• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'll say something good about the game: The French localization is actually kinda good!

Almost considering playing the rest of it in French since it's been a while since I've played a game in French. It's like playing Sonic Generations all over again, 'cept it's all text instead of voiceovers.

pahamrick

I have read that there is a killer post-game boss. :x There's also some hunts that involve fighting powered up bosses.

Awesome, thanks.

I've spent almost an hour trying to get one familiar and was hoping it wasn't going to be a waste and there'd be no crazy hard boss fights to do.

Beat the boss at Old Smoky in one try - was expecting something a lot worse, though I might be overleveled.

No problem. If it makes you feel anybetter I missed him too. I think he triggers after you get to Al Mamoon so he's pretty easy to forget.

I believe he's available right after you finish Ding Dong Well. I remember being confused that I had one extra Enthusiasm but no one left to spend it on - it came in handy later.

Goli

Any must have familiar with a "steal" or "esuna" or any utility i should have?

I think the only person who can steal in the game is the third party member. As for "esuna"... well, in my time so far with the game status ailments were never much of a deal, you're probably better off keeping/teaching your familiars other things.

anddo0

Beat the boss at Old Smoky in one try - was expecting something a lot worse, though I might be overleveled.

I believe he's available right after you finish Ding Dong Well. I remember being confused that I had one extra Enthusiasm but no one left to spend it on - it came in handy later.

What lvl?

I beat him my first try lvl 22. Thought I was overlevled too.. Don't get too overconfident. The next area is going to kick your ass.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
When your damage numbers show up as blue, does that mean you're attacks are inneficient? Or is it the opposite, blue means you're doing bonus damage?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I guess I'm a little half-way through the game. 18 hours in.

I'm a bit so-so on the battle system, then again L5 makes so-so gameplays.

On the other hand, I love the presentation, music, and Drippy. The presentation beats almost everything I've played on my PS3.

ibkYKztlDFe3wt.JPG

Yeah, that was like lol.

zeopower6

Yeah, that was like lol.

One of my favorite parts of the demo.

More avatars! These are from the high quality images released by Prima on their promo site-thingie.

aKITFMa.png

EZJDseL.png
mV26UPx.png
wd5hQr3.png
DFrn9h5.png

8KAYp6O.png
pkcfNqh.png
UqN7lMi.png
wpntArt.png

BrCNMAP.png
AnkNbl2.png
FxdL6np.png

I made a pig too, but I think DMPrince is our pig atm. lol. Mitey is also here because uh... not sure. Someone also has him from the first post's set.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member

He actually triggers in the Dell, but at the time my enthu was already filled. I had completely forgotten about him.

Ah that makes more sense. I must have not noticed I was glowing when I ran by him.

Beren

Awesome! finally i am getting my arse kicked and loving it lol!
Some sea encounters are so fun! must grind moar!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
One more silly question: what's the most surefire way to trap an enemy (get the hearts above their head) without killing it? I seem to kill all the ones I try to trap.

Marakh101

Neo Member
1st post!

Quick question for those who have been playing for a while,
Have you experienced some WOW moments here and there? I'm not talking about visuals only but something like we used to see at the end of each CDs on previous final fantasys for instance (Epic fights / huge revelation in the scenario...)
I'm interested in the game but I've been bored with Jrpgs this gen (apart from Lost Odyssey) and gave up in the middle of the games because I couldn't find anything that kept me intereted.

Beats

Man, the overworld theme is pretty great. I find myself humming it a lot throughout the day.

I think my only major gripe so far is that there doesn't seem to be a sure-fire way to recruit a familiar. Unless I'm doing something wrong.

anddo0

Man, the overworld theme is pretty great. I find myself humming it a lot throughout the day.

I think my only major gripe so far is that there doesn't seem to be a sure-fire way to recruit a familiar. Unless I'm doing something wrong.

Target the familiar you want at the beginning of a fight and go all in.. Familiars are captured by impressing them. What better way than dominating them in battle.

I didn't hit level 22 until like two bosses after Old Smokey. Are you guys backtracking a lot?

I've done every bounty and side-quest to this point. I also don't shy away from most battles. I've done a little grinding in order to get familiars closer to their level prior to being morphed. But figured out that was a waste. Not much backtracking at all.

Balphon

I've done every bounty and side-quest to this point. I also don't shy away from most battles. I've done a little grinding in order to get familiars closer to their level prior to being morphed. But figured out that was a waste. Not much backtracking at all.

Hrm. I only ask because I thought I was backtracking a bit too much but you still seem to be ahead in levels relative to where I was. Maybe I'm less neurotic than I think I am.

I do lol! every bounty, every side quest and also visit the Oak from time to time :)

Ha. You and me both.

Can anyone tell me how much space is needed to download and install? I managed to borrow a PS3 to play this but it has no disc drive and 37 GB hardrive. PSN asks me to pay before it tells me whether I can actually download and install the game.

Are there any roundabouts to downloading and installing PS3 games? Can I make up the difference with an external Hardrive or a Thumbdrive?

I am having the sinking feeling that I am not gonna be the winner out of that situation...
:'(

zeopower6

Can anyone tell me how much space is needed to download and install? I managed to borrow a PS3 to play this but it has no disc drive and 37 GB hardrive. PSN asks me to pay before it tells me whether I can actually download and install the game.

Are there any roundabouts to downloading and installing PS3 games? Can I make up the difference with an external Hardrive or a Thumbdrive?

I am having the sinking feeling that I am not gonna be the winner out of that situation...
:'(

... D:

37GB hard drive... I don't think that's enough to download/install this since it's a 21.7GB~ download and you'll need about 2x that for the download+install. I think you may be out of luck unless you can find a way to replace that drive.

Beren

1st post!

Quick question for those who have been playing for a while,
Have you experienced some WOW moments here and there? I'm not talking about visuals only but something like we used to see at the end of each CDs on previous final fantasys for instance (Epic fights / huge revelation in the scenario...)
I'm interested in the game but I've been bored with Jrpgs this gen (apart from Lost Odyssey) and gave up in the middle of the games because I couldn't find anything that kept me intereted.

Ni no Kuni will fill yer jrpg nostalgia, no spoilers but this game has everything i loved from old jrpgs :)
I also liked Lost Odyssey , and for the change cd part yes, well i least i feel the "change cd" fun!

... D:

37GB hard drive... I don't think that's enough to download/install this since it's a 21.7GB~ download and you'll need about 2x that for the download+install. I think you may be out of luck unless you can find a way to replace that drive.

:'( at least they have Journey :'( Any other unmissable PSN games/PS exclusive under 20 gigs that are essential beside NNK and Journey?

DRG

Neo Member
I'm really enjoying the game so far. I have about a few hours in. Takes me back to the PS2 days of RPGs. I really haven't played/finished many RPGs this gen because most of them are so mediocre. I wish we would have gotten a game like this earlier from LEVEL 5 instead of those White Knight games.

Mr. RHC

Ni No KuniGaf, I need council.

I played the demo and really liked the art style, ost, voice acting (both Japanese and English).

I also enjoyed the battle system at first but as I expected from seeing gameplay footage in a video it seems to get really tedious.

I really didn't like how in the second chapter(vulcan) of the demo I had to run from foe to foe much like the first few hours of Final Fantasy XIII.

I think this game would be more interesting if the combat was kept at a minimum, so what are your thoughts on this?

Ni No KuniGaf, I need council.

I played the demo and really liked the art style, ost, voice acting (both Japanese and English).

I also enjoyed the battle system at first but as I expected from seeing gameplay footage in a video it seems to get really tedious.

I really didn't like how in the second chapter(vulcan) of the demo I had to run from foe to foe much like the first few hours of Final Fantasy XIII.

I think this game would be more interesting if the combat was kept at a minimum, so what are your thoughts on this?

Personally, I like the combat. It's a lot more fun for me when I can just capture random familiars and level them. And do all the side stuff because I'm OCD like that. Pick up hunts and go for stronger monsters and get my stamp cards filled up. Try to find rare items, etc. It's not so bad, really. The demo isn't really good at showing why the game is fun.

Aeana

Hmm. After finishing the
fairy
island, I got a quest that requires some kindness. For the first time, I don't already have the kindness on me / nobody in town has any to give up.

zeopower6

Is this little guy supposed to be any good? I just caught one and so far i've mainly just relied on Mite and Drongo, but I know that i'm going to eventually have to make sure the other slots are packing worthwhile familiars as well.

From what I've heard, he's pretty good and could be a potential replacement for Mite if you wanted to use a different Familiar. He eventually gets a pirate form.

I didn't hit level 22 until like two bosses after Old Smokey. Are you guys backtracking a lot?

No backtracking (yet) - just doing all bounties and sidequests, fighting any enemy that stands between me and my objective, and a period where I was determined to catch every familiar in the desert. I don't think I'll be doing that last bit for every area...

Couple questions, people!

• Is there a way to encourage hearts appearing above an enemy after you defeat it, or is it luck of the draw?
  • What are the benefits of postponing metamorphosis? Additionally, when do the returns start to dry up on that? I've been morphing my familiars about 5 levels after the option becomes available.

madhtr

Hmm. After finishing the
fairy
island, I got a quest that requires some kindness. For the first time, I don't already have the kindness on me / nobody in town has any to give up.

Yeah, I have been taking all heart that I can in every town, and you come up short there. I expect you'll find some extra in the next town.

• Is there a way to encourage hearts appearing above an enemy after you defeat it, or is it luck of the draw?
  • What are the benefits of postponing metamorphosis? Additionally, when do the returns start to dry up on that? I've been morphing my familiars about 5 levels after the option becomes available.

Each enemy has a % chance to be able to be tamed, ranging up to 25%. The further you wait to morph familiars, the higher their beginning stats

Each enemy has a % chance to be able to be tamed, ranging up to 25%. The further you wait to morph familiars, the higher their beginning stats

So if you wanted to min/max you'd level a familiar up to the level cap, morph it, and start again?

Or does it just make it so you start with increased stats, but you'd earn the same amount of stat increases over time whether you waited or not? Does that make sense?

So I just finished
Old Smoky
last night, and I'm level 24. I think I may be over-leveled judging by how ridiculously easy the boss fight was.

I got tired of level-grinding back when there were new JRPGs every other week, but now, I really quite like it.

Top Bottom