• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

So I just finished
Old Smoky
last night, and I'm level 24. I think I may be over-leveled judging by how ridiculously easy the boss fight was.

I got tired of level-grinding back when there were new JRPGs every other week, but now, I really quite like it.

i'm lvl 18/19 at the next location after that.

chrono01

So I just finished
Old Smoky
last night, and I'm level 24. I think I may be over-leveled judging by how ridiculously easy the boss fight was.

I got tired of level-grinding back when there were new JRPGs every other week, but now, I really quite like it.

I haven't received my copy of the game yet, but I have a feeling that this will absolutely be me.

Grinding in RPG's have always been enjoyable to me. I don't know why, but it has. Every time I play an RPG I'm always overleveled. I cannot seem to stop myself [I still have fun regardless, though!].

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Aha, I'm the opposite. I hate being overlevelled because it takes away some challenge, and half the time if I'm overlevelled and fighting the boss, I get rid of it too quickly to appreciate the boss theme.

I just like to rely on buffs/debuffs more than relying on stats upon level ups.

I vote English VA. Drippy is absolutely infectious.
This. Welsh accent suits him perfectly.

Edit: I neglected to mention how much I liked his idle animations. They're gosh darn adorable. Drippy's the best part of this game, yo.

zeopower6

So if you wanted to min/max you'd level a familiar up to the level cap, morph it, and start again?

Or does it just make it so you start with increased stats, but you'd earn the same amount of stat increases over time whether you waited or not? Does that make sense?

It's more like the former.

However... the benefit of getting them to max level each time may not be worthwhile in the long run unless you really want to max them out completely. (the difference ends up being about 20-30~ points in each stat at level 99 in the evolved form if you leveled to the cap as opposed to leveling as soon as it was possible)

madhtr

So if you wanted to min/max you'd level a familiar up to the level cap, morph it, and start again?

Or does it just make it so you start with increased stats, but you'd earn the same amount of stat increases over time whether you waited or not? Does that make sense?

I think it increases all stats over the life of the familiar, so I think the longer you wait to morph, the better the max level version will be.

Balphon

It's more like the former.

However... the benefit of getting them to max level each time may not be worthwhile in the long run unless you really want to max them out completely. (the difference ends up being about 20-30~ points in each stat)

Yeah; for the vast majority (if not all) of the useful life of your familiars you're probably going to be better off evolving them either as soon as you can or not long after.

Grinding in RPG's have always been enjoyable to me. I don't know why, but it has. Every time I play an RPG I'm always overleveled. I cannot seem to stop myself [I still have fun regardless, though!].

I know some people enjoy the challenge of being on par with the boss, and there's nothing wrong with that. Personally, I like putting in the extra time to prepare so boss fights are a cakewalk.

I think it increases all stats over the life of the familiar, so I think the longer you wait to morph, the better the max level version will be.

That's about the size of it. The initial act of evolving will drop the creatures stats below where they were before, but the growth potential will be significantly greater. Which I think is why it's a good idea to have another strong familiar to rely on while the one you just evolved gets strong again.

epmode

Hey guys, I have a question, trying to decide whether or not to play with Japanese or English audio... I hear both are good but what do you guys think?

English just for Drippy. I love him.

They even have great voice acting for some other characters! I'm very impressed by the localization.

Is it possible to miss any errands/bounties? Or can you back track and finish them later? I wanna get the guide but the only store near me that has it is gamestop and of course they have it priced at 40$.

TEJ

Despite the flaws, I think this is my favorite level V game since dragon quest 8. I was kind of worried about the quality of this, because I felt ripped off paying 15 bucks for wkc2.

TEJ

Is this little guy supposed to be any good? I just caught one and so far i've mainly just relied on Mite and Drongo, but I know that i'm going to eventually have to make sure the other slots are packing worthwhile familiars as well.

It's an okay choice when it comes to stats, but what's more awesome than a swordfighting pirate cat?

oh, fuck, sorry about the double post...thought I hit edit....oh well.

Beren

Is it possible to miss any errands/bounties? Or can you back track and finish them later? I wanna get the guide but the only store near me that has it is gamestop and of course they have it priced at 40$.
Nope only missables are few wizard's pages and rewards from the duck tree :p

Slight spoilers (name location) you should come back to the tree after each of these events.
-defeat hickory ding dong well (5 bars chocolate)
-return to al mamoon after curing rusty (new dialogue)
-defeat moltan at old smokey (3 phoenix feathers)
-set sail from castaway cove first time (3 bottles pixie dew)
-set sail from teeheeti after ship repairs (medal of agility)
-cure marcasin's brokenheart in hamelin (healing tear gem, wizards page)
-recieve map of magic stones (green man's cloak
-defeat cereboreas at glittering grotto (nostrum)
-acquireclarion of 3 kingdoms (new dialogue)
-defeat vileheart at miasma marshes (new dialogue)
-return to iron wyvern after visiting moterville (great sage's secret)
-defeat prco loco in hamelin (wizards secret)
-return to iron wyvern after visting ara memoria (new dialogue)
From gamefaqs
Also 2 monster entries? which i already forgot lol D:

pleunv

Have any EU Gaffers managed to get this one off the US Store? If so, does it work? Haven't bought anything there since they kind of locked it down a few years ago...

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
t9P5F4e.gif

DRIPPY Y U SO CUTE

1stStrike

Banned
I'm about 5 more hours into the game and just finished the trials. While the gameplay is entertaining enough to keep me going, I'm still not feeling any kind of interest towards the story or characters.

Unless something changes drastically in the future this will probably be the last Level5 game I buy (at least anywhere close to full price).

Aeana

I'm about 5 more hours into the game and just finished the trials. While the gameplay is entertaining enough to keep me going, I'm still not feeling any kind of interest towards the story or characters.

Unless something changes drastically in the future this will probably be the last Level5 game I buy (at least anywhere close to full price).
To be frank, if story and characters are that important to you, I'm surprised you've kept buying Level-5 games as it is!

Eusis

While gameplay can carry me, yeah, unless it's something like Time Travelers or I'm specifically looking for something ridiculous (Layton) I'm not going to Level 5 for their storytelling at all.

I think...I would prefer it if this game nixed having fellow human party members and just allowed Oliver to have a wider roster of Familiars, with three or four being active in battle at the same time. I have no issue with Esther and Swain as characters, but I sometimes feel like their presence in battle is superfluous.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The more I play this, the more I wonder how a game like this landed with a thud in Japan. Everybody says it's due to the DS game scaring people off, but that can't be the real reason. People would have heard how well-done this was anyway, yet it sold so little...

zeopower6

The more I play this, the more I wonder how a game like this landed with a thud in Japan. Everybody says it's due to the DS game scaring people off, but that can't be the real reason. People would have heard how well-done this was anyway, yet it sold so little...

It kind of cost an arm and a leg too even for Japan, I think. (when it comes to non-limited edition games, anyway) I usually don't see too many games with 8800yen price tags.

It kind of cost an arm and a leg too even for Japan, I think. (when it comes to non-limited edition games, anyway) I usually don't see too many games with 8800yen price tags.

Can someone describe the varied videogame prices in Japan? Are some standard edition PS3 games (just an example) more expensive than others? Why?

Goli

And I just finished the game.
What a boring ending. And I hate Cassiopeia's voice. But at least the final fight was fun, and probably the only challenging fight from the whole game... I actually had to use all my super good items! I almost never do that in RPGs. Currently watching the credits, and I have to say I love the watercolor artwork in it.
EDIT: My final play time is 46:24, I did every errand and bounty hunt and talked to every NPC, and I backtracked to all dungeons to get all treasure chests. Oh and I got all world map treasure chests from the main continents, but still missing a few in those little islands scattered all over... yet I was expecting this to be longer. Unless it has a lot of post-game content.

zeopower6

Can someone describe the varied videogame prices in Japan? Are some standard edition PS3 games (just an example) more expensive than others? Why?

They usually float around 6000-7000yen, I think. (6090yen is also where some PSP games start at for regular editions) Some standard editions do cost more than others, but I'm not entirely sure why there is such a difference from game to game.

Oh, I found a game that shares a price point with Ni no Kuni's original release! Ryu ga Gotoku 5/Yakuza 5, but that game would probably sell regardless of how much it was, lol.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well, shit, lost an hour of progress because power went out for a minute.

Fantastic. I'm now caught in this trap where I don't want to go back and do everything I did, which usually happens in this sort of situation. Sucks, because I came up with Latin names for a lot of the things I tamed within that hour.

At least it wasn't like the time when the power went out and I didn't save before defeating Ultima Weapon in FF8 and lost all of my progress then.

Hey guys, how are you accessing the hidden chests on the world map? I'll pinpoint the location in the Companion and hover over the location on the map pushing 'X' repeatedly but I get nothing. Am I doing something wrong?

Goli

Hey guys, how are you accessing the hidden chests on the world map? I'll pinpoint the location in the Companion and hover over the location on the map pushing 'X' repeatedly but I get nothing. Am I doing something wrong?

That's how you do it at first, if you want... but later on you get a spell called Seek Fortune that allows you to see where each treasure chest is on your world map's mini map, and when Oliver's near one a little "!" appears over his head. It's much easier that way.

And I just finished the game.
What a boring ending. And I hate Cassiopeia's voice. But at least the final fight was fun, and probably the only challenging fight from the whole game... I actually had to use all my super good items! I almost never do that in RPGs. Currently watching the credits, and I have to say I love the watercolor artwork in it.
EDIT: My final play time is 46:24, I did every errand and bounty hunt and talked to very NPC, and I backtracked to all dungeons to get all treasure chests. Oh and I got all world map treasure chests from the main continents, but still missing a few in those little islands scattered all over... yet I was expecting this to be longer. Unless it has a lot of post-game content.

My game time is about the same, but I didn't do the world map treasure chests. I think I post too much while playing.

1stStrike

Banned

Fantastic. I'm now caught in this trap where I don't want to go back and do everything I did, which usually happens in this sort of situation. Sucks, because I came up with Latin names for a lot of the things I tamed within that hour.

At least it wasn't like the time when the power went out and I didn't save before defeating Ultima Weapon in FF8 and lost all of my progress then.

Oh man, I would be weeping bitter man tears if that happened to me. I had my power go out the other night (thankfully I wasn't playing anything) and it made me think about getting a couple of those 15 minute UPS's for my PC and PS3. This way if my power goes out I've got time to shut everything down / save.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I forgot to post last night, but I finally got my copy yesterday, and played for a good 2 hours.

Impressions so far:

Graphics: Amazing. I know some crazies were saying the game looks blurry and jaggy, but it's looking stunning on my 40" Samsung. It's a 720p set, so maybe that's why, since the game is native 720. The environments are beautiful, and that world map: (O_O) stunning.

Sound: Both the English voice acting, and the soundtrack are excellent. The other little sound effects here and there are equally charming. It definitely feels like a Level 5 game to me.

Combat: Satisfying and fun. It's a nice mix of simplicity and depth, with a solid challenge level so far. I'm playing on Normal difficulty. I've only gotten my first familiar and set of magic spells.

Story: Charming. About what I expect from Studio Ghibli and Level 5. The story is simple, and me and my wife are enjoying it so far. It even managed to get some genuine laughs out of us. Oliver is really likeable, and Mr. Drippy is a surprisingly likeable sidekick. It has a very Disney-esque simplicity to it all that's really nice to see. It's not overly dramatic, but it's not overly childish either. It's a nice balance.

Gripes: So far, not many. The camera can be a pain sometimes, getting hung up on things, but other than that, not too much. I'm still too early right now.

Overall: This game is whimsical, charming, and fun to play. I've been dying for an HD console, traditional JRPG, and this one is hitting all the right notes for now. I'm currently playing right now, so I'll report back in after I've logged a lot more hours into it.

Ricker

Shame on you in a game you can almost save anywhere ;) j/k.....I have 3 saves going,erasing the older as I go along...unless you where in a long dungeon with just one save stone?

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
So sun beats moon beats star beats sun, but which one is the moon!? The one that looks like a star or the one that looks like a moon?(idiotic question). The way they put them side by side in the telling stone makes it look like the blue cross + circle is the moon and not the half moon thing.

zeopower6

So sun beats moon beats star beats sun, but which one is the moon!? The one that looks like a star or the one that looks like a moon?(idiotic question). The way they put them side by side in the telling stone makes it look like the blue cross + circle is the moon and not the half moon thing.

Star is plus sign. Moon is crescent moon.

From left to right: Sun, Star, Moon, Planet

madhtr

how many animals can you potentially catch to be in your party?

You can have 3 per party member, and three sitting on your "bench." Then on top of that is the familiar ranch, which is accessed by those manholes. You can store up to 400 more there.

When taming familiars, if your party/bench is full, they automatically go to the ranch, so you don't have to worry about losing them until you get 400 of them in there.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh man, I would be weeping bitter man tears if that happened to me. I had my power go out the other night (thankfully I wasn't playing anything) and it made me think about getting a couple of those 15 minute UPS's for my PC and PS3. This way if my power goes out I've got time to shut everything down / save.
I've been thinking of getting one of those for the longest time and then it tends to slip my mind. I don't really want to cheap out and get a $60-80 one. It's a good idea, at least.

Shame on you in a game you can almost save anywhere ;) j/k.....I have 3 saves going,erasing the older as I go along...unless you where in a long dungeon with just one save stone?
Yup. I'm one of those weirdos who keeps at least 3-5 saves for a game for experimentation, point of no return stuff, afraid of corruption, etc., so I do save as much as I can.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Star is plus sign. Moon is crescent moon.

From left to right: Sun, Star, Moon, Planet
Makes sense. I was reading a FAQ that said moon was immune to confusion, but the 2nd familiar you acquire has the cross sign(star) and is immune to confusion and not poison. That threw me for a loop.

Polo67

You can have 3 per party member, and three sitting on your "bench." Then on top of that is the familiar ranch, which is accessed by those manholes. You can store up to 400 more there.

When taming familiars, if your party/bench is full, they automatically go to the ranch, so you don't have to worry about losing them until you get 400 of them in there.

wow so there is 400 uniques in game? or am i reading this wrong .

zeopower6

Makes sense. I was reading a FAQ that said moon was immune to confusion, but the 2nd familiar you acquire has the cross sign(star) and is immune to confusion and not poison. That threw me for a loop.

Weird... Immunity to status effects comes from their Genus not their celestial sign. Or is the "resistance" mentioned for Genuses not really immunity?

Polo67

You can tame multiples of the same familiars. There are close to 400, but not sure of the exact number.

Totally worth it.
Yum cheese

Thanks.. I can't believe this game is sold out on amazon.. I want it now.. so I am assuming there are ultra rare monsters too?... sweet

Top Bottom