• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's what the NES Classic Edition looks like in comparison to the original, this is from the SDCC

Cn55xCeVMAEVDF7.jpg:large

oh my god I love it so much

I hope we get some hands-on impressions. PLEASE dark filter, be gone!

Jeremy Parish seems pretty locked into the idea that this is a Wii and there may be some kind of wireless support, but I have yet to see any evidence there. Nintendo was very firm with IGN that there's no wireless, no store, no expansion. Which means if it's a big success expect NES Classic 2 in a seperate box in November of 2017, and that it's verrrry likely to just be an emubox. I guess 3DS internals are possible but given how Nintendo sources parts based on the minspec they need I wouldn't be surprised if it's a new board with relatively old chips. ARM stuff good enough to do the emulation and a simple menu and that's it. (I guess we won't know either way until we see it working on an unboxing or demo)

Ah, guess I missread that, this new controller can plug into a wii mote to be used on a Wii or Wii-U. Dang.

So are we suppose to sit on the floor 5 feet away from our 60" tvs now or what?

Depends on how long the cable is for the included NES controller (AFAIK that hasn't been revealed, and the boxart is purposefully vague) If you use non NES controllers then yeah, expect to have to sit pretty close, enough so that it might be better suited plugged into a PC monitor.

Pinky

Banned
I suspect most people didn't have 30 games on their NES back when it was current. It makes sense not to burden people with the option of adding more games.

I want to say I had around 35-40 games total for the NES and I felt my collection was beyond abundant and varied, so I'm perfectly happy with the 30-count for the Mini. That and the selection of titles is very good as well.

Here's what the NES Classic Edition looks like in comparison to the original, this is from the SDCC

Cn55xCeVMAEVDF7.jpg:large

Love it!

I'm glad the pre-orders aren't up yet. I don't have the money do buy a pair of them yet and I'm already worried that if you don't get in the first run, getting one by xmas will be a huge chore

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I would hope they are aware enough to make the cord ample length due to the small size of the device, and how easily it would be pulled off something.

If they were planning on doing an NES Classic 2 I think they would have held back some of their big guns. The fact that this includes all 3 Marios, both Zeldas and Metroid makes it feel pretty complete and comprehensive on their end.

bounchfx

please tell me the controller is USB based where it plugs into the device? I would love to use that on my PC as well

edit: ok I just read back a few pages. might need an adapter. that's okay.

Hopefully there will be a way to add more games via 'NES Mini Game Pack 2' where you'll be able to add another 30 games for something like £20

Unlikely. According to the US Gamer article, there are no card slots and no internet connectivity. It's a closed box for the Urban Outfitters crowd. (Or "idiot proof" as Chris Kohler called it.)

Pilgrimzero

The commercial made me flashback to my childhood.

Damn good times. Wake up and watch cartoons like He-Man then go play some Super Mario Bros.

The "dark filter" is Nintendo's attempt at curbing any epilepsy issues. Expect it in the final product.

Although this may very well be true, you're speculating. This has never been confirmed by the company.

The dark filter wasn't in NES Remix, so it's not guaranteed to be there in this proudct.

Justinh

Cord is really short, that's unfortunate.

Yeah, that's like... goes on your coffee table short.

Still doesn't make me not want one though.
Source?

Why would they apply such a function to their retro product, but not to all of their products, across the board?

Maybe because newer games take epilepsy into consideration when developing them? I'm just guessing, I don't know anything.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Source?

Why would they apply such a function to their retro product, but not to all of their products, across the board?

Yeah, I think people are reaching without a source on this.

They do not even have it in other emulated generations... and game makers put this disclaimer in manuals and splash screens.

GeeDuhb

Amazon and GS don't charge you until they ship the order.

It still utterly shocks me that after so many years of this being the case, people STILL don't realize this (I am mainly speaking to Amazon here.) Free to preorder is fucking awesome. That's why I preorder everything that I might just possibly want and set a reminder to cancel just in case.

Hobbun

Cord is really short, that's unfortunate.

Agreed, way too short.

It's almost as if the controller was only really designed to be used with the Wii remote through the VC.

Fortunately, I've already decided I am not going to get the classic, as this is going to be once and done thing, no more games.

But for those who get it, maybe there will be an extension cord released at some point. If not from Nintendo, but a 3rd party.

Ultima_5

Well, that's decided it for me. Not getting it now. That cord is probably a third of what I'd need in length.

Shame. Such a small thing overlooked.

You need 21 ft of cable?

Also I'm sure there will be 3rd party extensions in the near future

Edit, cable looks to be about 3. Thought I saw 7 ft posted. My bad

Fingers crossed for an SNES mini

I will buy this although I really just want to play 3 or 4 of those games but I really want to help showing Nintendo that there is a demand for this kind of product and hopefully this will lead us to a SNES mini which I'm really interested in.

^^^ NES is much larger than Famicom to appeal to Americans who thought small consoles like Famicom and PC Engine had to be weak in the power department. See also TG-16. Giant cartridges and toaster design were just an excuse to waste space and material.

Unlikely. According to the US Gamer article, there are no card slots and no internet connectivity. It's a closed box for the Urban Outfitters crowd. (Or "idiot proof" as Chris Kohler called it.)

More importantly, profit proof and hack proof. If the game roms are on masked ROM, and there's no networking, there's no point in trying to hack this thing.

The "dark filter" is Nintendo's attempt at curbing any epilepsy issues. Expect it in the final product.

Except they haven't been consistent in how they implement it on Wii U and 3DS. Some of their emulators have it and some don't.

Jeremy Parish seems pretty locked into the idea that this is a Wii and there may be some kind of wireless support, but I have yet to see any evidence there.

Stripped down 2DS hardware makes way more sense than Wii, it's got a single ARM9 and is pretty much the minimum spec to do this well. Also the emulator is already written, just need to enhance for multiple save states.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom