• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NiGHTS into Dreams HD |OT| Dreaming of snow, sparkles, and nightmares [Control patch]

He used GOG just as an example of a PC store, I kinda doubt these games will be released on GOG, since they require Steamworks and use Steam features like Steam leaderboards, they require the Steam client to run, which goes against the whole no DRM thing from GOG.
I'm being facetious, y'know. :p

Ugh I wish this was on vita so I could play, I remember when Nights first came out with the controller, I traded in a ton of gameboy games to funcoland in Staten Island in order to get enough to buy the game and controller. I played it for months.

So if I already own the PS2 version and play it unscaled to 1080p via emulation, does this add anything?

Is this just a bare bone PS2 port or has it been improved? (Graphically with latency)

ezodagrom

The consoles have a more streamlined process my ass.
Well, what he says makes sense though, if it was just being released on Steam, I wouldn't believe in the whole consoles having a more streamlined process thing, but, like he says, there's multiple digital stores, and getting them to release the game on the same day can be more troublesome than releasing it on XBLA or PSN.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Well, what he says makes sense though, if it was just being released on Steam, I wouldn't believe in the whole consoles having a more streamlined process thing, but, like he says, there's multiple digital stores, and getting them to release the game on the same day can be more troublesome than releasing it on XBLA or PSN.

It shouldn't be that difficult for Sega to arrange a simul-release since no one else seems to have issues.

Except maybe Ubisoft.

Besides, PC doesn't have to have day-and-date release for every single store at the same time, does it? Put it up wherever it can go up fastest first and let the rest of em sort it out. I dunno, just seems like a load to me.

For the record, I don't plan on shelving the game until a sale for this reason alone. I just think this is being poorly handled and that doesn't seem like a very good excuse.

dani_dc

The extra time is not because we didn’t develop the PC version along with everything else. XBLA and PSN have a much more streamlined release structure — it’s part of what makes those platforms so appealing. ‘PC’ is not a single store, though — there are a lot of different moving parts and places that may sell a given game, be it Amazon or Steam or Origin or GOG or whatever. To make sure those line up takes a little longer, especially at a time of year when companies release a ton of games.

This seems very hard to buy. The fact that PC isn't a "single store" should not be an excuse for late releases, much on the contrary. Sega has their own e-store and Steam lets developers and publishers control the release date of their products, that alone should be enough to distribute the game to consumers in a timely matter.

Even disregarding this, they had months to define the release date of the game in the various platforms and failed to do so, the fact that they still lack a definite release date of the game gives me anything but confidence that they will be able to define a date anytime soon.

Regardless of explanation it comes down to the fact that Sega somehow failed to both secure a release date of the game for the PC platform and also failed to communicate with the usebase (as it's habit of them with their PC products, which is a shame because the products themselves tend to be fairly good).

All of this, of course, assuming the PC version is done and just waiting to be released, something I'm not too sure a communtiy manager would be privvy off.

bwahhhhh

I heard TRiPPY from the NiGHTS fan community had something to do with testing the port so that it handles more like the Saturn original than the PS2 version--does anyone know anything about this?

I haven't had a chance to play it yet to verify, but if that's true, then I'm really impressed with that.

Edward@Sega, one of SEGA's community managers, made a comment about the PC version of SA2 and NiGHTS in the SEGA blogs:

Quote:
Hey everyone — just wanted to reply to some of what I saw in the comments here! I understand the sensitivity over release dates and that if you are waiting for a PC version, then you don’t want to feel short-changed. It has been previously announced that it is coming to PC — that’s not new. If you feel like that was a backhanded way to mention it, please accept my apologies. I meant it as a reminder.

First, ‘months’ is the language from the press release. The choice to add that we’re in luck was mine. I totally see why it was taken as a ‘you’re in luck you have to wait’ comment but it was meant more along the lines of ‘those of us who care about PC games can be happy knowing that it is on the way.’

It’s not meant as an exact figure — it doesn’t mean that it will take X or more months. It means the date is ‘to be announced’. That is literally all it means. I think in general, companies have to be cautious about release dates, especially if they estimate too early. I can’t say more because we don’t have more information to impart.

Second, my enthusiasm there is real. :) I am looking forward to playing it on PC. Given a choice it’s where I play most games. I am speaking 100% as a fan there — sometimes I get caught up in being able to write about games I am a genuine fan of. So when I say ‘you’re in luck’, it means that for multi-platform release PC games haven’t always gotten the best possible version. I’m happy to say that’s changing. This was not a guarantee in the past.

Obviously it would be best if everything released together, but that simply can’t always happen. Here’s why:

The extra time is not because we didn’t develop the PC version along with everything else. XBLA and PSN have a much more streamlined release structure — it’s part of what makes those platforms so appealing. ‘PC’ is not a single store, though — there are a lot of different moving parts and places that may sell a given game, be it Amazon or Steam or Origin or GOG or whatever. To make sure those line up takes a little longer, especially at a time of year when companies release a ton of games.

I hope that helps explain the comment — I know no one likes to wait. I can’t tell anyone they have to like waiting a little longer, but for now that’s what we have to do. These games and the fan communities for them mean a ton to me, so if there’s any questions or lingering doubts, please let me know, I’ll try to answer as best I can.

Ah, it really must be political season where the lies run fast and deep.

Translation for the above: we will release it on the console platforms in a window to maximize their sales and not have the PC canalbalize them. We know you'll end up buying it for the PC... so screw you and wait.

I've waited this long to play HD NiGHTS. I can wait a bit longer to turn it on with all the graphical bells and whistles.

Rlan

You'd be surprised how different storefronts can be an issue. Look at Android for example -- if they want you to support Openfeint on one store, then the Chinese store wants you to support iDreamSky, then the Amazon version supports GameCircles, that takes time.

The Steam, Non-Steam version, and I assume maybe Windows 8? versions all require some extra work to deal with that stuff. Most likely they want to get PC versions out on everything at once.

scitek

Have to wonder if Arthur is assigned or chooses this stuff...

Maybe he'll pop in here and answer that.

You'd be surprised how different storefronts can be an issue. Look at Android for example -- if they want you to support Openfeint on one store, then the Chinese store wants you to support iDreamSky, then the Amazon version supports GameCircles, that takes time.

The Steam, Non-Steam version, and I assume maybe Windows 8? versions all require some extra work to deal with that stuff. Most likely they want to get PC versions out on everything at once.

Well, if Jet Set Radio hadn't just released on all platforms simultaneously a week ago, I might be able to buy that.

Really it's not exactly a leap from the PS2 version.

Yeah it's cleaner but the frame-rate/pop-in...well..yeah not good.
It's a bit difficult to parse what you're saying. Is the PSN version only slightly better? On par? Worse? The pop in doesn't surprise me as it's been present in all versions of the game afaik. I currently have the PS2 version but no modded/JP system to play it on. I'm hoping this at least offers the same experience and a reasonable emulation of the Saturn game. I'm assuming the Saturn version also supports 16:9 like the original, right?

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/10/2/3446338/nights-into-dreams-hd-review-troubled-sleep

looks like this might get a similar review reception to jet set radio hd.
Doesn't sound like he's judging the game based on its merits. The idea that NiGHTS has simply coasted on its initial novelty and doesn't really offer much is baloney. If played as intended (arcade style score attack) it's great, regardless of age imo. The review also overstates the ambiguity of the boss battles. Sounds more like a lack of problem solving ability on his part.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Ah, it really must be political season where the lies run fast and deep.

Translation for the above: we will release it on the console platforms in a window to maximize their sales and not have the PC canalbalize them. We know you'll end up buying it for the PC... so screw you and wait.

I've waited this long to play HD NiGHTS. I can wait a bit longer to turn it on with all the graphical bells and whistles.

That is literally one of the worst excuses I've ever heard, especially since they just somehow figured out the tricky "give out cd keys to multiple retailers" dance a week ago with Jet Set Radio.

I would honestly have preferred the lie of "oh, we started porting later into the development cycle, so it would take a little longer."

scitek

I don't have anything against their community manager. The guy's in the shitty position of having to deal with asshole fans that take video games way too seriously (I had literally just read the news and was reacting earlier when I typed "eat a dick." I'm just tired of games being delayed on PC ALL THE TIME). He has nothing to do with it, and I don't think you could pay me enough to do his job.

It's a bit difficult to parse what you're saying. Is the PSN version only slightly better? On par? Worse? The pop in doesn't surprise me as it's been present in all versions of the game afaik. I currently have the PS2 version but no modded/JP system to play it on. I'm hoping this at least offers the same experience and a reasonable emulation of the Saturn game. I'm assuming the Saturn version also supports 16:9 like the original, right?

Like I said I'm going to have to put serious time into both.
Long day today though and I'm tired as hell.

seat

mariotehplumber / sonic1 review of NiGHTS into dreams...

warning: lots of bad language, the way it always is with him

i think the game is too hard for him

Just watched this and a few clips of this guy's other videos. They're garbage. Why would you link them?

God damn it. The problem with these big reviews is that a good number of people are going to take them as gospel, even if many others won't. For everyone else, there's NeoGAF. And even we're not that perceptive sometimes.

Yes Boss!

Put some time into the new port. It is excellent. Even the Saturn version looks great. Love that the save file is for both versions.

bjork

Given that NiGHTS has been a love it or hate game since it first came out, it would be no surprise if reviews were mixed. Won't stop me from enjoying it greatly... it's actually the game that brought me back to gaming after I'd been out of the loop for a spell back then, but I can see how it's not for everyone.

Oh man, playing NiGHTs again for the first time in soooo many years should be a right trip down memory lane. I just hope it's not all rose tinted glasses...

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/10/2/3446338/nights-into-dreams-hd-review-troubled-sleep

looks like this might get a similar review reception to jet set radio hd.

I agree that the boss battles were never a strong point of NiGHTS, but...if you're going to review this game and not include the term "score attack" at any point, then you've done a bad job. Why bother spending an entire paragraph talking about how there's no story, and there's not a single mention of how the grading system works, the entire crux of the game?

The underlying mechanics are sound — Nights was designed to take advantage of SEGA’s "3D controller," a gamepad with an analog joystick, and movement is tuned for smooth turns and graceful loops. But the game designed around the possibilities of analog control struggles to contrive worthwhile reasons to put that control method to use.

Disregarding the fact that these two thoughts seem at odds with each other - the mechanics are sound but they're not? - this seems to misunderstand the difference between digital and analog control. With digital control, in reference to NiGHTS, you're going right, up, or upper-right - there's no in-between. With analog, there are a whole ranges of angles to more carefully control your trajectory. How is this not a worthwhile reason?

This is Nights most consistent problem — a lack of clarity in goals and design.

If he's referring to how the game explains itself and its mechanics, he's right - the game explains practically nothing. But once you learn how - it's not even that complicated! - the basic goal is to chain combos and gather as many orbs as possible within the time limit. That's pretty clear and consistent, and was even alluded to earlier in the review. But hey, nostalgia goggles.

Ein Bear

Really excited to play this later today.

I thought the Wii game was absolutely fantastic, and everyone assures me it's shit, so I'm thinking the original is going to blow me away.

Ogni-XR21

So this should release on pal PSN today?

I checked a few hours ago but couldn't find anything yet.

I don't mind if the PS2 port is not that true to the original as long as the original is included... heck I bought an additional 3D controller for my Saturn just to make sure I can keep playing this game in the future, so with having this game on PS3 I can finally store away my Saturn.

Quikies83

So this should release on pal PSN today?

I checked a few hours ago but couldn't find anything yet.

I don't mind if the PS2 port is not that true to the original as long as the original is included... heck I bought an additional 3D controller for my Saturn just to make sure I can keep playing this game in the future, so with having this game on PS3 I can finally store away my Saturn.

It's up in NA. I purchased it last night.

edit: Missed where you said pal

Hey: at least Okunari's offering something no other producer would. That has to count for something.

But I care less for Burning Rangers than for NiGHTs. Hmm.

Iceman

So good. As good as I remember it. And harder too.. but that's probably because of the rust and the dual shock 3 loosy goosy analog control. These early levels used to be seared into my muscle memory.. my instincts have kicked in all over the place.

Only have Bs so far in the early levels. I'm quite satisfied that it'll take so much more concentration to get the As.

Love the nightmaren.. except Gillwing. Screw that guy. And have these levels always been littered with so many enemies?

NiGHTS is definitely the better game than Burning Rangers, but there's something to be said for having a port of that on a console that has better 3D capabilities than the Saturn does.

NiGHTS is definitely the better game than Burning Rangers, but there's something to be said for having a port of that on a console that has better 3D capabilities than the Saturn does.
I don't mind having a BR port, and I'll probably get it once I'm done with NiGHTs HD. But it had a lot of graphical quirks that would appear suspect in a higher resolution. This is assuming they can port it at all, or if they'll redo assets and/or engine systems for the port.

Well, maybe they'll redo the camera a bit so that it can be moved to more angles than the four cardinal directions? That'd be nice.

The big issues to deal with are graphical. As much as I hate to say it, the game sacrificed image quality for 3D transparencies and it suffers from slowdown, chaotic geometry, and jaggies. I don't know how much of that can be fixed and whether SEGA will want to fix the stuff.

Top Bottom