• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo is suing Palworld devs

onQ123

Do you think this is what tipped the lawsuit into happening?

By who?

Not a lawyer, but: they're probably gonna settle out of court, and Pocketpair'll probably have to update some code and assets that were in violation or whatever.

Yeah, it being a patent lawsuit kind of flips this on its side. So many questions.

-Can a company patent virtual assets, like character models?​
-Can certain game mechanics and systems be patented?​

I know that way back in the day, Namco patented the "mini-game loading screen" concept they used for early PS1 games, so no one else could use mini-games to hide loading screens unless they went through Namco. That patent expired somewhat recently (well, back in 2015).

So, if THAT can be patented, them I think certain mechanics/systems programmed in a game itself could also be patented.

Really makes me wonder how deep into Pokemon code Pocketpair went digging...
Nope but it's what let me know it was guaranteed to happen even after people thought Nintendo was going to let them continue to ripoff Pokemon.

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
Fans have disassembled and figured out every algorithm used in Pokémon. You got IV / EV calculators, hatch rates, etc, etc. It's so tempting for any developer to just copy/paste code found on internet to test something and then the developer leaves or switches to another project and the code remains. Also, when suing for patent infringement they mention their patent and show data from Palworld that can only be generated with an algorithm implementing that patent, then Pocketpair will have to demonstrate (usually showing a section of their source code) that their algorithm is different and that the majority of the use cases the output doesn't match.

Komatsu

Absolutely amazing to see people here cheering Nintendo's bullshit judicial intimidation. They claim, of course, that Pocket Pair infringed their "patents".

What patents? Pokemon wasn't the first game to include collectable monsters. Megami Tensei - which early Game Freak devs recognized as an inspiration - came out in 1987. There were dozens of games with monster-taming mechanics before Pocket Monsters Red & Green.

So perhaps they are alleging that Pocket Pair copied their "battle system"? Well, video game rules are not copyrightable.

There are at least 50-something Pokemons that resemble Digimons, the Pocket Ball is quite similar to the "Digivice" (had to google this, lol) and guess what? Nintendo never sued Toei, which happens to have pretty deep pockets. Pocket Pair doesn't even have to resort to the "originality" defense, they can argue that things like "monster taming devices" are part of general gaming culture, and they'd be right. There's a reason why the Tolkien estate doesn't sue every fantasy author writing slop with "beautiful, human-sized elves" even though Tolkien basically invented the species - it's part of the cultural stew now, and it can't be clawed back.

Happy to see that Pocket Pair filed a countersuit. Hopefully they'll sue Nintendo in Japan as well, as proving plagiarism in Japanese courts is famously difficult.

TOKYO – Following Nintendo and The Pokemon Company filing a patent infringement lawsuit against Pocketpair Inc. Palworld’s parent company has responded in kind and countersued The Pokémon Company by copy-pasting the lawsuit against Pocketpair, Inc.

Last edited:
Same way demon in SMT based on actual mythology.
5UxbDRt.png
tVZB6WG.png

I'm pretty sure there is story reason why "humans" monsters looks like Hieronymus Bosch's painting.

I dont personally see anything wrong with that.
Belphegor sitting on a toilet in SMT and making constipated animations never gets old

They are literately using same arstyle...

YDhcNou.png
HrF0Xis.png

You could say these look orange looking Dragon but their face, their body and their wings look very different because they both using different artstyle.

Meanwhile
T_FlowerDinosaur_icon_normal.png
153.png

You have to be blind not to see they actually trying mimic Pokemon's artsyle.
Also, let’s talk about Pokémon ripping off Dragon Quest and early Final Fantasy designs as well then, shall we?

Double also, your dragons are from the wrong games 🤷‍♂

NLqV02i.jpeg

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Absolutely amazing to see people here cheering Nintendo's bullshit judicial intimidation. They claim, of course, that Pocket Pair infringed their "patents".

What patents? Pokemon wasn't the first game to include collectable monsters. Megami Tensei - which early Game Freak devs recognized as an inspiration - came out in 1987. There were dozens of games with monster-taming mechanics before Pocket Monsters Red & Green.

So perhaps they are alleging that Pocket Pair copied their "battle system"? Well, video game rules are not copyrightable.

There are at least 50-something Pokemons that resemble Digimons, the Pocket Ball is quite similar to the "Digivice" (had to google this, lol) and guess what? Nintendo never sued Toei, which happens to have pretty deep pockets. Pocket Pair doesn't even have to resort to the "originality" defense, they can argue that things like "monster taming devices" are part of general gaming culture, and they'd be right. There's a reason why the Tolkien state doesn't sue every fantasy author with "beautiful, human-sized elves" even though Tolkien basically invented the species - it's part of the cultural stew now, and it can't be clawed back.

Happy to see that Pocket Pair filed a countersuit. Hopefully they'll sue Nintendo in Japan as well, as proving plagiarism in Japanese courts is famously difficult.
where did you saw that they filled a countersuit?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Also, let’s talk about Pokémon ripping off Dragon Quest and early Final Fantasy designs as well then, shall we?

NLqV02i.jpeg
Again look at the actual art.....art style is very much different, and only thing similar is most of them based on same animal.

sNVdbwN.png
hjscCDK.png

How this two look similar to each other? because they both birds? Come on.

near

Gold Member
I dont know legal system to know how to use famous art from 1495 in video game but I'm pretty sure they took permission one way or another.
A bit of a double standard you have here. On the one hand it’s completely fine for Atlus to use almost identical artwork from another artist, and on the other hand it’s not for Pocketpair even though they’ve not crossed legal boundaries. You suggested Palworld’s character designs should be more original but you don’t want to hold Atlus accountable when they fail to do just that.

Again look at the actual art.....art style is very much different, and only thing similar is most of them based on same animal.

sNVdbwN.png
hjscCDK.png

How this two look similar to each other? because they both birds? Come on.
You can pick one of the however many there are in that side by side…but I am not playing this game. Legitimately blatant copies in that image, and you know it.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Here's the patent

I think I found the patent :
STORAGE MEDIUM STORING GAME PROGRAM, GAME SYSTEM, GAME APPARATUS, AND GAME PROCESSING METHOD Publication number: 20230191255 Abstract: In a first mode, an aiming direction in a virtual space is determined based on a second operation input, and a player character is caused to launch, in the aiming direction, an item that affects a field character disposed on a field in the virtual space, based on a third operation input. In a second mode, the aiming direction is determined, based on the second operation input, and the player character is caused to launch, in the aiming direction, a fighting character that fights, based on the third operation input. Type: Application Filed: September 21, 2022
https://patents.justia.com/patent/20230191255
This was filed at an appropriate time, no doubt to coincide with Legends: Arceus, and unfortunately looks like it would cover Palworld. Specifically the accuracy and catch rate calculation stuff (not in the abstract, but it's in the main body of the patent).
Note this is the US patent, but they probably have similar claims in Japan. Also, unfortunately, the claims are probably narrow enough to stand up in court, while being broad enough to cover Palworld.

Last edited:

Saber

The think DQ has very different artstyle than Pokémon but Palworld is actively trying to mimic Pokémon style.

People might get triggered for saying this but I have no sympathy for Palworld devs.

They could have easily just design their own creature design but instead they chose actively copy Pokémon, they should have expected Nintendo will eventually gonna go after them.

Nah I disagree. Some differences between some monsters from DQ are minimal. Taking away that crab monster face, he is basically a clone of Krabby.
The point I was saying is that in which point something can be called copy or not. Going in favor of Pokemon generally means giving too much power over monster designs. For instance that dolphin pokemon its literally a dolphin. Anyone who tries to make a dolphin monster out of a dolphin would give Pkmn company too much legal power over other companies, specially small ones.

Doesn't look anywhere near copyright infringement by a legal standard or plagiarism by an informal standard. Only the eyes are directly derivative.

I agree. If eyes are a reason to claim copyright, then Zigzagon its a Digimon since it follow the same eye paterns of Digimons. Also Mega forms are a straight up copy of Mega forms from Digimon(mega stones represents the digivice). This is the point I was trying make.

Last edited:

Komatsu

Here's the patent

If the Pocket Pair legal team is savvy, they will not only win but strike this BS patent filing which goes against longstanding intellectual property law. It is settled in law that game rules cannot be copyrighted. This has happened many times, every once in a while some bullshit filing goes through and it is later challenged in court. A Patent is a registered right that gives the owner exclusive right to features and processes of inventions so unless Nintendo can prove that the whole system is an "invention" (good luck), the defendant can allege that said rules are not patentable and are matter of copyright, which, voilá!, cannot cover game rules.

Seems something like patent the arrow direction 😂 who was..sega?

And they lost.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
A bit of a double standard you have here. On the one hand it’s completely fine for Atlus to use almost identical artwork from another artist, and on the other hand it’s not for Pocketpair even though they’ve not crossed legal boundaries. You suggested Palworld’s character designs should be more original but you don’t want to hold Atlus accountable when they fail to do just that.
The art Atlus using for Metaphor big part of human history those monster in the game called "humans" and that game's world they consider our world their fantasy.

So I would say they good story reason why they are using Hieronymus Bosch's work as creature design.....same way SMT demons are based actual mythologies.

Yeah its very different than what Palworld is doing

Last edited:

Oof85

Banned

NLqV02i.jpeg
You can clearly see the inspirations but they were careful to not outright ape the designs.

You can't say that about Palworld and everyone in here knows it.

People just dislike Nintendo and want to see them with egg on their faces but know innately that if Pokemon and Palworld artists took an art class together, the Palworld student is getting held after class for a private discussion with the teacher/professor.

I just wish people would be honest about why they're tight.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
People just dislike Nintendo and want to see them with egg on their faces but know innately that if Pokemon and Palworld artists took an art class together, the Palworld student is getting held after class for a private discussion with the teacher/professor.

I just wish people would be honest about why they're tight.
Not everyone sees the world through a tribalistic lens when it comes to plastic entertainment boxes.

Guilty_AI

Actually super interested to see how this plays out.

Have Nintendo lawyers ever truly failed them?
In recent times? There was this case:

They also lost patent violation lawsuits they initiated in the past (like with the wii motion controllers) so i guess history isn't on nintendo's side here.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Nah I disagree. Some differences between some monsters from DQ are minimal. Taking away that crab monster face, he is basically a clone of Krabby.
The point I was saying is that in which point something can be called copy or not. Going in favor of Pokemon generally means giving too much power over monster designs. For instance that dolphin pokemon its literally a dolphin. Anyone who tries to make a dolphin monster out of a dolphin would give Pkmn company too much legal power over other companies, specially small ones.

You guys are going nuts picking apart a lot of irrelevant stuff here. 1000 companies can make a game where you can catch a dolphin. When you use the same art style, such that someone can say you intentionally tried to make it look like their unique dolphin, there's a problem. Especially if your unique dolphin is very recognizable (and "monetizable").

Nintendo uses a certain style in Pokemon that goes back a long time; people recognize it and it's very established. One might get away with using the style lightly, when not in a game about catching all the Pals in the world with Palballs with a party of 6 Pals. None of that stuff alone is wrong, but damaging in creating the context in which they are using the infringing art style.

I think Palworld is a cool game. If I was in the team I think I would have advised them to change up the art style a bit, get new eye designs and stuff. They totally look like Pokemon designs by using all that and we knew this would happen. All the talk about "you can't patent a game about catching a dragon" is missing the point.

I think anyone should be able to make the game they want but the purpose of trade dress protection isn't lost on me. But everyone is making this about the right to make a similar game or similar monsters. Samsung lost a trade dress case to Apple that doesn't mean Apple decides who gets to make a phone. It means make your own style. Dragon Quest is 100% clear legally and Palworld....isn't.

Unfortunately one of the best ways to lose your rights is to not enforce them. Pocketpair pretty much begged for this to happen. Otherwise it creates a precedent and eventually anyone can copy Pokemon's trade dress. Then they can't protect it because they didn't bother to in the past. Imagine thinking Nintendo is gonna "be nice" and let it go.

Unfortunately one of the best ways to lose your rights is to not enforce them.
For trademarks yes, but not copyright, you never lose copyright unless it expires, and the suit isn't about either, it's about patent rights; art styles fall under none of the three, though I guess you can file a patent in the US for certain tools that work together to create a certain style.

GHound

OP should have included the text from the linked page considering how many people ITT find opening it to be a herculean task.

BlackTron

For trademarks yes, but not copyright, you never lose copyright unless it expires, and the suit isn't about either, it's about patent rights; art styles fall under none of the three, though I guess you can file a patent in the US for certain tools that work together to create a certain style.

Right, but trade dress can either be trademarked or is enforceable through common law.

I didn't realize until now they specified they are suing over a patent, or that the patent in question appears to be the poke-ball throwing mechanic. In which case, Nintendo is just going at them with the most airtight thing they have out the gate (but they have more, and may yet pile it on).

Edit: To clarify, the elements that I think are infringing fall under trade dress. Nintendo is using a patent to attack them which (apparently) is the ball-throwing mechanic, but that doesn't mean that's specifically the only thing Nintendo/their lawyers think is infringing, it's just their current legal strategy.

In order to get them for trade dress they need to demonstrate that their distinct details/styles were borrowed such that an average person might be confused about its origin. As far as I'm concerned, one look at these character's eyes is all it takes, but it's still more subjective and risky than a patent they have already filed for throwing a Pokeball. Use the strongest ammo first...

Last edited:

PandaOk

Neo Member
If the Pocket Pair legal team is savvy, they will not only win but strike this BS patent filing which goes against longstanding intellectual property law. It is settled in law that game rules cannot be copyrighted. This has happened many times, every once in a while some bullshit filing goes through and it is later challenged in court. A Patent is a registered right that gives the owner exclusive right to features and processes of inventions so unless Nintendo can prove that the whole system is an "invention" (good luck), the defendant can allege that said rules are not patentable and are matter of copyright, which, voilá!, cannot cover game rules.

And they lost.
You definitely understand more than I do, maybe you could clear up a misconception I might have. Don’t copyright law and patent law differ with respect to a situation like this?

Top Bottom