• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - June 2014

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'm getting these. Is that €9.99 for each, or for both?

do we know this?
btw. GAF help me please:

I'm planning to download ACIV cnsidering its new price. is it good? I'm planning to play it ASAP when I'll be alone at home (without wife nor kid, at the seaside)
but I'm also looking for an eshop game. considering that I'm looking for a

offtv game
good for short play session, but still story-driven
not too hard in terms of difficulty

would be better to download:

child of light
unepic
how to survive
pullblox

?

maxcriden

Aostia, if you're okay with a very light story, Pushmo aka Pullblox will give you plenty of bang for your buck, and meets all of your other criteria really well. (Kung Fu Rabbit is awesome too, but has pretty much no story.)

L~A

do we know this?
btw. GAF help me please:

I'm planning to download ACIV cnsidering its new price. is it good? I'm planning to play it ASAP when I'll be alone at home (without wife nor kid, at the seaside)
but I'm also looking for an eshop game. considering that I'm looking for a

offtv game
good for short play session, but still story-driven
not too hard in terms of difficulty

would be better to download:

child of light
unepic
how to survive
pullblox

?

It's 9.99€ for both, apparently. And I'd say Pullblox, because it's the only game you could really play in short session and isn't too hard. Not really story-driven, though :p
Other than that, Child of Light is pretty cool, too, but for medium/long sessions, rather than short.

Ah, it's the next mega hit from the publisher of Fit Music. I guess the retail release for this got cancelled or something. Just like Fit Music!

Nah, it's still getting a retail release in some countries (they posted about it on Miiverse, iirc). No idea what happened to Luv something though.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
mmmh
buying ACIV and Child of light I should get a 5 premium download code...and with that I could spend for Pullblox!

zigg

Searched but didn't see it referenced, sorry if old, but there's an Ubisoft 3DS sale going on in the U.S.

$7.50 each for:

- Rayman Origins
- Ghost Recon Shadow Wars
- Splinter Cell 3D
- Rabbids Travel in Time 3D
- Rayman 3D
- Petz Fantasy 3D (!!!)

rjc571

Banned
Searched but didn't see it referenced, sorry if old, but there's an Ubisoft 3DS sale going on in the U.S.

$7.50 each for:

- Rayman Origins
- Ghost Recon Shadow Wars
- Splinter Cell 3D
- Rabbids Travel in Time 3D
- Rayman 3D
- Petz Fantasy 3D (!!!)

The lack of 3D screenshots and video for these games in the eshop is baffling. If they're trying to sell us the games on the basis of them being 3D, why not show us what they actually look like in 3D?!? I'd consider buying Rayman 2 at that price, even though I know it's not a good port, if I could see how the 3D looks.

Refyref

Thinking about Rayman 2. I love the game, but I have heard the 3DS port has a sound glitch for the basic action of attacking and some other such things. And it's based on the Dreamcast version, and I don't like some of that version's additions.
Hard to believe that the DS port was probably handled with more care, despite having a worse control method and graphics. (Because DS)

zigg

those ubi summer sales are also for wiiu games. do we know if they will be also in PAL?

In the U.S. we have

- ZombiU - $22.49
- Rayman Legends - $20
- Ass Creed IV - $20
- Splinter Cell Blacklist - $22.49
- Ass Creed III - $14.99
- Rabbids Land - $12.50
- Cloudberry Kingdom - $5
- Marvel Avengers - $15
- Your Shape - $12.50
- ESPN Sports Connection - $12.50
- The Smurfs 2 (!!!) - $20

If you own a WiiU, and you haven't downloaded Scram Kitty, you really should consider doing so.
I'm having way too much fun with the game right now. The mechanics feel really good, the objectives never get old, the soundtrack is great, and the level design is killer.

maxcriden

If you own a WiiU, and you haven't downloaded Scram Kitty, you really should consider doing so.
I'm having way too much fun with the game right now. The mechanics feel really good, the objectives never get old, the soundtrack is great, and the level design is killer.

Heck yeah! Glad you're digging it.

maxcriden

I got tired of Scram Kitty after about an hour or two. Some of the levels felt too cheap and frustrating.

What felt cheap to you? I can definitely empathize; I was very frustrated with some parts early on but when I learned tips on Miiverse and GAF, like that full health will give you a much bigger jump, I started to enjoy it a lot more.

steveovig

What felt cheap to you? I can definitely empathize; I was very frustrated with some parts early on but when I learned tips on Miiverse and GAF, like that full health will give you a much bigger jump, I started to enjoy it a lot more.

I just remember one level with narrow passages and that stupid enemy that pops up in certain spots that gives you a kitty for killing him in each level. I couldn't get to a spot to shoot him and kept dying and became very frustrated. I've probably beaten at least 10 levels so far but it just doesn't seem to be my cup of tea.

The Virtual Console release schedule is terrible as usual but Mario Power Tennis is one of my most wanted GBA games alongside Metroid Zero Mission and Golden Sun The Lost Age.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I'm gonna be borrowing a friends 3DS long term to play a few games because I'm dry on Vita JRPG's. Buying Bravely Default and Shin Megami Tensei 4 tomorrow. I'm interested in Attack of the Friday Monster and Pushmo. I have an extreme disdain for anything Mario. I'm gonna get Fire Emblem Awakening and Persona Q after I'm done with both of the first games because they'll drop in price by the time I'm done with BD and SMT4. What are the 3DS's top tier recommendations that don't have Mario in them? Preferably JRPG's and if not that, anything I can get for sub-$20. Yeah yeah I'm getting Pokémon Ruby too. Maybe some VC games. Gotta check out the Zelda games too. Maybe at a later date even though 2-D Zelda games are a weakness of mine.

All physically of course. If I'm gonna own games without a console, I want something to show for it.

Boogiepop

I'm gonna be borrowing a friends 3DS long term to play a few games because I'm dry on Vita JRPG's. Buying Bravely Default and Shin Megami Tensei 4 tomorrow. I'm interested in Attack of the Friday Monster and Pushmo. I have an extreme disdain for anything Mario. I'm gonna get Fire Emblem Awakening and Persona Q after I'm done with both of the first games because they'll drop in price by the time I'm done with BD and SMT4. What are the 3DS's top tier recommendations that don't have Mario in them? Preferably JRPG's and if not that, anything I can get for sub-$20. Yeah yeah I'm getting Pokémon Ruby too. Maybe some VC games. Gotta check out the Zelda games too. Maybe at a later date even though 2-D Zelda games are a weakness of mine.

All physically of course. If I'm gonna own games without a console, I want something to show for it.

Etrian Odyssey games are great, though probably try one of the demos first. They're not really big plot games so if that's why you're into JRPGs they may not be for you, but absolutely love the series.

You can't go wrong with any of these: Zelda A Link Between Worlds, Soul Hackers, Etrian Odyssey 4 and/or EO Untold. Rune Factory 4 is very good. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon is good if you like roguelikes. Monster Hunter 3G is very good and some people consider it and RPG, so check that out if you haven't already. Not exactly RPGs but Kid Icarus Uprising, Animal Crossing, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy and Luigi's Mansion 2 are amazing games. Plus the ones you already mentioned, which are very good choices.

There are other games that you can probably get for cheap now and you might want to check out. Maybe you'll like Code of Princess, Virtue's Last Reward and Project X Zone. Resident Evil Revelations is pretty good and is on sale (I think?) on the eShop for like $10. There's also stuff like Star Fox 64, Ocarina of Time and Donkey Kong Country Returns, if you haven't played them before. It's a shame that you have a "no Marios allowed" rule 'cause that means you're missing out on some of the best games on the 3DS, including an amazing RPG, Mario & Luigi 4.

Well, Pushmo and Attack of the Friday Monsters are digital, as are all VC titles, of course. If you're open to get those digitally, then you also want Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney Dual Destinies and Crimson Shroud. They're ace. The Denpa Ningen games are decent RPGs and the Picross games are excellent puzzles.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Etrian Odyssey games are great, though probably try one of the demos first. They're not really big plot games so if that's why you're into JRPGs they may not be for you, but absolutely love the series.
Apparently Persona Q is an Etrian Odyssey style game. It has Shoji Meguro music so if the gameplay doesn't capture me, the story and music will.
You can't go wrong with any of these: Zelda A Link Between Worlds, Soul Hackers, Etrian Odyssey 4 and/or EO Untold. Rune Factory 4 is very good. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon is good if you like roguelikes. Monster Hunter 3G is very good and some people consider it and RPG, so check that out if you haven't already. Not exactly RPGs but Kid Icarus Uprising, Animal Crossing, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy and Luigi's Mansion 2 are amazing games. Plus the ones you already mentioned, which are very good choices.
There are other games that you can probably get for cheap now and you might want to check out. Maybe you'll like Code of Princess, Virtue's Last Reward and Project X Zone. Resident Evil Revelations is pretty good and is on sale (I think?) on the eShop for like $10. There's also stuff like Star Fox 64, Ocarina of Time and Donkey Kong Country Returns, if you haven't played them before. It's a shame that you have a "no Marios allowed" rule 'cause that means you're missing out on some of the best games on the 3DS, including an amazing RPG, Mario & Luigi 4.
Well, Pushmo and Attack of the Friday Monsters are digital, as are all VC titles, of course. If you're open to get those digitally, then you also want Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney Dual Destinies and Crimson Shroud. They're ace. The Denpa Ningen games are decent RPGs and the Picross games are excellent puzzles.
This is good. This is very good. Lots of stuff. I'm saving this post.

If it's Dream Team I'm missing I'm not (personally) missing much. I'll give Paper Mario a looksie though. That's about all Mario gets from me though. I'll put some research into Soul Hackers. Retro 90's JRPG Port? I'll look at it. Maybe if I'm bored one day. EO, I'll get Persona Q. Rune Factory, too expensive right now. I had no idea Pokémon Mystery Dungeon was a rougelike, I'm interested. I completely forgot about Theatrythem, I was so hyped for that a couple of years ago and Gamestop says $20-ish used. Unfortunately, I never liked Monster Hunter and I never liked any MonHun clones. VN either. I don't appreciate VLR on Vita which leads me to believe VN are a dead end for me.

And now, for The Tear aka why I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the GBA. Anything with Mario in it, no. Star Fox, no. Kid Icarus, no. Donkey Kong, no. Animal Crossing, no. Luigis Mansion, no. Zelda, 2D only. I've never played a Phoenix Wright game so I'll just give this one a shot. The same with Professor Layton. If I like both I'll get the Wright x Layton cross-over.

But yeah, I'm not adverse to digital titles. I just won't be buying anything I can get from retail off the E-Shop. It's gonna be a goddamn hunt getting a lot of those physically though. I'll be calling Gamestops once a month. Hell, I might spend more on gas trying to get a lower used price than if I just ordered it new from Amazon or something.

Apparently Persona Q is an Etrian Odyssey style game. It has Shoji Meguro music so if the gameplay doesn't capture me, the story and music will.

Etrian Odyssey has Yuzo Koshiro music, so you know it's god-tier also. If story is a most, then get Etrian Odyssey Untold since it's got more emphasis on story than EO4.

This is good. This is very good. Lots of stuff. I'm saving this post.

Glad to be of help!

I'll give Paper Mario a looksie though.

Paper Mario Sticker Star is different from other Paper Mario games. It's not so much an RPG as an Adventure game with RPG battles. It's got lots of explorations and searchign for hidden stuff. Some people don't like it and others love it. I really like it. I think it can be found for cheap, maybe? Give it a try.

Zelda, 2D only

A Link Between Worlds is 2D and isthe sequel to the best 2D Zelda, so you should really give it a try. It's one of my favorite games ever.

And now, for The Tear aka why I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the GBA.
Oh, man, you missed out on the DS? There's a LOT of RPGs for DS that you I think you would like. It's the RPG Paradise. What's more, you can play all of them on 3DS and most of them should be somewhat cheap by now, I imagine. I can give some recommendations if you haven't played them and are interested.

But yeah, I'm not adverse to digital titles. I just won't be buying anything I can get from retail off the E-Shop.
I know what you mean, I have a hard time affording games and have to rely on lending games among friends most of the time and that's impossible with digital. But there're some very good digital only games on 3DS. Since you like RPG, check out Crimson Shroud. It's like a traditional table-top RPG, with RPG battles, lots of loot and equipment and a strong emphasis on story, like is to be expected of a game by Yasumi Matsuno. The music is excellent too. It's a very stylized game but very much worth checking out.

Nah, I'm all good. I think because I have so many games registered.

Apparently a lot of codes out there doing the rounds are flagged as stolen.
Don't tell me that this is what people are doing. Buy MK8, sell code on eBay for £13 (or whatever the going rate is), contact NOE telling them code did not come with MK8, sell code on eBay for £13. Sell MK8 for ??? on eBay. Profit.

I still have a few more to register (I'll do it by the end of July, no rush as I won't play the games until September) and I don't think proof of purchase would help my Club Nintendo standing (as it may be seen as an admission to violating more than 1 account per person).

maxcriden

I just remember one level with narrow passages and that stupid enemy that pops up in certain spots that gives you a kitty for killing him in each level. I couldn't get to a spot to shoot him and kept dying and became very frustrated. I've probably beaten at least 10 levels so far but it just doesn't seem to be my cup of tea.

Ah, that makes sense. It's an acquired taste for sure and definitely a polarizing kind of game.

Platy

ZombiU for 15 canadian dolars is tempting ... and I not a fan of scary games xD

I guess I will end up getting Rayman Legends for 20 =P

Ban Puncher

Don't tell me that this is what people are doing. Buy MK8, sell code on eBay for £13 (or whatever the going rate is), contact NOE telling them code did not come with MK8, sell code on eBay for £13. Sell MK8 for ??? on eBay. Profit.

I still have a few more to register (I'll do it by the end of July, no rush as I won't play the games until September) and I don't think proof of purchase would help my Club Nintendo standing (as it may be seen as an admission to violating more than 1 account per person).

My buddy bought the code off eBay it turns out so whoever sold it to him probably stole the code out of a box at a store or bought and returned it just for the game redemption number.

In the end I'm just glad I didn't get fucked over.

Oh man, it took like half a day to move around all the files from my external HDD so I could use it on my Wii U and now it won't recognize it.

If it's a bus-powered USB drive, you may need a USB Y-cable in order to give it power from both ports.

yea that sounds like what happens when a hard drive isn't getting enough power

That's a bummer. I wasn't aware that you need a HDD with dedicated power source or use Y-cables. I hear that this Toshiba drive works with only one bus but I'm not sure...

edit: to be clear, I want to avoid y-cables because I might need a LAN adapter in the future.

Robin64

That's a bummer. I wasn't aware that you need a HDD with dedicated power source or use Y-cables. I hear that this Toshiba drive works with only one bus but I'm not sure...

edit: to be clear, I want to avoid y-cables because I might need a LAN adapter in the future.

You could use a Y cable in the front ports for the HDD and use the ports on the back for LAN, no?

L~A

There's some eShop mainentenance happening next week.

I'd love to believe this was for the infamous web eShop #BELIEVE

There's a pretty simple test to know whether a HDD can work with just one USB port. Is it USB 3.0? If yes, then you need a Y cable, doesn't matter the model or the constructor.

I'm sure you can find an adapter to plug in a USB drive on a power outlet (like you plug in the USB port in the adapter that you plug in your power outselt).

You could use a Y cable in the front ports for the HDD and use the ports on the back for LAN, no?

True, but that'd look ugly!

There's a pretty simple test to know whether a HDD can work with just one USB port. Is it USB 3.0? If yes, then you need a Y cable, doesn't matter the model or the constructor.

I'm sure you can find an adapter to plug in a USB drive on a power outlet (like you plug in the USB port in the adapter that you plug in your power outselt).

I found a video where some dude uses the 500gb model and apparently it works.

What to do what to do...

RiggyRob

There's some eShop mainentenance happening next week.

I'd love to believe this was for the infamous web eShop #BELIEVE

4 hours of maintenance?

Can't wait for the new stability:

original.gif

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I'm surprised the boxing game hasn't been shown yet. It's out in 2 days!

First online boxing game with 2 motion+ deserves a little bit of hype :)

sörine;118020032 said:
Shinobi's a weird one since Sega's been relatively good about putting out their back catalog on the eShop. It's their only non-licensed game not on there I think?
Super Monkey Ball only came out a few months ago.

Thing about Shinobi is the original developer metamorphed into a mobile games dev but SEGA do have all the code for the game. I believe that is what some the dev team said in a LTTP thread.

n64coder

I have an old USB 2.0 500 gb external hd from Buffalo and it doesn't work without a y-cable. It makes that clicking noise.

Is it small like it has a laptop drive? Or is it bigger?

I can echo what the other person said that those small USB 2.0 portable drives work fine without a Y cable but USB 3.0 definitely requires it.

Top Bottom