• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nidhogg |OT| GET THAT DICK (Steam, PC)

Also, I think I may have found a "secret" in the Castle, but I'll have to test it more... will report back soon.

So this seems to be a bug, and a bad one at that.

In the Castle level, directly after the 2 pits with a small island between, there is a small room with two doors.

On the left side of the castle, this room is as it should be, with the ceiling a few feet above your head. On the right side of the castle, however, the invisible ceiling barrier is much lower than it should be.

You have to time it just right, but if you hold crouch, jump while crouched, then press Up before the peak of your jump, it will cause your character to "break through" the ceiling, and your character will disappear. You'll then notice you've been teleported off screen, above the room. I accidentally discovered this when playing in "baby mode" versus my roommate, but thought little more of it.

BUT

Since this room is basically acting the same way the hallways do in the Mines, I decided to try the same method there. BAD NEWS! You can teleport above the hallway in the mines and run along the top, off screen, right by your opponent, nullifying the point of the hallways entirely.

Where to send bug reports?!

Cizard

Did anyone else get this? I managed to survive getting eaten by pausing at the right time!

XI96KZdDS2yLghKpponSZZJAHz5kn-qP-q9dJRFXUbw

So this seems to be a bug, and a bad one at that.

In the Castle level, directly after the 2 pits with a small island between, there is a small room with two doors.

On the left side of the castle, this room is as it should be, with the ceiling a few feet above your head. On the right side of the castle, however, the invisible ceiling barrier is much lower than it should be.

You have to time it just right, but if you hold crouch, jump while crouched, then press Up before the peak of your jump, it will cause your character to "break through" the ceiling, and your character will disappear. You'll then notice you've been teleported off screen, above the room. I accidentally discovered this when playing in "baby mode" versus my roommate, but thought little more of it.

BUT

Since this room is basically acting the same way the hallways do in the Mines, I decided to try the same method there. BAD NEWS! You can teleport above the hallway in the mines and run along the top, off screen, right by your opponent, nullifying the point of the hallways entirely.

Where to send bug reports?!

You can try linking your post to Mark's twitter. Sounds like a bad glitch if it's easy to replicate.

You can try linking your post to Mark's twitter. Sounds like a bad glitch if it's easy to replicate.

It's not difficult after you do it a few times--seems to be an effect of entering a player state that shouldn't be allowed at that height due to collision with the ceiling, and you just clip up to the next collision-free zone.

Someone else will need to alert him via twitter, I deleted my account long ago.

Zia

Stage tier:
Castle > Wilds > Mines > Clouds

Music Tier:
Clouds > Castle > Mines > Wilds

What?! Wilds has the best music!

Also, I had a few disconnects today during my victory lap. Doesn't matter much to me, but for low-skill players that are attempting to grind out the 100 wins achievement, it'd be nice if he patched it so that a win is tallied once you enter that final screen.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yesss, just had a buddy over to play some head to head. He lost his shit at this game.
We also played some of the sportsfriends stuff and its really weird going from nidhogg to BBB, BBB moves at a snails pace in comparison.

Nymphae

Banned
How lovely of them to advertise this game as having full controller support, while my dpad doesn't work and you need a mouse to navigate certain menus.

Other than that the game seems pretty awesome. But I hate playing 2d games with a keyboard, so I guess I'm shit out of luck until this gets fixed.

Nymphae

Banned
Or you could just use JoyToKey. It can even be used to emulate mouse movement.

If I had known what that was I would have gotten it I suppose, still doesn't change they're incorrectly claiming the game has full controller support. And what's up with that anyway? How the fuck does this game have analog support but no dpad support?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Dude you go in the controls settings of Nidhogg and remap your stick to the dpad. Seriously not too difficult.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Oh wow ok I just figured it out. My bad, I'm an idiot.

Keep in mind some modes still have broken dpad movement even after remapping. I did some testing.

Offlline Multi and Tournament Mode = dpad works fine

Single Player and Online Multi = wonky dpad

Ultimadrago

Just finished single player. I swear Rainbow Man in the Mines took me a whole 30 minutes. I enjoyed my time, but I really wish the online wasn't such crap.

Clawww

I actually prefer playing on pad because I just revert to fighting game style jump inputs with sticks, which means I'm always jumping up-forward and getting a sword throw instead of divekick lol

I haven't had a match that didn't end with ":( LAG" since launch. The netcode and rubber banding means this is pretty much broken, at least here in the UK. Of all the smooth games I've had, the other player has left after one game because obviously on their side it was super laggy. Not what I expect for £10.

It's a great fun game locally so I'm really disappointed with the online. Not convinced it's going to get fixed any time soon either.

Stage tier:
Castle > Wilds > Mines > Clouds

Music Tier:
Clouds > Castle > Mines > Wilds

To be fair, all the stages have phenomenal music. I'd pay more than what I paid for the game just for the soundtrack.
Music: Wilds > Castle > Mines > Clouds

Cloud is by far the weakest stage since it's much harder to stop someone's momentum once they have the arrow and start running away. Mines and Castle are perfect levels as they force you to fence on some screens, put doors to stop jumping runaways and have enough pits to keep the tempo on the last few screens under control.
Stages: Castle > Mines > Wilds > Clouds

uncleslappy

nethack is my favorite dark souls clone
The day this comes out on consoles, I'm inviting everyone I've ever known over for a tournament.

Nymphae

Banned
Keep in mind some modes still have broken dpad movement even after remapping. I did some testing.

Offlline Multi and Tournament Mode = dpad works fine

Single Player and Online Multi = wonky dpad

I was playing Single player pretty reliable with a DS3 this weekend. The mechanics in this game kick ass, love the music too. Just sometimes it feels like the action goes from standstill to holy shit I have no idea what just happened too quickly, it can be hard to react as fast as you need to, but the near instant spawns help alleviate the frustration.

So how bad is the netcode? I bought a copy for a friend who lives in the Midwest. Will it be unplayable for us? (I live on the East coast as I said in the post above.)

fallout

So how bad is the netcode? I bought a copy for a friend who lives in the Midwest. Will it be unplayable for us? (I live on the East coast as I said in the post above.)
Hard to say without a ton of data. I've had inconsistent experiences, even playing against the same person.

Hard to say without a ton of data. I've had inconsistent experiences, even playing against the same person.

Ah alright well I guess I'll just hope for the best lol. Hoping maybe the netcode will be improved over time. But anyways playing local co-op with a friend is a blast game is just downright fun. With a good netcode this game would be perfect.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
This game in a local tournament between buds with loads of beer around is so fucking hype oh my god

Still wish online was better, but that is without a doubt the best way to experience getting that dick.

Wunder

Just played a set with "The Great Catsby", some dude online. After 2 games I asked him to add me on steam but during the 3rd game he got booted out :[

superbank

I was playing Single player pretty reliable with a DS3 this weekend. The mechanics in this game kick ass, love the music too. Just sometimes it feels like the action goes from standstill to holy shit I have no idea what just happened too quickly, it can be hard to react as fast as you need to, but the near instant spawns help alleviate the frustration.
Hmm. What software are you using to play with DS3? I assumed the broken dpad was universal but maybe it's only an issue with 360 controllers. It seems like there is default dpad support in the menu, Single Player, and Online Mupliplayer, just the directions are mixed up. Up/down to adjust sword height is set to left/right on the dpad. Left/right to move are up/down. Essen did a recent patch to allow mapping of controls to the dpad. This does allow me to do that but the default controls are not replaced, the game does both inputs at the same time. For example: When attempting to move forward the character moves forward for a milisecond, barely going anywhere, then adjusts his sword down. If I continue to hold forward he will then run in that direction. It's possible to play in this manner but it also limits movement options. A big part of the game is being able to inch forward with short taps which is not possible with the current setup.

Is Essen aware of this problem? I looked at his twitter feed where he tweeted about the dpad update and someone replied that it was still broken but got no response. I don't have a twitter account, if someone could send this Essens way I'd appreciate it!

And yeah the game is awesome and fast. The computer does some crazy fast moves that I don't stand a chance against with an analog stick.

superbank

Well the update fixed single player dpad at least. Works great. Online multiplayer and the starting screen menu still have the same problem though. The online interface can now be controlled with a gamepad (minus text input) which is nice.

Clawww

man, had a sweet ass single 20 minute round earlier today

the adrenaline was kicking in for real, tense as fuck

Codeblue

Man, I almost threw my stick at a friend because he kept killing me with low sweeps. I've since learned to hold my sword low as default since a throw at least gives you a split second warning animation.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
How can you peolpe get random matches? The most I've seen online is 2 players ):.
This is sad. The lag compensation is horrible too. Like I had a pretty good match going, fencing and all that worked just fine. But I couldn't throw my sword and if I didn't get a good run in beforehand, I couldn't jump over an obstacle.

They really need to get that shit together if it's going to have a chance as an online game, which I guess was never really the point.

It's Bloody Good Time all over again, that game was a blast online, then player count just disappeared and Ubi shut the studio down. I want something other than TF2 and Chivalry to play online dammit.

And the game pauses if the window is inactive, so you don't get dropped in a match unless you keep the window active, but that takes ages so you want to do something else while it looks for a player, ughhhhhhhhh.

superbank

How can you peolpe get random matches? The most I've seen online is 2 players ):.
This is sad. The lag compensation is horrible too. Like I had a pretty good match going, fencing and all that worked just fine. But I couldn't throw my sword and if I didn't get a good run in beforehand, I couldn't jump over an obstacle.

They really need to get that shit together if it's going to have a chance as an online game, which I guess was never really the point.

It's Bloody Good Time all over again, that game was a blast online, then player count just disappeared and Ubi shut the studio down. I want something other than TF2 and Chivalry to play online dammit.

And the game pauses if the window is inactive, so you don't get dropped in a match unless you keep the window active, but that takes ages so you want to do something else while it looks for a player, ughhhhhhhhh.
The player count is misleading. From my observations (and I could be wrong) the "players online" counter only displays people actively looking for a game. If 2 players get into a game they're removed from the list. Though there are many times when there really are only 1 or 2 people on (not counting friend matches). Night time is probably when most players are on.

As you said, the main problem is the netcode. I think most people try a few matches, experience terrible lag, and never try again. I wouldn't blame them either. If you stick it out though you can find people you have a good connection to and add them as your friend. Even with friends with a good connection the game is likely to quit the match if it goes too long which is inexcusable. I'm not sure what's up with that. Everything will be going just fine, then all of a sudden I can't move my character but there's an update to character positions every second for a few seconds, going across the screen. Then the match ends. So yeah, the online definitely needs a lot more work.

I've noticed that the "players online" counter didn't update after a certain point. It will update once and never again. This might affect potential matches to players, like it doesn't "see" new players and won't match you with them (though this might not be the case at all). Here's a guide to keeping an up to date player count:

- Press F1 to see an updating list of the games actions.
- Go into matchmaking.
- Once in matchmaking the list will say "waiting 15 seconds to join a room" or something like that. The list will update every half second with "pinging other players" or whatever.
- After 15 seconds it will say "joining a room matchmaking complete". "Players online" will update if there is a new player.
- If you DO NOT get into a lobby within the next 10 seconds exit matchmaking and try again. After this point it seems like the game no longer searches for new players and it will not find a new lobby no matter how long you wait.

The update may have changed how the matchmaking code works so I'm not sure if this applies anymore (haven't tried the new version) but it's what I've been doing to get into matches/see the real potential player count.

There was also another update this morning.

Zia

Anyone else just laugh the entire time they're playing?

One of my favorite-funniest moments is allowing someone to spawn on the other side of the first set of doors on Castle, sprinting through and then scaling the wall, dive-kicking over top of them and landing into a roll and, then, when they inevitably chase you, quickly exiting your roll and turning around to stab them in the dick.

Agh. So good.

Top Bottom