• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

MadFuzzy

Not sure, but I just know he was born in Australia. (Richard Honeywood) I think there was a localization team that helped from the UK. I'd never heard of Shloc before though but they seem legitimate.

https://twitter.com/ShlocLtd

There's also an article about the audition/casting process here that mentions Shloc:
http://www.develop-online.net/features/1800/Re-imagining-Ni-No-Kuni-for-the-West

The voice director was mentioned in the article as well, his name is Mark Healy and he provided vocals for The Witcher 2, Dragon Age, and Dragon Age: Origins. He also directed voice overs for Fable III and Killzone: Liberation.

Shloc are a new name but a number of their staff have worked individually on a number of JRPGs translations in the past. I believe that some of them assisted Plus Alpha with the translations of the DS DQ games, plus they worked on the Inazuma Eleven games too.

Like Richard Honeywood, some of them are ex-Square localisation staff (from Europe rather than Japan) which explains a lot about the "feel" of the Ni no Kuni localisation.

Neverfade

vZcGEMw.jpg

Oh thank jesus. Finally.

true Gek

Someone bought the Digital version? I've downloaded it 3 times and every time when I start the game appears the message that the data are corrupted... GRRRR

Replicant

How many save slots does this game have? I want to save as much as possible but I don't want to be stumped later on when I find out that it only has 3 or so slots.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
How many save slots does this game have? I want to save as much as possible but I don't want to be stumped later on when I find out that it only has 3 or so slots.

I don't think it's really limited, I would suggest cycling through 3 just in-case of corruption. There is really no reason to keep archive saves since nothing is really missable. Unless of course you are going for 100% bestiary entries... I'm actually not sure that is possible, unless they don't count some of the 3rd form familiars.

BeeDog

Got my copy yesterday, so time to try it out! I just have one question; are there any missable trophies in this game?

profit

Woo just got it! Last copy in the store.
Hope I can start it today, although I wont have much play time the next couple of days...

Anival

Banned
Does anyone else use Megalith? hes ok but he is defensive as hell, at level 17 he already has over 200 defense. Gave mine to swaine and hes constantly switching to if when hes getting attacked.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Oh man, someone tell me if there's a wayo ut of this. I've got a Toko ready to be tamed, but Mitey's super charged, and I can't switch to anyone else

one_kill

This game reminds me of Little King's Story on Wii. The cartoon visuals with a mostly lighthearted aesthetic, an overworld with observable enemies, and the somewhat similar battle systems.

I'm really enjoying it thus far.

Also, I'd like to mention that the official guide is fairly good. I like how it shows you where the hidden items are, and offers advice regarding what level you should be at before going to an area or how to fight bosses. One thing I don't like, however, is that their sections on errands is a bit lacking. I would've liked more pictures or representations on a map as I generally have trouble with text-based instructions. Regardless, I recommend it. There's a lot of awesome interviews, the build is nice, and it's a comprehensive guide.

Finalow

Spoilering just in case.
Toko's are on Ugly Duckling isle. It's the south-eastern most island in the cluster to the north-east of the Summerlands. Tokotoko's are in Billy Goat's Bluff, which if you sail from Ugly Duckling is just a short way east and slight bit south from there, on Autumnia.Tough enemies there, though. Toko's run away quickly, so target them as soon as the battle starts.
I'm going there now, just killed
CANDELABRACADABRA

Ricker

All great tips guys but where I am stuck now,there is no Toko's or what not...you are stuck in this little area,with 3 or 4 mobs to grind over and over,with the stores having nothing interesting to buy or it's too expensive,pretty soon the ennemies will run away from me because I will be overleveled for them but the Boss is still a huge pain in the ass...

I'm giving the Royal Jelly guy a few more tries this morning,I realise part of the problems are on my side but still,this fight in this area should not be this hard...

Beckx

All great tips guys but where I am stuck now,there is no Toko's or what not...you are stuck in this little area,with 3 or 4 mobs to grind over and over,with the stores having nothing interesting to buy or it's too expensive,pretty soon the ennemies will run away from me because I will be overleveled for them but the Boss is still a huge pain in the ass...

I'm giving the Royal Jelly guy a few more tries this morning,I realise part of the problems are on my side but still,this fight in this area should not be this hard...

What level are you now? 27, right? You can get through this. Put the difficulty down to Easy on the options screen. There are no trophies associated with it, and it doesn't make things very much easier at any rate. Try the soloing strategy (fireball it to death).

Bladenic

This might be the prettiest game I've ever played. The music is also amazing. I'm having a blast, finally getting to play after not having the ability to play for different circumstances despite having the game since 2 weeks ago.

I'm soooooo loving Drippy's voice over. I'm just smiling and laughing at what he's coming out with. Just started the game but really entertaining from the off.

Cartman86

Banned
About 12 hours in and I'm having a ton of fun. This is probably an animation issue, but I find the visuals lacking in much of the charm I was hoping for. It sits right in the middle of where I feel it needs to be. It's not up there with the Pixar style games (Ratchet and Clank) and yet it doesn't really emulate the 2D low frame rate anime style either. I don't know if you could do a polygon game like an anime, but what they got now is just bleh. There are just so many dead eyes, and boring animations. Overall it works out because of the general quality of writing, good voice acting, and OCD friendly gameplay.

Rootbeer

Banned
I'm looking to trade a PSN Griffy familiar code (amazon gave me an extra) for any exclusive familiar I do not already have. Griffy and Golden Hurley. PM if interested :3

Replicant

This is such a relaxing game for me. I don't understand the complaints about the battle. It seems rather easy but still challenging because you can't just sit around and hope not getting hit by the enemy. I like doing the merit award missions. It reminds me so much of the missions in "End of Eternity" ("Resonance of Fate"). I already claimed 2 of the merit award cards.

daveo42

Banned
What level are you now? 27, right? You can get through this. Put the difficulty down to Easy on the options screen. There are no trophies associated with it, and it doesn't make things very much easier at any rate. Try the soloing strategy (fireball it to death).

If you have the evolved form (lvl 2) of the first mite you get (can't remember the name) or Little Bighorn leveled up some, you can have Oliver tank it and still do some decent damage as well. The mite is also good for his multi enemy attacks to get rid of jelly adds and his special move can be quite powerful.

I beat it last night with a mix of having Esther on heals, Oliver on back up, and keeping Oliver alive till the end. Still had to solo with him and his familiars.

ekim

The general boss-fight strategy is:

Set all your guys to all-out attack with the triangle button.

When boss starts a super attack

Set all your guys to all-out defense with square button.

You run around healing your guys, and casting your most efficient damage spell against the boss, while picking up health and mana.

Depending on the touchness of the boss, you may want your guys on all-out defense all the time.

I feel like, if you understand this, the boss fights aren't so bad, and you won't be as annoyed by the limits of your AI companions.

However, the above isn't intuitive, so there's no shame in being irritated that your guys keep dying.

When I press square or triangle, nothing happens. Am I missing something here?

daveo42

Banned
When I press square or triangle, nothing happens. Am I missing something here?

It's not unlocked until a certain point in the game. Really helps out with boss battles.

I think you still need to set your character/familiar to defend/evade as well since all-out defense and all-out attack only modifies the AI actions.

This is such a relaxing game for me. I don't understand the complaints about the battle. It seems rather easy but still challenging because you can't just sit around and hope not getting hit by the enemy. I like doing the merit award missions. It reminds me so much of the missions in "End of Eternity" ("Resonance of Fate"). I already claimed 2 of the merit award cards.

I think my main issue with the battle system is just that it's not the sort of battle system I tend to enjoy anyway, it's not necessarily a big knock on the system itself, more to do with my own preferences, I guess.

Definitely agree about the game being generally relaxing, it's really lovely and I'm now really enjoying the story and have been enjoying pursuing sidequests from the moment they became available.

burnfout

Can i get Griffy in my Euro game?

Also, I am trying to level a Draggle, but he levels twice as slow as all my other familiars? Will he become extra powerful or something? Worth leveling?

Le_Darck

Banned
:-/ and how shall I win my boss battle now :(

Best strat I found as most people mentioned was to use Olivier as a casting/healing character in boss fights. If the AI ever dies, simply stay ranged, block major attacks and get the orbs when you can.

Sane_Man

Is this available anywhere online in the UK? I can't remember the last time I couldn't find a new game! I thought the need for pre-order was a thing of the past. Dammit.

I'd download it but I feel like my hard drive is 20gb.. (I'm away for weekend so can't check, but I got the fat one in like 2008. Anyone know if that was 20gb?).

JohngPR

Tried forcing playing last night despite being tired because of work (I work 24 hour shifts) but only could play for 30 mins before I went to bed. Today though....will be different!

laika09

"Relaxing" is an interesting word to use. This game is at its best when it's pure whimsy and adventure (which it is most of the time), and it's a definitely relaxing feeling. Unfortunately, some of the design decisions do no service to this at all: grinding several hours for a Derwin quest, losing to a poorly tuned boss on its third form and having to fight all three forms again, finding random encounter enemies with instant death abilities. I didn't hate the battle system until the latter part of the game, when the leveling curve gets completely blown up and battles start to take much more intricate strategy; that's precisely when the janky combat mechanics fail.

There's a thousand small mechanical deficiencies that great games get right, but this one leaves bare. You can't open the main menu while
flying on Tengri
. When learning a new familiar ability that puts you over the limit, you can't choose the new ability as the one you want to forget. Familiars don't show any equipment, when some quests require knowing the specific items you have equipped. When enemies are running away from you and hit a curved wall, they'll turn around and run right into you.

I'm glad that this game exists, and I even hope it gets a sequel. I enjoyed the vast majority of my time playing it. I'm really glad that other people are, too. It's frustrating to me, though, that it doesn't quite live up to its potential.

Amir0x

Banned
In that one sidequest in Hamelin where you have to try to make the plant grow... after you use the growth spell and then she says it won't quite work you need a sun familiar...

I have a sun familiar, but it still isn't working? Does only the unevolved version work or some shit?

anddo0

why are green chests so difficult to get?

I'm standing Yule forest staring right at one and the icon refuses to pop up.

dock

Buckled and decided to pay high street prices for this today, only to find it's sold out everywhere.

No way I'm paying £50 for a download only version of this.

Sounds like Namco really dropped the ball with the release of this.

Top Bottom