• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NJPW G1 Climax 27 [OT] It's a Real-Life Tournament Arc!!!!!

pbayne

Done day 3.
ZSJ is a star, impressed how over he''s got in such short time. Big match tana had a great finish. And Makabe/Ishii was what you'd expect just knocked lumps out of each other. Naito match heated up in the last five minutes but i dont think the match itself had much going for it as the whole crowd was behind Naito and never really rallied or believed that Yoshi could win.

Hey guys, sorry I've dropped the ball with the match cards over the last few days, been quite busy with real life shit (going away to the Outer Banks in a week, daughter basically can't go two feet away from either my wife or I without freaking out, etc.)

I promise I'll try and do better over the next few days.

Also DARYL!!!! WHYYYYYYYYYY :(

RIP Daryl 😭🙏

Also, why don't (or maybe they do?) njpw use their non G1 heavyweights or jr weights to participate in the tags so that the tourney dudes can get more rest? It'd be fucked if someone they pegged for a deep tourney run be messed up from a meaningless tag.

Hex

Banned
RIP Daryl ����

Also, why don't (or maybe they do?) njpw use their non G1 heavyweights or jr weights to participate in the tags so that the tourney dudes can get more rest? It'd be fucked if someone they pegged for a deep tourney run be messed up from a meaningless tag.

The tags set up heat for the matches. If you notice the people in the tags always have matches the next event.
Naito and Fale are tonight, and now they have heat.
Omega and Tonga were in a tag the night before which gave them heat where otherwise there was none.
Okada and Elgin squared off
Makabe and Goto had a pull apart last night, guess who have a match tonight.
Even Tanahashi and Nagata had a respectful "see you tomorrow" type moment
It is how they give heat and build without asinine promos and skits that take up half of the event with talking and it does a great job of it.

But in the tag matches it allows them to really take it alot easier and go at their own pace and comfort level.
In the tags, nobody is trying to get match of the night just trying to make fans happy.

Hex

Banned
SO TONIGHT!!!!!
We have...Yoshi Hashi getting tied into knots by Zack Sabre Jr which is always enjoyable.
Hearing him bleating like a sick little goat will make it even more entertaining.

We have Ishii vs Ibushii which will have both of them killing each other and leaving it all in the ring for your entertainment!

We have GOTO vs Togi Makabe in what will be another straight out hoss fight.

We have Yuji Nagata continuing his final run in the G1 taking on Ace Tanahashi whose arm will be a target for Blue Justice!

And we have revenge most foul as Tetsuya Naito goes against the murderer of Daryl Takahashi, The Underboss Bad Luck Fale.

ON THE UNDERCARD!
We have:

Tenzan and Kojima v Kitamura and Elgin

Kawato, Finley and Juice v Desperado, Taichi and Suzuki

Owens and Tonga v Hiromu Takahashi and Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil

Jado and Toru v Kenny Omega and Yujiro

Gedo and Okada v Sanada and Bushi

This is also the last English commentary until mid august if you are one of those

Just finished up night 4. I can't believe some of these guys. We're only on day 4 and some of these matches have been brutal. Jesus.

Here's my top 5 so far:

5. Omega vs. Suzuki – Great selling from Omega and I loved how the knee injury played into the tag match the next night.

4. Ibushi vs. Naito – Seems like this has been the fave for a lot of people. Not too surprised – it was an insane match. Not my favorite, but I definitely enjoyed it.

3. Ibushi vs. ZSJ – I love me Ibushi. And ZSJ matches are different, so I wasn't surprised to really dig this match.

2. Ishii vs. Goto – Ishii is my NJPW MVP. The dude never has a bad match. He's the perfect hard-hitting underdog. Just love him.

1. Okada vs. Elgin – the last 10 minutes of this match was bonkers. I used to be so-so on Okada, but this year made me realize the dude is a legend.

Foggy

Last 3 matches picked it up, really great night of fights. Poor Elgin though. I swear that Japanese banshee in the crowd willed Okada to victory.

Foggy

Unless plans change, I should be around tonight. As exhausting as it is, it's just better to watch this stuff live.

We need this army of Daryls to go and avenge their brother ;/

584-086866img07.jpg

ghostmind

Okada/Elgin was the best match since night 1 - really thought Elgin deserved the win there (as did the crowd apparently).

Decided to skip the undercard, and then I read this thread about what happened to Daryl. Serves me right for skipping!

Pretty psyched for tonight. Nagata vs. Tanahashi dates back to Tanahashi's rise to prominence, while Daryl's death could contribute to Naito vs. Fale.

I feel like the undercard matches have all been more consistent this year. As a whole it seems even better though.

Dont know how NJPW will keep up this pace.

The tags set up heat for the matches. If you notice the people in the tags always have matches the next event.
Naito and Fale are tonight, and now they have heat.
Omega and Tonga were in a tag the night before which gave them heat where otherwise there was none.
Okada and Elgin squared off
Makabe and Goto had a pull apart last night, guess who have a match tonight.
Even Tanahashi and Nagata had a respectful "see you tomorrow" type moment
It is how they give heat and build without asinine promos and skits that take up half of the event with talking and it does a great job of it.

But in the tag matches it allows them to really take it alot easier and go at their own pace and comfort level.
In the tags, nobody is trying to get match of the night just trying to make fans happy.
Yep, fantastic booking. Keeps the storytelling on the card and gives the undercard another interesting reason to watch

Heroman

Banned
Okada/Elgin was the best match since night 1 - really thought Elgin deserved the win there (as did the crowd apparently).

Decided to skip the undercard, and then I read this thread about what happened to Daryl. Serves me right for skipping!
Always skip the under card

Heroman

Banned
Um yes. In his little toe.
More than Cody has ever or will ever have.
And parading his wife out there and smoking cigars will not change it

He does ? Why had he never shown it in his 5 years working for the company? Like Yujiro is the worst.

And unless you have unlimited time and don't want to feel the g1 buen out always skip the under card.

Hex

Banned
He does ? Why had he never shown it in his 5 years working for the company? Like Yujiro is the worst.

And unless you have unlimited time always skip the under card.

OMG...it has happened.
Zach and OwensinNow have been right all along....

Jashobeam

just catching up on yesterdays show and the way Yano won was pure genius lol, I love how they utilize the refs in NJPW, especially the' making them catch the opponents leg' spot.

Heroman

Banned
Some translations
G1 27 Day 4 In-Ring & Commentary Translations

Yano vs Kojjima
Makabe (on commentary) : “Yano is always ahead of opponent. Always has something in mind. That’s how he tries to ruin his opponent’s flow and confuse him. Kojima shouldn’t let up on him.”

Yano: (Pointing to his head) “My mind is better than you.”

Yano: “Tenzan, you step into this ring, too”

Fans chanting: “Yano Toru!” (In Japanese, last names are said before first)

Kojima: “Icchayauzo Bakayaro” = “I’m coming for you, bastard!”

Yano: “I am here, bastard”

Makabe: “I know that Yano is always thinking something. Even this moment. I know him very well.”

Evil vs Juice Robinson
Commentators: “The most surging wrestler currently is Juice.”

Makabe: “Juice is great. He is progressing.”

Commentators: Evil and Sanada, and the all of the ones from LIJ have been growing so much recently.

Makabe: “Juice’s neck is hurt. Juice’s legs are so long!”

Makabe (after Juice perfomred Honma’s move in tribute): “Good. Good. Good, Juice.”

Sanada vs Suzuki
Commentators: Sanada is avoiding looking Suzuki in the eyes. They have fought in All Japan Pro Wrestling before. Sanada is always was very calm, but Suzuki is bringing out Sanada’s emotions. Interesting.

Kenny Omega vs Tama Tonga
Makabe: “Their moves are so fast!”

Makabe: “I can see that Tama Tonga is upset with Kenny Omega’s attitude and him being the leader. But he hasn’t made clear what he wants to do.”

Makabe: “Tama Tonga has great leaping ability. But overall, Kenny is more skilled.”

Commentators: “Kenny Omega is one of the top wrestles in New Japan. He makes other wrestles wonder how they can beat him.”

Makabe: “I guess Kenny proved to Tama Tonga, and the other members of the Bullet Club; he is the best.”

Elgin vs Okada
Commentators: “There are high expectations for Elgin. He was the heavy-weight champion in ROH.”

Makabe: “Because of Elgin being so heavy, it is hard on his own body, too.”

Commentators: “Elgin’s big but also can move fast at the same time.”

Commentators: “Okada is the strongest wrestler in the world right now!”

Commentators: “We can’t predict Okada’s limits. That’s his strength.”

Post-match (in-ring)

Okada: “Let me tell you three things. First; Elgin, you are so strong, bastard. Second; are you guys satisfied with G1 so far?”

Fans: “Yes!”

Okada: “This is not enough. We can go further! Three; nothing really. Please, Gedo, talk.”

Gedo: “Nobody can stop the rainmaker. Do you know why? Because he is on another level. He is going to win every match. Then, he will make it rain in ‘Kourakuen’.”

(Backstage)

Interviewer: “What do you think your chances are to win every match of G1 and being winning the G1 while being IWGP champion?”

Okada “I do not care about those little things. That is not what I am looking for. I am looking further and further. Don’t even ask me that.”

Interview: So, what are you looking to?

Okada: “This is my job; to show you what that is.”
From http://thelionmarks.com/g127-day-4-japanese-broadcast-translations-spoilers

Jashobeam

wow those translations tell so much story, I wish realtime subtitles was a thing lol. Also at the end of the Yano match I can cleary hear the commentator say the word Computer, maybe saying that Yano's mind works like a computer or something, kind of plays into what they were saying earlier. just my guess tho, but yeah that translation really puts Yano's character in another light for me other than just some comedy dude with cheap tactics.

Jashobeam

NJPW G1 Climax 27
Scoreboard

A Block
Hiroshi Tanahashi - 2
Togi Makabe - 0
Tomohiro Ishii - 2
Hirooki Goto - 4
YOSHI-HASHI - 2
Bad Luck Fale - 2
Yuji Nagata - 0
Zack Sabre Jr. - 2
Kota Ibushi - 2
Tetsuya Naito - 4

B Block
Kazuchika Okada - 4
Toru Yano - 2
Satoshi Kojima - 0
Michael Elgin - 0
Juice Robinson - 2
Tama Tonga - 2
SANADA - 2
EVIL - 2
Minoru Suzuki - 2
Kenny Omega - 4

I gotta catch up with last night, but this is the first G1 that I've kept up with while it's occurring. NJPW is such a breath of fresh air right now. It understands how to book its talent to make the best product possible and I can't think of another time in wrestling where the match quality has been so consistently high. We could have a five star quality match at a given moment, it's absolutely insane.

It also makes me more bitter how the WWE isn't taking advantage in the same way. They've never had a roster with such in-ring talent before and should be receiving the same type of accolades as NJPW is now.

Jashobeam

Maybe since there are so many shows, they give everyone a chance to main event, cant have Omega, Naito, Okada going last every night.

Top Bottom