• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NiGHTS into Dreams HD |OT| Dreaming of snow, sparkles, and nightmares [Control patch]

cajunator

Banned
Also, for those of you who don't seem to understand this game, its one of Sega's more arcade style offerings. Its about timing and precision, getting enough orbs to overload the ideya capture devices and get back to the finish area in time before a nightmare clock of sorts catches up to you. Its really trippy and dreamy as the name implies and it is a FUCKING LOT OF FUN not to mention a true challenge to master. There are many little tricks to learn in order to speed up your time and points. Its actually a very short game, and fans of games like shmups might enjoy the challenge and understand the value of it. Others may find it to be way too short or simple for their liking. But it is certainly an incredible experience to play the first time with the imagery in it and the crazy amount of color and mind altering dreamworlds, accompanied by some of the most uplifting and fun music in videogames.

Omikaru

I'm in for the Steam version. Bring on next week! :D

Never played this before, but I'm really excited to get into it. I've heard lots of good things about this game, and it seems right up my street.

KageMaru

Sorry if I missed this but has it been confirmed that Christmas nights was cut of some content? IIRC I thought someone said Sonic was no longer in it.

Pyrrhus

Sorry if I missed this but has it been confirmed that Christmas nights was cut of some content? IIRC I thought someone said Sonic was no longer in it.

I think that's true. He wasn't in the PS2 version this HD port is based on. He played kind of horribly, though. So it's not the worst thing that could happen.

Will buy on XBLA. Amazing price. Never played Christmas Nights.
Also, pretty disappointed by the achievements. I thought Jet Set Radio had a near perfect achievement list.

I'm there. Still have my Nights pillowcase I got when I purchased the game and 3D controller from Best Buy!

I have that too! Don't know where it is at the moment, but I do remember it being incredible uncomfortable to actually use on a pillow you wanted to sleep on.

ShadiWulf

Updated OP with gameplay videos for people who have never played the game

also added screens of the HD version, it's nice and sharp looking!

Damn I should have sold my version of Nights and Christmas Nights before this came out. Oh well I will buy this for sure. It is easily one of the greatest games of all time and I play christmas nights every year on Christmas day.

JCV

Unconfirmed Member
I'm curious, besides the graphics, what's the big difference between the PS2 version and the Saturn version?

ShadiWulf

I'm curious, besides the graphics, what's the big difference between the PS2 version and the Saturn version?

PS2 comes with Chrsitmas NiGHTS.... and is on a DVD.. and comes with some sort of art gallery, and maybe some other extras, but other then that, i can't think of anything else.

As much as I'm looking forward to Nights, I have to say I'm concerned about Christmas Nights.

The PS2 version this is based on had Christmas Nights as an unlockable only after you got all A rankings with both characters, something I was never able to do. I really hope Sega took note of that and made it available by other means this time - particularly since they are using it as a selling point.

Mesoian

Christmas NiGHTS is the best because it has that smooth ass Acapella version of the main theme done by 2 of the boyz 2 men and 2 other dudes.

Iceman

As much as I'm looking forward to Nights, I have to say I'm concerned about Christmas Nights.

The PS2 version this is based on had Christmas Nights as an unlockable only after you got all A rankings with both characters, something I was never able to do. I really hope Sega took note of that and made it available by other means this time - particularly since they are using it as a selling point.

So you're telling me there's potentially a market for NiGHTS experts. Door-to-door unlocking of features for.. how much do you think all As is worth? 50 dollars?

Muffdraul

Christmas NiGHTS is the best because it has that smooth ass Acapella version of the main theme done by 2 of the boyz 2 men and 2 other dudes.

And that intro narrated by the woman who sounds like she's on some major barbiturates... Just remembering it makes me sleepy.

scitek

Wait, are they treating this differently on PC than they did JSR? Wasn't the JSR page already up on Steam this time last week?

TheMan

if i recall, either toys r us or sears used to have this game set up to play at the store. i remember thinking it was good but not mindblowing or anything. i'll get the demo though, at least.

.la1n

I will play this. Sega is doing good with their HD ports, releasing them on the PC too.

Agreed. Jet Set Radio was a wonderful port so I have faith in this being well done. After the disappointment of playing Nights on Wii it will be nice to play the original.

So excited for this - it looks gorgeous in HD. I'll get it on my PS3, but it'd be awesome if it got the same treatment that JSR is getting as well ;)

ShadiWulf

cant believe its coming
gna cry

my body is shaking

journey into dreams had one track that was gorgeous beyond words

that's how i choose to remember it by

I thought all of the music in Journey of Dreams was great, as were the environment graphics, it was the character models that suffered greatly.. Core gameplay was OK, but it wasn't really score attack like it should of been. What killed that game was the alternate gameplay.. similar to what killed Sonic games, both by the same team! :p

Neo Child

Banned
in a dream
i can see
you are not far away

any time anyplace
i can see youuuuurr face
blah blah

YOURE THE ONE IM WAAITING FOR.

Just found out about this on Friday. Owned it and Christmas Nights back on Saturn, but if it's as good as the Daytona makeover I'm all over this.

I think Sega is quietly one of the best publishers out there this generation. They don't have smash hits anymore, but they're consistently doing a lot of really great games. I seem to have bought for more games from them than anyone else this round.

I thought all of the music in Journey of Dreams was great, as were the environment graphics, it was the character models that suffered greatly.. Core gameplay was OK, but it wasn't really score attack like it should of been. What killed that game was the alternate gameplay.. similar to what killed Sonic games, both by the same team! :p
Killed is too strong a word. All the extraneous cut scenes and the bland on foot levels definitely mar the experience, but once you've opened up all the stages it's actually a *gasp* pretty fun game. I wholly agree that nerfing the score attack elements was a misstep though. Not being able to fly around the cages and keep chaining combos was probably the biggest step backwards as far as the core gameplay goes. Still, I think JoD is much, much better than it generally gets credit for, in spite of some of the more dubious choices. If they had given the game 6 more months in the oven and left some of the less engaging content on the cutting room floor it might have been a cult classic. Oh well.

dani_dc

Wait, are they treating this differently on PC than they did JSR? Wasn't the JSR page already up on Steam this time last week?

Not at all, the game page only went up when the game went on sale.

There was even some speculation if the game was coming out that day or not since the Sega UK site was listing JSR as 2013 for PC.

I have no idea why Sega insist on having so little information about the PC releases of their products.

Mesoian

I think NiGHTS was the last game you could just pop the game disc into and copy all the music off.

At least I think it was, if not, I have no idea how I got that OST because I don't remember buying or downloading it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
*sigh* I can't wait until PSN updates~

So many things to get today including this.

LiveFromKyoto said:
I think Sega is quietly one of the best publishers out there this generation. They don't have smash hits anymore, but they're consistently doing a lot of really great games. I seem to have bought for more games from them than anyone else this round.
I think they started off on a bad foot, but as the generation progressed, they've gotten better and better. Sega's definitely one of my favourite publishers this gen. Capcpom is the opposite in that regard...

ezodagrom

Not at all, the game page only went up when the game went on sale.

There was even some speculation if the game was coming out that day or not since the Sega UK site was listing JSR as 2013 for PC.

I have no idea why Sega insist on having so little information about the PC releases of their products.
The SEGA UK listed the proper release date for JSR actually. It was the SEGA US page that listed just 2012 as release date for JSR PC.

I cannot wait for this! It's been a long time since I've played the first NiGhTS fully through. I wonder if my skills will be up to par...

ezodagrom

Eat a dick, Sega. Just for the delay on the PC version, I'm waiting for a sale on a 10 dollar game.
They never announced a date for the PC version, so it can't be said that it was delayed. What if the PC ports are just not ready?

Quoting what I said in the SA2 OT:
A few months for the PC version, hmm...
If the PC ports of NiGHTS and SA2 are as good as the Jet Set Radio port, I don't mind waiting a few months. Of course I would like to have them sooner rather than later, but oh well.

One thing I'm certain, I don't want to see a repeat of the awful SADX 2011 port.

Top Bottom