• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nidhogg |OT| GET THAT DICK (Steam, PC)

fallout

We should do a GAF tourney sometime in the near future. We need some 90s rap east vs west conflict.
This would be fun, although I'm sure it would remind me of the time that I tried to run a Mario Kart DS tournament. Several people had to drop out because of connection issues. The finals match was a miracle in that all 4 people managed to connect.

Speaking of tournament mode, it'd be nice to have some other functionality there as well. Particularly, an optional round-robin mode. This would help establish seeding when it's not known. Sure, I can do it manually (and plan to when I host a work tournament), but it would be nice to have it done automatically.

Excellent news.

This has me really excited among other patches. Though I'm curious what others think of the idea of possibly adding in characters with different move sets and what that could mean for Nidhogg.

If Mark Essen can craft other playstyles that mesh well with Nidhogg's base then I'm all for that. But at the same time, I'm hesitant at the thought of unnecessarily adding stuff to the game and hurting its beautiful simplicity.

I think I've finally found an online game that's hooked me, and that's Nidhogg. Had a great online match today. While the solo mode is a fun diversion, the real meat is the MP. Getting better too. I nailed three divevicks in a row, and then my last fight, both of us lost our swords so we had a two-minute melee fight

Had an awesome moment in the Wilds where the guy threw his sword at me, I dodged it and kept running, so the sword was still flying through the air, and then the guy spawned in front of me and got killed by his own sword.

NewGame

Banned
I bought 4 copies of this game, sending them out to friends. They said they don't have time/don't understand it.

I hate this game.
2704.png

The Australian matchmaker is so empty.

fallout

Played some local multiplayer with a buddy tonight. Had a blast. Our significant others were watching and I think enjoying it as much as we were.

Had an awesome moment in the Wilds where the guy threw his sword at me, I dodged it and kept running, so the sword was still flying through the air, and then the guy spawned in front of me and got killed by his own sword.
Ha! That's awesome.

I think I've finally found an online game that's hooked me, and that's Nidhogg. Had a great online match today. While the solo mode is a fun diversion, the real meat is the MP. Getting better too. I nailed three divevicks in a row, and then my last fight, both of us lost our swords so we had a two-minute melee fight

Oh, and the best part about that melee fight was that it was in the final stage and all he had to do was run to the other screen to win. But he was a gentleman so he stayed and we duked it out like men

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Can I run this game on a low power system? Looks amazing. Also can I play it with kb/m or is a game pad better?

koolaroo

Man the AI in this game is smart. Played about 3 hours with a friend today so I figured "ha the AI will be no match for me now" boy was I wrong. Also is it even possible to do all the moves on a controller?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
why should I play this game? It seems expensive and looks......

Cohsae

I don't know I mean there's a whole thread here full of people having loads of fun and talking about why the game is great and a bunch of rave reviews but you're right it totally looks.....

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Don't buy it. It's a trick. This is all an elaborate ruse. You were nearly fooled. Run from here, run!

haha alright, I'll try and word that a little better.. Is this actually worth 12 bucks? looks pretty quirky/weird, but 12 bucks. I'll also have to be salesman to my mates who will just say 'graphics are shitty' (I know I know).

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
haha alright, I'll try and word that a little better.. Is this actually worth 12 bucks? looks pretty quirky/weird, but 12 bucks. I'll also have to be salesman to my mates who will just say 'graphics are shitty' (I know I know).

You're not much better so far

Game is worth it.

NewGame

Banned

You can buy it and then invite them over for beer and share a keyboard.

Man the AI in this game is smart. Played about 3 hours with a friend today so I figured "ha the AI will be no match for me now" boy was I wrong. Also is it even possible to do all the moves on a controller?

At one point during the singleplayer, the AI started mirroring my friend's inputs exactly. Step for step, jump for jump, thrust for thrust, and so on. Exactly mirroring him with no delay. I've noticed in some instances of my singleplayer runs that the AI seemed to string together a few movements that I had previously used... combinations of movements that seemed too eerily similar to be coincidence.

I'm now convinced the AI uses recorded movements from the player at times.

I wish we could get Essen in here to discuss how he developed the AI.

Wunder

if you have doubts about it then you probably wouldn't enjoy it. Depending on where you live you'd need at least 3 other people close to you that could play the game with you. The great part about this game is that it runs on almost anything, so I can stick it on my laptop and play it anywhere! Local multiplayer is where the game truly shines but if you don't really like playing fighting games or footsie-based games then I don't think this game is for you

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Last night I had been drinking some beer as I was smashing through skeletons in Dark Souls and figured I'd have a game of Nidhogg. My brain instantly went LOLNO and I lost the match in under a minute.

Clawww

At one point during the singleplayer, the AI started mirroring my friend's inputs exactly. Step for step, jump for jump, thrust for thrust, and so on. Exactly mirroring him with no delay. I've noticed in some instances of my singleplayer runs that the AI seemed to string together a few movements that I had previously used... combinations of movements that seemed too eerily similar to be coincidence.

I'm now convinced the AI uses recorded movements from the player at times.

I wish we could get Essen in here to discuss how he developed the AI.

My process involved watching people play a lot, writing down all the different strategies players use in different areas, and then programming the AI to do each of them. For instance, if holding the high ground on one spot is really effective, the AI could pick that strategy, if the conditions are met. It’ll keep doing that for a while if it’s working out, or it might pick a different strategy.

Each strategy has a bunch of associated jobs — the basic ‘fencing’ jobs are guard, look for an opening, attack, move back, move in, divekick, sweep kick, disarm, etc. The AI will pick a strategy and then decide which job it wants to do first.

If that job finished successfully, it’ll pick from a certain subset for the next job. If it failed or was interrupted, it’ll either pick a different job or even a different grand strategy. Different AI personalities favor certain strategies or be quicker about certain jobs so players can actually read their opponents movements and figure out how to exploit them.

getting PTSD from steam forums

and...?
Finish your thought!

Gameplay always comes first, beyond story or visuals. Gameplay is what makes a game tick.

And gameplay is where Nidhogg shines.

It's tense tactical game where your skills as a player matter as much as your ability to lure and trick your opponent.
It's a subtle give and take, of establishing patterns only to break them, of intimate moments of stillness and caution as the two of you step back and forth anticipating the first strike.
It's a game where all are equally matched, where true skill decides the victor rather than the perks, upgrades, boosters of so many other games

Not that the visuals are bad either. They just work, and the smooth animations make each fight seem fluid and dynamic. While I love Samurai Gunn's lightning fast pace and more varied maps, Nidhogg slower paced, more cerebral challenge is absolutely addicting. And while you may be able to leap through the air with ease in Samurai, you're much more agile and versatile in Nidhogg

I rarely play online games, but Nidhogg has me hooked. This is a must play

ultron87

As far as I'm concerned running is the essential strategy for this game. Get that arrow and GOOOOO.

There are still way too many people online who try to chase instead of getting the respawn.

I think if Nidhogg had working netcode the game would be an easy sell at $15, but at the moment if I had to be convinced to buy the game I probably wouldn't drop more than $10.

Clawww

I think if Nidhogg had working netcode the game would be an easy sell at $15, but at the moment if I had to be convinced to buy the game I probably wouldn't drop more than $10.

the netcode works. I've had lots and lots of great matches online.

the connections are pretty hit or miss because the matchmaking interface is booty

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I read that article, but my question is whether or not some of the "strategies" available to the AI include directly mirroring the player input, or using previously recorded player input in some instances.

I don't think he programmed it like that. It's more likely it was a bug if it was exactly mirroring your friends movements.

If you notice, the AI never really jumps past you like a human would. I think you are just projecting.

the netcode works. I've had lots and lots of great matches online.

the connections are pretty hit or miss because the matchmaking interface is booty

I tried playing against a friend on the west coast and it was nigh unplayable. Netplay that only works about 50% of the time in quick match and is entirely region dependent for friendly play is not good netcode.

bounchfx

It certainly works. I've had a lot of really great games online.

The only issue for me is I've never seen more than 2 people online. (or so it says)

I don't think he programmed it like that. It's more likely it was a bug if it was exactly mirroring your friends movements.

If you notice, the AI never really jumps past you like a human would. I think you are just projecting.

In order for that mirroring behavior to be a 'bug' per se, there still must exist some mechanism for applying player input to the AI-controlled opponent in singleplayer mode. I'd like to know how long these AI 'strategy' states typically last, as the AI opponent directly mirrored my friend for around 5 seconds or so before changing behavior. It was not a case of it being very close or coincidental--it was as if the game was suddenly in offline versus mode and both characters were reading inputs from the same controller.

Also, I think I may have found a "secret" in the Castle, but I'll have to test it more... will report back soon.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone in the Bay Area want to have a match? I'm in Santa Rosa, lets see how the online is.

I've won 39 matches online. Been beating dudes so badly that I don't even advance with the go arrow if my enemy is in front of me without a fair fight. One more note: the Clouds stage music. That's some good stuff.

My SteamID (southern US) if anyone is down for some matchmaking later.

people not knowing how to defend =/= running/divekicking is overpowered

game is so good

And I totally agree with this. My issue above is more of a minor annoyance (and in most cases, the rollback goes hand in hand with it) than anything in the grand scheme of things. The more I play this, the more I become closer to feeling the same as EDGE regarding the core game.

Had some great games with my friend in NYC, almost no latency compensation and smooth. He won all five but each one was great. Two games went end to end.

He played nasty head games with sword throws and sweeps. I need a rematch :)

Clawww

Had some great games with my friend in NYC, almost no latency compensation and smooth. He won all five but each one was great. Two games went end to end.

He played nasty head games with sword throws and sweeps. I need a rematch :)

I'm pretty sure I have you on my list; I'm in NYC also so we should definitely get a game in sometime

And I totally agree with this. My issue above is more of a minor annoyance (and in most cases, the rollback goes hand in hand with it) than anything in the grand scheme of things. The more I play this, the more I become closer to feeling the same as EDGE regarding the core game.

yea it's annoying to always have to adapt to run-away. you may lose some screens or even games and even after you punish it someone opponents will still try the same thing over and over.

Top Bottom