• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NolbertoS

I see the SKU is up on BB now, buy says "Coming Soon" and priced $59.99. If Amazon can't get it then BB gets my business. Maybe Nintendo is gauging demand in North America that they're taking their time to release the product for pre-order, I sense this will be high sales on NPD.

Danj

The UK version comes with a USB cable instead of an AC adapter. Does anyone know what sort of AC adapter it needs, as Nintendo don't appear to sell one separately? Like, will a standard phone charger do, or does it need to be something more powerful?

SkyOdin

If this thing actually sells well, do you guys actually think that Nintendo will bring out a Mini SNES and/or Mini N64?

If it does sell well, then I see no reason why they wouldn't release an SNES Classic Edition at some point in the next couple of years. This sort of product does the secondary job of promoting a lot of Nintendo's brands and reinforcing nostalgia for the company, both of which can help sell other Nintendo products down the line.

The UK version comes with a USB cable instead of an AC adapter. Does anyone know what sort of AC adapter it needs, as Nintendo don't appear to sell one separately? Like, will a standard phone charger do, or does it need to be something more powerful?
It's probably a 2ds board so phone charger should be enough.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
If this thing actually sells well, do you guys actually think that Nintendo will bring out a Mini SNES and/or Mini N64?

Well if you look at the box and on the site, you'll see that the NES is most likely the first in the new 'Classics' line. They even made a logo for it. Assuming this sells well, SNES (and beyond?) seems like a lock.

woopWOOP

Finally managed to preorder one at my local gamestore

Turns out I am 41th in line, damn! And I thought I was being rather quick about it too since I didn't see it on their site yet, lol.
Hopefully Nintendo's producing plenty of these things. I can wait for later shipments, but I don't want to pay way more than necessary from scalpers and whatnot.

Finally managed to preorder one at my local gamestore

Turns out I am 41th in line, damn! And I thought I was being rather quick about it too since I didn't see it on their site yet, lol.
Hopefully Nintendo's producing plenty of these things. I can wait for later shipments, but I don't want to pay way more than necessary from scalpers and whatnot.

it was already sould out on the first place i tried to preorder it. (Sweden btw)

man, that's my dream.

The only way I see them not doing this is if it simply doesn't fit into their marketing/business strategy in a NX world. Fingers crossed though. I miss my SNES so much.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member

Yes.
After they released Mini NES Ver 2 and 3 with different games, and Mini NES Gold with all previously released games + 5 bonus games..

Link83

Apologies if mentioned before but I just noticed that in the US this is called the NES Classic Edition, but in Europe its the Nintendo Classic Mini

I know game name changes between regions are common, but this just seems a little silly.

Why couldn't they just call it the NES Classic Mini?

Apologies if mentioned before but I just noticed that in the US this is called the NES Classic Edition, but in Europe its the Nintendo Classic Mini

I know game name changes between regions are common, but this just seems a little silly.

No idea... but NES is obviously the more correct name.

HeySeuss

Thanks!

Got mine preordered. These things are going to be impossible to find unless they just make an insane amount of them. Got my haircut the other day and my hairdresser was taking to me about getting one and she was clearly no gamer. The rest of them overheard her talking about it and all chimed in on how they want one too so they can be a kid again and how much easier games were when they were just 2 buttons.

This gon be hyuuuge

Well, I'll preorder at TRU and then if Amazon pops up before my Prime expires then I'll switch.

Thanks for the heads up!

EDIT: looks like it was taken down. Did anyone's preorder go through?

Rodin

NES Classic Edition vs. Wii U Virtual Console

Looks like Nintendo isn't blurring/darkening/squashing the picture this time! :p

(Source: Introducing the Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition)
Great, maybe now gaf can stop worrying about nothing.

I think they already are on the pipeline (SNES at least is a given imho).

wrowa

It's actually called "Nintendo Classic Mini: Nintendo Entertainment System" in Europe. In this case, "Nintendo Classic Mini" seems to be the name of the line more than anything (which gives hope that a Nintendo Classic Mini: Super Nintendo is taken into consideration, but it might also just mean that they are keeping the option open).

HeySeuss

I think they already are on the pipeline (SNES at least is a given imho).

I'm not so sure. This may be a one off since they have literally nothing for the holidays this year. The NX hits next year and there's no way they will take away from the focus of that next holiday, especially for the first holiday season.

Plus the SNES doesn't have quite the same nostalgic value to non gamers which is what Nintendo is targeting here. We might see one, but it won't be for quite awhile.

Rodin

I'm not so sure. This may be a one off since they have literally nothing for the holidays this year. The NX hits next year and there's no way they will take away from the focus of that next holiday, especially for the first holiday season.

Plus the SNES doesn't have quite the same nostalgic value to non gamers which is what Nintendo is targeting here. We might see one, but it won't be for quite awhile.

I actually think the SNES has more nostalgic value than the NES.

Anyway, "Nintendo Classic Mini" sounds like the name of a collection, and the NES Mini is the first console out. We'll see.

Flavius

As a kinda' old dude, I'd disagree with you there. Perhaps in terms of the names of the console, but catalog-wise? I'd say it has just as much general appeal, perhaps even more.

And the press and preorders almost certainly guarantee a follow-up. It might not be around the proverbial corner, but almost guaranteed in the next couple of years.

HeySeuss

I actually think the SNES has more nostalgic value than the NES.

Anyway, "Nintendo Classic Mini" sounds like the name of a collection, and the NES Mini is the first console out. We'll see.

I hope you're right, but I think the SNES is more nostalgic to gamers than casual fans. I would love an SNES version, but I don't see it for quite awhile unless they plan on releasing it in January. The NX will be their focus for the next few years and I don't see them doing anything to distract from that focus.

Flavius

Makes me wonder if TRU wasn't supposed to put up an active pre-order link.

I doubt it was an error. They probably kept the initial preorder numbers relatively low and since everyone and their mom in the U.S. wants to get their hands on one, makes sense they'd disappear quickly...even with most of the west coast folks still sleeping.

HeySeuss

As a kinda' old dude, I'd disagree with you there. Perhaps in terms of the names of the console, but catalog-wise? I'd say it has just as much general appeal, perhaps even more.

And the press and preorders almost certainly guarantee a follow-up. It might not be around the proverbial corner, but almost guaranteed in the next couple of years.

I'm 40 so I'm kinda old too. But I think you're looking at it through the gamer's lens. Yes the SNES probably holds a lot of nostalgic value to gamers, maybe even moreso. But that's not who Nintendo is targeting with this, they're targeting non-gamers, which don't hold the SNES in the same regard as the NES.

We will buy it no matter what, but we're not the intended audience.

Flavius

I'm 40 so I'm kinda old too. But I think you're looking at it through the gamer's lens. Yes the SNES probably holds a lot of nostalgic value to gamers, maybe even moreso. But that's not who Nintendo is targeting with this, they're targeting non-gamers, which don't hold the SNES in the same regard as the NES.

We will buy it no matter what, but we're not the intended audience.

41 here, so yeah, we're not that far off from each other. It's possible you're right, but there's a generational aspect to it as well. You and I probably had an NES, then moved to the SNES, and so on. But for people like my younger sister who started on the SNES, I'm almost certain the nostalgia bells ring just as clearly. The marketing would be a bit different, as i think the catalog would be more front and center, but I don't think demand would be a concern at all.

LiK

FYI, the standalone controller on TRU is 3rd party. Not even the same box as the official one. Costs the same tho.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

Maybe. Depends on whether the NES Classic Mini only exists because Nintendo does not have much else to offer this holiday season.

LiK

Sorry, I'll blame my lack of caffeine. Didn't realize the mobile site had the extra screen before you get the "Oops!" notification. You're right.

cool cool, just keeping track of stock to help out people i know who missed it.

Maybe. Depends on whether the NES Classic Mini only exists because Nintendo does not have much else to offer this holiday season.

hoping they seriously consider the SNES Mini next

I see the SKU is up on BB now, buy says "Coming Soon" and priced $59.99. If Amazon can't get it then BB gets my business. Maybe Nintendo is gauging demand in North America that they're taking their time to release the product for pre-order, I sense this will be high sales on NPD.

Ah, great. I just put in the notification request on BB. I'm going to be buying two of these, so I'll just get it at BB to help with tier qualification and get the rewards points. Might as well since it'll be the same price anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom