• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich!

Eh, it depends. If the controllers and emulation are on point it'll be worth it.

as long as Nintendo don't give us in UK/Europe/Australia the 50hz versions again - if they do, it's as good as worthless. I can also see them adding the ghastly darkening and blur filter that plagues the Wii U NES VC worldwide. Safe to say, I have zero faith in Nintendo with regards to emulation. They have a horrendous track record.

iphys

When I was a kid, my parents got me the NES Action Set which only came with Super Mario Bros and Duck Hunt. They paid $199.99.

NES games on the VC are $4.99 a piece.

This package gives you a device that is, practically, an NES, an NES controller, AC adaptor, HDMI cable and 30 games pre-installed. The games, ALONE, would total $150 US if purchased through the eShop for the VC.

No, this price is not high at all.

And the games would have totalled like $1500 back in the day, even more with inflation. I can't imagine what my 12-year-old self would say at the prospect of 30 NES games on a cute little system that stores them all and with save states and for merely the cost of a single game.

Dr. Worm

Banned
A lot of the games included seem to be because they were represented in some form in the Super Smash Bros. series. That would explain why Pac-Man's here, in addition to Final Fantasy and Mega Man 2 (and specifically MM2, as opposed to the first one).

Probably also applies for Ice Climber and Kid Icarus, though your examples are all popular anyway.

Most of the NES-debuted Smash characters are represented, and those that aren't have good reasons; Marth never had his game released internationally, Snake never had NES Metal Gear on VC in the first place, while R.O.B. and Duck Hunt are peripheral-based.

Yeah, Ice Climber being included was most likely influenced by Smash. Popa and Nana being in Melee/Brawl is probably the primary reason why Nintendo even continues to even reference IC in this day and age.

Eh, it depends. If the controllers and emulation are on point it'll be worth it.

I believe the price is high, its NES which is probably the most emulatedd console in history. So in my view point the price looks pretty steep. Not saying it wont sell though

As far as the emulation being better? would it be different than what is on wii u? That seems doubtful.

if it is a superb emulator with great hd support and you can easily dump roms onto it at some point then it sounds alright, but the all in one solutions seem a lot better.

This is a novelty , collectors item in my mind.

prac·ti·cal·ly
ˈpraktək(ə)lē/
adverb
virtually; almost.
"the risk of default was practically zero"
synonyms: almost, (very) nearly, virtually, just about, all but, more or less, as good as, to all intents and purposes, verging on, bordering on; More

in·cor·rect
ˌinkəˈrekt/Submit
adjective
not in accordance with fact; wrong.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I know a lot of people who want one of these (including myself). I have a feeling they aren't going to have enough supply to keep up with holiday demand.

as long as Nintendo don't give us in UK/Europe/Australia the 50hz versions again - if they do, it's as good as worthless. I can also see them adding the ghastly darkening and blur filter that plagues the Wii U NES VC worldwide. Safe to say, I have zero faith in Nintendo with regards to emulation. They have a horrendous track record.

Yeah, the emulation is make or break for me. If it isn't way better than NES games on 3ds/2ds virtual console then I'm going to pass.

Right now I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and assuming that a dedicated emulator box means that Nintendo is very confident in their emulation all of a sudden.

It's already sold out in non-US amazon stores.

For first shipments, yeah. That's not going to be indicative of sales though. Remember, the Wii U was sold out basically everywhere preorders and day 1 as well.

Not that I think this won't do well, just playing devil's advocate. I actually think this is brilliant and it's going to sell like crazy. My Facebook feed is full of family and non gaming friends who want one.

If they go with 3DS-based tech, we should be in the free and clear. NES emulation is much better on the 3DS.

I REALLY don't think they'd go with PowerPC innards just for something like this.

Pinky

Banned
in·cor·rect
ˌinkəˈrekt/Submit
adjective
not in accordance with fact; wrong.

Nope, I am correct. It's a device that looks like an NES, includes an NES controller, and can emulate NES games. It is, PRACTICALLY, an NES. Ever heard of the NES Virtual Console? It emulates NES hardware and software. The exclusion of a working cartridge slot on the NES Mini does not deem it unpractical. Virtual/Virtually is the same as Practical/Practically. Crazy, huh???

Rich!

If they go with 3DS-based tech, we should be in the free and clear. NES emulation is much better on the 3DS.

I REALLY don't think they'd go with PowerPC innards just for something like this.

yep

I mean, it's aimed at a completely different demographic, and isn't comparable - but I'll be ordering this when it goes on sale later this month/early next:

RetroUSB-AVS-Console.JPG

It's a 100% accurate hardware clone (via fpga, NOT emulation) of the NES hardware, with full support for all peripherals, including the Famicom Disk System, region free and all region cartridge games - with flawless HDMI output. It'll be $185. I already have a load of NES/FC games and an Everdrive so it'll be a fantastic buy for me.

Of course, it's apples and oranges - different target markets. But if the emulation on Nintendo's mini isn't absolutely spot on, I'm not gonna waste £70 or whatever the UK price is on it when I can put that towards the AVS which will offer 100% accurate hardware capability (again, not emulation which puts the AVS above anything else by default).

I'm pretty sure that someone posted a confirmation with Nintendo way back in the thread that they were the 60Hz versions.

Edit: Yup, here it was, with Computerbase.de: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=209956971&postcount=1385

excellent

now lets see if they add a darkness/blur filter. If they do, they've lost a sale from me. If not, I'm sold.

My hope is that this is based on either the Wii or 3DS emulation tech, which are both great in their own right (though NES on Wii is a tad softer than I'd like).

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
excellent

now lets see if they add a darkness/blur filter. If they do, they've lost a sale from me. If not, I'm sold.
The fact that we even have to worry about that makes me shake my head.

I guess the dark filter is presumably about epilepsy-risk? Like how they reduced flash effects in many Virtual Console games.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
All I want is nice crisp unfiltered colorful pixels on my HDTV. No blurring please. No darkening please. Add a CRT shader as an option if you want. Just don't ruin the look.

Cannot wait for the tech savvy hacker groups get a hold of it and see if there's any way to add an SD slot for expansion. I'd ship mine off for modding if they did.

Maybe.

Probably not. The amount it'd cost would probably be enough to buy one of those multi-system things that play actual carts.

Rich!

The fact that we even have to worry about that makes me shake my head.

I guess the dark filter is presumably about epilepsy-risk? Like how they reduced flash effects in many Virtual Console games.

no one knows why it's there, but it's likely due to that.

tumblr_nnv85ae7PA1rpku4no1_1280.png

on the left = images taken directly from a real NES via composite out to a capture card
on the right = Wii U NES VC

There's a horrible blur filter too:

2.jpg

N64 games are the real travesty though, compounded with the absolute worst input lag I've ever encountered in an official release. It's shockingly bad.

zlCfzTT0Zc06MTQLaS

zJexsmbl.jpg

and what's worse is that this is a one-catch all parameter in the emulator config file to enable the darkening/fucking up filter thats turned on for every game. Nintendo are sabotaging their own games and it's fucking baffling. Absolutely everything points to the NES Mini being the same.

and what's worse is that this is a one-catch all parameter in the emulator config file to enable the darkening/fucking up filter thats turned on for every game. Nintendo are sabotaging their own games and it's fucking baffling. Absolutely everything points to the NES Mini being the same.

Not necessarily. Check out Polygon's NES Classic Edition FAQ. On most "we're not commenting" stuff they said, "We aren’t discussing technical specifications." But then they asked this question:
Q: Will it support a video emulation mode like scan lines or crt emulation?

A: We will confirm these details later.

That's far from a denial on being given video options. Perhaps a "brighter/unfiltered" setting for maximum accuracy? Time will tell.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Not necessarily. Check out Polygon's NES Classic Edition FAQ. On most "we're not commenting" stuff they said, "We aren’t discussing technical specifications." But then they asked this question:

That's far from a denial on being given video options. Perhaps a "brighter/unfiltered" setting for maximum accuracy? Time will tell.
Maybe someone in Nintendo got a Framemeister or something and came to their senses. I wish.

Azriell

yep

I mean, it's aimed at a completely different demographic, and isn't comparable - but I'll be ordering this when it goes on sale later this month/early next:

It's a 100% accurate hardware clone (via fpga, NOT emulation) of the NES hardware, with full support for all peripherals, including the Famicom Disk System, region free and all region cartridge games - with flawless HDMI output. It'll be $185. I already have a load of NES/FC games and an Everdrive so it'll be a fantastic buy for me.

$185 is a little steep to me, but this sounds pretty great.

I grew up on NES but I have to admit that I don't really need 100% perfect representation (I'd probably be in on an SNES equivalent, though). I'll likely get the Nintendo solution, but only if they have plans for growing the library beyond 30 games. I really like the idea of not emulating, but I can't justify $180 over $60 if I can buy the games I want on both. Also NES carts aren't dirt cheap around here like they used to be in the late 90s, and I suspect they would cost a lot more in the long run over even the $5 going BC rate.

AntMurda

Mario Bros. and Donkey Kong. Can't wait to play those archaic ports. I think I would play Dr. Mario the most out of any of those games. Maybe revisit Castlevania 2 and Zelda 2 as well.

What's weird is that the NES games featured in NES Remix are all bright and vibrant, as opposed to the dark filter in Wii / Wii U NES VC games.

I personally think NES games on the 3DS VC also look really good, so I'd be fine if this is based on that emulator.

iphys

When they say North American they mean all of it right? not only USA

I know it's at least coming to Canada too, as Nintendo Canada posted it on Facebook, and I saw an article that gave the price as C$79.99 for the system and C$12.99 for the extra controller, although they may have simply been approximating based on the US price.

Pokemaniac

N64 games are the real travesty though, compounded with the absolute worst input lag I've ever encountered in an official release. It's shockingly bad.

I really don't think that's an across the board thing. I just tried comparing Paper Mario between VC and actual hardware and didn't find a significant difference when I recorded simultaneous button presses on each on video. The test was admittedly not the most scientifically rigorous one ever, but if anything, the VC release seemed to be marginally faster (by no more than a frame or so (EDIT: Though, that may have more to do with TV settings than anything else, now that I think about it. The post-processing on my TV can't be turned off as fully for composite as it can for HDMI)).

When will they also do a SNES and N64 Classic Mini. I may just pick up this NES Classic Mini, so many good games on it :)... probably for my parents for Christmas (and I will be able to play the games on it that I loved as well). They loved Bubble Bobble and all of the Super Mario titles.

I'm more looking forward to the commercial than I do the actual product. Get Paul Rudd to do it and have a call back to him and the SNES commercial he did.

Seriously, the commercial can make this thing be a hit for the holiday. So much potential.

I'm more looking forward to the commercial than I do the actual product. Get Paul Rudd to do it and have a call back to him and the SNES commercial he did.

Seriously, the commercial can make this thing be a hit for the holiday. So much potential.

Save Paul Rudd for the SNES one.

Get Fred Savage, Jenny Lewis, Beau Bridges, Tobey Maguire, and Christian Slater for a Wizard reunion.

It'd be funny/neat if they somehow made the commercial just as cheesy as the original 80s NES ads were.

Given the state of their marketing even today, they'll probably do it unintentionally without trying.

no one knows why it's there, but it's likely due to that.

tumblr_nnv85ae7PA1rpku4no1_1280.png

on the left = images taken directly from a real NES via composite out to a capture card
on the right = Wii U NES VC

There's a horrible blur filter too:

2.jpg

zlCfzTT0Zc06MTQLaS

zJexsmbl.jpg

Makes me so sad. This has stopped me from getting a Wii U

yep

Of course, it's apples and oranges - different target markets. But if the emulation on Nintendo's mini isn't absolutely spot on, I'm not gonna waste £70 or whatever the UK price is on it when I can put that towards the AVS which will offer 100% accurate hardware capability (again, not emulation which puts the AVS above anything else by default).

I think that's a great product and I plan to get one as well. In fact- I have a big NES library and I don't even own an actual NES! I've been using clone hardware. My sister found a god NES at a yard sale and I told her I'd buy it off her when she got tired of it but then she sold it on CL, dammit.

But now I don't ever plan to get a real NES if I can get the AVS instead. It does appeal to different demographic though, starting with that price that will turn a lot of people off immediately. For the hardcore who sit at home and lick every pixel beamed from an RGB/HDMI modded console, the AVS is a no brainer. But for the average Joe/Jane Retro who just wants to play NES just like they fuzzily remember it, they won't be able to understand how the AVS has any advantage over the (cheaper) real thing. And they especially won't be able to understand why they should buy it and rebuy games at inflated retro bubble prices when they could just get the NES Mini for $60 flat.

Also, they already said it will have some sort of save point feature for the games and while the AVS buyer won't see that as an advantage, Joe/Jane Retro do.

Luigiv

yep

RetroUSB-AVS-Console.JPG

An FPGA aye? Interesting. Guess it means they can update the hardware if necessary. It'll be curious to see if it ends up any better than the typical NoCs we see in these sort of things.

Fess

I mean, I'm not saying the blur filter is great, but no, that's not at all what an NES image looks like or was meant to look like.
Heh yup add even more blur and interlace flicker/scanlines and we're getting close to what NES looked like.
But NES on emulators looks like that, which is what we're getting here from my understanding, so I still get the complaints if that's where people are coming from.

Anyhow, right now I just want to know if we're getting the US NTSC versions in Europe too or the new awful 60hz converted PAL versions seen on EU WiiU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom