• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

For each of these boss battles
Up to the Nightmare
I've used Oliver by just running around and casting spells.

What am I doing wrong? Or am I?

Jarekx

As soon as I could catch familiars the pokemaniac in me came back out. I have a feeling I'll be spending a lot of time catching and leveling different guys up.

Raven77

About 2 hours in, here are some first impression:

Story - Dialogue:

- Voice acting ranges from terrible (some of Olivers lines) to not so bad (Drippy, at first he was hard to understand, but I like it).

- The dialogue, at times, is absolutely TERRIBLE.

When his friend unveils the car Oliver - "Wow that's neat. That's SO neat. That's really NEAT!"

YEAH I GET IT YOU THINK ITS NEAT, lololol

- Right before going to "nother-world" I'll call it for now, Drippy basically drops 10-tons of story onto you. A classic example of what not to do in story telling, "show, don't tell".

- On the positive side, the main enemy seems cool, i absolutely love the idea of a Djinn bad guy. I also like that the story took a sad twist in the beggining, wasn't expecting it out of a game like this.

Graphics and Gameplay:

- The graphics are gorgeous, however, some of the blocky character and environment models ruin the effect a bit.

- Monster design is awesome, classic Ghibli

- Animated cut scenes are a wonderful addition.

- On the gameplay side, i'm finding it a bit hard to get into the combat. It seems like a mix of real time and turn based that I just haven't wrapped my head around.

- I like how encounters are NOT random. I hate that.

- Using the dpad to switch what you want to do, all while trying to move your character (also with the left stick, note to game-designer, I ONLY have 1 left thumb...)

Overall...I'm liking it, but not loving it as much as I had anticipated. The graphics are a treat, the story seems to be setting up decently well, but I really hope the gameplay improves a bit. I'm going to invest some time into figuring out the nuances of the battle system.

ALSO FOR ANY NEW (or even current players)!!!!!!! PLEASE READ THE BELOW

The game automatically has a "helper star" thing that basically tells you exactly where to go in the menu. You can disable this for a less "guided" experience.

ALSO the game disabled vibration by default, enable from options same as star helper. You can also increase the text speed. I played for 1.5 hours before accidentally finding the above options. My friend josh played for 10 hours before realizing this stuff was in the options menu.

Ricker

About 2 hours in, here are some first impression:

Story - Dialogue:

- Voice acting ranges from terrible (some of Olivers lines) to not so bad (Drippy, at first he was hard to understand, but I like it).

- The dialogue, at times, is absolutely TERRIBLE.

When his friend unveils the car Oliver - "Wow that's neat. That's SO neat. That's really NEAT!"

YEAH I GET IT YOU THINK ITS NEAT, lololol

- Right before going to "nother-world" I'll call it for now, Drippy basically drops 10-tons of story onto you. A classic example of what not to do in story telling, "show, don't tell".

- On the positive side, the main enemy seems cool, i absolutely love the idea of a Djinn bad guy. I also like that the story took a sad twist in the beggining, wasn't expecting it out of a game like this.

Graphics and Gameplay:

- The graphics are gorgeous, however, some of the blocky character and environment models ruin the effect a bit.

- Monster design is awesome, classic Ghibli

- Animated cut scenes are a wonderful addition.

- On the gameplay side, i'm finding it a bit hard to get into the combat. It seems like a mix of real time and turn based that I just haven't wrapped my head around.

- I like how encounters are NOT random. I hate that.

- Using the dpad to switch what you want to do, all while trying to move your character (also with the left stick, note to game-designer, I ONLY have 1 left thumb...)

Overall...I'm liking it, but not loving it as much as I had anticipated. The graphics are a treat, the story seems to be setting up decently well, but I really hope the gameplay improves a bit. I'm going to invest some time into figuring out the nuances of the battle system.

ALSO FOR ANY NEW (or even current players)!!!!!!! PLEASE READ THE BELOW

The game automatically has a "helper star" thing that basically tells you exactly where to go in the menu. You can disable this for a less "guided" experience.

ALSO the game disabled vibration by default, enable from options same as star helper. You can also increase the text speed. I played for 1.5 hours before accidentally finding the above options. My friend josh played for 10 hours before realizing this stuff was in the options menu.

Use L2 and R2 to switch the attack,defend,provisons etc etc...I find it goes much better...

General opinion right now is overwhelmingly positive, though I'm interested to see more impressions from people who are past the "the game is gorgeous and reminds me of classic JRPGs" phase and into the nitty gritty.

I'm certainly not as far as you - I just made it to Old Smoky - but I'm just now realizing that grinding is a fairly important aspect of the game. Vital? No. But if you want to continually evolve or switch to new familiars, you're going to have to spend a bit of time grinding to get your familiars to the level that the current area's monsters demand. This doesn't particularly bother me, but I can imagine how it might bother others.

Otherwise yes, the game has exceeded my expectations. From the reviews I expected it to be more grindy than it is, really.

FSLink

Banned

I always check the options in any RPG right before playing (if it lets you on the title screen) or immediately when I can. I don't understand why people don't check it out for that long personally. :p

Durante

L2/R2.

Edit: Well, 7 minutes late, that's embarrassing. But anyway, using L2/R2 to select options greatly improved my experience with the battle system.

Raven77

Thanks for that about the l2 r2 thing, didn't know that.

Can anyone post some tips for getting more out of the battle system? I'm still not sure how defending works or how to get a good of the timing aspects of combat.

The enemies seem to just get in my face and bash me relentlessly...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
General opinion right now is overwhelmingly positive, though I'm interested to see more impressions from people who are past the "the game is gorgeous and reminds me of classic JRPGs" phase and into the nitty gritty.
As I was saying to a few other people, I'm kind of holding back on hitting some of the issues I have, especially in a thread as positive as this. So... I think I might need to preface this with, "None of the things below mean I hate it or anything. Because I don't hate the game, man. I think it's alright."

They need to tell the player that R2/L2 is essential for battle, omg. It makes it flow way better.

I don't like how pulled back the camera is on the world map because I can barely see some of the enemies whenever they come at me or whenever I want to PE-strike them (well, this is a matter of my vision being rather poor). It's also problematic when I'm looking for invisible items, weapons, food, etc. on the world map, and I can't see anything. I don't like how close the camera is in some of the towns or dungeons and I feel like it should be pulled back a little. But I do like that I can look for stuff in pots and whatnot, though they make them really obvious in this game (ie: some of them glow, and I would've preferred it if they were hidden from the player).

I wish the game had more AI options in battle (on that note, I don't really like the battle music as I think it should've been more bombastic). I feel like the game is a little on the easy side on Normal at the moment (because I hear that there might be a difficulty spike?), just because it's mostly a matter of choosing the right elementals and types for things. But if you're familiar with how I feel with regards to difficulty, you can see why this is an issue for me. It may not be an issue for everyone else at all. I'm still iffy about the battle system. If I'm still feeling this way about it after the demo and time spent with the game in general, I don't think I'm going to overall warm up to it. Like... I do like that you have to watch the enemy animation to cancel attack and go into defense and time it correctly because free run will get you nowhere (and Namco really has to start doing this for Tales), but outside of that... I kind of get bored with it? I sort of wish it were more tactical than a free-for-all (and added AI options would certainly help), especially with the system they chose. What I mean is that it feels really repetitive. Much like other L-5 games, I guess.

I disliked that the game took its sweet time opening up menu options for me (ex: I could've used the stats menu much earlier than I got it because I ended up getting into fights when I got to the world map when I didn't intend to and levelled up relatively quickly enough to want to know where I was at).

I dunno. I still feel rather lukewarm towards it. On the other hand, the presentation and the rest of the soundtrack are outstanding and incredibly charming. My boyfriend was making fun of the dialogue earlier and then he asked me whether or not it was the dude who did FFIX, DQ8, and Chrono Cross because it sounded a lot like stuff he'd write. And sure enough, when I looked it up... aha, I'm surprised he caught that before I did. So... Richard Honeywood doesn't work for Square anymore? That's a crying shame.

Thanks for that about the l2 r2 thing, didn't know that.

Can anyone post some tips for getting more out of the battle system? I'm still not sure how defending works or how to get a good of the timing aspects of combat.

The enemies seem to just get in my face and bash me relentlessly...

Just worry about defending when you can see an enemy charging a trick. They'll almost always give you a long enough window to stop whatever you're doing and defend.

Panda Rin

About 5 hours in and just reached the desert area. Beautiful game so far! Haven't touched any of the sidequesting yet, I'll be looking forward to doing those soon.

I'm really liking the soundtrack as well, and I wouldn't mind buying a copy if it were available.

Goli

I'm in the final dungeon, personally, and think it's good overall, but average in gameplay and mechanics. In particular, I feel like the familiar system could have been a lot better than it ended up being. When I get to the end of an RPG, I want to feel like the effort I put into the character building system has paid off, and I simply don't with the familiar system. The AI for party members is extremely bad, but I was consistently over leveled due to my habit of clearing all side quests before progressing, so it didn't affect my progress. The combat is deep enough to get fairly advanced, but the interface is clumsy enough that you're in trouble if you have to.

The story is fine, but the ending feels tacked on, probably because it was. On the bright side, it's the sort of thing some publishers (Capcom) would make DLC, so we can at least be glad that it's on the disc. There isn't nearly enough voice acting in the game after the first two hours, to the point where the little voice acting that is there is extremely awkward. This may seem nitpicky, but it's really noticeable.

Ni no Kuni is a fine game and well worth the time, but don't expect to be blown away by anything besides its visuals and charm.

I'm at Hamelin during the whole
manna/ash thing, Hamelin is the final kingdom I've yet to rescue
and I basically agree with all of this. Not in the final dungeon yet but I think I'm pretty close, and I feel like the game should have ended when
Shadar was defeated, what I'm doing now feels like filler.
The only good thing of this part is
having Marcassin as a party member <3. But I feel like he joins the party too late and he's basically a worse Oliver, but I still like him better than Swaine.

Aeana

and I basically agree with all of this. Not in the final dungeon yet but I think I'm pretty close, and I feel like the game should have ended when

For what it's worth, this is more along the lines of where the DS version goes.

ekim

I now set up an us psn account to get this game. Is this account bound to the new OS user I created? So do I have to switch users when I want to play my eu psn games?

And does the us version of ni no kuni have German subtitles? I've read this somewhere but I want that confirmed.

Last question: my credit card is not accepted by the us store. Can I simply buy the download psn codes on the us amazon site?

Aeana

I now set up an us psn account to get this game. Is this account bound to the new OS user I created? So do I have to switch users when I want to play my eu psn games?

And does the us version of ni no kuni have German subtitles? I've read this somewhere but I want that confirmed.

Last question: my credit card is not accepted by the us store. Can I simply buy the download psn codes on the us amazon site?
Once you buy the game on your PS3, it'll be playable on all of the accounts on your PS3.

Yes, it has German.

Yes, I believe Amazon is a common place for international people to buy US PSN codes.

Just bought this off the PSN and it's downloading now. Can't wait for it to get done so I can dig in and join the discussion. Not sure if anything was mentioned on it, but I'm also really hoping that there are plans to bring over the 3DS version as well.

zeopower6

Just bought this off the PSN and it's downloading now. Can't wait for it to get done so I can dig in and join the discussion. Not sure if anything was mentioned on it, but I'm also really hoping that there are plans to bring over the 3DS version as well.

DS version, and it's highly unlikely unless they can figure out a way to make that book cheaper and make the game take up less space.

Just curious, but is the L2/R2 thing mentioned in the digital manual/instruction manual that comes with the game?

Mii

Banned
Level
before
Trials after getting Esther. Esther is 15
. Am I underpowered, overpowered, or just right?

ekim

So after buying psn cards on mmoga.de (amazon.com didn't work) I noticed I could add waller funds via PayPal in the web store. :-/ whatever. No I have to wait till tomorrow when I come back home to download that monster. I hope psn download speeds won't disappoint me.

JohngPR

My Wizards Edition arrived at my house yesterday but I had to wait until I got off of work this morning to check it out. Fortunately, it was in perfect condition and had all the bits that were supposed to be included.

I played for only an hour before I have to run some errands but I really love the setup of everything. Trippy is a pretty great character.

Beren

Level
before

An ok lvl i would say, i was around lvl 20 and was pretty easy, but as long as yer familiars/chars are well equipped/feed you will be fine i believe :)

Aeana

Level
before

An ok lvl i would say, i was around lvl 20 and was pretty easy, but as long as yer familiars/chars are well equipped/feed you will be fine i believe :)
Yikes, both of you had pretty high levels for that part! My Oliver is level 24 right now and I'm a good 10 hours after that in the game.
If I recall correctly, I was around level 13 for that part.

So I just got my first freeze/glitch on this game.

I was in the ice cave when I was fighting 2 sasquatches and used max slash dance with my now final formed mitey. First of all the slash animation didn't work and instead I just got the screen rocking back and forth. Then the slashes didn't appear when the enemies appeared, and the game just froze and the animation didn't finish.

I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else because this happened while I was grinding and leveled up 4 levels without saving. I'm so mad right now that I might just play a little bit later.

Andrew.

Banned
Is there any place to get additional enthusiasm or any other heart "spell"? I've reached a sidequest where I need enthusiasm to give but I cant find it anywhere. Travelled all the way from the desert back to the Dell and nothin'

Beren

Is there any place to get additional enthusiasm or any other heart "spell"? I've reached a sidequest where I need enthusiasm to give but I cant find it anywhere. Travelled all the way from the desert back to the Dell and nothin'
Maybe you missed someone on the 1st town

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
A little later in the game, you get the ability to make everyone defend just by pressing square. But yeah, before that it's pretty annoying.

Oh thank God. Every boss fight since picking up the AI has been:

-Attack a bit
-Boss winds up
-I defend, AI does not
-Heal the stupid AI because it has already blown its entire mana pool
-Get a hit or two in on the boss beofe it starts to wind up for another massive hit
-Repeat

I only know up to the end of the DS game. How is the part dealing with the
White Witch
introduced and how does it play out?
Just the big lines is enough though, but I'd like to know why you think it's a filler part.

Top Bottom