• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo to revise Earnings Forecast and Meet the Press

Nintendo Had 46 Billion Yen Profit on Weaker Yen; Sales Decline
October 4, 2004 03:14 EDT -- Nintendo Co., the world's biggest maker of handheld game machines, said it had a first-half profit as the yen weakened against the dollar and euro. The company rebounded from a loss a year earlier.

Nintendo Expects 84 Billion Yen Full-Year Profit (Correct)
October 4, 2004 03:06 EDT -- Nintendo Co., the world's biggest maker of handheld game machines, said it expects 84 billion yen ($759 million) group net income in the year ending March 31.

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=conews&tkr=7974:JP

mj1108

Oct. 4 (Bloomberg) -- Nintendo Co., the world's biggest maker of handheld game machines, said it had a first-half profit as the yen weakened against the dollar and euro. The company rebounded from a loss a year earlier.

Group net income was about 46 billion yen ($416 million) in the six months ended Sept. 30, compared with a 2.89 billion yen loss a year earlier. Sales fell 12.5 percent to 185 billion yen from 211.4 billion yen previously.

Nintendo announced the preliminary earnings in a Tokyo Stock Exchange release. The Kyoto-based company formally reports earnings at a later date.

AniHawk

mj1108 said:

Oct. 4 (Bloomberg) -- Nintendo Co., the world's biggest maker of handheld game machines, said it had a first-half profit as the yen weakened against the dollar and euro. The company rebounded from a loss a year earlier.

Group net income was about 46 billion yen ($416 million) in the six months ended Sept. 30, compared with a 2.89 billion yen loss a year earlier. Sales fell 12.5 percent to 185 billion yen from 211.4 billion yen previously.

Nintendo announced the preliminary earnings in a Tokyo Stock Exchange release. The Kyoto-based company formally reports earnings at a later date.

Ah, that's more like it.

EDIT: Wait, WHAT IS GOING ON!?

snapty00

Banned
Good grief. That news article makes it sound like Nintendo won't be going bankrupt or anything. I want my fucking money back.

Kon Tiki

Banned
snapty00 said:
Good grief. That news article makes it sound like Nintendo won't be going bankrupt or anything. I want my fucking money back.
Do not worry. They will still be making crappy games for awhile.

Kseutron

Sho Nuff said:
press02.jpg

"But wait -- if we didn't call the meeting... who did?"

0,1311,i=65435,00.gif

"Fools! The trap has been set. Unleash the beast."

ballmer.jpg

"GRAAAAAAAAGHLLLLGHGLGDEVELOPERSGAAAAAAAAARH!"

OMG :lol:

fugimax

Sales are down year to date from last year.

Yen is weak.

The weak yen is enough to offset the weak sales due to the large profit Nintendo makes abroad (US,EU).

AniHawk

So Nintendo makes $416 million in six months, and expect another $343 million in the six months until March.

Gotcha.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
fugimax said:
Sales are down year to date from last year.

Yen is weak.

The weak yen is enough to offset the weak sales due to the large profit Nintendo makes abroad (US,EU).

The yen is smoking the dollar in the face right now. Obviously the dollar is much stronger, but the yen has made INSANELY huge gains on it in the past year thanks to our shit economy.

GhaleonEB said:
Nintendo released it all in one shot. People here are focusing on the good news. Just trying to paint a fuller picture.....

We didn't get the news from Nintendo first though, did we? So the bananas are justified when you realize we didn't have all the info.

I don't care personally, I just thought it was a ittle silly to make fun, and intend a flame war over something that was messed up in the first place. Basically, when people don't get all the information, it is not unlikely they'll react to what they've read as opposed to what all is there.

EDIT was unnecessary then.

explodet

GhaleonEB made an honest mistake.

Anyway, speaking of Reuters:

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=6401529

Japanese game maker Nintendo Co. Ltd. (7974.OS: Quote, Profile, Research) raised its earnings estimates for the year to March 2005 on Monday, citing strong demand for its GameCube console and software titles for its handheld GameBoy Advance and currency gains.

Nintendo, known for games featuring characters such as Mario, Donkey Kong and Pokemon, said it now expected group net profit of 84 billion yen ($758.9 million) for the year to March 2005, compared with its May forecast of 70 billion yen.

It also raised its net profit estimate for the April-September first half to 46 billion yen from an original 25 billion yen.

The Osaka-based game maker said foreign-exchange gains of 36 billion yen will also help raise profit.

Nintendo reassesses the value of its $5 billion of dollar-denominated assets at the end of every accounting period to account for prevailing exchange rates.

It based the latest earnings estimates on a dollar-yen rate of 110 yen. It had previously assumed an exchange rate or 105 yen to the dollar.

GhaleonEB

DarthWufei said:
Glad that's settled. I apolgize then, Ghaleon. I wasn't entire sure what was up myself.

That's cool - just FYI you won't see me trolling any threads. I usually jump in to add something else I found, but I'm pretty neutral towards Nintendo - never had one of their systems (hand held or console) but I don't have anything against them either.

Me, I'm a Bungie fanboy myself.... :D

Dyne

Sho Nuff said:
press02.jpg

"But wait -- if we didn't call the meeting... who did?"

0,1311,i=65435,00.gif

"Fools! The trap has been set. Unleash the beast."

ballmer.jpg

"GRAAAAAAAAGHLLLLGHGLGDEVELOPERSGAAAAAAAAARH!"

I know it's late in the thread, but that was lethal! I'm crying! :lol

GhaleonEB said:
That's cool - just FYI you won't see me trolling any threads. I usually jump in to add something else I found, but I'm pretty neutral towards Nintendo - never had one of their systems (hand held or console) but I don't have anything against them either.

Me, I'm a Bungie fanboy myself.... :D

Yes we can see that......
greenownedpurple.gif

j/k

Japanese game maker Nintendo Co. Ltd. (7974.OS: Quote, Profile, Research) raised its earnings estimates for the year to March 2005 on Monday, citing strong demand for its GameCube console and software titles for its handheld GameBoy Advance and currency gains.

Nintendo, known for games featuring characters such as Mario, Donkey Kong and Pokemon, said it now expected group net profit of 84 billion yen ($758.9 million) for the year to March 2005, compared with its May forecast of 70 billion yen.

It also raised its net profit estimate for the April-September first half to 46 billion yen from an original 25 billion yen.

The Osaka-based game maker said foreign-exchange gains of 36 billion yen will also help raise profit.

Nintendo reassesses the value of its $5 billion of dollar-denominated assets at the end of every accounting period to account for prevailing exchange rates.

It based the latest earnings estimates on a dollar-yen rate of 110 yen. It had previously assumed an exchange rate or 105 yen to the dollar.

everyone. SELL YOUR XBOXES. ITS OVER!!!

mob114_1077755796.jpg

Eric-GCA

Banned
What?!? You mean Nintendo's not going third party??!?! Teh nos!

Heh, figured this was the case, now I'll be waiting for the DS conference this week.

Miburou

Osaka, Kyoto, what's the difference? Them Japanese cities all sound the same.

Eric-GCA

Banned
Kyoto, Osaka, Tokyo, distance-wise aren't they all pretty darn close to eachother anyways. One has to remember that Japan is a very small country.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Eric-GCA said:
Kyoto, Osaka, Tokyo, distance-wise aren't they all pretty darn close to eachother anyways. One has to remember that Japan is a very small country.

My long ass bus-ride from Kyoto to Tokyo says otherwise ^_^

But yeah, the Kyoto/Osaka ride is quite the shorter. Still, they're both big cities, mistakes like that shouldn't be made.

ge-man

Eric-GCA said:

That doesn't matter though--it's still a very silly mistake for a professional writer to make.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
"It based the latest earnings estimates on a dollar-yen rate of 110 yen. It had previously assumed an exchange rate or 105 yen to the dollar."

There's a spelling error too, it should be of not or...

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
ge-man said:
That doesn't matter though--it's still a very silly mistake for a professional writer to make.
Nah, this is internet news, stuff like that is common. They get it up as soon as possible and then get it right in the fourth or fifth revision. This isn't printed news, where you need to be accurate before you publish.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Chesapeake Silt said:
They should start putting that in press releases. Whether or not they're doomed. It would make these threads more efficient.
:lol
I can just imagine the PR

'We regret to announce that recent sales decline have resulted in Nintendo's d00m'

Top Bottom