• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

Hana-Bi

Experience/gold are the same. Enemies do less damage on easy. Some people think that drop rates are worse on easy, but it's a hard thing to prove either way.

Thx. You can change the difficulty any time, am I right? Well, if you have to grind for the bosses than I'll probably do it right and just play it on normal and grind some more. ;)

pahamrick

I'm about 15 hours in as warning for those highlighting spoilers.

The
Royal Jelly
boss is just killing me. I've swapped familiars around, did a bit of grinding and still stomped. I do okay until the one move where it
spawns like 9 little jellyfish, which proceed to curb stomp my companions. The only time that didn't happen was when it glitched and the little jellyfish just stood there but they still got wiped by not blocking the big guys lightning attack. Normally I'll use Mite's ability that hits all enemies to eventually drop the extras but I still die to the big guy once I run out of items.

I guess its back to peeking through my available familiars and gear for ideas.

Andrew.

Banned
Well it looks like I have the first part of my evening planned out as there is a crapton of hidden treasures on that first overworld map that I completely missed.

My Mitey is also named Derp.

Andrew.

Banned

Pretty much everywhere. Theres at least a dozen. I don't know if you saw an earlier post from an hour ago, but I found a copy of the guide and flipped through it on my break. One that springs to mind is around the shoreline where that beachy area is where you fight your first bounty.

I would totally take a picture of the map in the book and upload it, but for some reason my iPhone wont email pictures =(

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
What did everyone name Mite?

I named mine Percival.

Margulis.

Also, I'm at
The nightmare boss, the one that's infecting Rusty
and it's the first real trouble I've run into. Died twice so far. Certainly doable, but until now nothing has been very challenging. The monsters in the desert did give me some trouble, though.

I can't get over how gorgeous this game is. Cel shading is best shading.

Aeana

Those treasures are marked on the map in the book (the map pages that unlock when you stay at an inn in each area).
EDIT: You also get a spell later that shows them on the regular map.

Andrew.

Banned
According to the stone, there are 100 treasures.

The guide is incredibly well put together. Totally forgot about the Old Father Oak asking me to come see him from time to time. Turns out after certain events when you go talk to him, he will just dish out rewards for doing so like 5x chocolate bars etc.

This game takes awhile to get going.

I just got my second familiar (monkey thingy) and the game just got a bit harder.

It's picking up now tho.,

Pretty fun so far even if it is a bit slow early on.

Siromatic

Neo Member
I apologize if this question has been asked and answered before in the thread; I performed a search for posts regarding it and no relevant posts came up via search, but I imagine it has probably been addressed.

For any of you devotees who have already beaten the game, could you give an estimate of how long in running time the hand-drawn animated sequences/interludes (which, without having read any confirmation, I am presuming were all created in-house at Studio Ghibli) total throughout the game? Brad Shoemaker mentioned that the presence and amount of these hand-drawn sequences decreases as the game goes on, but I also think he was less than 15 hours into playing, and as I've read the game can take around 40-50 hours to beat (without heavily doing side-quests), I'd love to have some idea of how long they total in running time.

Basically, I want to know if there are enough hand-drawn animated sequences made by Studio Ghibli in the game to constitute a full-length movie; and if there is, are you given an option to watch all of these sequences sequentially (without interruption between them) as a stand-alone movie within the game? (If this option is not available within the game, someone really needs to record them all in 1080p and sequence them together into one.)

What a fantastic year for Studio Ghibli fans. I still kind of can't believe we'll be getting a double-bill from both Miyazaki and Takahata with the release of "The Wind Is Rising" and "The Tale of Princess Kaguya" this summer. I am strongly considering taking a brief vacation to Japan just to attend the premiere of that double-bill, especially because I doubt that they'll both be released here in the U.S. in a double-bill format. This is Ghibli's first double-bill since "My Neighbor Totoro" and "Grave of the Fireflies" in 1988, and by the same two directors! I should probably temper my excitement over this a little bit, because it's truly impossible for that first Ghibli double-bill to ever be topped (by them or any other studio), but still...

Mikey Jr.

Ok, I just got Esther. One thing I don't like so far about tactics is that if you choose anything other than "Don't use abilities", its means she will use ALL her MP. Like, she doesn't give a fuck. She'll use everything, then when she's low on health, she won't have any MP to heal.

Emilbus

Ok, I just got Esther. One thing I don't like so far about tactics is that if you choose anything other than "Don't use abilities", its means she will use ALL her MP. Like, she doesn't give a fuck. She'll use everything, then when she's low on health, she won't have any MP to heal.

I usually leave her on keep us healthy or backup strategy although the latter still uses quite abit of mp.

zeopower6

I apologize if this question has been asked and answered before in the thread; I performed a search for posts regarding it and no relevant posts came up via search, but I imagine it has probably been addressed.

Basically, I want to know if there are enough hand-drawn animated sequences made by Studio Ghibli in the game to constitute a full-length movie; and if there is, are you given an option to watch all of these sequences sequentially (without interruption between them) as a stand-alone movie within the game? (If this option is not available within the game, someone really needs to record them all in 1080p and sequence them together into one.)

I read some information from people who did complete the game.

There is a movie viewer available at some point and there are about 18 minutes and 20 seconds of Ghibli animated cutscenes. Definitely not enough for a standalone movie, but the voiced real time in-game cutscenes make up for that.

Also, I heard that two animated scenes were removed from the PS3 version and replaced with real time in-game counterparts from the DS version.

Really loving this game so far. One thing I wish it had was detailed info for random objects throughout the world like in RE games and many RPGs. Like you click a bookshelf and it gives detailed info about it.

I don't know, small things like that really enhance the experience.

lunchtoast

I'm still confused on creature cages. Are the stat boosts temporary, or do they last until their hunger goes back down. I haven't been able to find anything.

So here's a funny story that I had with a boss, don't worry i will spoil nothing.

So I just went up against a boss that barely took damage from physical attacks, so in other words physical attacks are useless. So me having not one magic using familiar went up against the boss doing around 4-7 damage a hit. My first party member died, and my second died about 5mins later. So I was by myself against the boss. So you know what I did to use magic attacks to deal damage... I ONLY used Oliver. I was literally running around the boss hoping he does an attack and I block and get a super attack on him. The battle dragged on and I finally beat him with Oliver alone. I seriously looked so stupid only using Oliver to fight a boss lol.

So here's a tip for the future, make sure to have a magic user because physical can't work all the time in the game - I had to learn this the hard way :(

RPGCrazied

22 hours in. Difficulty is ramping up, only on bosses, which I can kind of exploit with Oliver and him standing back and spamming spells and defending when they do a super move. I have a level 12 form 2 bonehead, but still only hitting single digits, but my form 2 of mitey level 23 is my best familiar.

Other 2 characters keep dying, lol.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm getting frustrated with the battles already, I've beaten two bosses easily already, but I must be thinking of this from a turn-based frame of mind because as soon as I enter the desert I just get wiped out so quickly. They just do so much damage so quickly that dancing around and constantly switching to heal with magic doesn't seem to work.

Ferrio

Banned
I'm getting frustrated with the battles already, I've beaten two bosses easily already, but I must be thinking of this from a turn-based frame of mind because as soon as I enter the desert I just get wiped out so quickly. They just do so much damage so quickly that dancing around and constantly switching to heal with magic doesn't seem to work.

Make sure you're using monsters that are strong against enemies sign. Once I started doing that random battles became easier.

If any of you think I gave the game a 6.5 just to be different, you don't know me terribly well.

Glad to see a lot of people are enjoying it. I will be curious to see if others start seeing the flaws I did as they get deeper into the game.

I highly respect your opinion on titles. I still remember the episode of the 1UP Show when you helped review Persona 4 for the PS2. I feel that I can still read what you say, take it into consideration and still form my own opinion. I hope others can start doing the same and not get so easily upset about what one (or a few) reviewers may say.

From what I have played, I personally love Ni No Kuni. I haven't beaten it yet (nor plan to anytime soon, I'm a slow enjoy-every-bite type gamer) so I can't give it a grade. I don't weigh too hard on flaws unless they are damning to a game or prevent a title from being enjoyable.

sorry. it's not progress report.

It's under Telling Stone > Dangerous Places.

it also shows how many red/blue/green/purple chest you found.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I named my Griffy Ken Griffy Jr

can I just buy evolution stones somewhere? I got these jumbos but I can't do anything with em until higher levels

Mikey Jr.

Can anyone describe to me how the different familiar signs interact with each other, or where I can find that information?

Remember this.

>---Sun--->Moon--->Star--->
<-------------------------------

Sun beats moon.

Moon beats star.

Star beats sun.

Just remember that order and you'll be fine.

Siromatic

Neo Member
I read some information from people who did complete the game.

There is a movie viewer available at some point and there are about 18 minutes and 20 seconds of Ghibli animated cutscenes. Definitely not enough for a standalone movie, but the voiced real time in-game cutscenes make up for that.

Also, I heard that two animated scenes were removed from the PS3 version and replaced with real time in-game counterparts from the DS version.

Thanks for the expedient and informative response. Slightly disappointing that the Ghibli hand-drawn animated sequences only add up to 18 minutes (was hoping for 45-60 minutes), but nice to know that there is a movie viewer. And that's interesting and odd that two hand-drawn scenes were removed and replaced with in-game ones; I wonder what could have caused them to do that.

Top Bottom