• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

Game finally shipped. Delivery date tomorrow. Now I hope I don't get side tracked and stop playing this like I did with P4. I know I'm a bad gamer lately.

Magpul

Banned
It seems like one my biggest fears about the game is being confirmed by the GameSpot reviewer. There are familiars in the game that are utterly worthless even after spending hours and hours on them and evolving them. Hoping that it doesn't prove to be a big hindrance on the gameplay.

Replicant

Well, it got posted at the end of a page, but in regards to shipping:

"Dumb question but I've never ordered online through GameStop, let alone pre-ordered, so; Do they ship the game on the release date? Or will it arrive by the release date? "

Gamestop just shipped my copy so I imagine they're doing the same with all of the orders now.

Acrylic7

eh, I'm just going to show up as soon as they open, just in case they have an extra or 2.

Cant wait for this game. Hope it sells. Level 5 and gamers need this to succeed!

Lucent

It seems like one my biggest fears about the game is being confirmed by the GameSpot reviewer. There are familiars in the game that are utterly worthless even after spending hours and hours on them and evolving them. Hoping that it doesn't prove to be a big hindrance on the gameplay.

Yeah that would be bad. Though there were always pokemon that I never bothered with using. LOL!

But yeah I hope they aren't quite like weapons/armor where it's like "yeah I like the look of this but it's better to use this cuz stats"

Mmm, 10-15 dollars off preorders. So good.

Yeah I wish they'd do more of those again. I should've taken advantage of those when they were seemingly doing them like every week. I only have Dead Space 3 for $44.99 coming from there.

Eusis

I'm hoping with Jim Sterling t's just one of those "MAN I'M GRINDING SO LONG IT'S FUCKING AMAZING" when in reality you can avoid that with smart playing. Kind of like what I've seen happen with Dragon Quest where one guy was talking about how fun it was to grind or whatever, when just casually exploring and being smart about your equipment purchases will do the trick instead.

Goli

I'm hoping with Jim Sterling t's just one of those "MAN I'M GRINDING SO LONG IT'S FUCKING AMAZING" when in reality you can avoid that with smart playing. Kind of like what I've seen happen with Dragon Quest where one guy was talking about how fun it was to grind or whatever, when just casually exploring and being smart about your equipment purchases will do the trick instead.

Pretty much every game I've played where other people have complained they have to grind I've seen that's the case, where they're not playing as they should.
I'm expecting the same for this.

codhand

DQ 9, I wanted to just casually explore and make wise equipment choices, but I felt cut off from the options that didn't involve grinding.

Eusis

Pretty much every game I've played where other people have complained they have to grind I've seen that's the case, where they're not playing as they should.
I'm expecting the same for this.
Well, it's a unique issue when they PRAISE grinding. I figure you can more easily scare people off that way if it's not really necessary as that implies it's a big reason to like the game, and could plausibly eliminate the possibility they were just playing wrong and rushing.
DQ 9, I wanted to just casually explore and make wise equipment choices, but I felt cut off from the options that didn't involve grinding.
I admittedly did get carried away at points because metal slime hunting's addictive, but usually if I was in over my head I just looked elsewhere, I think that's the intent in DQ games when you're facing too strong of enemies.

Has anyone had their Wizard's Edition ship yet? I tried to look at my order status, but it says my order number doesn't exist. I'm not sure what to think about that, but they took my money in July and it hasn't went back in my Paypal account, so hopefully I'm good.

madhtr

Has anyone had their Wizard's Edition ship yet? I tried to look at my order status, but it says my order number doesn't exist. I'm not sure what to think about that, but they took my money in July and it hasn't went back in my Paypal account, so hopefully I'm good.

They say it won't ship until after 1/22/13 on the website, and someone called and was told it'd ship before Friday. That's all we know.

Ricker

They got their steelbook cases in a week ago and the numbers shipped are lower than what were pre-ordered. Just got this news from 3 stores in Austin, TX

Same here way over in the Montreal area...they finally called me and she said since I pre-ordered a while back I will get the Steelcase but they are limited and some pre-orders might not even get them(she was talking for all the Gamestop's in Canada I guess).

jwk94

So I called my GameStop on campus to ask if I pre-ordered soon enough to get the steelbook case, they said no. After I expressed my disappointment the guy i was talking to - I know these guys pretty well - was like "eh, they're not that great, we even smashed one of them. Our manager dropped it and it got smashed," and started laughing. I just sat there in disabelief and let out a half-hearted chuckle. This is the last time I buy anything from this GameStop.

madhtr

So I called my GameStop on campus to ask if I pre-ordered soon enough to get the steelbook case, they said no. After I expressed my disappointment the guy i was talking to - I know these guys pretty well - was like "eh, they're not that great, we even smashed one of them. Our manager dropped it and it got smashed," and started laughing. I just sat there in disabelief and let out a half-hearted chuckle. This is the last time I buy anything from this GameStop.

I hate when people show they don't care about how they do their job... :/ I hope I'll have luck getting one tomorrow, and hope you get lucky when you show up.

Eusis

That actually DOES make me wonder if maybe they're not particularly durable steelbooks. Guess we'll wait and see, not that I'm likely to get one unless I come in to shift pre-order credit and they have spares somehow.

bigmac996

I'm 13 hours in as of now, and I'd like to give some of my impressions on this thang.

The game is incredibly gorgeous. I can't get over how nice it looks, and as an owner of all Ghibli movies, the fact that it feels like one is amazing. Only downside is the repetition of NPCs in the cities so far.

As for gameplay, the game plays pretty well. The battle system is great, and mastering it is extremely satisfying. Only downside is that the AI controlled teammates NEVER (in my game) block major attacks from bosses, which is extremely annoying. It results in me either fighting alone for the rest of the battle as Oliver or constantly healing/ eating food. Also, MP goes out incredibly fast. You can collect those little orbs, but even after getting a Merit Award for increased orbs on the battlefield, you still have to constantly use items to regenerate your MP.

The difficulty definitely spikes right around the old smoky boss from the demo, with the bosses beforehand being incredibly easy. It's not a bad thing really, and with the amount of enemy encounters the game primes you up for leveling pretty easily. There are a LOT of encounters despite being able to see the enemy as they can often outrun you.

One other thing that bothers me are some of the sidequests involving the "heart" system. It's all incredibly easy and obvious and just seems pretty lame. Take the heart of a courageous person and give it to someone who needs it. Drippy pretty much spells out what you need to get for each person too. The bounty hunts are great, though. Love those. And the fetch quests are decent. Overall, there's a good variety but the heart quests are kinda lame.

Another grindy aspect would be how your familiars reset at level 1 if you metamorphose them. It's not too bad, as you have to strategize when to evolve them as well as who is holding the familiar.

The game is great overall, but there are a few little annoyances so far that kinda detract from the experience. To me, the game so far is no higher than an 8.5/10. I can see why people may dislike it or why people would love it. For me, I'm leaning toward the love it group, but it's definitely not perfect.

Anyway, everyone should definitely buy this. Not just because it's great but to support Level 5 and Bamco so they keep bringin us these gems! I have no doubt Level 5, if they made a sequel, would improve upon this game like crazy.

Johnas

I'm fairly interested in this game, but I've read a few comments here and there about a Pokemon influence.

I've never played Pokemon, is monster catching here a big part of the game? I don't feel like it's something I'd have trouble with, just wondering. I love Dragon Quest V and enjoy the monster catching there just fine, although it's not something I feel is crucial to my enjoyment.

Asking in here instead of digging through reviews, trying to remain fairly spoiler free.

if anyone wants to gameshare their griffy dlc with me, please PM~ T_T

if you've got the gold hurley plus griffy, i could share with you my gold WizEd ones, no? T_T

zeopower6

I'm fairly interested in this game, but I've read a few comments here and there about a Pokemon influence.

I've never played Pokemon, is monster catching here a big part of the game? I don't feel like it's something I'd have trouble with, just wondering. I love Dragon Quest V and enjoy the monster catching there just fine, although it's not something I feel is crucial to my enjoyment.

Asking in here instead of digging through reviews, trying to remain fairly spoiler free.

It's not really something you'd have trouble with since you could potentially just have a small team of Familiars carry you through the entire game. You're definitely going to have to use them though unless you want to go hard-mode and try some sort of human-only run.

Johnas

It's not really something you'd have trouble with since you could potentially just have a small team of Familiars carry you through the entire game. You're definitely going to have to use them though unless you want to go hard-mode and try some sort of human-only run.

That sounds good. I was a little concerned about having to dawdle around to get certain monsters, but if it's like DQV you're fine with whatever you get, and if you do get lucky and get certain monsters at certain times, even better.

Doombear

Did you have a guide by chance or just the game?

my guide hasnt shipped yet :(

but amazon claims ill have it tomorrow, and theyre generally right when i order a book and get it the within 24 hours of shipment

Same boat here. Reg Edition has shipped (bright and early this morning). Guide is grouped in the order, but has not shipped despite it saying estimated arrival is tomorrow. Fingers crossed, but I will be happy with the game tomorrow and the guide a day later if it comes to that. I just want this damn game.

To be fair, UPS destroyed half of the steelbooks we got it. They scratch really easy and every single one of ours has dents in it.

mr stroke

Difficulty spikes were one of the most common complaints with the JP version, and it's why they added easy mode. The demo is not at all representative of the full game.

Can you change the difficultly mid game, or does it have to be set from the start?

Atlantic

Is this going to be a limited production, or can I wait it out until $30 or so a few months down the line? I'm willing to put down the price of admission right now but have more than enough to play to wait it out.

zeopower6

Can you change the difficultly mid game, or does it have to be set from the start?

You change the difficulty at any time in the options menu. However, it doesn't appear that it makes the game that much easier.

Is this going to be a limited production, or can I wait it out until $30 or so a few months down the line? I'm willing to put down the price of admission right now but have more than enough to play to wait it out.

Treat it as though it's going to be limited production. I don't know if this sort of game will ever be available for under 40~ new if NISA games that go out of print are any indication.

RPGCrazied

The steel book is nice, but its not super high quality like the Final Fantasy XII metal tin. Its very glossy, and seems to scratch pretty easily. Oh well, it was free. Can't complain too much.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
My order page for the Wizard's Edition says the game will ship after the release date on 9/4/2012, should I be worried?

My order page for the Wizard's Edition says the game will ship after the release date on 9/4/2012, should I be worried?

That's what it says for everyone. we should be worried if it doesn't ship this week lol.

EDIT: nevermind. i was thinking the date said 1/22/2013 LOL

Top Bottom