• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nidhogg |OT| GET THAT DICK (Steam, PC)

Clawww

nid_blackDropShad.png

logo_top.png

logo_bottom.png

http://www.nidhogggame.com/
Developer: Messhof
Composer: Daedelus
Platform: Microsoft Windows (Steam)
Release date: January 13, 2014
Modes:Single-player (time attack), local and online multiplayer (two players)
Purchase: Steam, Humble Store (Currently three dollars off @ $12)

Nidhogg is the epic award-winning fencing tug-of-war, full of graceful acrobatics and clumsy stabs. IRL yelling and excitement may occur, in this ultimate two-player showdown of fast-paced fencing and melee attacks. Beware, advantages in Nidhogg are often fleeting, as new opponents continually spawn in your way.

Gameplay
Fast-paced and strategic, Nidhogg is designed for head-to-head competition. Each player's objective is to reach the end of the stage, which means squaring off against your opponent at various spawn points along the way. Despite using only two buttons, Nidhogg features an expansive amount of movement and attack options that make each encounter, across various arenas and stages, unique and dramatic. The environment plays into the duels, with factors such as high ground, doors, platforms, and walls all playing into one's approach. Comparisons to fighting games are apt in regards to the mindgames, tactics, and massive replayability of Nidhogg.

Notorious for remaining offline-exclusive for years, the Steam releases features online play. Unfortunately, the online interface is very barebones, but good connections shouldn't be hard to find. Currently, matchmaking is automated, and there's no ping reading or other indication about connection quality. Connections range from unplayable, to pretty much perfect. You can host matches and invite your stream friends, but there are no spectator options. You can safely and immediately ditch a bad connection by quitting from the start menu. To invite friends, select matchmaking in-game, and then invite manually by clicking next next to the friend's name in the Steam chat window; in turn, your friend should also join via the chat window. See below for GAF matchmaking.

In addition to versus, there's an 8-man local tournament option, featuring customizable rules, as well as a time-attack arcade-mode where you face off against CPU opponents.

Videos and impressions:

Giant Bomb Quick Look
Videogamer: Nidhogg Two Player Awesome
Northwest Majors 4: Nidhogg - Mystery Game Grand Finals -- WATCH FOR HYPE: a famous set that really showcases the ecstasy and agony of Nidhogg
Kill Screen: So Good It Might Destroy Modern Society
IndieStatik
Kotaku

ibi0fc1yNXOF5w.gif

**Matchmaking
Please post your steam ID + region so we can make a list of people to play with.

U.S. East
Deputy Dangle, Clawww, electricpirate, PartTimeWarrior, ActionRemix, vocab, Orpheus Telos, Intheflorish, HellenKellerDTF, ItAintEasy, MoreBadass, Alric, Cheddahz, [URL="http://steamcommunity.com/id/Aspirations26"]Aspirations26
[/URL]U.S. West
davepoobond, Skerj, Jtwo
Europe
Loctope, the TMO, Wunder, SyntheCypher
South America
Asia
Australia

My first match was a surrealist lag-fest.

My second match was against an afk opponent.

My third match was a 23 minute back-and-forth epic war featuring an impromptu dance session and crawl-and-hop-on-the-ground bit of nonsensical goofiness. Good times!

fallout

Oh, the things I would do for an online tournament mode with a spectator option and voice chat.

Either way, great game.

Nice OT Clawww.

I posted this in the other thread, but if any east coast Gafers want/need someone to play just add me on Steam. ID: doomslaya64

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
The videos showing the gameplay are a really good ways to show how cool the game is. It's fun to watch and play.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
We should get an East and West players list going, maybe do a tournament bracket of our own goin for shits and giggles. Winner gets a trophy of a giant erect penis to call their own? Bah, if only the netcode were more reliable even a few states over.

My 7 year old cousin constantly asks for a 2 player competitive game when I've already played Guacamelee and Rayman Legends with him, so this should do. Looks hilarious.

Kade

Played for a bit earlier tonight. Was really enjoying it until I started noticing that the rubber on the analog stick of my Dualshock 4 was coming off. I really hope they patch in dpad support for controllers with analog sticks soon.

EDIT: Team East Coast, add me

http://steamcommunity.com/id/kade_

Artanisix

Really really really really really sad that the online is so fucking bad. No lobbies, no connection check, nothing.

Was going to buy it but will now have to pass.

Oh, the things I would do for an online tournament mode with a spectator option and voice chat.

Either way, great game.

Spectator option and voice chat? You just want the audience to do the victory chant for you, don't you?

I'm sure someone will eventually mod in a canned chant.

Clawww

Really really really really really sad that the online is so fucking bad. No lobbies, no connection check, nothing.

Was going to buy it but will now have to pass.

it's annoying but once you get a nice connection you can play a long-ass set and be all good

but yeah it's extremely lacking. maybe get it when its cheaper, definitely a game worth owning if only for a #rare offline session

Im on the verge of getting this, but these connection issues and no lobbies are killing my hype.

The same thing happened with divekick.

It seems that functionality is out of the realm of indies.

I believe it when people say that local mp is fantastic. Sadly i dont have real life friends.

Astarte

Okay so catching a boomerang blade with your face on your victory run is the worst thing you can do; we just stared at the screen waiting for someone to respawn but nah.

Clawww

Im on the verge of getting this, but these connection issues and no lobbies are killing my hype.

The same thing happened with divekick.

It seems that functionality is out of the realm of indies.

I believe it when people say that local mp is fantastic. Sadly i dont have real life friends.

just played an amazing set with a random

it shouldn't taken longer than 2 minutes to find a good connection

you'll know right away when its good, and if it sucks, you can exit out immediately. the menus and lobby and stuff have no delay, so it's all quick. once you're in a good lobby, you can rematch away and you'll soon forget you're online. I haven't felt cheated out of a single action due to lag or delay in good games...the netcode is pretty spectacular when you find a good opponent

after that tournament set, i knew i had to get this game. even against ai im just having a ton of fun. Can't wait to play against others online. Gotta get that Dick

Clawww

goddamn that bridge area in Castle can get pretty nutty. there are rooms on both sides of it, and during a long game, we were held off at the bridge for a good five minutes and ended up with like 5+ swords in each side room. total deadlock.

Which control scheme is better? Mouse + keyboard or 360 controller?

there's no mousing. you can get by just fine on keyboard assuming its not some terrible laptop chiclet thing or whatever. been playing on my 360 controller and arcade stick personally.

Nice OT Clawww.

The game is an absolute blast and it's been on my mind all day. Messhof, please patch in some netcode tweaks and a visual ping at the very least. This game has a ton of potential for a bigger audience.

Clawww

Nice OT Clawww.

The game is an absolute blast and it's been on my mind all day. Messhof, please patch in some netcode tweaks and a visual ping at the very least. This game has a ton of potential for a bigger audience.

thanks

yeah, the online infrastructure is a bit vexing. I'm glad it was included at all, but it feels lazy for there to not be some basic options. that said, I'll take strong netcode with few options over a fundamentally poor netcode--it shouldn't be a choice, though.

Skerj

My fuck, I've waited years to get this game and it does NOT disappoint. I swear this has been one of the greatest 2 player games I've ever played and I've only been playing for about 30 minutes on multiplayer.

Last person I played and I were dueling for about 20 mins straight. We start off in the wilds, first kill goes to me via jump kick plus neckbreak. I start running to my goal, he respawns running toward me and I jump, he meets me in the air with a sword throw that I couldn't deflect. He's running toward his goal, I spawn in the grass and then shit gets real. I run at him, slide stab. My point. He spawns back in the grass, throws the sword, I throw mine to cancel it, he jump kicks and then breaks my neck. His point.

This goes back and forth through some crazy intense showdowns until we get disconnected. I didn't expect the tug of war to be as brutal and exhilarating as it has been. I have adrenaline jitters right now and I need more people to play with.

Amazing how a twelve dollar, 2d, local-multiplayer-centric indie game perfectly demonstrates everything wrong with the "AAA" game scene with its mere existence. By focusing on an immediately accessible gameplay system with tons of depth and room for mastery, a simple and contrasty visual style that efficiently and effectively communicates the state of play, and no holds barred fun that is best shared with friends physically in the room with you, there is no bullshitting around waiting for that entertainment return on investment. It smacks you in the face from the moment you first start playing.

Zia

So, for the HOGGLIKE achievement, how do you "dominate" a SP level?

Also, this release is incredible. I had no idea he was adding in online MP. We've been playing so hard that my fingers hurt.

fallout

Played a game with Kade and once we figure out how to join the lobby, it was fun. The lobby stuff is kinda messed up it seems. Kade was sending invites that went out to like 5 other people. I eventually just clicked on "Join Game" in the Steam chat, which worked.

We both seemed pretty aggressive and risk-taking. No 20-minute epic matches, but lots of streaks and whatnot.

Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/fallout (I'm in Central Canada)

Kade

The invite page in game seems to be broken. I got messages telling me to fuck off from everyone but the person I was trying to invite. The friend buttons seem to be organized by alphabetical order but the text in the buttons are organized in random order. It's really weird.

Got it sorted out though and played some fun (but brief) games with fallout.

Top Bottom