• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Press Conference - Has Begun

BuddyChrist83 said:
Huh? Didn't that turn out to be a PSP title?
nope. Lumines is more of a side / pet project.

his DS game will have more substance. it will have some kind of shooting, i can say that much. but yeah, this is the game he's putting most of his effort into.

just be a bit patient i guess.

snapty00

Banned
Yeah, who gives a shit about Mario? I want to hear about Nintendo's new games.

I want to hear about that submarine game and that dog game.

BuddyC

Johnny Nighttrain said:

his DS game will have more substance. it will have some kind of shooting, i can say that much. but yeah, this is the game he's putting most of his effort into.

oh. awesome-tacular.

Johnny Nighttrain said:

I am so hard right now.....

Johnny Nighttrain said:

Where do you get your awesome info from????? Cause..I wanna like...subscribe.

im not gonna give out my sources. but while im at it. Boktai and Castlevania should hit in january.

we should hear about 5-7 more suprises tonight.

BuddyC

Johnny Nighttrain said:
im not gonna give out my sources. but while im at it. Boktai and Castlevania should hit in january.

a new (likely 2D) Castlevania within a year? fuck. me.

That must have moved right through development, as Iga hasn't even seen the DS up close circa E3.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Actually, about the $30 pricing, weren't Nintendo games $30 while all the other companies games were $40 when GBA launched? I remember they blamed Nintendo for jacking the cartridge mold price up.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to go on record and say that, from the blurb in the USA Today piece, Metroid Prime Hunters sounds TERRIBLE.

And honestly, the idea of controlling Mario 64 with the stylus worries me greatly.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Johnny Nighttrain said:

Be very proud sir, by your will alone am I staying up tonight.

DrLazy

While I agree in principal, both games have seperate control schemes available. As long as those are effective, I'm all for them trying out stylus control.

Grubdog

Banned
MetatronM said:
I'm going to go on record and say that, from the blurb in the USA Today piece, Metroid Prime Hunters sounds TERRIBLE.

And honestly, the idea of controlling Mario 64 with the stylus worries me greatly.
Mario 64 is controlled with the sylus? Awesome! I thought it was just the d-pad, which is what i'm worried about. If they can pull off the analog controls with the touch screen then i'm placing down a pre-order.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Grubdog said:
Mario 64 is controlled with the sylus? Awesome! I thought it was just the d-pad, which is what i'm worried about. If they can pull off the analog controls with the touch screen then i'm placing down a pre-order.
Yeah well, I don't see how you can use the stylus to move Mario and use the buttons to make him attack and jump and whatnot without using the stylus in your left hand. And I can't do that. So that worries me immensely.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
DrLazy said:
While I agree in principal, both games have seperate control schemes available. As long as those are effective, I'm all for them trying out stylus control.
If this is true, then I will certainly feel a lot better about the games.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
metdroid said:
I think the stylus just controls the camera angle...

My question to that is, how will they incorperate Mario Tip toeing and all the other analog based movements put forth in M64?

Shoryuken

metdroid said:
I think the stylus just controls the camera angle...

Good idea. With the DS having less buttons (than the 64) it would make sense to use the touch screen for alternate functions.

Sp3eD said:
My question to that is, how will they incorperate Mario Tip toeing and all the other analog based movements put forth in M64?

They could use the touch screen for that too. Say there are buttons on the touch screen that allow you to change from walking, tip toeing, and running.

MetatronM said:

If it makes a difference the same article that criticizes the controls of MP:H for being cumbersome also goes on to state about SM64:

Mario 64 DS. The best of the games that Nintendo demonstrated...
Using the stylus controller, players can easily navigate Mario 64's 3-D world

they don't say how much they played so....take it for what its worth.

snapty00

Banned
Sp3eD said:
They might just not.

Or, they might have him digitally run, like in the old Mario games.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Tenguman said:
I wonder how you still use the stylus to aim in metroid when the game is in the upper screen....

Did they change it? At E3 it was in the lower screen with the map in the upper screen.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Tenguman said:
I wonder how you still use the stylus to aim in metroid when the game is in the upper screen....

Just think of the bottom screen like a mouse pad. I think that is a WAY better idea then poking the hell out of your gaming screen.

Tenguman

MrCheez said:
Did they change it? At E3 it was in the lower screen with the map in the upper screen.
mph.jpg

Just think of the bottom screen like a mouse pad. I think that is a WAY better idea then poking the hell out of your gaming screen.

I don't think that's it...since the bottom screem is used for the map as well as other buttons it seems.

Maybe Nintendo is still showing off the older build? Kent's article isn't very descriptive in that regard.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Tenguman said:
Your movments on the touch screen simply control samus, which will still have a target, now you can actually aim and see since your hand will not be obstructing the gameplay screen.

It wouldn't be that hard to map analog control onto the touch screen for mario either, When the pen is at cent the stick is at rest, move it any direction, the closer you get to the edge of screen the further the simulated "tilt" of the control stick is.

Mirk

MetatronM said:
Yeah well, I don't see how you can use the stylus to move Mario and use the buttons to make him attack and jump and whatnot without using the stylus in your left hand. And I can't do that. So that worries me immensely.

You could still use the stylus in your right hand. They just need to use the d-pad
for a,b,x,y.

Alright...So as you move the stylus on the bottom screen you move your aimer on the top? How many buttons can you access while holding the ds in one hand and the stlyus in the other?

edit....my post just became entirely useless as all my questions were answered before I could even post them. :p

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
If you're just using the stylus to control SM64's camera you'd constantly be picking it up and putting it back down.

scola said:
Your movments on the touch screen simply control samus, which will still have a target, now you can actually aim and see since your hand will not be obstructing the gameplay screen.
based on my impressions with the system, your hand never managed to get in the way the bottom screen. well, i mean, i guess it does, but never to the point where it affects your view of the screen.

im sure anyone else that played the DS will agree with me here.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Scalemail Ted said:
Alright...So as you move the stylus on the bottom screen you move your aimer on the top? How many buttons can you access while holding the ds in one hand and the stlyus in the other?

a,b,x,y R and select start.

EDIT:
Johnny Nighttrain said:
based on my impressions with the system, your hand never managed to get in the way the bottom screen. well, i mean, i guess it does, but never to the point where it affects your view of the screen.

im sure anyone else that played the DS will agree with me here.
Thanks for clarifying that. I assumed that's why the change was made.. but if it wasn't as big of a deal, I am sure they still had their reasons. hmm =/

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
They were all bolted down at E3, hence all the concerns about holding it in your hand coupled with stylus controls.

Nester

I think that the top screen Metroid Prime Hunters is the alternative control where you can use the Dpad and buttons instead of using the stylus at all. If you want to use the Stylus for control, the screens flip and the action takes place on the bottom screen using the stylus to aim.

DrLazy

So is this it? Where's the info? The conference began an hour and a half ago and all we know is $30 games and stylus controlled Mario with minin games? I thought they were going to have their playable launch lineup.

Top Bottom