• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

spectator

Not getting it now. That cord is probably a third of what I'd need in length.

Before you go changing your plans, do be aware that it's entirely common for cords to be shorter than production lengths on pre-release display samples and prototypes of CE products. I wouldn't make any assumptions based on this presentation.

Pinky

Banned
The controller cord is too damn short. C'mon, Nintendo...

Before you go changing your plans, do be aware that it's entirely common for cords to be shorter than production lengths on pre-release display samples and prototypes of CE products. I wouldn't make any assumptions based on this presentation.

Okay, cool. I'll put my disappointment on hold for the moment. :)

Huh. Well I guess Ill keep an eye out though. I just hope the cord length is stated in enough time for me to preorder if I want it. There's no chance of me getting it if I don't preorder.

spectator

The controller cord is too damn short. C'mon, Nintendo...

It's a display model on a dais at a show. A long cord would be unsightly in this context, from a marketing perspective. This may have zero to do with the cord length on the actual consumer product.

That cord length really is a deal breaker. I don't want to sit cross-legged on the floor, 2 feet away from my 50" TV. How on earth could someone not have thought that this was a terrible idea?

spectator

Huh. Well I guess Ill keep an eye out though. I just hope the cord length is stated in enough time for me to preorder if I want it. There's no chance of me getting it if I don't preorder.

Someone posted a few pages back that Amazon Germany's product page for the add-on controller indicates a 7.5 foot cord. Who knows where that info is coming from, though.

Pinky

Banned
It's a display model on a dais at a show. A long cord would be unsightly in this context, from a marketing perspective. This may have zero to do with the cord length on the actual consumer product.

Yeah, I saw your post right after I posted and made an edit.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm happy the controller length isn't too long.

When I'm using it plugged into a Wiimote, I don't want a giant snake of cable sitting next to me.

I don't believe that.

Rather I think this is the typical length of a Wii classic controller (which is what this is in disguise)

NeOak

This needs to be quoted every page from now on.

spectator

I'm more concerned about the AC power cord- it doesn't seem to exist at all!

Come on, Nintendo! Without electricity, this product is just not good enough and I'm cancelling my pre-order.

BocoDragon

If the controller length is too short: get a longer HDMI cable.

This actual NES mini unit is the size of a USB hub. It can be positioned close to the player if need be.

Peterc

Here's what the NES Classic Edition looks like in comparison to the original, this is from the SDCC

Cn55xCeVMAEVDF7.jpg:large

Looks like small differents in the plastic on the top of the controller and on the input. But damn they did a good job to make it look simular

From a marketing perspective, surely it's better to show an accurate representation of the cord's length?

iphys

That Germany listing said the cord is 2.13 m, which would be 7 feet. My original controllers are 7.5 feet. Plus, didn't they already advertise it as a original-size controller, so they can't have halved the length on the cord, right? Maybe the current controllers just have the length of wire from Classic Controllers till they actually mass produce these things.

spectator

From a marketing perspective, surely it's better to show an accurate representation of the cord's length?

Well, the traditional marketing position is that it's better to have no more cord on display than necessary to suggest where the accessory plugs in so that the product can be photographed from more and better angles without a bunch of excess cord getting in the way of the views.

BocoDragon

Most plug and plays are these things you expect to have sitting on the floor in between player 1 and 2.

Same goes for the Japanese Famicom and Super Famicom. Really short cords. They're more like toys you pull out onto the floor when you use them (like a board game) rather than a permanent fixture of a home theatre on the other side of the room. They were only lengthened when they were brought to western markets.

Plus there is the fact that regular Wii classic controllers have relatively short cords.

I would not be surprised if everything at Nintendo pointed to short cords being reasonable.

spectator

Same goes for the Japanese Famicom and Super Famicom. Really short cords. They're more like toys you pull out onto the floor when you use them (like a board game) rather than a permanent fixture of a home theatre on the other side of the room. They were only lengthened when they were brought to western markets.

Well, the average western room is larger in area than the average Japanese room, as well.

Volotaire

I'm interested in how similar the NES controller feels to the original, and replicates it. It could be super useful for my PC connected via Wiimote and Bluetooth or the Mayflash classic controller hub for PC.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Man, I think it's a real missed opportunity to not be able to add games via SD card and the cards be accessed via the NES cartridge slot.

It is. They're likely worried about piracy.

Justinh

Most plug and plays are these things you expect to have sitting on the floor in between player 1 and 2.
That's a good point. Plug and plays are usually "plug in the front of your tv briefly" sorta things, and I guess that would make sense with a shorter controller cable.

Seems like that's the way I'm going to use it anyways. The only extension cord for this kinda thing I see on Amazon only has one review, and it's one star.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Well they said it has a USB in on IGN's vid, so fingers crossed we can emulate stuff through this.

Interesting. Didn't know that.

Id say it's more they're worried about spending one red cent on an SD slot.

This thing is probably dirt cheap and pure profit.

They could have made way more profit by allowing purchase of cards tor add games to the system.

They could have made way more profit by allowing purchase of cards tor add games to the system.

Appears USB in is the DC in, powered via USB then. But if you put it on a splitter, idk- be cool to see what people do with this thing

BocoDragon

Appears USB in is the DC in, powered via USB then. But if you put it on a splitter, idk- be cool to see what people do with this thing
Maybe... Maybe... Nintendo wired the USB data connection up internally to allow for technical support/firmware upgrading.

But it's entirely possibly the USB only supplies power and isn't connected to internal memory.

Maybe... Maybe... Nintendo wired the USB data connection up internally to allow for technical support/firmware upgrading.

But it's entirely possibly the USB only supplies power and isn't connected to internal memory.

It's not just "possible", it's essentially "unconfirmed" fact.

They've stated on other Amazon pages (non US) that there is NO way to access the storage or add games to this device.

They have the Virtual Console for that. Not sure average consumers will care to buy more games on this thing beyond the 30 installed. It's a novelty item, not an ecosystem.

Does no one remember the smash gamecube controller scare? Everyone thought the cable was super short in pictures and such, turned out the production version had a cable just as long as the original.

How many 2 player games come with the mini NES.

Looking at the list:

Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 1
Super Mario Bros. 3
Dr. Mario
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr.
Balloon Fight
Ice Climber
Bubble Bobble
Double Dragon II
Galaga
Gradius
Super C
Tecmo Bowl

14 of the 30 games, unless I am missing one?

I wish the system had NES Ice Hockey. That was always one of my favorite 2 player sports games on the system.

BocoDragon

It's not just "possible", it's essentially "unconfirmed" fact.

They've stated on other Amazon pages (non US) that there is NO way to access the storage or add games to this device.
You're missing the point of what I said. It may be physically connected to internal memory only for Nintendo technical support purposes, and hackers might have access to it that way. But even then, I would not count on anything like that. It might be power only USB.

You're missing the point of what I said. It may be physically connected to internal memory only for Nintendo technical support purposes, and hackers might have access to it that way. But even then, I would not count on anything like that.

I didn't respond 100% right, but I get that. I really don't think that's the case. I think it's just power.

Side thought. Will we have to do save states to save high scores on some games? My wife and I will probably get pretty heated on Pac Man and it'd be nice if scores were just saved. I'm sure they're not though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom