• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know why but I came to the realization that this normally would have been something that Nintendo would have revealed in a Nintendo Direct, we haven't had one in a while :(
Yeah. Speaking of which, I recall Kimishima stating late last year that Directs would go under a new format starting this year. I assume that's going to be whenever the NX reveal is.

Anyway, this does look cool. SNES and N64 minis on the way, hopefully.

Tarin02543

I wonder what the technical specifications are.

Will it be emulation or will it be customized NES games that are optimized for new hardware (think 16:9 60fps)? Like how the mario games in Super Mario Maker are redesigned from the ground up?

I feel like i am the audience for a move like this from Nintendo, but with the way it is being handled has me little interested when i can play most of those games in HD on the Virtual Console, or just play my cartridges in blurry 240i. This really could have been so cool if it just had a slot, or if they had just gone the extra mile and made a full on official 3 in 1 NES/SNES/64 box. That would have been dope.

The fact that you own a Nintendo device that gives you access to the Virtual Console and a working, original NES kind of means you aren't the primary audience Nintendo is aiming for with this device.

This thing really was not created for you. Sure, Nintendo is well aware that certain enthusiasts (such as myself) will grab one of these, but we aren't the type of people Nintendo needs to convert and we aren't the reason this product was greenlit.

jacksrb

Wanted to chime in and say that this is awesome! If I was given one magic token to add a game I would have loved to see Baseball Stars or something like RBI Baseball. Related to that, having Tecmo bowl on here is one of the most pleasant surprises.

Good ol' Nintendo...announce something amazing, doesn't quite meet expectations overall...but we gaming crowd in general will lap it up anyway (see: Amiibo, Pokemon Go).

Would be a fantastic present for xmas. Here's hoping they have a decent supply. but the fact that it's sold out on Amazon EU/UK doesn't fill me with confidence :(

AgeEighty

I think some of you have to realize this isn't a release for people interested in buying game carts, connecting to wifi, downloading VC games, etc.

This literally is for the person who grew up with a NES...probably forgot about games all together..or at least hasn't owned a system since NES or SNES. This is a simple all inclusive package for the mass market to enjoy their childhood NES memories.

It's like the best holiday gift. Everything you need is in that box. It has almost all the games anyone average joe would ever want in a NES (aside from California Games!!!).

Simple. No set up. Your mom and dad can use it and have a nostalgic blast.

Exactly. The intended audience for this device is not going to go through an internet configuration and they're especially not about to go fucking around with emulation and Raspberry Pi.

jmizzal

Good ol' Nintendo...announce something amazing, doesn't quite meet expectations overall...but we gaming crowd in general will lap it up anyway (see: Amiibo, Pokemon Go).

Would be a fantastic present for xmas. Here's hoping they have a decent supply. but the fact that it's sold out on Amazon EU/UK doesn't fill me with confidence :(

It doesnt come out until the fall, so they will have an idea of the demand and be able to get more produced

Calamari41

41 > 38
Exactly. The intended audience for this device is not going to go through an internet configuration and they're especially not about to go fucking around with emulation and Raspberry Pi.

This thing contains more games than the target audience would ever dream of buying on their own. The subset of that group who gets really amped up about NES games after playing with this is ripe for Nintendo to direct to the 3DS/Wii U/NX Virtual Console ecosystem, but its not worth it for Nintendo to include all of this storefront and WiFi stuff in this box for that subset. 90% of the people who get one of these would probably have been happy with half the games on this list.

As someone who grew up in the 80s, I've been looking for ways to introduce my 2-year-old to games. I dont want a Wii/WiiU, and playing VC games on the 3DS just isn't the same.

This product PERFECTLY addresses my needs. I am so pumped for this.

AgeEighty

This thing contains more games than the target audience would ever dream of buying on their own. The subset of that group who gets really amped up about NES games after playing with this is ripe for Nintendo to direct to the 3DS/Wii U/NX Virtual Console ecosystem, but its not worth it for Nintendo to include all of this storefront and WiFi stuff in this box for that subset. 90% of the people who get one of these would probably have been happy with half the games on this list.

I'm sure they played around with various price points and game pack-ins and decided a 30-for-60 mix was their best target for demand and profit.

Eh, I'm someone who just bought an oculus rift and own most every game console, yet I'm perfectly happy to buy one. It's hdmi, it's Nintendo, it's a great package. What's not to like?

AgeEighty

Eh, I'm someone who just bought an oculus rift and own most every game console, yet I'm perfectly happy to buy one. It's hdmi, it's Nintendo, it's a great package. What's not to like?

Like I said, it'll have a ton of appeal for us, too. But if they'd cluttered the thing up with extra features, they'd gain a little support from us but lose a ton from casuals.

The fact that you own a Nintendo device that gives you access to the Virtual Console and a working, original NES kind of means you aren't the primary audience Nintendo is aiming for with this device.

This thing really was not created for you. Sure, Nintendo is well aware that certain enthusiasts (such as myself) will grab one of these, but we aren't the type of people Nintendo needs to convert and we aren't the reason this product was greenlit.

Thats why i said "could have been" because it was so close to something that i have been wanting for awhile now. When i saw the headline and saw the photo i just assumed it had a slot and got extremely excited. But once i read further i saw that it was just 30 pre installed games and i was immediately eliminated from the the market of who this is for. Which is a shame. Its not the end of the world, i'm just posting how i felt when i saw this news and what would have been a more convenient box for my lifestyle, and i believe allot of people who follow Nintendo.

I get what you're saying and I would've loved to have had the option to add additional titles via wifi and play original NES cartridges. However, as some have already pointed out, Nintendo's aim with this device is to offer fans and consumers who grew up playing the NES with a plug-and-play device that is super easy to set up and jump into right away. Now, if the Mini proves to be a huge success and Nintendo gets an overwhelming surge of feedback requesting these features, we could possibly see future iterations of the Mini with these features included.

Yeah i hear what your saying. Without a doubt allot of us on Gaf are going to buy one because we are of the enthusiast community that follows Nintendo very closely. But who this is really meant for is the people like you mentioned. Probably the same people who have been buying these things at toys r us and walgreens for years now.
atariflashback6colointellvisionsega

amnesiac

I suppose the only thing that would stop me from buying this (and potential future mini consoles) would be if the games have the stupid dark filter and input lag that allegedly occur on the Wii U VC.

kunonabi

It's pretty useless if own a Wii and have been supporting the virtual console all this time. Don't got me wrong this is a smart move and serves a particular audience very well but it's pretty useless to some of us outside of the controller. It's similar to My Nintendo in that it doesn't really serve the people that have actually been buying their products for the last few years. That said, it sounds like plenty of hardcore and lapsed Nintendo fans will buy it anyway so it's really just a few of us that seem to likely to skip it. This is probably smartest thing the Western branches have done in a long time.

Nazo

I'm really looking forward to this! My family is going to get a lot of mileage out of this.

I really hope they do one for SNES and maybe even the N64!

I know this is very unlikely, but what if there were additional secret NES games you could unlock if you beat one of the NES games in the collection? That would be so cool!

It's pretty useless if own a Wii and have been supporting the virtual console all this time. Don't got me wrong this is a smart move and serves a particular audience very well but it's pretty useless to some of us outside of the controller.

The market is bigger than the pool of enthusiasts, yes.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Right? I feel like they do this every time there's a new Nintendo product.

Not that I'm defending amazon, but no NA stores have put up pre-orders yet as far as I can tell :\

GeeDuhb

Right? I feel like they do this every time there's a new Nintendo product.

C'mon, Amazon! Put the NA preorder up!

I know I keep repeating the same thing in this thread, but everyone who is F5-ing and expecting this to go up at any time, you are likely fooling yourself. I can almost guarantee they are going to do what they have been doing lately with Amiibo and PSVR. They will (eventually) post a date and time when pre-orders will start so that everyone has a fair shot. I think gone are the days where they just randomly throw up items that are going to be in high demand, and I actually like it that way.

Eradicate

Not that I'm defending amazon, but no NA stores have put up pre-orders yet as far as I can tell :\

Geez, I've looked around at distributor/vendor websites meant to ship to stores and I haven't seen the thing yet! (Well, those rough websites that automatically pull item/vendor numbers and descriptions electronically regularly to be the intermediary and make money off the cut, but those things actually update very regularly and sometimes you see games that haven't been announced pop up that way!)

There's some really random store out there right now that's accepting pre-orders and no one has found it yet! Like, Vitacost or something.

Hobbun

It's a novelty item, for me. *shrug*

If they just straight up re-release a networked NES/SNES where you buy the games a la eShop?

RIP Scorpio.

I would have been fine not being able network my current NES VC titles into the ‘classic mini-NES system’. But I had hoped we would be able to expand our library beyond the 30 games. I would have played them via the ‘classic system’ instead of my VC just for the nostalgic factor.

But if I can’t expand my library, then I may as well save the $60 and just play my existing VC library, as I have most of the games, anyways.

Although I will say I think being able to purchase the NES controller is pretty nice, and will pick up at least one for playing my NES VC games.

Man, thinking about it, they should have included amiibo support on it.

With NES games being so small, imagine putting a special amiibo figure/card on top of the NES and voila, you get a new game.

Or better yet, open the flap reveling a slot to put in a amiibo card lol.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Now the great debate begins: Do I buy a second NES controller or just use one of the Classic Controllers I have lying about for the second player?

I wonder if they end up doing a game boy classic, something like the micro, loaded with games.

Are any of those other classic consoles worth picking up? The atari one?

Raitaro

If the NES Mini is successful, I could easily see them doing one for SNES. I'd be there Day 1!

Me too!

And sorry if this has been answered but can we safely assume that the EU version will run the games in 60hz and full screen? They surely wouldn't traumatize us with shitty versions again, right (like on VC for the most part)?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
So...any idea of the hardware this thing is using? Obviously isn't NES hardware...but i don't think they would even need something that cost 5 dollars to run these types of games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom