• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nidhogg |OT| GET THAT DICK (Steam, PC)

The invite page in game seems to be broken. I got messages telling me to fuck off from everyone but the person I was trying to invite. The friend buttons seem to be organized by alphabetical order but the text in the buttons are organized in random order. It's really weird.

Got it sorted out though and played some fun (but brief) games with fallout.

Wait, you're saying that if I were to attempt to invite "Player X" for example on my friends list through the in-game list, it may actually send it to someone else on my friend's list?

Kade

Wait, you're saying that if I were to attempt to invite "Player X" on my friends list through the in-game list, it may actually send it to someone else on my friend's list?

Yeah. I don't know if anyone else is having that issue as well. fallout's name was on the same page but in different positions which I'm assuming was the page for usernames starting with O-R for me because it sent invites to those people instead. Like fallout said, just right click the person you want to play with on your friends list in Steam and click Join Game.

Yeah. I don't know if anyone else is having that issue as well. fallout's name was on the same page but in different positions which I'm assuming was the page for usernames starting with O-R for me because it sent invites to those people instead. Like fallout said, just right click the person you want to play with on your friends list in Steam and click Join Game.

Now that you've brought it up, I think that answers that problems I was having earlier with two different people I was intentionally trying to play with. They weren't getting chat notifications of an invite or anything, so they had to manually click join game in the steam chat drop down menu.

Clawww

I actually just ran into this issue, what the fuck ugh

Apdiddy

Not sure if this is an apt comparsion, but what Hotline Miami does for action games, Nidhogg does for fighting games.

Skerj

man the steam discussion page for this game is the worst thing I've read all year

Year's still new mate, I'm sure something will outdo them in due time.

I did see a post calling it a Poor Man's Prince Of Persia. ..so that's leave the planet worthy. Why'd you make me read them Clawww!? Now my head hurts too.

Squire

Banned
The cloud stage is the best. Dat music.

Not sure if this is an apt comparsion, but what Hotline Miami does for action games, Nidhogg does for fighting games.

I could see that, totally. I like this much more though. HM was so hard it was unplayable for me after a certain point. I've only been playing arcade mode and I'm not sure I'll ever go through it all. There's only four levels though, so that's fine with me. Gonna introduce it to friends tomorrow.

It's everything Divekick wanted to be.

RetroMG

Oh damn. I kept seeing that Nidhogg was coming out soon, but I'd forgotten what game it was. Will buy as soon as I get paid.

Alfredo

Sad that there's no Mac version yet, but I bought it anyway and it looks like it runs really well via Wine!

Can't wait to get some friends together to play it.

Yeah there's definitely some form of host advantage in the netcode unfortunately. I just had someone say that the match was choppy for them while it was perfectly smooth on my end.

ultron87

So I really love that the priority arrow actually kind of works like priority in actual foil fencing. Once someone is on the offensive the other player has to halt them before they can advance.

So how would you guys rank the stages? My list goes like this:

Castle
Mines
Wild
Cloud

It's a bit of a toss up between Castle and Mines. I think I like them about the same really.

I've played a ton of the pre release version, so here are a few tips till I can tear into the full release. I'm pretty decent on defense, but I suck at offense.

1. If someone jumps at you, MOVE BACK. Dive kicks are nasty, but if they come up short you can punish them. FORCE THEM TO COME UP SHORT.

2. If you can't move back, a well timed jump and throw will grant an easy kill on a divekicker.

3. when fencing, try tapping towards your enemy rapidly. This is called the "Fast advance" and it lets you strike unexpectedly.

4. Learn to disarm. it stops those fast advancers and it can be really effective in tight spaces. To disarm, simply move your sword up or down onto their sword.

5. If you are behind a guy, just run the other way and get a re spawn. Trying to catchup will give them 3 free spawns.

6. If you get a kill, try dive kick running. Do short hops with continuous dive kicks. You can gain a lot of speed and possibly skip a tough spawn (IE, room spawns in the castle)

7. Abuse ledges. If you have the highground you are TOUGH to beat. bide your time. If you are low, try and fake them out. A high sword throw is probably your best bet, but I've seen perfect dive kicks save that situation.

Alfredo

lol. Played my first online match. It was on the Castle stage, I think. I did okay, constant back and forth between me and the other player. I was on the verge of victory three times, and I accidentally fell to my death every time (I would blame lag :p). On the third time, the other guy was disarmed, and he made a huge comeback from my side of the map to his, entirely unarmed without dying.

I would consider that "Choke Detection" on my part.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I both love and hate that they stuck with colors for the cloud background that make sword throws really hard to see.

i think its part of the unique challenge of the stage. each stage has a combination of the following:

platforming
obscured vision
not being able to throw a sword
forced fencing area
etc

its sort of the appeal of each stage, i think, that they are so unique. it might suck when you can't see what's going on and you're playing against an AI, but its hardly something that is game breaking IMO.

Here's a quote:

these people would complain if the game was a dollar. 15 is really not that much in the grand scheme of things, and besides it is going to get a lot of use in tournament settings. the steam community talking about the way it looks is also pretty ridiculous lol

if anyone wants to play me, i'm on the west coast: http://steamcommunity.com/id/davepoobond/

also, lol at the achievement NSA -- 1000 intelligence gathered. i have no idea what the hell that is.

I'm on crappy wifi, so I was juttering all over the place.

Still fun, I won 3/5. I'm loving the mix of level designs. He cleared up a few of my major issues from the pre-release version.

Lack of dpad support on xbox 360 controller is wtf though.

So how would you guys rank the stages? My list goes like this:

Castle
Mines
Wild
Cloud

It's a bit of a toss up between Castle and Mines. I think I like them about the same really.

I would agree with that list. The more vanilla stages (where nothing is obfuscating the player's vision) are where the combat mechanics shine the most.

I'm enjoying playing with quite a few people from here and seeing how their play styles fare differently from each other. Some love to take calculated risks with sword throws, others have low stabs down to a tee or are divekick happy. It's great to see this have some natural flexibility akin to a fighting game yet with only one permanent moveset.

Clawww

I've played a ton of the pre release version, so here are a few tips till I can tear into the full release. I'm pretty decent on defense, but I suck at offense.

good stuff

some things I've been keeping in mind re: divekicks

-Don't divekick when you're defending--the enemy can roll under and you're finshed, just like that.

-Against divekicks, you can jump backwards and divekick forward, or jump straight up and dive kick backwards

-Forward jump into backwards divekick can make for a useful bait

Vysetron

Neo Member
I fucking love Nidhogg. Happy to finally own it. I get so much joy out of trying to win with as few kills as possible; rolling between someone's legs just to keep running feels incredible.

Makai

Steam: ActionRemix
US East

I bought the Humble version. Feel a little gyped because I was expecting a DRM free option.

Clawww

Game is everything I hoped it would be. Glad I pulled the trigger.

yup, ever since I saw it I was hoping it would live up to how fun it seemed. it's great.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/skerj Come see me in the mines!! Or in the wild!! Or in the clouds!! Orange team go, orange team go.

what region

we're loaded with east coast right now haha

Ill play. vocab on steam. Jojo avatar. East coast.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/vocab

I don't think that's you, need steam ID

Game's really fun but the online is ass so I'm pretty much done 'til it gets fixed. I think local coop would be incredible but I don't have the option.

Vysetron

Neo Member
6D0D9327BC9A9FA9FB63EAAE3978D34BB593E96B

Made some mistakes and the AI could have been more agreeable, but still, progress!

Top Bottom