• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nigel Farage resigns as Ukip leader

Status
Not open for further replies.

zsynqx

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nigel-farage-resigns-as-ukip-leader-a7118626.html

Nigel Farage has resigned as the leader of Ukip just two weeks after Britons voted to leave the European Union, adding that he “couldn’t possibly achieve more”.

At a speech in London, Mr Farage, who was elected as an MEP for the party in 1999, said he had never wanted to be a career politician and was standing down.

“I now feel that I’ve done my bit, that I couldn’t possibly achieve more,” he said.

“I won’t be changing my mind again, I assure you”.

“I have decided to stand aside as leader of Ukip. The victory for the Leave side in the referendum means that my political ambition has been achieved. I came into this business because I wanted us to a self-governing nation, not to become a career politician.

“Ukip is in a good position and will continue, with my full support to attract a significant vote. Whilst we will now leave the European Union the terms of our withdrawal are unclear. If there is too much backsliding by the Government and with the Labour Party detached from many of its voters then Ukip’s best days may yet to come”, he added.

Video

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/749894793757503488
"I want my life back"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-jAEln3WDc

XhxZhyG.gif

Maledict

I have no doubt he is now online for an extremely lucrative job with Murdoch, given what we saw at the weekend.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
So he's going to dip the country into a recession, and then decides to resign to go off and live happily ever after?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone in a significant position from the Leave campaign trying to disappear before the consequences start rolling in.

Zaptruder

Banned
This is what happens when you're so fucking uninformed that you buy into demagogues promising the world and could care less about facts and proof.

'Surely they couldn't say those things if someone wasn't holding them accountable?'

*later*

'Get out of here with your elitist experts!'

*much later*

'Thanks for the votes! And thanks for the publicity, I'll now be parachuting out to my sweet new gig! Tata suckers!'

So soooo much damage done for such middling ambition. Unbelievable.

Carl2291

Farage isn't in government, has nothing to do with how the country is run and has achieved his goal that he set out on over 20 years ago.

Mission accomplished. If UKIP want to really cut into that Labour vote then it needs a new man (or woman) at the head of the party.

Anyway, congratulations Nigel. You took on the establishment and you won. Enjoy your retirement.

Lime

Fuck this guy for everything he has done throughout his entire existence on this planet. Such a fear-mongering racist that has fucked over the lives of hundreds of thousands if not millions of people.

Alienous

The party does seem kind of redundant now. They'll never be in power, and they've achieved their primary mission objective without needing to be elected.

Let me see if I get this right:

1. David Cameron gambled with this referendum, promised to activate #50 directly if the people voted to leave, didn't do it, and resigned instead?
2. Nigel Farage backtracked on important promises before people even had woken up the day after the vote, and is now resigning?
3. Boris Johnson was one of the most vocal persons for the exit side, but then decided to jump the ship, and write a book about Shakespeare?

Is there anyone in GB who feels like take any kind of responsibility for anything?

I have no doubt he is now online for an extremely lucrative job with Murdoch, given what we saw at the weekend.

Yup. The slimeball is gonna use him as his 'expert voice' to rile up the crowds.

So this makes 2 prominent leave voices who've just pissed off from having real responsibility. Bastards.

Matty8787

Let me see if I get this right:

1. David Cameron gambled with this referendum, promised to activate #50 directly if the people voted to leave, didn't do it, and resigned instead?
2. Nigel Farage backtracked on important promises before people even had woken up the day after the vote, and is now resigning?
3. Boris Johnson was one of the most vocal persons for the exit side, but then decided to jump the ship, and write a book about Shakespeare?

Is there anyone in GB who feels like take any kind of responsibility for anything?

Farage never had the power to promise anything though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom