• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

There's two kinds of people in this world. People who pick the jump ability and min/max scumbags

First thing I chose. Don't know why - said right there in the description it'd be useless, but I thought they were lying. It's pretty useful for catching golden glims in combat, though.

speaking of rewards, How do I unlock the second row? I have 4 point but Im trying to save them.

You can't unlock the second row until you earn every Merit Award on the first row, which includes one that won't appear until you gain access to something later in the game
(the one for increasing your sailing speed which wont' appear until you have a boat

imjust1n

Banned
Studio ghibli should make an actual animation on this game like when seeing the full on studio ghibli cut scenes I'm so impressed it looks so amazing.
Just think what this game would look like in a full length movie.
I'm sure they have other ideas to make and are not looking forward into doing that because Disney owns the western movie releases of studio ghibli films so if they did a ni no kuni release It would have to be called something different or Disney would try to fight rights for the game.

Jaruru

started this game today. reached level 10. loving the game so far, the art style, music, atmosphere. :D

is it possible to have a Wii U-make version?
switching between Familiars, casting urgent spells (not every single one, it'll be tiring) will be fun on the GamePad

imjust1n

Banned
started this game today. reached level 10. loving the game so far, the art style, music, atmosphere. :D

is it possible to have a Wii U-make version?
switching between Familiars, casting urgent spells (not every single one, it'll be tiring) will be fun on the GamePad

No I highly doubt there would be a wiiU release this is only a ps3 exclusive. Time to add Oliver and drippy to play station all stars

zeopower6

This game has the worst box art I've ever seen.

You must not know of many "bad" box art designs. Mobile Light Force comes to mind....

Rarely does the Western release of anything end up being the least colorful of the two or in this case, three covers released for the game. (The original box art had a green haired woman on it next to the plain logo and the All in One edition had the entire cast on the cover in a really colorful piece of art) I guess they wanted to go for a storybook feel for the cover?

Downhome

Ok, really quick...

I just started looking into this game. Visually, it has blown my mind. I also love long, flowing, epic stories in any sort of media. I am not, however, a huge fan of turn based RPGs. I do love action RPGs though. What say you? Is it worth taking the chance? I would hate for the basic game as well go OOP down the road then not be able to play it at all if it may suit me. I have $60 in Christmas money ready go go.

Help me GAF!

Anyone else got any thoughts? Thanks.

Acrylic7

You can't unlock the second row until you earn every Merit Award on the first row, which includes one that won't appear until you gain access to something later in the game
(the one for increasing your sailing speed which wont' appear until you have a boat

good news, had the boat for some time. I was just afraid to spend my points.

zeopower6

Anyone else got any thoughts? Thanks.

If you want to have a taste of the gameplay, play the demo. However, do not expect the demo to represent the game as a whole when it comes to most other aspects of the game since most of what is done in the demo is fighting.

M3z_

So many people bought the official strategy guide and if so what do you think? Does this game have many or any for that matter instances of having items or other goodies be tied to a series of events not stressed through that actual game like the Tales series tends to do?

Acrylic7

just got
all out attack and defense
. should've had this the sec
esthar
was made available

agreed.
I also wish that I could manage their tactics with actual options.
Esther burns through MP like is cash.
and poor poor Swain. I'm going to give him a Skull guy and Capt Meow Sparrow.

edit- Does anyone else have trouble with party members not using their Familiars? As soon as Esther's awesome as fuck bird thing runs out of juice she decides that she is more fit to fight instead of her other Familiars. She just gets smacked around until I manually switch with her other Familiars.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I guess I'm in the minority for generally liking Oliver's boy scouty, kind of 'not with it' ways. He doesn't have some evil dark past, or a demon inside of him that turns him into super saiyan Oliver. He's just some kid, and I love how he's blown away by magic constantly.

I mean, he's not a deep character, but I like him.

SLV

I need some help, i am doing something wrong, i have just got the boat mite is lvl 20, rest of the familiars are lvl 15 +, can someone tell me why do the tamed familiars do like 5 dmg on a hit at most, when my mite in his second form can do atleast 20-40 damage per hit ? I have noticed that only the story recieved familiars do reasonable damage. What am i doing wrong ? That rhino thing is doing like 1-2 dmg with latest gear and lvl 17 with 65 dmg in stats, to any kind of enemy...FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Mikey Jr.

agreed.

edit- Does anyone else have trouble with party members not using their Familiars? As soon as Esther's awesome as fuck bird thing runs out of juice she decides that she is more fit to fight instead of her other Familiars. She just gets smacked around until I manually switch with her other Familiars.

What is this esther bird people keep mentioning? When she joined me, she brought a monkey with her.

I need some help, i am doing something wrong, i have just got the boat mite is lvl 20, rest of the familiars are lvl 15 +, can someone tell me why do the tamed familiars do like 5 dmg on a hit at most, when my mite in his second form can do atleast 20-40 damage per hit ? I have noticed that only the story recieved familiars do reasonable damage. What am i doing wrong ? That rhino thing is doing like 1-2 dmg with latest gear and lvl 17 with 65 dmg in stats, to any kind of enemy...FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Leveling up your familiars is better than finding them in the wild.

SLV

Leveling up your familiars is better than finding them in the wild.

Are you saying that most of the wild familiars are shit and to just stick with the story provided ones ? If so then the familiar system is pretty shit, the pokemon catching aspect of it anyway, if the other familiars are not competitive...

johnsmith

remember me
Are you saying that most of the wild familiars are shit and to just stick with the story provided ones ? If so then the familiar system is pretty shit, the pokemon catching aspect of it anyway, if the other familiars are not competitive...

I think he means a familiar you raise from level 1 of the starter form will be better than a wild one tamed evolved and leveled up when you compare both at the same level and same tier of evolution. I think your tamed familiars just haven't been leveled enough. Looking at the max stats for the story familiars in the guide, they are definitely not the strongest. Not even close.

Jaroof

Okay, the game's getting pretty hard where I'm at...
I just lost to a boss for the third time, but part of the reason I'm losing is that I don't know how to block with both of my party members. If I block with the character I'm using, then try to switch to the other to block with them, the one I blocked with first will do their own thing.
It's pretty frustrating. Is there some kind of command to make all characters block simultaneously?

SLV

Well i think it is just stupid that a familiar with lvl 15+ of any step of the evolution does 1-5 dmg on hit.

agreed.

This happened to me when I set her tatics to heal. Had three familiars but she would only use the bird until she was out of mana, and then she would switch to herself or wait for the birdies stamina to run out and then switch to herself. I think the problem(for me anyway) was the other two familiars I had with her didn't have any healing abilities so the AI wouldn't switch to them. I just set her to do what ever she wants and now she switches out sorta correctly and still heals actually.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Uh why is Swaine just trying to melee monsters? He's got 2 familiars to choose from, and the battles don't last long enough that both run out...

Well i think it is just stupid that a familiar with lvl 15+ of any step of the evolution does 1-5 dmg on hit.

It's better for you.

More time you invest with your base = bigger trade off.

I mean, you can level up your tamed monsters so that they can hit harder, but it's generally better to evolve them. Later tamed aren't nearly as bad.

Pooya

I'll have the game soon, just a question,

I take it the consensus here is to play it on easy then or is it actually fun and challenging later in the game on normal? I played the demo and hated the combat, I'm really only interested because of the graphics/music but if it's actually worth playing don't mind spending time with the combat itself if its better in the full game and entertaining?

if not I rather just put it on easy and hoping easy mode is easy enough so that I don't have to think about the battles and just 'watch' it basically :p

Goli

Err, isn't that a post-game quest?
Yeah, but I do wonder if doing all he did was worth it. He probably overleveled a lot which will make everything way too easy, and the Dinoceros is much better than your average familiar so it's gonna be even easier.

I take it the consensus here is to play it on easy then or is it actually fun and challenging later in the game on normal? I played the demo and hated the combat, I'm really only interested because of the graphics/music but if it's actually worth playing don't mind spending time with the combat itself if its better in the full game and entertaining?

if not I rather just put it on easy and hoping easy mode is easy enough so that I don't have to think about the battles and just 'watch' it basically :p

Normal is fine if you do everything, if you don't it gets hard. So just go on easy, I guess.

So how much does it take to beat the game? I'm talking about an average playthrough, with some bonus quests done and some not.

My playthrough where I did pretty much everything you CAN do before beating the game took me 46 hours. Yours will most likely be a lot less.

Emilbus

Umm so is it just me or us the 'Jack of all trade' merit award kind of crap. It's the last tier award and it seems like it only dropped the mp cost of spells by a whole whooping 1? Kinda wish I'd save before picking it up cause there are better ones that I could have used right now.

Ricker

Ok,finished the trials finally..that Kid Salomon,what a jerk lol,that poor Oliver,so polite and patient taking all his sarcastic comments hehe...so I can now metamorphose,the retreat guy gave me 4 orbs of each signs and I see I could metamorphose 2 of my familiars now but they wont eat the orb...they have to be at 10/10 also I guess...?

It is better in the full game because you get a decent tutorial and you slowly get use to everything but for me anyway,it took a while to get comfortable with it and they keep throwing new stuff in it as you go along...I think you can change the difficulty on the fly though so I would start on normal and go down to easy if you are not enjoying yourself.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search

I feel that the battle system is way better in the full game than the demo portrayed it as. And normal is easy enough so I wouldn't do easy unless you wanted to speed through the main story only.

NIN90

Ok,finished the trials finally..that Kid Salomon,what a jerk lol,that poor Oliver,so polite and patient taking all his sarcastic comments hehe...so I can now metamorphose,the retreat guy gave me 4 orbs of each signs and I see I could metamorphose 2 of my familiars now but they wont eat the orb...they have to be at 10/10 also I guess...?

Those orbs are for their final metamorphoses.

Goli

Umm so is it just me or us the 'Jack of all trade' merit award kind of crap. It's the last tier award and it seems like it only dropped the mp cost of spells by a whole whooping 1? Kinda wish I'd save before picking it up cause there are better ones that I could have used right now.

Yup it is. The most expensive one is probably the best of the last tier, it increases Oliver's max. HP and MP by 100 each.

Akainu

Got the girl and now I'm starting to worry. She goes through magic like...I don't know..a fat person goes through food? Whatever the problem is she goes crazy with it.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Esther keeps on dying because she keeps using magic even if it's not needed, then when it's needed she has 0 mp. What the fuck.

Johnas

So based on these past few comments, you have party members whose AI you can't control directly (like DQIV NES)? Are there parameters you can set?

Seems a little odd.

Godslay

Banned
So based on these past few comments, you have party members whose AI you can't control directly (like DQIV NES)? Are there parameters you can set?

Seems a little odd.

You can swap between party members. You can also give them parameters to how they behave.

Top Bottom