• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, I was pretty sure it would be presented in English come January 13th? For a worldwide reveal.
It will be in English. Not sure how it will be done exactly. Japanese with English translators or Japanese then some English hype videos or Treehouse cutting into the presentation.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Rösti;226409550 said:
Source: http://www.bigsight.jp/english/organizer/facilities/conference/

We still don't know the venue of the presentation but if they use the International Conference Room I would assume they will utilize the full scope of the simultaneous interpretation equipment.

Also, here's some info on screen sizes available:

Source: http://www.bigsight.jp/organizer/facilities/conference/intl/index.html

Custom solutions for screens are likely available also.

inter_naz2ur3.png

Less than two weeks until Christmas now, hopefully they announce details on the event soon.

That didn't work so great at TGS...

Or was it not the same tech?

No, it is not the cabling, what I said in my original comment was that I want to lay the Switch flat like I do with my other consoles, I don't want to stand it up vertically, but it seems that the Switch cannot be placed horizontal? one reason for this is the way the various cables attach into the Switch but nobody seems to know and there have not been any images of the Switch laying horizontally either.

Not sure it will be able to lay down. Just doesn't make sense to since the marketing seems very targeted behind joycons sliding on and off while docked.

vern

I know if Nintendo announces there's is no Ethernet port on Jan 12 there will be a long negative topic about it. lol

I assumed it wouldn't be there, but we'll see.

There is no Ethernet port. It's been mentioned before I'm pretty sure, but yea it is not there. Not sure why anyone would expect one.

There is no Ethernet port. It's been mentioned before I'm pretty sure, but yea it is not there. Not sure why anyone would expect one.
People are going to be mad and make a big deal out of it because they want their wired connection. I know for the Wii U I bought the adapter and I'm fine.

jacksrb

Not sure it will be able to lay down. Just doesn't make sense to since the marketing seems very targeted behind joycons sliding on and off while docked.

This is all kinds of duct-tape-y, but to me the main functionality threatened if laid on its side would be the rumored infrared (for the IR) at the top of the uncovered screen.

If you set up a spare wii/wii U sensor bar (or candles) I don't think the IR in the controller would care.

That doesn't speak to the issues that may or not be caused by it laying on its side relative to cooling or how it slides in or out of the dock.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Should I take the 12th off work? I feel like I should
I was asking that too this morning but the presentation is in japan and it is on the 13th in Japan which means it'll be the evening of the 12 in the US. I'd take the 13th off since that'll likely be when you get to see all the media impressions for it.

Edit: also wait until they announce the time. I think the 13th is the smarter choice if you're in the US, plus it's a Friday =}

I was asking that too this morning but the presentation is in japan and it is on the 13th in Japan which means it'll be the evening of the 12 in the US. I'd take the 13th off since that'll likely be when you get to see all the media impressions for it.

Edit: also wait until they announce the time. I think the 13th is the smarter choice if you're in the US, plus it's a Friday =}

True... countdown in the OP has it the 12th at 6:25PST. Doesn't that mean the time is already announced? Either way I would request both days off, since I'm rarely off before 6:30

Just to give everyone an example.

I'm assuming the presentation will take place sometime between 9am - Noon Japan time on January 13

That's 7pm -10pm Eastern (4pm - 7pm Pacific) on January 12 in America. I know it's 12am- 3am in the U.K. on January 13.

LordKano

True... countdown in the OP has it the 12th at 6:25PST. Doesn't that mean the time is already announced? Either way I would request both days off, since I'm rarely off before 6:30

AFAIK there was no precise time announced, neither for the presentation nor the actual press event.

rockx4

I'm too weak, 1 month is a while away. Just small leaks, not asking for much :(

Switch surprise showing on Jimmy Fallon is making me check for updates. It's made the wait feel longer.

Pachimari

That month is gonna pass by quick.

Personally I am totally invested in Final Fantasy XV now. And then I'll be celebrating Christmas next Saturday, and between that and New Year there's a birthday to attend. And then of course New Year. And when that's done and over we got 13 days left till the reveal.

That's were it's gonna slow down for me I think lol.

keakster

People are going to be mad and make a big deal out of it because they want their wired connection. I know for the Wii U I bought the adapter and I'm fine.

I was worried about the WiFi only on the Wii U as well and bought the adapter, but the WiFi ended up always being faster so I just stuck with that. I don't really see it making sense for the Switch, it is the opposite of what they are trying to promote.

I was worried about the WiFi only on the Wii U as well and bought the adapter, but the WiFi ended up always being faster so I just stuck with that. I don't really see it making sense for the Switch, it is the opposite of what they are trying to promote.

I brought this up in another thread but didn't see it answered. Could USB C even handle an ethernet connection along with the charging and video transmission that we already know is going to be passing through it?

atbigelow

I brought this up in another thread but didn't see it answered. Could USB C even handle an ethernet connection along with the charging and video transmission that we already know is going to be passing through it?

Type-C itself doesn't dictate what version of USB it uses. But what they are using it for (video and probably with HDCP) would indicate it is using USB 3.1. And 3.1 absolutely has the bandwidth (10 Gbps duplex) to accomplish it. Your audio and video will eat up a large chunk, but there'll be plenty left over.

rockx4

What is even left at this point? Seems like everything is known already. Maybe some OS details? Reports say it is running on android so maybe that is even known at this point.

I'm sorta hoping it has nvidia gamestream... probably wishful thinking lol.

HylianTom

Banned
Just to give everyone an example.

I'm assuming the presentation will take place sometime between 9am - Noon Japan time on January 13

That's 7pm -10pm Eastern (4pm - 7pm Pacific) on January 12 in America. I know it's 12am- 3am in the U.K. on January 13.

That's what I'm guessing.

It leads me to think that retailers in the US won't start preorders until the following morning. They'd probably not open preorders until after the event is over - but this would be pretty close to January 12th closing time for stores on the East Coast.

This leads me to wonder if we're going to see people lining-up overnight - doubly so if hype is off the charts and GameStop announces, "Hey, folks - preorders open at the start of business tomorrow! G'nite!"

EloquentM

aka Mannny
That's what I'm guessing.

It leads me to think that retailers in the US won't start preorders until the following morning. They'd probably not open preorders until after the event is over - but this would be pretty close to January 12th closing time for stores on the East Coast.

This leads me to wonder if we're going to see people lining-up overnight - doubly so if hype is off the charts and GameStop announces, "Hey, folks - preorders open at the start of business tomorrow! G'nite!"
Tom, just promise me I'll be able to get my day 1 amazon preorder in. Promise.

keakster

There is also the issue of unplugging the console from the dock and the delay that would occur as the system has to look for a WiFi connection. I imagine that Nintendo would want to discourage this but at the same time there are likely consumers who don't have access to WiFi, so maybe there will be a solution, but I'm willing to bet it will be the same USB adapter (which is the one they release for the Wii)

HylianTom

Banned
Tom, just promise me I'll be able to get my day 1 amazon preorder in. Promise.

You can do it!

(Meanwhile, I'm mentally preparing myself for the possibility of waiting in line outside in the cold of January. Ick.)

Edit: imagine the reactions if the "BotW-not-at-Launch rumors" are somehow revealed to be false. Then things would get REALLY interesting.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
You can do it!

(Meanwhile, I'm mentally preparing myself for the possibility of waiting in line outside in the cold of January. Ick.)

Edit: imagine the reactions if the "BotW-not-at-Launch rumors" are somehow revealed to be false. Then things would get REALLY interesting.
Don't even joke. I need that game to be delayed just so I can guarantee launch day delivery. All my switch money is tied up in amazon gift cards 😩

Pachimari

The things I want from the presentation are the price tags, reveal of all features like IR sensor and motion control, a look at alternative joy-con controllers, a bigger look at the new Mario and just footage of games.

I hope I can play 1v1 in Splatoon against my niece where it's all about painting the most, and not a bunch of features.

The things I want from the presentation are the price tags, reveal of all features like IR sensor and motion control, a look at alternative joy-con controllers, a bigger look at the new Mario and just footage of games.

I hope I can play 1v1 in Splatoon against my niece where it's all about painting the most, and not a bunch of features.

I know there's a rumor that 1v1 is added for this new Splatoon port for on the go. Is there a rumor that the joy cons have gyro control?

Pachimari

Didn't Laura or one of those other two sources say that the Switch comes with motion control? Or will it only be for pointing?

Because I want to be able to play something like Wii Bowling with motion controls.

EloquentM

aka Mannny

they already basically said they were blowing their load Jan 12/13

What would be the ideal place to pre-order the Switch and not have it be delayed in shipment?

I was thinking Amazon.
if you can get a preorder in. I'm confident we'll be fine but classic NES scares me ={

Lol I just had a funny idea.

What if they made a U shaped joy con? You connect the U shaped joy con upside down to the Switch tablet and now you can carry it around like handle on the Gamecube!

Wasn't there a U shaped controller patent?

Nintendo-horseshoe-controller.png

Yes connect that to the Switch tablet and now you can literally carry the Switch around on your shoulder like a purse or hold it like a briefcase.

sorry I'm being an idiot right now lol

atbigelow

Didn't Laura or one of those other two sources say that the Switch comes with motion control? Or will it only be for pointing?

Because I want to be able to play something like Wii Bowling with motion controls.

I think you can absolutely count on an acceleromotor and gyroscope being inside. Not sure if they'll be inside the JoyCon mount or Pro controller, though.

Pachimari

they already basically said they were blowing their load Jan 12/13
I know this.

I think you can absolutely count on an acceleromotor and gyroscope being inside. Not sure if they'll be inside the JoyCon mount or Pro controller, though.
It would be stupid to have it in the Pro controller as I want motion control for Wii Sports bowling primarily. Hopefully the joy-cons have similar motion controls to the Wii remote.

I know this.

It would be stupid to have it in the Pro controller as I want motion control for Wii Sports bowling primarily. Hopefully the joy-cons have similar motion controls to the Wii remote.

It better had be in the pro controller, no motion in the wii u pro controller was one of the most short sighted decisions nintendo made

atbigelow

I know this.

Well it isn't all about you, is it?

An acc+gyro inside each JoyCon might be feasible, but they'd need to make sure it was power and space efficient enough. Depends on how electronically complicated each is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom