• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nidhogg |OT| GET THAT DICK (Steam, PC)

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Anyone else just laugh the entire time they're playing?

One of my favorite-funniest moments is allowing someone to spawn on the other side of the first set of doors on Castle, sprinting through and then scaling the wall, dive-kicking over top of them and landing into a roll and, then, when they inevitably chase you, quickly exiting your roll, and turning around to stab them in the dick.

Agh. So good.
:lol Yes, the situations can be hilarious.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Another thing I noticed is that when there is lag, the game pretty much refuses to recognize more than one input at a time. So you can fence and all that, works fine, but you cant jump while running (sometimes you can!) or throw your sword, or cartwheel. :(

It's dumb, because the game is fucking awesome. It needs more Euro players D:

the TMO

I play Nidhogg and I am european: if someone want to add me my ID is http://steamcommunity.com/id/thetmo?l=italian

i Made a nidhogg comic too! :D

nidhogg_comic.jpg
http://beavers.it/2014/01/22/nidhogg/

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Good stuff TMO.

So I tried out the patch from yesterday. The Dpad is now fixed for player 1 in online multiplayer but not player 2! Getting closer Messhof, keep at it. I wonder if he's taking input from this thread.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So check it:
I know a lot of people were complaining about how the Matchmaking requires a mouse. Well I just found out that the trackpad of the DS4 solves this. I don't know why I didn't think to use it before. Its awesome. When you go into the matchmaking screen just enable the touchpad and use it it like a mouse to enter into matchmaking.

Nymphae

Banned
Has the matchmaking been fixed yet? Every time I try to play online it only finds like 1 player and just waits forever.

Steam ID - SyntheCypher
Region - UK/Europe

(please add me to the OP)

I found out today the game was made with Game Maker and took 2+ years to make/release.

I paid $15.00 ~ £9.31

Although I love the gameplay and asthetic, I'm very disappointed for the amount of bang I got for my buck.

I really feel that this game's full potential could be unlocked with the following fixes/features/improvements:

• Support for different resolutions (aspect ratios), VSync, Anti-Aliasing.
  • Optimized (bug-free) netcode, cart wheeling doesn't work online :(
  • A Level Editor (Steam Workshop).
  • More game types, (Duel, CTF, 2v2 Duel, etc.)

Someone send messhof a small indie dev team in the mail please?

Anybody from the east coast up for some matches? Have yet to play online only been local for the most part, tried with my friend who lives in the Midwest, and it was completely unplayable.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
This game is the de facto lunch game now. turning off divekicks is interesting, also boomerang swords in clouds makes clouds a much better level

hymanator

I recently bought a couple of knock-off USB NES controllers and I finally got them to work with this. Had to use a program called "J2K", which is similar to joy2key, but supports a wider range of usb controllers. Feels perfect for this game.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
I recently bought a couple of knock-off USB NES controllers and I finally got them to work with this. Had to use a program called "J2K", which is similar to joy2key, but supports a wider range of usb controllers. Feels perfect for this game.

oooh we bought some too, thanks for doing the grunt work, will check this out on monday

Clawww

Anybody from the east coast up for some matches? Have yet to play online only been local for the most part, tried with my friend who lives in the Midwest, and it was completely unplayable.

add me and just shoot me a message sometime, we can work out when to play

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I kinda fell out of it, to be honest. I got super slammed with a new Dark Souls character and now Broken Age is out. I might not get back to nidhoggin' for like a week or something. I also started playing Starbound as well.

fallout

I played some Nidhogg at work last night with 3 other people. We decided to do a little tournament consisting of a round robin where everyone played each other twice followed by a double elimination bracket. It worked out really well, as there was more pressure to perform. Everye had an absolute blast.

I wish the game had better built-in tournament options, though. I'd also like to see a sudden death mode where you can set the number of rounds. After each death, a short timer starts before the next one.

Thinking of buying Nidhogg and taking it over my friends house so a few of us can play. They're not usually into the indie stuff so hopefully they'll enjoy it.

Plugging in a ps3 controller works ok with it right?

Mit-

Castle sucks. Impossible-to-pass points are everywhere, such as when a defender is inside a doorway that the opponent must jump and land right in front of.

Or any time the defender has the high ground. Nothing you can do but pray you get a godlike sword throw.

Mit-

High ground defender situations are the worst. They can just sit there and not have to budge.

Exactly.

Castle sucks. I've had friends play games that go on for 20-30 minutes on Castle because of the choke points.

Mines > Wilds > Clouds >>> Castle.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Played this yesterday for the first time. Wonderful stuff! Really like the fastpaced back-and-forth mindfuckkery. Does your stance (high-mid-low) influence your reach? I get the Bushido Blade nods people have pointed out - also immediately made me crave a Nidhogg-styled game with Samurai/Katana's.

jon_dojah

Banned
Wow coincidentally I played this for the first time a couple of hours ago. I bought it the day it came out and its been sitting in my Steam library since. Gonna try to get some peeps to come over and play.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
uh-oh, a bump. Now the mods will move this to community.. Noooooooooooooooooooooo...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The couch co-op potential for this means I'll probably skip the steam sale and wait for the PS4 version.

or buy both if the steam version goes low enough :p

NateDog

Is this on sale already or are you guys just speculating? A friend showed me this just on release and I thought it looked great but I heard multiplayer was awful, don't know if they fixed it yet. I presume my little Sony Vaio can run it.

SamVimes

I see this is on sale and it always seemed pretty interesting but i'm reading around that the online multiplayer doesn't work that well, can anyone confirm? I'm not gonna play local so if online is bad it's a waste of money.

fallout

I see this is on sale and it always seemed pretty interesting but i'm reading around that the online multiplayer doesn't work that well, can anyone confirm? I'm not gonna play local so if online is bad it's a waste of money.
Local is amazing and quite honestly some of the most competitive gaming fun I've ever had.

Online is bad, but can be tolerable if you know someone who has low latency to you.

anyone still play, or have picked it up in the humble sale and want to? £3.50 on their store. Just bought it and Friends are being crappy :(

my steam is shinealightonme

Here's an old bump but a worthy one:

Messhof posted a Steam Discussion topic yesterday about working with a netcode programmer over the past 3+ months. They've been overhauling the multiplayer's netcode. And everyone who owns the game can try out the multiplayer beta branch. All you need to do is go to Steam Library > Nidhogg > Properties > Betas and then select “beta” from the dropdown. There is no password needed. You'll download a small patch and then you'll be good to go.

I just played with someone where we shared a 100ms~ connection (yes, now it shows ping!), and let's just say it was way more stable and playable than any same region connections I experienced with the game at launch. There were some minor stuttering quirks, but I am more than optimistic with how this is turning out.

I had originally feared this game would be lost in the ether due to its spotty netcode hurting recommendations. I'm so glad to see messhof coming back to this game to support it after so long.

Khaz

Your link doesn't work?

I wish he patched the controls. You can only use the analogue stick, so any "retro" controller with only a digital direction pad won't work out of the box with it.

Also where is the Linux version? The Steam Machines are due "soon", and I need my Nidhogg on it :(

Top Bottom