• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nishigaki dead (creator of Blue Stinger, Illbleed)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/07/12/news_6100692.html

TOKYO--In news that was largely overlooked in the US, as well as in Japan, Shinya Nishigaki, creator and producer of the Sega Dreamcast titles Blue Stinger and Illbleed has died. Nishigaki died at his home from an apparent heart attack. He was 42 years old. His death was confirmed by a family member and Cavia Incorporated vice-president Masamichi Someno. Mr. Nishigaki had been employed as a producer at Cavia Incorporated in Tokyo, Japan, at the time of his death.

Shompola

Banned
Why would it be a blessing? Blue Stinger and Ilbleed even though flawed were fun and good games IMO. Anyway sad that he died, especially that young.

john tv

That sucks. :(

Me and Mark met that guy back in like... 96? He was really nice to us. He's the one who gave me that copy of Dark Savior with all the foul language in it. :(

john tv

BTW, I wonder if this had anything to do with them literally overworking him to death? I wouldn't be surprised at all...

MarkMacD

edit: n/m, happens

Nishigaki also worked on Landstalker for the Genny (which still stands as one of the top act/RPGs ever imo) and Dark Savior for the Saturn, and was a really nice guy.

Mark

I liked his games :(

...but I think "blessing or curse" wasn't meant the way you guys are taking it, especially given the slant of dudes' games. I could imagine one of the characters from Illbleed or Blue Stinger saying something like that.

Anyways though, that's mad young. RIP

aoi tsuki

john tv said:
That sucks. :(

Me and Mark met that guy back in like... 96? He was really nice to us. He's the one who gave me that copy of Dark Savior with all the foul language in it. :(
Pfft. We all know prison currency is empty bottles, chocolate, and scary magazines!!

Sad that anyone dies this early. Blue Stinger was a great B movie game, and base gameplay was pretty good. i had wished Resident Evil: Code Veronica adopted similar controls when it was released.

Dogs: "If you're from ESER, you must know Tim."
Elliot: "Tim is..."
Dogs: "Tim is what?"
Elliot: "I don't know."
Dogs: "I... don't know. I... don't know?! Is that ESER's answer?"

Gold.

BS and Illbleed were great just for trying to inject a different style into the survival horror genre. They were both more lighter takes on the genre and I thought they worked really well.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
As all ways things like this suck.

The scary thing is that, the videogame industry still being decidedly a young one, we haven't even began to get into the territory of other forms lik Music where icons literally die every year. How many dead game icons can you name off the top of your head?

Gumpei,
Nishigaki,
um......

Romero (;)).

Condolences to all of his friends who may read this.

john tv

belgurdo said:
blessing or curse
dsa.gif

More here: http://www.nokonoko.net/mt/archives/000070.html

miyuru said:
MI @ 42? My guess is he was way overweight and is a smoker.

that's really overgeneralizing (is that a word? probably not.) a bit, innit? Healthy mofos die outta the blue too!

Religious folk would say "it was his time", I guess.

dsf.gif

binary

i loved blue stinger. i even bought a japanese dreamcast to play the game early in april 1999. he will be missed.

miyuru

Saint Cornelius said:
that's really overgeneralizing (is that a word? probably not.) a bit, innit? Healthy mofos die outta the blue too!

lol no it isn't. Trust me, I look at MI patients all day at work. The youngest victim I've seen was a woman at 22, though that was an exception since she had a lot of other things going for her. But a *fatal* MI at 42? I've never run into something like that. I'm not "overgeneralising".

nathkenn

Borg Artiste
man, grabbed a copy of illbleed and played it recently, it was suprisingly fun and much better than i had heard

I loved Blue Stinger...I jumped for joy when I heard they were porting an improved version to Xbox a couple years ago. Well, that never happened now did it. Sad news.

binary

Nishigaki gave an interview to Next Generation magazine back in June 1999 and they had a picture of him in the interview. Sorry for the bad quality of the picture.

Nishigaki.jpg

Che

Banned
Damn that's just sad. Blue Stinger btw had the best explosions I've ever seen in a game. And please stop bashing belgurdo. I've started feeling more sorry for him than for Nishigaki.

fart

Savant
there's a reason you aren't a doctor, med student.

reign in that there ego and you may just make it.

Since he was working for Cavia, does anyone know if they were working on anything since completing Drakengard? As much as that game got bashed I didn't think it was as bad as some made it out to be. It did alot of things right and had a really good story.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
SolidSnakex said:
Since he was working for Cavia, does anyone know if they were working on anything since completing Drakengard? As much as that game got bashed I didn't think it was as bad as some made it out to be. It did alot of things right and had a really good story.

They worked on Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex for the PS2, and also had something to do with the latest Dragon Ball Z fighting game for the GBA. Stand Alone Complex is pretty good for a game based on a license; it could use work (WTF is up with the collision detection during melee?!), but it's a good 3rd person shooter...even has a fun 2P-4P versus mode.

Oh yah GiTS. That's still on track for a November release here in the US so i'll be sure to check it out. Did it turn out as well as the PSone GiTS?

XS+

Banned
In this man's honor, I'll head to the nearest used gaming store and play Blue Stinger since I never tried it before..

I'm guessing he was overworked.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
He also worked on Landstalker? That's my favorite Genesis game. :( I have Dark Savior, but I'm going to buy back Blue Stinger and Illbleed to honor the man.

SolidSnakex said:
Oh yah GiTS. That's still on track for a November release here in the US so i'll be sure to check it out. Did it turn out as well as the PSone GiTS?

IMO not as cool, but still worth checking out.

miyuru

Haha I'm not a med student. I'm just saying, maybe around 95% of MI patients are smokers, or were, and anyone getting a fatal MI at 42, I'd assume to be overweight. It's only logical, but I'm not saying there aren't exceptions! :)

Top Bottom