• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

I probably haven't reached the points people were complaining about that, but 3 bosses in I really like the difficulty balance of the boss fights. I haven't done any grinding (and I don't plan to), and I beat each boss on the first try, but each of them did feel dangerous. As in, if I wasn't careful I could lose.

what difficultly are you playing on?

Derrick01

Banned
Now that's more like it. I was just given a few spells and my first familiar so things should be a bit more complex than whacking things with a stick now.

Raven77

I haven't picked this up yet but have a few questions.

- somone complained about pathing in battles, what is that?

- someone else complained that the combat is boring and moving around doesn't seem to have any effect, is this true? This is a big deal for me, if the combat isn't engaging then it may not be for me.

- Grandia 2 on Dreamcast probably had my favorite combat system, is it anything like that?

- how linear is it? Can I go where I want or am I restricted?

Thanks!

Is there any way to avoid getting hit in combat? I still haven't even beaten the boss of the woods yet, but I find that my HP depletes way too fast because there's (seemingly) no way to avoid getting hit.

Ferrio

Banned
Is there any way to avoid getting hit in combat? I still haven't even beaten the boss of the woods yet, but I find that my HP depletes way too fast because there's (seemingly) no way to avoid getting hit.

Defend against the big wind ups, walk out of the way for everything else. Walking to dodge an attack wont' always work though.

I haven't picked this up yet but have a few questions.

- somone complained about pathing in battles, what is that?

- someone else complained that the combat is boring and moving around doesn't seem to have any effect, is this true? This is a big deal for me, if the combat isn't engaging then it may not be for me.

- Grandia 2 on Dreamcast probably had my favorite combat system, is it anything like that?

- how linear is it? Can I go where I want or am I restricted?

Thanks!

1. Since it's an active battle system, sometimes there's a collision with an enemy that you don't have targetted. So say I attack one enemy, another one walks infront of me... now my character just does the "run in place" trying to get to the other enemy. You do have the capability to cancel the attack and manually move them... but it always irks me when it happens.

2. So far combat is pretty boring, but I'm early in.

3. The combat system is like grandia but more active since you can manually move your character, and have to switch between them to use certain abilities, avoid attacks, or use a monster that's strong against another type (rock/paper/scissors system). I was never a fan of grandia's system though, I thought the praise it got was always undeserved. Stuff like Valkyrie Profile 2 should be getting the praise instead.

Aeana

I had trouble with the Green Buncher enemy for a quest.... I fought like 30 of them. Other than that, it's only taken a few battles with each.

In the volcano area, I kept accidentally killing the enemies first. :/
Did you quote the wrong post? :eek:

Defend against the big wind ups, walk out of the way for everything else. Walking to dodge an attack wont' always work though.

It's not the boss of the woods that I'm necessarily finding annoying, but just every random encounter as well. Combat basically seems to amount to:

1) Approach monster
2) Trade hits until one person dies
3) Sometimes change to your familiar to do damage a little quicker, then change back to your main guy to heal, but probably get hit while you're healing mostly negating the effect of the heal.

If you try to run away and get some distance, the monster runs at the same speed as you so it basically has no effect.

Ferrio

Banned
It's not the boss of the woods that I'm necessarily finding annoying, but just every random encounter as well. Combat basically seems to amount to:

1) Approach monster
2) Trade hits until one person dies
3) Sometimes change to your familiar to do damage a little quicker, then change back to your main guy to heal.

Are you using monsters that are strong against other monsters?

Sun > Moon
Star > Sun
Moon > Star

And ya, pretty much the random encounters are like that for me as well. Put in familiar that's strong against the monster, kill monster.... pull in familiar that's strong against the next one.

codhand

Purchased Wizard's Edition clubnamco 1:07pm EST Jan 13th

Never got it.

Called Digital River

Rep: Your order is processing and should ship soon, did you get an email?
Me: No
Rep: You will receive an email when it ships
Me: Yes, I know, when?
Rep: Keep checking periodically.
Me: Yes, but for how long? Today? A week? A month?
Rep: Today
Me: OK.
Rep: Have you checked your Spam folder?
Me: No, [check spam, find my order was canceled 16 hours ago]
Why was my order canceled when I've been charged for it, and you said it was in processing?
Rep: Please read the email.

Are you using monsters that are strong against other monsters?

Sun > Moon
Star > Sun
Moon > Star

And ya, pretty much the random encounters are like that for me as well. Put in familiar that's strong against the monster, kill monster.... pull in familiar that's strong against the next one.

I only have one familiar so far, but I'll keep that in mind.

demonkaze

Is there anywhere i can order the guide in the uk and get it at launch. Amazon cant get it to me until the 7th and i'd like to have it at launch.

Sanctuary

I think some of the story was either mistranslated, or they simply screwed up the order and forgot about it. There are instances where you're off to find someone (who's name is NEVER mentioned), and then you'll randomly say "Okay, so this is where RANDOMNAME lives!". Or, you'll be having a conversation about specific NPCs and mention their names. Later on after formal introductions are made with said NPCs, your characters act as though it's new information and suddenly realize what their names are...

Oh ya, you haven't got another one yet.. before that it's the "mash x" game.

If your "main" familar is decked out in the latest gear, and you've also been feeding it, it remains the "mash x" game even after you have a full group for a while. Mite is a pretty powerful familiar, and there's really no reason to swap him for most of the game.

If you try to run away and get some distance, the monster runs at the same speed as you so it basically has no effect.

That's not right at all. You don't just run in a straight line, you just circle strafe until the enemy decides to do something.

h3ro

I feel bad for those missing out on their copy due to Digital River. Never dealing with that company again after how they similarly botched the Marvel vs Capcom 3 LE release.

madhtr

Did you quote the wrong post? :eek:

Heh, yes... yes I did, I meant to quote the one where you were talking about catching familiars. Whoops! :D

Edit: Can you tame multiple of the same familiars? Like having a bunch of those regular bone guys?

jwk94

Purchased Wizard's Edition clubnamco 1:07pm EST Jan 13th

Never got it.

Called Digital River

Rep: Your order is processing and should ship soon, did you get an email?
Me: No
Rep: You will receive an email when it ships
Me: Yes, I know, when?
Rep: Keep checking periodically.
Me: Yes, but for how long? Today? A week? A month?
Rep: Today
Me: OK.
Rep: Have you checked your Spam folder?
Me: No, [check spam, find my order was canceled 16 hours ago]
Why was my order canceled when I've been charged for it, and you said it was in processing?
Rep: Please read the email.
Probably the funniest part of this post. His response is so robotic.

Ferrio

Banned
If your "main" familar is decked out in the latest gear, and you've also been feeding it, it remains the "mash x" game even after you have a full group for a while. Mite is a pretty powerful familiar, and there's really no reason to swap him for most of the game.

That's disheartening to hear.

madhtr

How good of a job does the in-game book do at replacing the physical book?

I'm so bummed that my WE got cancelled..

It's pretty good, and some pages, when zoomed in show videos, maybe of secrets.... not sure yet. Also if zoomed in on familiars, you can see their in-game look for their base, at least.

I probably haven't reached the points people were complaining about that, but 3 bosses in I really like the difficulty balance of the boss fights. I haven't done any grinding (and I don't plan to), and I beat each boss on the first try, but each of them did feel dangerous. As in, if I wasn't careful I could lose.

Same. Just left the Golden Grove and still haven't felt the need to grind. Just fight every enemy I encounter on the way to where I'm going.

Still playing without the star guide.
Finding the tree people was a bit of a challenge.

That's disheartening to hear.

Also untrue. Certain familiars boast resistances to certain attacks, and some can evade them entirely. Why would you throw Mite at an enemy resistant to physical strikes and wielding water attacks?

I agree that he's really handy, though. Just that I've been getting plenty of use out of my other familiars as well.

Aeana

Heh, yes... yes I did, I meant to quote the one where you were talking about catching familiars. Whoops! :D

Edit: Can you tame multiple of the same familiars? Like having a bunch of those regular bone guys?

Yes, you can get multiples.

While true to an extent, it isn't the optimal way to play by any means. You can do much, much better in battle by using other familiars depending on the situation, and there are better general fighter familiars than the mite, too. Even as early as the volcano.

Dinosur

Just trick the enemy into attacking while you're running away. It whiffs, you get plenty of time to cast a spell uninterrupted.

I wasn't really understanding combat either the first day, but after focusing on sun/star/moon and zoning, it's A LOT more enjoyable.

Case in point: I honestly didn't know you could move your familiars for at least the first hour. Since I was just mashing Attack whenever it popped up, he was always in his whacking animations. I swear I'm usually not this dumb.

codhand

24-72 hours from now I will receive an email regarding my refund.

Then in 5-7 days I will receive the actual refund.
What a joke. $125, and they said when you, read: "ME" cancel an order, this is the process. Yes because I canceled it =/

It makes me wonder if I had never called in to inquire about my order, and being that according to Digital River/ Namco my order was in "processing" would they have never known to even issue a refund?

So has anybody caught any really good and useful familiars yet?

My favorite personal one is the Cub Cubber (forgot name), but it's some yellow striped cat that sneezes when he starts battle. At first I thought he was terrible but after a little leveling he's pretty darn good. I usually go with him and the starting familiar.

Aeana

So has anybody caught any really good and useful familiars yet?

My favorite personal one is the Cub Cubber (forgot name), but it's some yellow striped cat that sneezes when he starts battle. At first I thought he was terrible but after a little leveling he's pretty darn good. I usually go with him and the starting familiar.
The little bighorns around the volcano are good fighters that are resistant to physical attacks. Super awesome familiar.

Only if you insist on subverting the game systems.

I was required to grind before the Boss spoiler:
volcano boss
on easy and I don't think I subverted anything. I had also done all the side quests up to that point. I still needed to level to defeat that boss.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
On one hand, I really like this game and the visuals are so amazing.

On the other hand, it's become harder and harder to finish rpgs on a consoles. I just don't have the attention span.

Aeana

I was required to grind before the Boss spoiler:
volcano boss
on easy and I don't think I subverted anything. I had also done all the side quests up to that point. I still needed to level to defeat that boss.
Were you using a familiar who is resistant to fire and/or has a water-based attack?

Aeana

I haven't fought this boss yet, but
using Mite to weather its attacks while using Oliver's ice spell to deal damage
sounds like a good strategy.
That boss is in the demo, and lots of people had trouble with it until they used the familiar that is water-based. I think over-reliance on Mitey (or unwillingness to experiment with familiars in general) is going to lead to lots of complaints about difficulty.

Sorian

Banned
That boss is in the demo, and lots of people had trouble with it until they used the familiar that is water-based. I think over-reliance on Mitey is going to lead to lots of complaints about difficulty.

First challenge run, Mitey only no metamorphesis.

That boss is in the demo, and lots of people had trouble with it until they used the familiar that is water-based. I think over-reliance on Mitey (or unwillingness to experiment with familiars in general) is going to lead to lots of complaints about difficulty.

I never got the chance to play the demo, so I'm going into it blind. Let's see if I can nail him on my first try.

Hana-Bi

Didn't read this much the last days because of the late European release but what are the differences between easy and normal difficulty?

Will you get more exp and other stuff and what enemy changes are made?

Aeana

Didn't read this much the last days because of the late European release but what are the differences between easy and normal difficulty?

Will you get more exp and other stuff and what enemy changes are made?
Experience/gold are the same. Enemies do less damage on easy. Some people think that drop rates are worse on easy, but it's a hard thing to prove either way.

Top Bottom