• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch is Nintendo's new starting point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jubenhimer

I know you're reading the title and asking what this could possibly mean. In which case, let me explain.

The Nintendo Switch takes a piece of DNA from each video game platform Nintendo has released. From the 2 Controllers of the Famicom, to the portability of the Game Boy, to the motion and touch controls of the Wii and DS, and everything in between. But one system in that long line of inspiration seems to be the pony Nintendo's betting the Switch on being the most, the Famicom. Both it and the Switch seem to have a few things in common. They come with 2 controllers built-in, and were built using commonly used, off-the-shelf chipsets (and thus were made easy for developers to program for).

But the main thing they both have in common, is that they seem to mark a new starting point for Nintendo's software development. At the time of the Famicom, Nintendo was still relatively new to the gaming industry, and were trying to find a cohesive identity as a developer. Mario had just barely become the company mascot, and many of the creators and artists we know today like Shigeru Miyamoto and Yoshio Sakamoto were still fairly new to the company. As such, Nintendo did a lot of throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks. We saw a lot of games from Nintendo's in-house studios that you wouldn't normally associate with Nintendo. A lot of Sports games, Mach Rider, The Famicom Detective series, Wild Gunman, StarTropics, Urban Champion, Clu Clu Land, Joy-Mech Fight, hell, it was the starting point for Nintendo's lesser known properties like Kid Icarus, and was where Metroid, Fire Emblem, and Nintendo Wars (Advance Wars essentially) were born. Fire Emblem and Advance Wars were largely developed by Nintendo R&D 1, since Intelligent Systems at the time was nothing more than just a guy hired by Nintendo to assist programming.

This brings us to the Switch. Nintendo has restructured it's in-house development, and much of the old guard from the Famicom and Super Famicom era are taking a back seat, leaving the N64 and onward era stars like Yoshiaki Koizumi, along young and upcoming developers and directors to call the shots. With new ideas like 1-2 Switch and ARMS, as well as bold new directions for long standing properties like The Legend of Zelda and Super Mario. Nintendo probably sees the Switch as an opportunity to start fresh with their first party games.

Now, I know what some of you are going to say, and yes, Nintendo has always dabbled in New IPs and concepts, even during their more creatively weak consoles like the Wii U. But the Switch is possibly the first time since the 80s that Nintendo has decided to hit really hit the reset button, and drastically re-invent itself as a game developer, while still adhering to their core values. So I'm excited to see where they go next.

Op, there's nothing that unique about Nintendo's Switch output. Mario Kart 8 is a freaking Wii U port. Splatoon is Splatoon. Breath of the Wild is a big change, but you're forgetting that Zelda also made the jump from 2D -> 3D.

Neiteio

In terms of the public image they're targeting, I just want to know which Reggie will show up at E3.

Are we back to 2004-era "IMMA BOUT KICKIN ASS, TAKIN NAMES" Edgy Reggie (
______Edggie______
), or will it still be watery-eyed/soft-spoken Gentle Reggie, where the camera slowly zooms in on him as he talks with his hands about the Nintendo in all of us.

This is important.

(Edgy Reggie, it should be noted, still showed up briefly during the Smash Invitational, although his threats were hollow and no butt-kicking took place.)

again with this.. sighs

Switch largely remains unproven in my eyes.. talk to me this time next year
2yq49duvbg2zb3ausy3ttq5pj.320x240x52.gif

Splatoon is a really good new IP that shows that Nintendo can still make new franchises people go crazy over.
Zelda's feels new again as well which is great showing that they can reinvent their old ones.
Mario Odyssey looks great and is returning to its 3D roots which is pretty exciting.
ARMS, a new IP very early on in the generation, sounds like it's a quality title with great new characters (though we'll have to wait and see).
They're also pushing their recently created franchises like Xenoblade and Splatoon with sequels early on as well.
Coolest thing is that there doesn't seem to be a 2D game in the line up which is something Nintendo has held on to for quite a bit especially on 3DS and Wii U.
They also have a lot of stuff within the first 9 months which is fairly exciting. This seems more like the Nintendo I've been wanting to see and the hardware being good also helps in that regard.

The Switch is a paradigm shift in gaming unlike any other ever seen before. Hopefully Nintendo will get some a Nobel Prize or something so that their enlightenment can truly be acknowledged outside of places like NeoGAF.

I feel blessed to be living in the age of the Nintendo Switch™.

Stevey

Switch is the best thing ever and every genre is a perfect fit for it.
Videogames didn't really start until the Switch released.

Trace

Banned
Truly the Switch is the enlightened console for enlightened game owners that are discerning in both tastes and appearances.

Let us bow down and pray.

Neiteio

To try and get this thread on topic, I do think there's a perfect storm of sorts taking place, where Nintendo is able to frontload the Switch with really good games that are either enhanced from WiiU or were withheld from WiiU in the first place. And their devs are consolidated in a way that could be favorable to the system, at some point, although resources continue to be devoted to the 3DS (and understandably so: the install base is massive, and development costs comparably lower). And the Switch itself is a premium-feeling product that just feels cool, and that's quickly connecting with people.

It's a promising start. Now if only they could create enough supply to meet demand.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
You can palpably feel the point at which most people finished Zelda on this forum, huh.

The Switch is the first time since the 80's that Nintendo has decided to reinvent themselves? I read your whole post and I'm not sure what this statement means, on any level. How have they reinvented themselves? Even if they have, how are you forgetting the Wii? A console that sold to millions of people who probably never owned a console before in their lives.

The Switch is a neat piece of kit but it's not the messiah.

DMONKUMA

If Nintendo starts pumping out a lot of new major IPs like Splatoon and Arms, but also starts to revisit old franchises and rethink conventions similiar to Breath of the Wild then I would be inclined to agree with you.

You know what's even worse? People complaining about the people complaining about them

;)

You know what's even worse? People who complain about those who complain about the original complainers. Complaining is a flat circle and I've now typed complain enough times that it doesn't seem like a real word anymore.

- Nintendo™

I think OP is talking more about Nintendo's software output more than "OMG, Switch is the best!!!1!"
Not sure how many people actually read it.
It's a change that started before Switch launched, but you'll probably noticed more starting this year.

At this point this thread needs to be closed because it seems like there are some people that can't contain their salt over threads talking about Switch.

JeTmAn81

To try and get this thread on topic, I do think there's a perfect storm of sorts taking place, where Nintendo is able to frontload the Switch with really good games that are either enhanced from WiiU or were withheld from WiiU in the first place. And their devs are consolidated in a way that could be favorable to the system, at some point, although resources continue to be devoted to the 3DS (and understandably so: the install base is massive, and development costs comparably lower). And the Switch itself is a premium-feeling product that just feels cool, and that's quickly connecting with people.

It's a promising start. Now if only they could create enough supply to meet demand.

They've got great content, but as strong as Nintendo's staple IP's are, they're not enough to drive huge adoption rates in the console market. The kind of games that come out for Nintendo systems just aren't enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom