• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

iphys

Now the great debate begins: Do I buy a second NES controller or just use one of the Classic Controllers I have lying about for the second player?

I think only 1/4 of the games even have simultaneous 2-player, but I'll try to get a second controller anyway just for it to look complete and because you can use them with VC on Wii U. Plus, I'm hoping the wires will be longer to reach the console unlike the ones that are normally just meant to tether to a Wiimote.

So...any idea of the hardware this thing is using? Obviously isn't NES hardware...but i don't think they would even need something that cost 5 dollars to run these types of games

It could be the guts of a Wii using a shrunken die and thus less power consumption, which would explain the nunchuk/CC ports on the front. And they would be using the HDMI trappings from Wii U. But of course, no disc drive, no wireless anything, less RAM, etc. to drive the cost down further.

That said, it could just be something else entirely. The 2DS/3DS makes a lot of sense, though I think maintaining a high display resolution might be an issue? Or maybe not, since it only has to fuel one screen instead of two? Or maybe it's a New3DS core for the extra necessary video horsepower, but the price discrepancy seems steep. Who knows. Waiting eagerly for the teardown.

T-Matt

I never owned a nes, only played at neighbors so this is a guaranteed pick up for me. Very cool little thing for the right price.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Anyone here hoping this leads to a N64 Mini?

I think SNES is basically already confirmed with this kind of thing..N64 though..? That might require a bit more investment than Nintendo are willing to spend. They might price it pretty high as well considering those games get into the super complex side and the 'value per dollar' goes up...and then we have to talk about what resolution the games are running at to look good blown up on TV ect. A host of issues not present in the previous eras

Probably have more to be worried about from your TV than from the device itself.

Well, it can be a combination. Even if you plug a Wii U into a CRT via component it lags more than a Wii via component. Emulator code, the hardware it runs on, any processor you run it through, and the display device itself all can make lag.

GeeDuhb

Now the great debate begins: Do I buy a second NES controller or just use one of the Classic Controllers I have lying about for the second player?

At first I didn't think much of it, especially since I already have classic/pro controllers. The more I thought about it though, $10 is not bad at all for a second one and as someone else said, they will (hopefully) have longer cords. I will definitely grab an extra.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I think SNES is basically already confirmed with this kind of thing..N64 though..? That might require a bit more investment than Nintendo are willing to spend. They might price it pretty high as well considering those games get into the super complex side and the 'value per dollar' goes up...and then we have to talk about what resolution the games are running at to look good blown up on TV ect. A host of issues not present in the previous eras
If this NES mini is essentially a Wii in a box, the technical challenge is moot. You'd have 480p N64 no problem.

I also don't think in 2016 the value of N64 games is much higher than NES or SNES titles. If they were willing to throw 30 NES titles on a box, they'll be willing to do some quantity of N64 titles too. Less of them maybe? But maybe that's for the best since since are drastically less N64 games period.

It's kind of weird for everybody on here to be begging for a SNES version when the NES one isn't even out yet. I'll let you in on a little secret:they will make a SNES Classic Mini if the NES version sells well enough.

This argument amuses me. This is a standalone console, with a built-in library of classic games. It doesn't require a Wii U or a PC. It doesn't require any knowledge of emulation software. It's simply plug and play. They will sell a ton of these. I'll be the first in line.

I also find it funny that when a company tries to make money off of their properties it's called a cash grab. Of course it's a cash grab, every move any business makes is a cash grab. They aren't in it for the feels.

The built-in library is barebones and especially misses out on some of the other great NES titles. Also, NES emulation isn't complex so any argument around knowledge doesn't make sense. The cash grab sentiment was in regards to how lazy this seems rather than it actually being a great product.

The built-in library is barebones and especially misses out on some of the other great NES titles. Also, NES emulation isn't complex so any argument around knowledge doesn't make sense. The cash grab sentiment was in regards to how lazy this seems rather than it actually being a great product.

Oh, you've used one? How long are the controller cords? I've been wondering.

MegalonJJ

Banned
I have some questions:

What's the internal hardware?

What (output) resolution are these games running at?

Will the Europe versions be proper 60Hz?

Is there a video showing it going from being turned on to launching a game?

I have some questions:

No one knows. You will probably have to wait until after release when someone at Digital Foundry or something takes a unit apart. Nintendo doesn't want to provide any technical details themselves.

Meesh

I was just musing on this for a bit, not even sure if I posted earlier cuz drunk, ect, but I really can't wait to see what the modding community does with this. Hardware/paint mods, if there's someway to exploit this little unit, ect. Could be cool.

corn_fest

I wonder if they will emulate overscan for games like SMB3 and Kirby's Adventure that draw garbage beyond the safe area.
They haven't in past VC releases, but for something marketed towards more of a mass audience, I imagine they'd not want people to think there's technical issues with the product.

FTF

So what games would people like to see for the inevitable mini SNES? Personally, I'd like to see:
Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Secret of Mana
Chrono Trigger
NBA Jam
Donkey Kong Country
Link to the Past
Earthbound
Super Castlevania

I would buy that console for $100+ easily, even if it only had those games.

Add

FF6
Batman Returns
Street Fighter 2

add

Contra 3
Star Fox
Super Mario RPG
Turtles In Time

My goodness, I can't stop thinking about the SNES version...though I imagine a lot of the third party gems won't be there :/ Will still be amazing regardless.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Man, thinking about it, they should have included amiibo support on it.

With NES games being so small, imagine putting a special amiibo figure/card on top of the NES and voila, you get a new game.

Or better yet, open the flap reveling a slot to put in a amiibo card lol.

This is what I was thinking. It would have spiked back up the amiibo craze again just a bit.

Like say this guy would give you Zelda 1.

1404-udf177-zelda-link2.jpg

Thats why i said "could have been" because it was so close to something that i have been wanting for awhile now. When i saw the headline and saw the photo i just assumed it had a slot and got extremely excited. But once i read further i saw that it was just 30 pre installed games and i was immediately eliminated from the the market of who this is for. Which is a shame. Its not the end of the world, i'm just posting how i felt when i saw this news and what would have been a more convenient box for my lifestyle, and i believe allot of people who follow Nintendo.

Yeah i hear what your saying. Without a doubt allot of us on Gaf are going to buy one because we are of the enthusiast community that follows Nintendo very closely. But who this is really meant for is the people like you mentioned. Probably the same people who have been buying these things at toys r us and walgreens for years now.

oh wow, didn't even know there was an intellivision flashback. My dad is going to LOVE that.

GeeDuhb

Honestly, I don't find it lazy at all. I think the bigger point is, they could have thrown these 30 games on a WiiU disk and people would have bought it for $60 (that, for the record, would have been lazy.) They are instead putting it on a standalone machine that has no entry fee. Absolutely anyone can pick up and play this machine, regardless of their past Nintendo purchases. In that sense, $60 is not a bad price at all. And BRILLIANT thinking by Nintendo, at that.

EctoPrime

I have some questions:

Final Fantasy, Ninja Gaiden and Super C are 100% running at 60hz as they either did not exist (FF), named something else like Shadow Warriors (NG) or Probotector (SC).

big_erk

Once again you miss the point. We are the 1%. Emulation to us ain't nothing but a thing. To the rest of the world it is a great mystery, not to mention the questionable legality of it all. Just because you can easily acquire and play all of these games doesn't mean everyone else can or should.

If you don't like the concept take a pass. Me, I'll bite. I think it's a cool little device, that if it adheres to the quality Nintendo usually requires of their products is a no-brainer.

Pinky

Banned
That price is really high. Must be a nice profit

When I was a kid, my parents got me the NES Action Set which only came with Super Mario Bros and Duck Hunt. They paid $199.99.

NES games on the VC are $4.99 a piece.

This package gives you a device that is, practically, an NES, an NES controller, AC adaptor, HDMI cable and 30 games pre-installed. The games, ALONE, would total $150 US if purchased through the eShop for the VC.

No, this price is not high at all.

When I was a kid, my parents got me the NES Action Set which only came with Super Mario Bros and Duck Hunt. They paid $199.99.

This package gives you a device that is, practically, an NES, an NES controller, AC adaptor, HDMI cable and 30 games pre-installed. The games, ALONE, would total $150 US if purchased through the eShop for the VC.

I think that poster means profit margin, assuming this thing is incredibly cheap to produce.

DeVeAn

I really hope there will be a way to add games to it. Doesn't seem like it will offer an option. Getting the controller for sure.

It's not practically a NES. It doesn't play NES cartridges.

You can't compare this device to a system your parents bought you ~20 years ago.

Pinky

Banned
I think that poster means profit margin, assuming this thing is incredibly cheap to produce.

Not sure what kind of profit Nintendo will make from this, but the value is definitely there when you consider what you're getting.

It's not practically a NES. It doesn't play NES cartridges.

You can't compare this device to a system your parents bought you ~20 years ago.

prac·ti·cal·ly
ˈpraktək(ə)lē/
adverb
virtually; almost.
"the risk of default was practically zero"
synonyms: almost, (very) nearly, virtually, just about, all but, more or less, as good as, to all intents and purposes, verging on, bordering on; More

That's a damn good list of games.

Pac-Man confuses me, it's an ok port but I'm not sure worth including, galaga too?

A lot of the games included seem to be because they were represented in some form in the Super Smash Bros. series. That would explain why Pac-Man's here, in addition to Final Fantasy and Mega Man 2 (and specifically MM2, as opposed to the first one).

Nairume

Banned
A lot of the games included seem to be because they were represented in some form in the Super Smash Bros. series. That would explain why Pac-Man's here, in addition to Final Fantasy and Mega Man 2 (and specifically MM2, as opposed to the first one).
Also because these are some of the most iconic/well known games for the system.

With the caveat behind that Double Dragon 1 is probably more iconic/known than DD2, but the collection includes 2 for multiplayer's sake. Also no Dragon Quest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom