowd control
the spawn that eventually come out
. If you really are having trouble, have one AI tactic set to heal (Esther).

Edit: Or use the keep away tactic outlined below by others, that also works.

Beckx

This fight is doable about 24ish (now done it twice).

If you're around that level you won't be able to keep everyone alive, don't try. Your strategy is basically this: run around as Oliver, stay away from the boss, use Fireball when you can, and grab blue glims every chance you get. You MUST use Defend on Bolt from the Blue, so be ready for it - don't rush to try to get in multiple fireballs since that can leave you open. Gold glims will help shorten the fight with Burning Heart. Do NOT attack the
small jellies
that appear at 25% health. Just continue running away and fireballing when you have the MP for it.

After this, I highly, highly recommend following the level up strategy I posted above. Killing 14 tokos (and the assorted trash kills you'll get) is the difference between painful 10 minute boss fights and facerolling.

parazen

Neo Member
The jelly fish boss is where I first began this strategy, and it does help. Also, I'm new here, so I DON'T KNOW HOW TO BLACK OUT SPOILERS.

Sorry.

But hey, the jelly fish boss. So, thing to know number 1:

1) Use fireball. I know, I know, your other spells hit harder. But if you normalize for mana cost, fireball is actually your most efficient spell.

2) Heal! Your heal spell costs 3 mana and heals for 33!!!!! That's an 11 to 1 use to mana ratio! That's incredible! Heal Esther and whatsisface.

3) As soon as the jelly fish begins either blast from the blue, or confusing whack, hit square to defend your Ai homies, and defend yourself. When the jelly fish isn't doing those attacks, then all-out attack.

4) Kill the babies - when the jellyfish summons her young, she becomes stunned. Drippy is all like "Now's yooer chance, mun! Git hir!" NO. Ignore the mother - with some slice and dices from mitey, you can kill all the young before the mother recovers from her sleep state.

5) Keep healing and fireballing your way to victory.

Ricker

This fight is doable about 24ish (now done it twice).

If you're around that level you won't be able to keep everyone alive, don't try. Your strategy is basically this: run around as Oliver, stay away from the boss, use Fireball when you can, and grab blue glims every chance you get. You MUST use Defend on Bolt from the Blue, so be ready for it - don't rush to try to get in multiple fireballs since that can leave you open. Gold glims will help shorten the fight with Burning Heart. Do NOT attack the
small jellies
that appear at 25% health. Just continue running away and fireballing when you have the MP for it.

After this, I highly, highly recommend following the level up strategy I posted above. Killing 14 tokos (and the assorted trash kills you'll get) is the difference between painful 10 minute boss fights and facerolling.

Bah I am level 27....I tried some other tactics,I do have a great AoE fire spell from one of my Familiars and I used that to kill all the baby fish but at one point,I only had Esther left and that familiar,no more pheonix to resurect Oliver so I died again...came a little closer but I dont know I just cant get in the groove with the controls and all that switching and looking for his special attack and hit auto this and auto that while spinning the wheel with L2/R2,L1 to switch characters and directional pad up and down etc etc...I was managing until this Boss but can't do all this...I'll keep trying and gain a few levels I guess...

Bah I am level 27....I tried some other tactics,I do have a great AoE fire spell from one of my Familiars and I used that to kill all the baby fish but at one point,I only had Esther left and that familiar,no more pheonix to resurect Oliver so I died again...came a little closer but I dont know I just cant get in the groove with the controls and all that switching and looking for his special attack and hit auto this and auto that while spinning the wheel with L2/R2,L1 to switch characters and directional pad up and down etc etc...I was managing until this Boss but can't do all this...I'll keep trying and gain a few levels I guess...

Try playing more conservatively then. It can be challenging to react to the tells of an enemy's attack, so be on the safe side and maybe get in one or two attacks, then just run around with Defend queued up for when the boss does its AOE attack. Also, I would suggest maybe not toggling between characters so much as picking one and only going back and forth between familiars for this battle. I don't think you really need to be switching between main characters at this point.

Thanks. Any idea how much grinding I'll need to do to get the appropriate metamorph?

Most people seem to think going over to the valley/path near Perdida and fighting Tokotokos will get the job done the fastest. They give you like 15-20K EXP. So, depends on how many of those you encounter. Or you can take the Familiars with you through the story further. Just depends on which method you want to do.

jwk94

Anybody else have trouble playing this game with other people? I live in a dorm so I mostly play with another person in the room. Whenever I play and my roommate is there, he constantly berates me with his "gay" it looks because it has children. Honestly, it's incredibly annoying, almost to the point where I don't even want to play the game anymore.

Derrick01

Banned

I did it around 23-24 after a few tries. Basically I had to equip that cross slash move that Oliver's first familiar uses and then equip this AOE water move that Esther's first familiar learns eventually and spam those moves when all the little ones come out. I also got lucky that a few golden things fell so we used the big special abilities a few times.

Owzers

I'm walking up to the volcano now, a few hours into the game, at about lvl 15ish with my main characters...I want to like this game more than i do, the ally a.i. is horrible. The only tactics they can manage is using up all their mp during easier battles or forcing them to use no mp with nothing in between. They also seem like they don't understand the battle system with changing familiars or even blocking/evading super attacks.

zeopower6

Anybody else have trouble playing this game with other people? I live in a dorm so I mostly play with another person in the room. Whenever I play and my roommate is there, he constantly berates me with his "gay" it looks because it has children. Honestly, it's incredibly annoying, almost to the point where I don't even want to play the game anymore.

That sounds pretty ignorant and extremely rude of him. Maybe just try to tune him out somehow or ignore it? I mean if you have no other place to play the game without him heckling you, the only other option would be to not play it when he's around. :(

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The translator who worked on this is British, right? If not, he must be obsessed with Brit-speak, since it's so well done here, Swain and Fairytown are fountains of good colloqials...

zychi

Banned
That sounds pretty ignorant and extremely rude of him. Maybe just try to tune him out somehow or ignore it? I mean if you have no other place to play the game without him heckling you, the only other option would be to not play it when he's around. :(

I'm sure the roommate is one of those "cod bros," which, is actually more gay based on how many women you see, and how many 13 year olds use the derogatory term for a homosexual while playing.

Basically, don't let this dude bother you quote of quote guy. enjoy what you enjoy, as long as it doesnt hurt another individual, enjoy it. game is fantastic :)

zeopower6

The translator who worked on this is British, right? If not, he must be obsessed with Brit-speak, since it's so well done here, Swain and Fairytown are fountains of good colloqials...

Not sure, but I just know he was born in Australia. (Richard Honeywood) I think there was a localization team that helped from the UK. I'd never heard of Shloc before though but they seem legitimate.

https://twitter.com/ShlocLtd

There's also an article about the audition/casting process here that mentions Shloc:
http://www.develop-online.net/features/1800/Re-imagining-Ni-No-Kuni-for-the-West

The voice director was mentioned in the article as well, his name is Mark Healy and he provided vocals for The Witcher 2, Dragon Age, and Dragon Age: Origins. He also directed voice overs for Fable III and Killzone: Liberation.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Not sure, but I just know he was born in Australia. (Richard Honeywood) I think there was a localization team that helped from the UK. I'd never heard of Shloc before though but they seem legitimate.

https://twitter.com/ShlocLtd
Ah, that might explain it. I really love Brit-speak, so his translation has been really great to take in so far.

RedSwirl

Is equipment even that important in this game? I feel like I'm totally neglecting it and I'm fine so far.

Also, what boss are people having trouble with at level 25?

Beckx

Is equipment even that important in this game? I feel like I'm totally neglecting it and I'm fine so far.

Also, what boss are people having trouble with at level 25?

Common point to encounter either
Royal Jelly
or (at my house) have powered past that one and ran smack into a wall with
Porco Grosso

Edit: equip is all about stat bonuses, and so level can translate into not needing it as much. It's not like other RPGs where not using armor means you get pasted with huge hits.

Quick question.

I just got
Swaine in my party
and
about the board the boat in Castaway Cove
. I know there's a
dragon that lets you fly around the map
. Am I close to it?

A simple yes or no would suffice. Thanks. :)

Top Bottom