• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of you think this presentation will only be 45 minutes?

I'm expecting 2 hours presentation.

I think we're in for a long one too. They have to introduce us to a console they've told us virtually nothing about that will launch in 3 months from the time of this event. A lot of beans will be spilled on that day.

Baleoce

I think we're in for a long one too. They have to introduce us to a console they've told us virtually nothing about that will launch in 3 months from the time of this event. A lot of beams will be spilled on that day.

I'm expecting a full spec and feature blowout along with a launch and VC lineup. I also realise that I shouldn't expect so much.

Vash63

Interesting gif I found on Reddit. Its a screenc cap of the frame before undocking on Fallon, and then the first screen of the tablet before any inputs, adjisted for the camera angle.

Looks like, for Zelda at least, there are not graphical changes other than resolution when going from docked to undocked.

9rgwykeic03y.gif

I would imagine most developers will limit changes to resolution or postprocessing so that they don't need to design two sets of LODs or have to load/unload resources on the fly.

Kevin

It would be cool if Nintendo made an entire day-long event of the Switch. Showing off the hardware, accessories, pricing, game lineup, etc and had a bunch of play time and discussions about the whole thing throughout the day. Like a Treehouse event or something. I mean the system will be due out just two months from then. Time to blow the lid off this thing in full.

vern

I don't have any clue what they'll show at their presentation, but I would expect that most people, even those with pretty robust expectations, will be pleasantly surprised by the amount of support from 3rd parties and the number of games that are currently being planned. People that expect Wii U level of support are in for a rude awakening ( at least at in the early going... if the thing flops all bets are off).

Seemed like Doctre81 heard something about Rockstar and Nintendo

Who is Doctre?

I want Rocket League for Switch! God I don't think I'll ever stop if that's the case! Will just have to figure out how to make my phone a wifi access point. Psyonix didn't happen to be in that developers list did it?

Seemed like Doctre81 heard something about Rockstar and Nintendo

Where did you see this?

Edit. Apparently he's a YouTuber and he does say he has some information regarding Rockstar and hints at it being about Switch support. Not familiar with him or his credibility though.

Neoxon

It would be cool if Nintendo made an entire day-long event of the Switch. Showing off the hardware, accessories, pricing, game lineup, etc and had a bunch of play time and discussions about the whole thing throughout the day. Like a Treehouse event or something. I mean the system will be due out just two months from then. Time to blow the lid off this thing in full.
That's what the January event is for.

NateDrake

I'm expecting a full spec and feature blowout along with a launch and VC lineup. I also realise that I shouldn't expect so much.

I wouldn't expect a spec blowout, but details of the launch lineup and some titles beyond the launch window is expected. Virtual Console will probably be touched upon to some extent. Pricing, launch date, and things such as that should also be fully disclosed. Other details like specs and such can be given by press release following the event.

More will come once media gets time with the hardware and software. I hope it's a short presentation because I wouldn't want to sit there for 2hrs waiting to get my hands-on the device.

Where did you see this?

Edit. Apparently he's a YouTuber and he does say he has some information regarding Rockstar and hints at it being about Switch support. Not familiar with him or his credibility though.
No he didn't. People are reading into that video a bit too much. He didn't say much of anything. Just that Rockstar blocked him on Twitter after asking about NX support.

I don't have any clue what they'll show at their presentation, but I would expect that most people, even those with pretty robust expectations, will be pleasantly surprised by the amount of support from 3rd parties and the number of games that are currently being planned. People that expect Wii U level of support are in for a rude awakening ( at least at in the early going... if the thing flops all bets are off).

If Switch can deliver on its promise, software support should be strong. It's clear that it'll have impressive support during the opening months, but sales will dictate if such support remains on the platform. Topping Wii U shouldn't take much effort.

Some of you think this presentation will only be 45 minutes?

I'm expecting 2 hours presentation.

Seriously doubt it. Nintendo designs their video presentations to be easily digestible & shareable on social media these days.

When was the last time Nintendo did a spec blowout? 1995?

Don't think they'll spend a lot of time on VC. They might mention the systems it supports and an upgrade path, but their VC team seems to be so bare bones I doubt they even know what'll be available day one. And they'll want the focus of their messaging to be on the new, and 3rd party support, not on the old - though hopefully the thirst for the NES Classic means they know VC has been an undervalued asset throughout the Wii U era.

Roo

Yeah, seems like it would be a missed opportunity to not add motion controls to the pro controller
You had to tie a wii mote with a shoelace to play with gyro on Splatoon

It shouldn't be too much to ask but we'll see.

I will ask.
I see, thanks.
I mean, I can wait a month but it'd be nice to know if the controller will have those features as well.

It will be a short presentation, followed by 10 hours of Treehouse live-play and guest speakers.

GAF be like

Yi0S_R.gif

Seriously doubt it. Nintendo designs their video presentations to be easily digestible & shareable on social media these days.

When was the last time Nintendo did a spec blowout? 1995?

Don't think they'll spend a lot of time on VC. They might mention the systems it supports and an upgrade path, but their VC team seems to be so bare bones I doubt they even know what'll be available day one. And they'll want the focus of their messaging to be on the new, and 3rd party support, not on the old - though hopefully the thirst for the NES Classic means they know VC has been an undervalued asset throughout the Wii U era.

They're not doing a video presentation. It's a live event. Maybe two hours is too long, but either it's short and hits all the points with Treehouse to hype it up or it's atleast an hour and 15 minutes with good hype to it.

Andyliini

Now that Iwata is no more, who should do the official unboxing video, like Iwata did for Wii U? I sure will be disappointed if no such video will be made this time.

NateDrake

They're not doing a video presentation. It's a live event. Maybe two hours is too long, but either it's short and hits all the points with Treehouse to hype it up or it's atleast an hour and 15 minutes with good hype to it.

It's likely an hr in length. The 3DS and Wii U pre-launch events that detailed launch lineup, launch date, pricing, etc... each ranged about 60mins in length. Could be go a bit longer but 1hr is a lot of time to cover things.

I wonder how this will be done in the west. Will we be watching the JP conference, but with an English translator like the mobile conference (which ironically is where Iwata announced the NX at in the first place)?

I'd love to see Kimishima speak English like Iwata did (he was President of NOA for 4 years IIRC, I would think he can).

ASIS

It's likely an hr in length. The 3DS and Wii U pre-launch events that detailed launch lineup, launch date, pricing, etc... each ranged about 60mins in length. Could be go a bit longer but 1hr is a lot of time to cover things.
If I could dream, they would do three conferences:

First day is hardware info + pricing and all that + third party multiplatform titles (let's face it there won't be that many). Length: one hour

Second day is focused on remasters. Length: 30-40 minutes

Last day is focused on new exclusives. Length: 20-30 minutes depending on the number of software titles.

I would die if they did something like this.

Terrell

So how am I going to be able to carry around these game carts in the least embarrassing way possible?

I'd hope the actual game cases will be small enough that you can take them on the go with you. I mean smaller than 3DS cases, even.

But an alternate answer: Buy your games digitally.

MuchoMalo

Banned
So how am I going to be able to carry around these game carts in the least embarrassing way possible?

Fanny pack

I'd hope the actual game cases will be small enough that you can take them on the go with you. I mean smaller than 3DS cases, even.

But an alternate answer: Buy your games digitally.

Don't count on that, due to perception issues if they're too small. People looking at tiny boxes will wonder why it costs $60.

Terrell

Don't count on that, due to perception issues if they're too small. People looking at tiny boxes will wonder why it costs $60.

We're at a point where we're buying content without any physical packaging at all and asking for our $700 digital appliances to be smaller and smaller. Pretty sure we've broken through this psychological barrier of "small means I get less" where we're spending our money on something that we don't even get a physical receipt for.

EVH

I hope we get some info about the network and online capabilities. Pisses me off that no leaker had any insight about that.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I hope we get some info about the network and online capabilities. Pisses me off that no leaker had any insight about that.

Don't most leaks come from third party developers, and if on the rare occasion it's from Nintendo themselves, it's usually a non development department like marketing.

No need to get angry about it, especially with only a month to go till the the conference.

Pasedo

Question. I think people are saying that the Switch connects to the dock via Usb C. Why aren't we thinking that this is Thunderbolt. In which case doesn't this open up possibilities like dual graphics, or additional RAM etc because of the super fast transfer speeds between the Switch and Dock?

Don't most leaks come from third party developers, and if on the rare occasion it's from Nintendo themselves, it's usually a non development department like marketing.

No need to get angry about it, especially with only a month to go till the the conference.

I mean we've gotten leaks about Mario (3D and Kart), Smash, Splatoon, and Zelda at this point. That's pretty much all Nintendo.

atbigelow

Question. I think people are saying that the Switch connects to the dock via Usb C. Why aren't we thinking that this is Thunderbolt. In which case doesn't this open up possibilities like dual graphics, or additional RAM etc because of the super fast transfer speeds between the Switch and Dock?

Primarily because of who owns and uses Thunderbolt: Intel. You can count the number of non-Intel boards/chipsets that use it (excluding Apple devices) with zero hands.

If the Switch's Type-C is USB 3.1, that's plenty of bandwidth to do what it needs to do. I'd suggest throwing the idea of an external GPU or RAM out the window.

Pasedo

So couldn't Nintendo have also partnered with Intel to implement Thunderbolt on to the main board? I'm thinking Razor Core extra graphics box. If Nintendo provides details in Jan the the connector is Thunderbolt but nothing else, It will make me wonder whether there is additional graphics power in the dock because what else could they want to use it for. Fun to speculate.

Thunderbolt requires an Intel chip and/or partnership. Nvidia doesn't have the goods

So couldn't Nintendo have also partnered with Intel to implement Thunderbolt on to the main board? I'm thinking Razor Core extra graphics box. If Nintendo provides details in Jan the the connector is Thunderbolt but nothing else, It will make me wonder whether there is additional graphics power in the dock because what else could they want to use it for. Fun to speculate.
This isn't sounding very likely to me

What makes you think Nintendo would go for a thunderbolt connection? They want to keep costs down.

I think they'll manage.

I think I have very high expectations. Nintendo hasn't done a live conference in forever so you never know how Kimishima may want to do things. As long as we get to see a lot of games I'll be happy, especially Retro Studios and 3D Mario.

Pasedo

Perhaps Nintendo is leveraging the Nvidia Intel relationship and together with manufacturing at scale the cost would come down. Most gamers prefer the Nvidia Intel combination. Could be a way to attract the serious gamer. Also with dual graphics capabilities wouldn't porting from Ps4 or Xbone be easier? I'd like to think Nintendo learnt from the Wii U and is doing everything they can to make it easier for third parties.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I dont know about you guys, but ive actually been constantly thinking about the next console after NS, like the switch concept is on a relative level new and fresh and such...but where does nintendo go from here...will the next console also be like the switch except just more powerful? Or will they have to come up with a whole new gimmick or concept so it wont feel stale but also keep the switch concept assuming its successful.

I dont know about you guys, but ive actually been constantly thinking about the next console after NS, like the switch concept is on a relative level new and fresh and such...but where does nintendo go from here...will the next console also be like the switch except just more powerful? Or will they have to come up with a whole new gimmick or concept so it wont feel stale but also keep the switch concept assuming its successful.

Haven't given it any thought to be honest, I think the portable console concept is here to stay but I'm unsure how they'll innovate on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom