• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

1stStrike

Banned
Maybe the reviewer didn't utilize the individual battle command-thing in battle? Though I hear even with that, the combat can sometimes get to be a bit much.

In the quote, he stated that micromanaging is unrealistic so I would assume that yes he did.

I'm jaded towards Level 5, as everything they touch seems to become a stale turd in the story department. White Knight Chronicles was like that, Rogue Galaxy was like that, and so on. So, with what I've seen in the reviews so far this is probably, and ultimately, going to be a fantastic looking game with an average story, a so-so combat system, and not nearly as much Ghibli influence as people are expecting.

I'll have to wait and see, though.

zeopower6

In the quote, he stated that micromanaging is unrealistic so I would assume that yes he did.

I'm jaded towards Level 5, as everything they touch seems to become a stale turd in the story department. White Knight Chronicles was like that, Rogue Galaxy was like that, and so on. So, with what I've seen in the reviews so far this is probably, and ultimately, going to be a fantastic looking game with an average story and not nearly as much Ghibli influence as people are expecting.

I'll have to wait and see, though.

I was talking about the battle tactics commands where you can select things for them to do (only available in battle). So you can choose 'Do nothing!', 'Cast magic!', and so on. Like a SUPER simple version of Gambits from FFXII... or maybe more like the simpler tactics system in Tales.

Lucent

I'm torn. The game looks, visually, fantastic but the entire cast being a bunch of what appear to be 8 year olds is putting me off as I prefer RPG's with a more mature story. I'll wait for reviews and some real feedback on the game before I decide on whether I'll make the jump or not.

Guess you didn't like Earthbound? =(

madhtr

Basically, what I have learned from all of the reviews is.

Graphics are great. Music is great. The reviewers seemed rushed. They were underleveled and forced to avoid battles to complete the game. The story is good. The game is fun.

I think I will love the game, based off what little I played in the demo and what I've seen in previews, reviews, and videos. I am ready for my game to ship so I can just refresh the tracking page for a few days.

chrono01

He didn't sniff the book. I am sad.

Haha. Unfortunately, this is not an Atlus unboxing.

But wow, that does look incredible. I'm now kind of tempted to keep mine sealed as well, but then I'd never be able to browse/use the items which would be a waste. :(

...To hell with it, I'm opening/enjoying it!

madhtr

Haha. Unfortunately, this is not an Atlus unboxing.

But wow, that does look incredible. I'm now kind of tempted to keep mine sealed as well, but then I'd never be able to browse/use the items which would be a waste. :(

...To hell with it, I'm opening/enjoying it!

Atlus doesn't even have that now.... I sure hope Aram does some unboxing videos for Sony. I feel a little weird now, though. Hehe.

I want the book, that is my reason for getting this, so I will definitely be opening mine.

Edit: Also, for anyone looking to buy at GS or elsewhere to return the game that comes in the WE, the covers are different, so you'd have to hope either the employee doesn't know or that there's actually a barcode on the game, which I doubt it does.

zroid

Banned
Edit: Also, for anyone looking to buy at GS or elsewhere to return the game that comes in the WE, the covers are different, so you'd have to hope either the employee doesn't know or that there's actually a barcode on the game, which I doubt it does.

Wait, what would be the purpose of this? Just to get the game earlier instead of waiting for the WE to ship? Probably better not to do this, looks like the WE has some exclusive DLC code.

madhtr

Wait, what would be the purpose of this? Just to get the game earlier instead of waiting for the WE to ship? Probably better not to do this, looks like the WE has some exclusive DLC code.

Oh, I agree, but people were talking about doing that earlier on. The DLC is definitely another factor in not doing it, for sure.

Just read through the GI review a few minutes ago and it seems most of the reviewers complaints could easily be countered with taking time in battle, and staying evenly leveled up. I imagine N-B didn't give reviewers more than a few weeks to complete the review (though I could be wrong), and so many likely rushed through the game and were severely under-leveled, without familiars that could have made certain enemies easier.

Just my opinion, though. I feel I will love the game regardless of a score some other person objectively gave to the game.

zeopower6

Looks like the artwork on the prints in the Wizard's Edition was done by Yoshiyuki Momose. We definitely had no Miyazaki involvement, lol.

Eusis

YES> colored manual. they didn't skimp on this game at all.
Yeah, definitely getting sooner and later and physically.

(Watch as it's like 6 pages much like Graces f's.)
Game Informer is simply a Gamestop advertisement pamphlet, no need to be bothered by them.
They seem to be trying awfully hard at getting decent writing staff for just a "GameStop advertisement"! And seriously, it's probably best to view the review more as a counterpoint, it's a reasonable perspective on how the game is good but may not be THE mind blowing game you wished for, this wasn't Etrian Odyssey's review repeated. Someone skeptical could probably do well to read that WITH one of the glowing reviews, while if you made up your mind you shouldn't really care either way.
Looks like the artwork on the prints in the Wizard's Edition was done by Yoshiyuki Momose. We definitely had no Miyazaki involvement, lol.
Not surprised, doesn't he not care much for video games? Well, I'm not sure those feelings apply to something like this quite as much, but either way I think if he were heavily involved it'd more likely be something I'd REALLY like. Or at least I'd prefer the designs better, even if he practically recycles like 6 designs.

malfcn

Ordered at GS for the steelbook, but *now* the fiancee really wants the CE. What is shipping cost and likely hood of scoring one tomorrow? How many tracks on the CD?

Yeah, definitely getting sooner and later and physically.

(Watch as it's like 6 pages much like Graces f's.)

from the video it looks like the basic. toc, intro, character profile, controller, basic combat and all that. looks like the old days where manuals were good bathroom material.

Ordered at GS for the steelbook, but *now* the fiancee really wants the CE. What is shipping cost and likely hood of scoring one tomorrow? How many tracks on the CD?

2 days is $12
1 day is $18

i say go to site before 10am PST. i'm sure it'll be hard to score one if the site gets hammered.

malfcn

from the video it looks like the basic. toc, intro, character profile, controller, basic combat and all that. looks like the old days where manuals were good bathroom material.

2 days is $12
1 day is $18

i say go to site before 10am PST. i'm sure it'll be hard to score one if the site gets hammered.

Is there a free or cheap standard delivery?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The JP voice performances are really bad. If you read any user review of the game, it's guaranteed to be mentioned. It's very sad, since a lot of the actors are talented and well-known (some screen actors).
It's funny, because whenever I watch one of the Disney'd Ghibli movies, I make it a point to switch to original Japanese instantly, it's always stunt-casting for the English voices anyway...

But here, I've gotta train myself to stay away from the Japanese, ha.

Decado

Is this a challenging game? The game looks kinda neat...but I can't help feel that the target age is really young (pokemon influence, child "heroes" etc.).

zeopower6

I don't think Ghibli cast for this game, nor did they have the same ADR director or whatever so the quality isn't going to be the same, I guess.

However, I think it should be up to people to judge whether the voices are 'bad'. If all you do is say "the Japanese track is horrible", isn't that basically sabotaging that track for them? I'm personally fond of the Japanese voices -and- the dub on some level.

Is this a challenging game? The game looks kinda neat...but I can't help feel that the target age is really young (pokemon influence, child "heroes" etc.).

The target age imo is anyone from like young children to adults who are young at heart. I don't know if it's particularly challenging though... some people had major issues with the demo though despite being overpowered so if you rush through/don't know what you're doing, it could spell disaster for you.

madhtr

The more you rush through the game, the harder it is. Bosses seem like they could be tough if you're not properly leveled, but regular enemies seem fairly easy.

Eusis

By most accounts it can be fairly challenging, so don't worry about that. Unless you DID want Easy, they apparently added an Easy mode later on.

(And Pokemon's not really that easy anyway.)

Decado

The more you rush through the game, the harder it is. Bosses seem like they could be tough if you're not properly leveled, but regular enemies seem fairly easy.

That, on the flip side, is also a bit worrisome. RPGs that have really easy regular battles and tough boss battles to promote grinding are an insta-miss, for me.

Well, we'll see what the consensus is in a while.

madhtr

That, on the flip side, is also a bit worrisome. RPGs that have really easy regular battles and tough boss battles to promote grinding are an insta-miss, for me.

Keep in mind I'm basing this on my short time playing the demo. I imagine once you learn the battle system, and get familiar with your familiars, the bosses will become easier as well.

zeopower6

I think as long as you stick to the strategies/weak points and expose bosses' weaknesses to certain types, you should be fine and grinding may not be needed. I think I saw some people at around level 40-50 during the endgame?

madhtr

I think as long as you stick to the strategies/weak points and expose bosses' weaknesses to certain types, you should be fine and grinding may not be needed. I think I saw some people at around level 40-50 during the endgame?

I see some people playing it on twitter having trouble with bosses and talking of tough patches. Could be interesting. I am one of those people that over-level in games, though.

zeopower6

Just a semi-spoiler-y thing that you can get post-game for the world map (it's not too big of a deal but people may not want this to be spoiled for them so DO NOT LOOK if you don't want to know about events from the beginning of the game):
After you finish the game, apparently you can do some events and get a little car to ride around in on the world map. This is the same car that Oliver rides in during the beginning of the game that malfunctions and crashes into a river which his mom ends up trying to save him from and ends up passing away due to her bad heart.

It's a pretty neat bonus imo.

Eusis

Still looks like a 20ish page manual... Much better than we've been getting. Hell, DmC has no manual in it, only a page of warnings.
Sad thing is just a year ago Capcom was actually good with manuals going by RE:R, Dragon's Dogma, and Asura's Wrath (though that didn't need one really). I guess that immediately collapsed with the release of RE6. :/

Top Bottom