• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nike to sue MSCHF over refashioned Air Max 97s with real blood in sole

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56572245

Nike is suing Brooklyn art collective MSCHF over a controversial pair of "Satan Shoes" that contain a drop of real human blood in the soles.

The $1,018 (£740) trainers, which feature an inverted cross, a pentagram and the words "Luke 10:18", were made using modified Nike Air Max 97s.

MSCHF released 666 pairs of the shoes on Monday in collaboration with rapper Lil Nas X and says they sold out in less than a minute.

Nike claims trademark infringement.

The black and red shoes were "dropped" by MSCHF on Monday, coinciding with the launch of Lil Nas X's latest song Montero (Call Me By Your Name), which debuted on YouTube last Friday.

The song sees the rapper, who came out in 2019, celebrating his sexuality while rejecting society's attempts to shame him.

In the heavily stylised video, he slides down a stripper pole from heaven to hell before dancing provocatively with Satan, then snapping his neck and stealing his horns.

_117751676_satan-shoes2.jpg

Fbh

I don't really know enough about copyright law to know if they have a case or not.

But damn. That's a $170 pair of shoes with some gimmicky modifications selling for $1000+.... and selling out in a couple of minutes.
No wonder all these rappers are so rich.

MMaRsu

I don't really know enough about copyright law to know if they have a case or not.

But damn. That's a $170 pair of shoes with some gimmicky modifications selling for $1000+.... and selling out in a couple of minutes.
No wonder all these rappers are so rich.
Hes a famous rapper

He could shit on a carpet and sell it for 10k

Richard Packer

Gold Member
Seriously though whose blood is it? Is it vintage blood from '97? Are they implying that the other Nikes weren't made off the backs of slave blood? What does being gay have to do with selling shoes? I don't understand the youth.

8bitpill

Edgy cheese marketing.

A "rapper" capitalizing on their current "controversy" to make another splash in the media spot lite.

Shoes that will fall apart in a couple of decades.

I just see another terrible shoe design that a younger generation are going to make some "dripping" open box and TikTok vibing videos.

Mistake

I heard about the controversy, but I honestly didn’t know that Nike wasn’t involved. Everyone was talking about it like they were, so maybe they have a defamation case

tkscz

They got some balls to put blood in a shoe and charge $1044,

They got some REAL NUTS to not remove Nike's symbol from them and think this wasn't going to happen.

8bitpill

What the fuck. How long do your shoes last for?
I'm talking about the collectors that buy these type of shoes for display :messenger_tears_of_joy: . But yes, I would love a shoe that would last for decades.

I wouldn't think anyone who buys these are actually going to wear them, especially for your daily stroll.

The collectors that have these type of sneakers, ones with the cushion air support, have shown how their 20 year old sneakers in their collection just start to deteriorate and crumble over time.
https://unfltrdpassion.com/you-absolutely-better-wear-all-the-sneakers-you-love-now/

8bitpill

Seriously though whose blood is it? Is it vintage blood from '97? Are they implying that the other Nikes weren't made off the backs of slave blood? What does being gay have to do with selling shoes? I don't understand the youth.
Trust me, no deep thought went into these besides (Nike, Dark Images, and a splash of blood), you would be giving them way to much credit for the connection between Nike's and slave labor.

DarkestHour

Banned
How is this any different than the ruling stating that video stores could rent their videos out because they paid for the video tape and therefore can do whatever they want with it?

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Hope they are shipping them as potential biohazards, or they might have more than just Nike to worry about.

NinjaBoiX

lil Nas X sucks so fucking much man, wow, his music is absolutely woeful.

He should have a copyright infringement lodged by the god Nas himself for dragging his good name through the focus tested, mass market mud that he peddles.

Nas is too cool for that though, but yeah, I hope Lil Nas X disappears into the pop ephemera because he’s frankly an embarrassment to the music industry. To this day I can’t hear that Old Town Road tune without thinking it was a massive piss take. I mean, what the fuck was that shit?

Edit: him coming out as gay was the most interesting thing he’s ever done. Fair play to him for that at least.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
Who would wear something like that?
Who would think it was an interesting collector's item?

It's excess piled on excess with a dash of edgelord thrown in.

Who would wear something like that?
Who would think it was an interesting collector's item?
Allow me to present this quote from the article:
"I wanted to support a black gay man who is attempting to show a different narrative in a majority Christian country that currently is dealing with a lot of issues with black people. So what better way to do that than to buy shoes that this person has collaborated with?"

Woo-Fu

Banned
Allow me to present this quote from the article:
"I wanted to support a black gay man who is attempting to show a different narrative in a majority Christian country that currently is dealing with a lot of issues with black people. So what better way to do that than to buy shoes that this person has collaborated with?"

That's what we call a rationalization. It's a borderline-braindead one too. Those shoes don't say anything about Christians, nor do they say anything about "black issues". The majority of Christians will see somebody with those shoes and think, "What a moron." They won't think, "OMG, it's the anti-christ, get the pitchforks." The only "black issues" it might address is how people with almost no money like to spend what little they do have on flash instead of saving it towards something that will measurably improve their life. That isn't a black thing, that's a cycle of poverty thing. Democrats would like you to think that every poor person in the US is black but that isn't the case.

What they do show is that people will spend money on anything and if you want your anything to garner more attention(more potential customers, more demand, higher valuation) you spice it up with something you think is edgy.

Last edited:
That's what we call a rationalization. It's a borderline-braindead one too. Those shoes don't say anything about Christians, nor do they say anything about "black issues". The majority of Christians will see somebody with those shoes and think, "What a moron." They won't think, "OMG, it's the anti-christ, get the pitchforks." The only "black issues" it might address is how people with almost no money like to spend what little they do have on flash instead of saving it towards something that will measurably improve their life. That isn't a black thing, that's a cycle of poverty thing.

What they do show is that people will spend money on anything and if you want your anything to garner more attention(more potential customers, more demand, higher valuation) you spice it up with something you think is edgy.
It's just textbook virtue-signaling, I think. When/if he receives the shoes, he'll post them up on social media to show that he's "one of the good ones" for 'supporting' a black artist who is likely already doing quite well.

Soodanim

I think people miss the point on this one. They aren’t making new trainers and pretending they’re Nike, they’re modifying trainers and reselling the customised Nikes.

I don’t know who will win the legal claim here, do Nike need to give permission for you to sell something you bought from them? What if they put “Not affiliated” on the site?

ManaByte

Gold Member
Only Blood? No Semen?

original.gif
Hetfield: [Laughs] How can I put this? I guess when I talked [earlier in the interview] about the resentments of being left out of the bond that they had through their drug use — Lars and Kirk were very into abstract art, pretending they were gay. I think they knew it bugged me. It was a statement around all that. I love art, but not for the sake of shocking others. I think the cover of "Load" was just a piss-take around all that. I just went along with the make-up and all of this crazy, stupid shit that they felt they needed to do.

Top Bottom