• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordKano

Well it isn't all about you, is it?

An acc+gyro inside each JoyCon might be feasible, but they'd need to make sure it was power and space efficient enough. Depends on how electronically complicated each is.

Gyro costs and consumes next to nothing. Why it wasn't in the Pro controller will always be a mystery to me.

Pachimari

Well it isn't all about you, is it?

An acc+gyro inside each JoyCon might be feasible, but they'd need to make sure it was power and space efficient enough. Depends on how electronically complicated each is.
I didn't imply that and I find your tone a little bit rude. But never mind that, I just expressed what I want to see in the Switch. Of course it would be nice to have it in the Pro controller too for aiming and such, but I primarily want it in the joy-cons for swinging my arms around.

Or now that I think about it, just support the Wii remote really.

Speely

Banned
Gyro costs and consumes next to nothing. Why it wasn't in the Pro controller will always be a mystery to me.

Yeah I am thinking that gyro will be in the Switch Pro. If Splatoon is indeed a launch bundle game and Nintendo wants to sell Pros, it would just make sense... not to mention that in general, all control methods should support all types of input the games use.

I've decided, I'm taking both days off. Both to see the presentation and bask in the information afterwards, and also so I can rush down to my GameStop and get in the first order

If I don't get one the first day I will riot

atbigelow

I didn't imply that and I find your tone a little bit rude. But never mind that, I just expressed what I want to see in the Switch. Of course it would be nice to have it in the Pro controller too for aiming and such, but I primarily want it in the joy-cons for swinging my arms around.

Or now that I think about it, just support the Wii remote really.

Sorry, wasn't a good joke. My bad.

I totally understand the desire to allow independent JoyCon motion controls. Would probably be quite cool; and I am pretty sure that's exactly how Ubisoft is gonna do Just Dance on the Switch. Each player uses a JoyCon.

Question then is: how will they support more than two players? I am betting against supporting Wii remotes, so they'll need to let you pair something else that is easy to hold.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I've decided, I'm taking both days off. Both to see the presentation and bask in the information afterwards, and also so I can rush down to my GameStop and get in the first order

If I don't get one the first day I will riot
You're a stronger person than I am
very stingy with vacation hours even though I have a ton

Sorry, wasn't a good joke. My bad.

I totally understand the desire to allow independent JoyCon motion controls. Would probably be quite cool; and I am pretty sure that's exactly how Ubisoft is gonna do Just Dance on the Switch. Each player uses a JoyCon.

Question then is: how will they support more than two players? I am betting against supporting Wii remotes, so they'll need to let you pair something else that is easy to hold.

You'll be able to use extra joy cons and i think rumours suggest wii remotes will be supported

I'm a little lucky in being that Thursday and Friday are my days off. So I'll be home ready with my popcorn no matter what.

But I assume most people will be ready considering it's more than likely going to happen evening when everybody is off of work.

Big dilemma for me. I would go to work early, but I always stay late on Thursdays because they bring free pizza to the office in the evening. I could always just take a break at work to watch the conference, but I know it's not just the conference I'm interested in, it's the conference + the Gaf impressions. I know I won't be able to get back to work when threads will be moving at warp speed.

I think I may make an exception and not stay for pizza.

I've heard same from my sources. Obv I can't share who they are.

No worries! I should have been more direct in that. I meant to ask that specific user for the examples they've read. I don't expect anyone with sources to share who those sources are.

MoonFrog

I will be out of school, awaiting my Master's, which I expect in February, and applying to the last couple PhD programs at that point. So I'll have the day 'off.'

What I hope is that first Switch and then Persona 5 are good ways to drown in my rejection sorrows come March and April :p.

Hawk269

The one thing about the Switch for my personal use is that I never play portable and have no need for it to be a portable device. I have a separate game room set up, so it's not like if my wife is using the TV I cannot game. I wish there was a non-screen version of Switch for those that have no need for a portable device. A lot of cost is invested in that screen and it would be nice, but I know not possible that a non-screen Switch would be made. I know I may be in the minority and I am still getting it regardless, but for me it is a feature of the Switch that I will never use outside of trying it out at least once.

I, for one, would love to see Nidhogg on the Switch. So does its developer.

What do you guys think? Also, some shitty little mockups.

kCfy0O2.png

PWJqnVo.png

-shadow-

Yeah, seems like it would be a missed opportunity to not add motion controls to the pro controller
You had to tie a wii mote with a shoelace to play with gyro on Splatoon
I'm still trying to wrap my mind around how a professional game developer, game publisher and console maker had the sheer nerve to okay this. Just look at it...

2875204-2546845048-tumbl.jpg

Look at it!?

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around how a professional game developer, game publisher and console maker had the sheer nerve to okay this. Just look at it...

2875204-2546845048-tumbl.jpg

Look at it!?

It wasn't an official control scheme by any means, but it's still funny that they made a nod to it in-game.

If anything, I praise their inventiveness to mimic the GamePad by MacGyvering that.

My Switch reveal first world problem is that I'll be on a cruise and unsure if I'll have access to wifi, or at least free, reliable wifi. Also my wife might not want to waste 3 or so hours stuck in our cabin...

And I'm likely gonna miss whenever preorders open... Sigh. I'll figure something out.

keakster

How long would you think the presentation would last for? Like an hour and a half or 2?

I'm thinking 45 minutes. Have they ever had a Direct go longer than that? I'm imaging that we are going to get quick hits on software then some longer spotlights on the hardware and built in features. In depth game footage will come from the media hands on event on the 13th

AdanVC

One month left for the event and 4 months left for Switch's release... I really want to freeze myself a-la Cartman right now. Unfreeze on January 12th, do the preorder and then freeze again till March, hahah.

That means IntelliHeath will start the gif countdown for the event tomorrow?? Those are hype :D

DMONKUMA

I'm thinking 45 minutes. Have they ever had a Direct go longer than that? I'm imaging that we are going to get quick hits on software then some longer spotlights on the hardware and built in features. In depth game footage will come from the media hands on event on the 13th

2 hours would be 2 long. Should be like 45 mins then we watch the tree house or demos.

I'm thinking minimum an hour. Not getting my hopes up for any longer than that.

Knowing Nintendo, I'd say an hour or less.

Ah ok. I'm just hoping for new game announcements that weren't "rumored" .

keakster

Ah ok. I'm just hoping for new game announcements that weren't "rumored" .

I'm sure we'll get some surprises, but I just don't think there will be much time spent on individual games. Definitely looking forward to the sizzle reel of unprecedented support though

Interesting gif I found on Reddit. Its a screenc cap of the frame before undocking on Fallon, and then the first screen of the tablet before any inputs, adjisted for the camera angle.

Looks like, for Zelda at least, there are not graphical changes other than resolution when going from docked to undocked.

9rgwykeic03y.gif

Baleoce

So in terms of retail presence, since we know it's cartridge sized media, do we think retail boxes are going to be sized like 3ds/vita or ps4/Xbox one? And does it even matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom