• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

As for the puns, you guys gotta remember Japan LOVES puns. You see that stuff in all popular fiction. The most popular manga of all time is loaded with them.

bh7812

Banned
Yeah, I've never cared for trophies either. Yet, there's people that will flip their shit if there's a game that doesn't have them. I've seen some serious nerd rage over trophies.

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous some of what I've read/seen! My attitude towards trophies is whichever ones I get, great. Whichever ones I don't get that's okay too. In a game like this I'm more interested in the story and presentation than I am in getting a Platinum trophy.

My Regular Edition copy got delivered on Tuesday, been trying to blow through the Campaign portion of Anarchy Reigns (Don't really do online multiplayer stuff). Black Side is done, have just a few hours if that left of White Side then I'll install and get into Ni No Kuni.

Seeing some posts saying some haven't gotten their DLC codes from Amazon. I didn't get mine until very late Thursday night so it might take a little extra time in this case. They had a truck ton of orders to fill I have a feeling so they might be a little backed up on that. If you still don't have a code by Monday I'd contact them, they should be able to get you one.

I'll write some more detailed thoughts on the game once I've had a fair amount of time with it and can judge it fairly :)

Ricker

F this Trials of Wits...reminds of the stupid clock thing in FFXIII-2...quitting for the night before I in fact lose my wits lol...

Mikey Jr.

1. Finally captures that stupid banba familiar and the turban one for the merit stamps. The babana one was hard. I must have fought over a hundred.

2. I just redeemed the gold flutterby. Is this thing worth a damn? Anyone know?

Beren

1. Finally captures that stupid banba familiar and the turban one for the merit stamps. The babana one was hard. I must have fought over a hundred.

2. I just redeemed the gold flutterby. Is this thing worth a damn? Anyone know?
I am now trying to capture a cogwheel robot and ... it spawns as an add D:

Raw64life

So maybe someone can help with me with the AI in this game and how to handle it better.

I've got all my party members and I notice my enjoyment went down when I got more than just Oliver in my party and it's bothering me.

The AI seems very limited with the tactics I can choose. Esther has two spells and ones a heal while the other is a huge mana dump. Shes got Maybe 50 MP total? Sure I can choose her to heal my party and such, but it seems like no matter what the fight circumstances shes out of mana within 2 minutes. I cannot turn off the other spell and she just seems to use it too often even if I wouldn't want her to.

What are you guys doing to combat the limited AI assigning because I don't feel like I should be struggling this much as I am. Perhaps I need to go buy my familiars better gear, but none of them are under leveled really. A few of them are evolved but I haven't found plentiful orbs yet to make that happen much either.

Having the same problem. Was so happy to finally get a new party member, but then it only took a few battles for frustration to set in. At least there's no penalty for her dying in battle. Still gets experience when she dies in the middle of a battle.

I think playing in English is a must for Drippy. He's too good to miss.

Drippy is pretty much the only reason I've kept the English dub on.

Eusis

There's almost no voice in the second half of the game anyway, so it doesn't matter much.
Wait, what? Is it just that it's more gameplay heavy past the first half, or do they just phone it on VA? Not that I'd mind too much, I'm annoyed at how often VA's considered NECESSARY these days, but if it's inconsistent I'll be mildly annoyed.

RPGCrazied

Wait, what? Is it just that it's more gameplay heavy past the first half, or do they just phone it on VA? Not that I'd mind too much, I'm annoyed at how often VA's considered NECESSARY these days, but if it's inconsistent I'll be mildly annoyed.

Nah, just a lot more reading of the text boxes.

Almost all text in the second half of the game. On the rare occasion there is voice, it's incredibly brief, jarring, and out of place. I barely remember what Drippy sounds like now.

RPGCrazied

That sounds more along the lines of half assing the VA. Ah well.

I think it was a budget issue. Or timing. I'd wait another 6 months for the whole game to be voiced, but I'm sure they were already on a tight schedule. Didn't it already get delayed once?

zeopower6

I remember it was originally slated for Summer 2012?

I think they voiced what the Japanese track did, so whatever happened, it was back when they recorded everything initially for release in Japan. Wonder if a sequel would have more voiceovers if it ends up happening.

I think it was a budget issue. Or timing. I'd wait another 6 months for the whole game to be voiced, but I'm sure they were already on a tight schedule. Didn't it already get delayed once?

I dunno, I checked out some vids of the JP version, and there were tons of unvoiced scenes there too.

Eusis

what if. the whole game was properly Voiced but it's glitched 80% of the time? ;P
I'm reasonably confident Level 5's good enough at coding to avoid that.
They also got some well known actors as I recall. Maybe they blew the budget hiring them when they could've aimed lower and likely gotten better performances too.

I'm reasonably confident Level 5's good enough at coding to avoid that.

They also got some well known actors as I recall. Maybe they blew the budget hiring them when they could've aimed lower and likely gotten better performances too.

not so much with the save glitch ;P jk

Wow. I've been rolling this game so far without any real challenge. I spet out of Golden Grove and I died twice in a row. It's not even close; I'm kind of surprised.

Wow. I've been rolling this game so far without any real challenge. I spet out of Golden Grove and I died twice in a row. It's not even close; I'm kind of surprised.

i died a few times at old smoky for being like 2-3 lvls under. and i'm still underleveled where i'm at now lol.

do i grind? not really. i just restrategize.

RPGCrazied

It gets much harder. I find myself now after a few battles hunting HP/MP refresh stone. I just need a good place to train. Most of my teams are in the 3rd forms, but only like level 20's.

Can you get better stuff other than Hamelin? That's the last place I've been to that sells weapons/armor. I have the
dragon and teleport spell

Mikey Jr.

So maybe someone can help with me with the AI in this game and how to handle it better.

I've got all my party members and I notice my enjoyment went down when I got more than just Oliver in my party and it's bothering me.

The AI seems very limited with the tactics I can choose. Esther has two spells and ones a heal while the other is a huge mana dump. Shes got Maybe 50 MP total? Sure I can choose her to heal my party and such, but it seems like no matter what the fight circumstances shes out of mana within 2 minutes. I cannot turn off the other spell and she just seems to use it too often even if I wouldn't want her to.

What are you guys doing to combat the limited AI assigning because I don't feel like I should be struggling this much as I am. Perhaps I need to go buy my familiars better gear, but none of them are under leveled really. A few of them are evolved but I haven't found plentiful orbs yet to make that happen much either.

Everyone has the same problem man, trust me.

Do yourself a favour. Get a good melee character. Put that in the FIRST slot of your AI characters. The AI will always send out whoever is in their first slot. That means that for a lot of battles, Esther will send out her melee character. Then set her tactics to use no abilities. For boss battles, set her AI to "do as you like".

That should help you a bit I think.

Eusis

Oh well. Its seems jarring when most of the first half is voiced, then you get to the later half with next to no voice acting. Seems out of place.
I thought you were speaking of the Japanese version there initially.

Well, it probably still holds: if they blew their budget getting really popular actors (without a good voice director) they may've had only enough to either spread it thin across the game, or front load it so everyone hears it then put some at climatic moments at the end. Which was probably a mistake when going a bit cheaper for good VA and a great VA director would've gone much further.

zeopower6

I don't think anyone they hired on either side are considered 'expensive' by any means... but then again, who knows how budgeting went, really? Isn't voice acting in both the east and west paid for by the line?

Ricker

Do what Drippy says,head straight to the town...

As for the Trials of Wits,I got the first 2 easily,it's just that last one that I gave up on for now hehe...

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I just wish there was more VA, the later half it almost seems nonexistent. Like they ran out of money or something.

That's always a problem with RPGs, especially Japanese ones. It always feels like we're playing through some seasons of US TV series, where each season progressively gets less budget and then they keep whatever budget they have in the last season for the finale. Even in large budget games like FF13, you could see the details of their CGI getting weaker as the game progresses. Lightning in the ending movie looks like a doll with no facial details but the opening movie had faces that had lines and whatnot. FFX-2 gave up towards the end and they had almost everyone in their low-res faces in the final real time scenes.

Anyway I'm really liking the child-like appeal of the plot. It is simple but not in an inane sort of way. It is definitely not offensively childish and it's nice to get one of these plots that doesn't try too hard to be complicated or serious.

RPGCrazied

Anyway I'm really liking the child-like appeal of the plot. It is simple but not in an inane sort of way. It is definitely not offensively childish and it's nice to get one of these plots that doesn't try too hard to be complicated or serious.

Yeah. Reminds me of the movie NeverEnding Story.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah. Reminds me of the movie NeverEnding Story.

And a tamer version of Stephen King's and Peter Straub's The Talisman. It also involved two worlds with people with connected souls and the young protagonist wanting to save his mother.

Aeana

Yeesh. I found a place where that familiar from the volcano part of the demo (the really powerful level 5 one) spawns, and I fought a couple. They give SO much experience (~2000). I'd love to tame one, but I really don't want all of that exp.

Beren

Anyone knows where can i find a recipe or how to make better ice creams/chocolate stuff, etc D:

Takes forever with these small chocolates and ice creams lol :(

Do what Drippy says,head straight to the town...

As for the Trials of Wits,I got the first 2 easily,it's just that last one that I gave up on for now hehe...

Heck, I did run for town. It's the clubber cubs that are killing me. They buff instantly and then just run my guys over.

Aeana

Anyone knows where can i find a recipe or how to make better ice creams/chocolate stuff, etc D:

Takes forever with these small chocolates and ice creams lol :(
There's a woman on a boat in Castaway Cove who will give you a bunch of recipes, including those.

I hate that when the bosses get to low health they spam their special moves. I was fighting a nightmare and they spammed acid rain (I think that's the name) over and over again until I died. That move poisons you, and puts poison blotches on the field.

I seriously don't know how to defeat this boss so i'm just gonna grind a few levels until I can do so. Man I hate that spamming attack so freakin much, it's the only thing that make's it difficult.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Any rules to how exp is shared? I know reserves don't get it but everyone else does, but do they get more if I use the familiar during battle?

Eusis

I don't think anyone they hired on either side are considered 'expensive' by any means... but then again, who knows how budgeting went, really? Isn't voice acting in both the east and west paid for by the line?
I seem to recall hearing they had a very high quality cast, but I could only speculate on how the costs really were.
Yeesh. I found a place where that familiar from the volcano part of the demo (the really powerful level 5 one) spawns, and I fought a couple. They give SO much experience (~2000). I'd love to tame one, but I really don't want all of that exp.
This does explain why some of the positive critics didn't have a problem with grinding though!

Top Bottom