• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo is suing Palworld devs

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I wish everyone had the same fervor of suing Nintendo for every miniscule possibility of plagiarism they had done.

SjyDWBP.png

exhibit A, your honor

Mr Hyde

Giana Sisters all over again. Nintendo just ain't fucking around. They are gunning for anyone even remotely infringing on their IPs, whether it be emulation, games that look similar, fan made stuff, they will protect their legacy to the very end, even it means killing others in the process.

because not even Pokemon itself has originality with their own as some of their monsters resemble alot other franchises
You can't even patent fictional characters either, they are protected under copyright, and this lawsuit is talking about patent infringement for some reason..
Maybe nintendo is going to try to go after palworld's monster collecting gameplay mechanic? Doubt nintendo has an actual patent on that though.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This gonna be a fun case. It basically gonna involve any monster or creature as stealing if end up being true, because not even Pokemon itself has originality with their own as some of their monsters resemble alot other franchises(DQ comes to mind).
The think DQ has very different artstyle than Pokémon but Palworld is actively trying to mimic Pokémon style.

People might get triggered for saying this but I have no sympathy for Palworld devs.

They could have easily just design their own creature design but instead they chose actively copy Pokémon, they should have expected Nintendo will eventually gonna go after them.

laynelane

It was only a matter of time. As others have said, waiting until the game made more money makes a lot of sense. What didn't make sense was Nintendo ignoring even a whiff of copyright/patent infringement.

hinch7

Didn't think they would do it seeing as though the designs are really darn close, but different enough to not be infringing copyright. Guess I was wrong :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Remember seeing a Mewtwo design rip off which was pretty blatant, amongst others. Maybe they have spotted a loophole to sue them on a patent infringement somehow??

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
The think DQ has very different artstyle than Pokémon but Palworld is actively trying to mimic Pokémon style.

People might get triggered for saying this but I have no sympathy for Palworld devs.

They could have easily just design their own creature design but instead they chose actively copy Pokémon, they should have expected Nintendo will eventually gonna go after them.

Like what? They didn’t actively copy Pokemon more than say Duke Nukem ripped off Doom. They’re just cutesy animal designs that exist in a million games.

Comandr

I’m going to laugh if it’s something as stupid as suing them for the way the ball shakes after you throw it at a monster while you’re catching them.

Peak pettiness.

laynelane

This lawsuit seeks an injunction against infringement and compensation for damages on the grounds that Palworld, a game developed and released by the Defendant, infringes multiple patent rights.

(bolded mine)

Looks like we're all going to be learning about patent rights - so long as this case progresses. I'm not familiar with this at all so it should be interesting to see exactly what is being claimed here.

This is the same stupidity when rabid Pikmins accused Mihoyo of copying BOTW and then TOTK "copied" the flying islands from Genshin Impact.

From time to time Pikmins show us they are a special kind, too. Jesus wept.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Like what? They didn’t actively copy Pokemon more than say Duke Nukem ripped off Doom. They’re just cutesy animal designs that exist in a million games.
They are literately using same arstyle...

YDhcNou.png
HrF0Xis.png

You could say these look orange looking Dragon but their face, their body and their wings look very different because they both using different artstyle.

Meanwhile
T_FlowerDinosaur_icon_normal.png
153.png

You have to be blind not to see they actually trying mimic Pokemon's artsyle.

Neff

Nintendo won't win, Palworld isn't a 1 for 1 copy.

I can't stand Pokémon but it's blindingly apparent even to me that these guys went out of their way to imitate the aesthetic, and the character designs are half the appeal of the brand.

Waited until they finished collecting all their revenue, to take it all back in court.

Also ample time to fashion an absolute brute of a case against them.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
They are literately using same arstyle...

YDhcNou.png
HrF0Xis.png

You could say these look orange looking Dragon but their face, their body and their wings look very different because they both using different artstyle.

Meanwhile
T_FlowerDinosaur_icon_normal.png
153.png

You have to be blind not to see they actually trying mimic Pokemon's artsyle.

Look at that DQ to Pokemon comparison and tell me that’s not the same artstyle. Did you play Palworld?

BlackTron

Fuck that.

It's a shame, IMO. It's like if Capcom or SNK sued Mortal Kombat devs because it's a fighting game with assists

Not really. There are some serious style/trade dress issues with Palworld. It's more like Capcom suing MK devs because the characters look like they came from Street Fighter.

There's an additional layer due to the association Palworld makes between characters of this look/feel and the violent or dark nature of the game. IE pals/pokemon with guns, pals/pokemon as slaves, pals/pokemon being killed. The fact that I can say "pals/pokemon" here is why they don't want it, and have a case.

Top Bottom