• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Press Conference - Has Begun

Grubdog

Banned
Biglesworth23 said:
Activision has been added to the third party list for launch games now! That probably means a Tony Hawk/Spiderman game or something.. ;)
Sega was just added too. But we already know Activision are planning Spiderman 2 and Sega are planning that cool new Sega game that was Project Rub, for launch.

DrLazy

Steven Kent didn't think Mario 64 was Mario 3 that was the guy from CNN.

Not too much new news in the story except for the minigames in Mario 64 and a sidescrowling Spiderman.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
no online anouncement BOMB BOMB

EDIT: even though I have no idea how it benefits me I am now subscribed to this thread.. and I like it

Grubdog

Banned
RF MICRO DEVICES ANNOUNCES PRODUCTION SHIPMENTS OF WIRELESS LAN TRANSCEIVER FOR HANDHELD NINTENDO DS GAME SYSTEM

Greensboro, NC - October 6, 2004 - RF Micro Devices, Inc. (Nasdaq: RFMD), a leading provider of proprietary radio frequency integrated circuits (RFICs) for wireless communications applications, today announced the Company has begun production shipments of its 802.11 wireless local area network (WLAN) transceiver for use in the new Nintendo DS™. Nintendo is a leading provider of hardware systems and interactive video games for both the home entertainment and handheld gaming environments.

By enabling wireless connectivity in the Nintendo DS, RFMD's WLAN transceiver provides a wireless link to other Nintendo DS units within range. Additionally, with its chat software and wireless capabilities, Nintendo DS gamers are able to transmit text messages, handwriting and even drawings to one another.

The Nintendo DS features dual screens providing two perspectives on the action at once. Its touch-screen input enables users to easily access items, move characters or navigate menus. The Nintendo DS also contains a microphone, which could enable players to control the system using voice commands.

"RFMD's energy-efficient wireless device enables Nintendo to include wireless technology in the Nintendo DS handheld at a low cost," said Satoru Okada, general manager, research and engineering at Nintendo Co., Ltd. "The embedded wireless functionality will enable developers to create rich game designs which were not considered possible in the past, further expanding the fascinating world of Nintendo DS."

Kris Rausch, product line director of wireless LAN products at RF Micro Devices, said, "We are extremely excited to be working with Nintendo, the world's leading name in the gaming industry. Additionally, we are pleased to build upon the success of our WLAN transceiver products, which offer distinct advantages in bill of materials (BOM) cost, size, performance and power consumption. These competitive advantages are driving incremental customer traction as an increasing number of electronic devices are being designed to capitalize on consumer demand for wireless connectivity."

Frank Morese, corporate vice president of the wireless connectivity business unit at RF Micro Devices, said, "We are very pleased to add Nintendo to our blue-chip customer base, which features many of the world's leading manufacturers of high-volume consumer electronic devices. As one of the world's leading video game manufacturers, Nintendo provides RFMD a valuable growth opportunity as we expand into the explosive video gaming market."

RFMD is a trusted supplier of high-volume, low-cost wireless components to leading manufacturers in multiple high-volume markets, including wireless networking, Bluetooth® technology and cellular handsets. The cellular handset market is the world's highest-volume consumer electronics market, with estimated handset shipments in 2003 of 510 million units. The video gaming market had estimated shipments in 2003 of 56 million units and is expected to grow to 80 million units by 2007.

Nintendo needs to announce some more of their own games for launch. Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Metroid, whatever. Just Mario 64 from them would be.. disappointing to say the least.

Coen

Only Mario 64DS from Nintendo? Very, very disappointing. I would've expected them to do something unique, something that would've shown what Nintendoods is capable of. And I couldn't care less about that third party stuff if there's nothing designed specifically for the system.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
DrLazy said:
Steven Kent didn't think Mario 64 was Mario 3 that was the guy from CNN.

Not too much new news in the story except for the minigames in Mario 64 and a sidescrowling Spiderman.
Yeah I get the feeling that this will be a GBA game with another screen ala EA's entire lineup.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
For the INCREDIBLY LAZY:
Steven Kent said:
This is in regards to Mario64 DS

Using the stylus controller, players can easily navigate Mario 64's 3-D world. Also, many of the mini-games use the stylus controller; each character has his own set of games. The stylus is the perfect controller for Luigi's mini games, for example, which involve cards.

aoi tsuki

Wasn't Spiderman rumored to be launch title anyways, making Activision onboard for launch? Can't get to excited about Spiderman on Tony Hak since i'm sure they'll be little more than upgraded GBA games. The likely release of a new Tony Hawk next year might be something to look forward to.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Yeah, this is dissapointing if it is over. There's still the conferences on the 13th and 14th though.

olimario

Banned
We need Wario Ware DS for launch.
Animal Crossing in the next batch.
Jump Super Stars in the next batch.

$$$SALES$$$

Trevelyon

sleep.gif

Subscription +1

Meier

pilonv1 said:
Buy a console then, everyone knows handhelds only exist for companies to port old games.

I've had all 3 for literally years now (well, and a Dreamcast too if you want to include that into the mix) and I more than likely wont even buy a DS at its launch since I am happy with my SP, but I remain very curious about the games.

skip

you'll probably have to wait until midnight for that. and no one said surprise, just 'announcement'.

Is this thing over already?

If so.. god dammit. I shouldn't have stayed up for this. I could have told you all this information (with striking accuracy) about three weeks ago. Bleh.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Looks like i'll be picking up a DS, Super Mario 64, and I would die for you (pending good buzz) for a cool $210. :)

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
impirius said:
We got live video from Nintendo.com... it was awesome
:D

We did "blow by blow" accounts for all three conferences, two of which didn't have free live video. I should know... I was the one on a cell phone talking literally the entire time to someone on a PC typing the shit up. I got kicked out of Sony's at the end.

MarkMacD

Just to keep the hype machine in check (yeah right!) it's -around- midnight, could happen anytime overnight, and just "important." Could just be the US version of whatever goes/went down in Japan.

BuddyC

Johnny Nighttrain said:
yeah, i wouldn't worry about it finishing just yet guys.

we still have to hear about Mizuguchi's game, and some other suprises.
Huh? Didn't that turn out to be a PSP title?

GhaleonEB

Scalemail Ted said:
heh...this is the 2nd system that Mario 64 is being launched on.

More rehashes. Why is it people get excited for this? Is this innovation? Control Mario with a pen?

I don't get it.

MarkMacD said:
Just to keep the hype machine in check (yeah right!) it's -around- midnight, could happen anytime overnight, and just "important." Could just be the US version of whatever goes/went down in Japan.
midnight? its 01:49 AM ET for me

Someone on the IGN DS thread mentioned Wario Ware being confirmed as launch title! Is it somewhere in there? I'm on a 56K, can't load that message board quickly enough (or quick at ALL)..

Top Bottom