• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Modder Who Refused to Shut Down Going to Court Against Nintendo Without a Lawyer

StueyDuck

Man has watched too many movies.

You don't just shout objection and catch the prosecutor with a whataboutism and the jury falls in love with you 🤣.

If Nintendo felt that they would in any way lose they would settle

Last edited:

Davevil

Late October Surprise
tank-man-tiananmen-historia-foto-1559634979.jpg

FeralEcho

Good,since Nintendo loves lawsuits so much lets see how they actually love burning through some money on one as well,instead of tippy toeing in the middle of the night like a little b*tch settling things behind the public eye. I hope more and more people rise up to their shit.

Even if he doesn't win,I commend this modder for standing his ground. And in the end,if more people do this,it'll show not everyone is afraid of the big bad Nintendo wolf,maybe that will make them think twice before bullying everyone with a pulse with lawsuits since on one of those rare ocasions they might actually lose.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Yup, that was my first thought. Has nothing left to lose so fuck it; waste everyone's time and make Nintendo burn some money on lawyers dealing with this shit. Because they still have to take it seriously and do it right.
But they will MAKE SURE it is a costly loss to him... Will they not?

SaintALia

Modding the consoles is completely legal, if he’s selling pirated roms and they can prove that point it’s a different picture.
No it isn't. Depends on the types of modifications he's doing.

With the law around gaming being so nebulous due to the DMCA and other copyright laws, and people just doing stuff with no real repercussions, I think people just accepted that certain things are perfectly fine because there have been no significant legal repurcussions. Which works in gamers favour. If it's nebulous and the law rarely cracks down, it leaves gamers and enthusiasts with a lot of wiggle room. Unfortunately, when things are challenged and if they go in favour fo the corporations(which they usually will), it sets precedent.

So dumbasses with big egos can typically crash the party more often than not. Because if someone were to truly challenge this, they'd need a team of lawyers, lots of money and lots of time to fight it. Unfortunately we get an idiot who'll give Nintendo the win on a silver platter.

Komatsu

Nintendo made some very big claims in their initial suit that will very likely struggle mightily to prove in court - such as the assertion that the defendant was “bundling” pirate games with his installs, a practice his website specifically called out as something the company did not do.

Last edited:

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
Get some. Every person has a line and my assumption is this gamer gent found his. We all die on a hill somewhere out there.

Yup, that was my first thought. Has nothing left to lose so fuck it; waste everyone's time and make Nintendo burn some money on lawyers dealing with this shit. Because they still have to take it seriously and do it right.

Baby Hat GIF by MOODMAN
I am pretty sure that Nintendo legal department lawyers are employees… Also paying for flight tickets and hotels to go to court (at least the court is in the city of the guy) is a lot of money for one guy vs a billionaire company…

Last edited:

SaintALia

Completely legal in plenty of countries that aren’t ’the USA’
Again it depends. Rarely anything is 'completely' when it comes to copyright law, or just law in general really, everything comes with an asterisk. And sometimes something completely mundane and seemingly insubstantial can trip up a court case and be a gotcha moment for the plaintiff or defense because that one thing does fall under some law that swings in whoever's favour.

But every country runs under their own flag of copyright law, so who knows what can happen in each country, but it really depends on how this dude was doing his mods which can screw him over in court. But considering that he's going solo in a court against Nintendo, I'm guessing he's completely fucked and has not even a prayer. Even with an airtight CANNOT FAIL case, you never do this.

Top Bottom