• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

1stStrike

Banned
I'm torn. The game looks, visually, fantastic but the entire cast being a bunch of what appear to be 8 year olds is putting me off as I prefer RPG's with a more mature story. I'll wait for reviews and some real feedback on the game before I decide on whether I'll make the jump or not.

Eusis

38 gig or something, good luck downloading that. lol
It's 18 GB I believe, it's just you need 36 or 38 open to install.

But that's still really damn big, I think it's basically only there for people who somehow have amazing internet but no stores to buy it from quicker than it can download (or can't hit one up for whatever reason), or more likely are all for going pure digital.

Toki767

The game is 19GB, it's 38GB to download/install.

Ah, that's a relief. I may leave my Wizard's Edition unopened...but if I were going to buy it on PSN I may as well just pre-order at Gamestop for the steelbook...so many tough decisions.

Mature

I'm torn. The game looks, visually, fantastic but the entire cast being a bunch of what appear to be 8 year olds is putting me off as I prefer RPG's with a more mature story. I'll wait for reviews and some real feedback on the game before I decide on whether I'll make the jump or not.
Are Ghibli movies not mature enough for you?

madhtr

Many children would be scarred for life if they watched many Ghibli movies, or played the beginning of this game... Just saying.

I've found that the age of the protagonist rarely has anything to do with the maturity of the content. Gears of War isn't particularly mature.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone know if this game has a mandatory or optional install and how big it is?

zeopower6

Grave of the Fireflies is the only one that would be legitimately scarring.

Actually, would kids get scarred by that movie? I don't know if they would know what is going on at a certain age and kind of just tune out compared to adults who pretty much are scarred!for!life after watching.

There are a lot of Ghibli films with 'darker' sides to them though that children in the West probably should not watch. (though in Japan, that level is like 'eh our preschoolers can handle it' but that notion has changed a bit since they've even edited blood out of Dragon Ball recently)

Anyone know if this game has a mandatory or optional install and how big it is?

I read a report that the Japanese edition's is 3300MB. Probably should expect about the same for the Western version.

Eusis

Many children would be scarred for life if they watched many Ghibli movies, or played the beginning of this game... Just saying.
That's because today's kids are pussies. Or you're underestimating them, I don't recall much out of Ghibli that'd really be out of place in a Disney movie, Princess Mononoke and Grave of the Fireflies (which I haven't seen yet) being THE exceptions. Not unless I'm both underestimating and misremembering what happens at the start.

... Actually, I just remembered Up's opening sequence. You're definitely underestimating.

madhtr

That's because today's kids are pussies. Or you're underestimating them, I don't recall much out of Ghibli that'd really be out of place in a Disney movie, Princess Mononoke and Grave of the Fireflies (which I haven't seen yet) being THE exceptions. Not unless I'm both underestimating and misremembering what happens at the start.

... Actually, I just remembered Up's opening sequence. You're definitely underestimating.

Maybe I'm over thinking things, but there are points in a lot of the movies that would like give kids nightmares, but then again, as someone mentioned, some Disney movies have similar moments.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
That's assuming it's from disc, I think. Actually DLing from PSN would require the full disc space, I would think.
Sure, was talking about from disc.

Also, I know "Long live the king" scarred (hoho!) me :<

madhtr

Sure, was talking about from disc.

Also, I know "Long live the king" scarred (hoho!) me :<

Oops, I actually didn't see you original question. My apologies. 3 gigs definitely isn't that bad of an install.

I guess some kids will just think some of the Ghibli stuff, that I think scars them, is actually awesome instead. They really have no reason to get emotionally involved in the stories, and won't understand many references or what is going on.

The former has quite a bit violence, gore, and scary scenes while the latter is just soul-crushingly depressing (
carrying around your dead's sister's ashes and bone fragments in her favorite candy tin until you die of starvation yourself-depressing
). Definitely a step above Up.

2San

Damn, it really hurts not to have a PS3 right now. It seems the game is received really well here in the west, somehow I recall Japan not really liking it. Or is that my imagination?

Eusis

The former has quite a bit violence, gore, and scary scenes while the latter is just soul-crushingly depressing (
carrying around your dead's sister's ashes and bone fragments in her favorite candy tin until you die of starvation yourself-depressing
). Definitely a step above Up.
And that's why they're the exceptions: they're both much darker or at least more gruesome. But stuff like Laputa, Porco Roso, Spirited Away, and Ponyo along with way more are mostly or entirely non-issues for kids. And I'm guessing Ni No Kuni at its worst will be more Up than Grave of the Fireflies.

Damn, it really hurts not to have a PS3 right now. It seems the game is received really well here in the west, somehow I recall Japan not really liking it. Or is that my imagination?

I believe that Aeana has said that it's Level 5's highest user rated game on some Japanese site. It just didn't sell all that well.

Grave of the Fireflies is the only one that would be legitimately scarring.
... And Princess Mononoke maybe.

And that's why they're the exceptions: they're both much darker or at least more gruesome. But stuff like Laputa, Porco Roso, Spirited Away, and Ponyo along with way more are mostly or entirely non-issues for kids. And I'm guessing Ni No Kuni at its worst will be more Up than Grave of the Fireflies.

Spirited Away is pretty gruesome in one particular scene.

zeopower6

I believe that Aeana has said that it's Level 5's highest user rated game on some Japanese site. It just didn't sell all that well.

The game has a 4/5 on Japanese Amazon with about 200~ reviews.

It could be Famitsu though or something, I don't know. But anyway, main issues were kind of obvious, but people were able to look past those for the most part and gave 4 or 5 star reviews.

Just glancing over the contents of negative reviews though, it seemed like these were common:
- story is the ~same~ as the DS game (I thought this was covered by Level-5 at some point)
- needs professional voice actors, not ones that are not famous
- could be too difficult for children despite being 'marketed as kid friendly' (probably why the easy mode was added)
- feels SLOW, script was stale
- expected something more like Ghibli, didn't meet expectations (however, I think these people may have set their bar a bit high)
- main character is too young for PS3 userbase

Dug up a few 4gamer ratings... http://www.4gamer.net/games/114/G011461/

It's pretty high. 89/100 average user ratings.

i wonder. if there's a set number for these WE or they just plan to open and get as many more orders in with a slight delay in shipping?

Eusis

Spirited Away is pretty gruesome in one particular scene.
I must've forgotten that one, was
Haku seriously injured at one point in dragon form
? At any rate nothing on
shooting off a guy's arms with a single super charged arrow... shot with an arm coursing with liquid tentacles.

1stStrike

Banned
This is what's putting me off from this review:

With three characters eventually filling up your party, and with each character bringing with them three Familiar's slots, the decisions you make here can really make a difference.

The system ultimately begins to feel limited. Though you can have a number of different Familiars, the fact that they can only 'Metomorphise' a maximum of three times (increasing their level cap after a brief reset) means there's only so much that can be done with them.

The true breadth to the combat comes with the number of Familiars you get through to the final evolutionary stages and what they can do for you in battle, but its simplicity can feel rigid.

It's not the only problem you'll face with the combat, though. With three characters to jump between and unreliable AI, depending on your companions during a fight can hamper your progress.

Micro-managing becomes unrealistic when all you really need to do is focus your attacks on an enemy's weak point. When relying on Oliver's skills to block and parry attacks is the only thing you can count on, the later battles that prove a real challenge can end up feeling unfair.

Never mind the frustrations that can arise from characters failing to move through a hectic battlefield or becoming stuck underneath a larger foe's feet.

Source

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

It could be Famitsu though or something, I don't know. But anyway, main issues were kind of obvious, but people were able to look past those for the most part and gave 4 or 5 star reviews.

Just glancing over the contents of negative reviews though, it seemed like these were common:
- story is the ~same~ as the DS game (I thought this was covered by Level-5 at some point)
- needs professional voice actors, not ones that are not famous
- could be too difficult for children despite being 'marketed as kid friendly' (probably why the easy mode was added)
- feels SLOW, script was stale
- expected something more like Ghibli, didn't meet expectations (however, I think these people may have set their bar a bit high)

Dug up 4gamer ratings... http://www.4gamer.net/games/114/G011461/

It's definitely not a bad game, but I think a lot of people may have a hard time getting into it like I did. Everything but the visuals seems really uninspired. It's all put together really well, though, and it's definitely very polished, but I don't know--it just seemed kind of boring to me.

I should probably back to it at some point.

Source

I had a similar impression after playing the game for a few hours and only with two party members. I think "unreliable" would be the best word to describe the combat system. Maybe it gets better later on--I don't know.

i wonder. if there's a set number for these WE or they just plan to open and get as many more orders in with a slight delay in shipping?

I read somewhere in the last few weeks that the US will have 7000 WE sets allocated to Namco Bandai. If this is true, I expect the Club Namco site to be hammered, possibly crash, and quickly sell out tomorrow.

2San

Dug up a few 4gamer ratings... http://www.4gamer.net/games/114/G011461/

Seems pretty well received then, I was probably thinking about sales then.

madhtr

Source

That is weird, since I have seen screens with 4 characters...(maybe they mean 3 playable at a time). Also, if properly leveled, I imagine that doesn't become a huge problem. I can see the AI causing some problems sometimes, but if properly prepared, I'd think you can overcome your issues.

zeopower6

Maybe the reviewer didn't utilize the individual battle command-thing in battle? Though I hear even with that, the combat can sometimes get to be a bit much.

zeopower6

Do we have confirmation for the 10am PST restocking time?

DUQSB.png

Yes, we do. However, I would expect server lag up the wazoo.

Peagles

It doesn't sound like they let you... but there is a Credit Card option if you don't want to use PayPal.

I can't as my credit card isn't a US one. I can put my US shipping address in but I'm sure it'll reject my payment if the billing address doesn't match.

If it doesn't check via Paypal I'm thinking that might be a way around it though. Otherwise I'll really need help from a US person!

zeopower6

I can't as my credit card isn't a US one. I can put my US shipping address in but I'm sure it'll reject my payment if the billing address doesn't match.

If it doesn't check via Paypal I'm thinking that might be a way around it though. Otherwise I'll really need help from a US person!

That is quite the issue...

I wonder if I should try getting one tomorrow morning just in case.

Top Bottom