• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NJPW G1 Climax 27 [OT] It's a Real-Life Tournament Arc!!!!!

pbayne

Which title would be better for Juice to go after? The NEVER belt or the US belt?

NEVER seems the right level but too soon imo.
Like hes constantly fallen upwards this year where even though he keeps losing he keeps getting rewarded with bigger opportunities first never, then intercontinental, then g1. Put him on the backburner for a while and challenge some time next year.

NEVER seems the right level but too soon imo.
Like hes constantly fallen upwards this year where even though he keeps losing he keeps getting rewarded with bigger opportunities first never, then intercontinental, then g1. Put him on the backburner for a while and challenge some time next year.
Next year seems like the smart choice. Sometime after Dominion would be a good start.

Next year seems like the smart choice. Sometime after Dominion would be a good start.

I do not think he will get a singles title that soon, NJPW does not give titles that easy, specially in the heavyweight division. For example, Ibushi has not won a heavyweight title in NJPW, only Jr. titles and the New Japan Cup.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I never expected him to win, but it kinda hurts seeing Kojima do so badly in the G1. I mean I understand that someone in B Block has to take the Nagata role of "free wins for the younger guys" but dammit, Kojima is better than that. I wish he'd get one last nostalgia singles title run. He's still over as hell and in amazing shape for his age (apparently Tanahashi said at one point that he was jealous of how in-shape Kojima is for his age).

Speaking of Koji, watching some old stuff on World and I totally forgot he was in the nWo (and made very questionable hairstyle choices).

DGIbrDFUQAARnV_.jpg

Foggy

Internet's acting up but it looks like everything is good now. Thank goodness, this is a match for the ages.

Yoshi Hashi is getting a good match out of Fale? Fale is getting a good match out of Yoshi Hashi? Maybe it's the crowd? Maybe it's my lack of sleep? My goodness.

Foffy

Banned
I never expected him to win, but it kinda hurts seeing Kojima do so badly in the G1. I mean I understand that someone in B Block has to take the Nagata role of "free wins for the younger guys" but dammit, Kojima is better than that. I wish he'd get one last nostalgia singles title run. He's still over as hell and in amazing shape for his age (apparently Tanahashi said at one point that he was jealous of how in-shape Kojima is for his age).

Speaking of Koji, watching some old stuff on World and I totally forgot he was in the nWo (and made very questionable hairstyle choices).

Holy shit, I thought that was Tenzan.

Jashobeam

everyone's clamoring for Ibushi vs Omega for the finals, but I'd actually want to see Ibushi vs Okada, lets see if they can produce a 6 star match, it could add to the story of Omega vs Ibushi at WK12.

everyone's clamoring for Ibushi vs Omega for the finals, but I'd actually want to see Ibushi vs Okada, lets see if they can produce a 6 star match, it could add to the story of Omega vs Ibushi at WK12.

For now closest we got is Tiger Mask W vs Okada at the 45th anniversary show.

Foggy

Yuji Nagata 0pts

Yoshi Hashi 4 pts

Bad Luck Fale 6pts
Togi Makabe 6 pts
Kota Ibushi 6pts
Hirooki Goto 6pts

Tetsuya Naito 8pts
Tomohiro Ishii 8pts
Hiroshi Tanahashi 8pts
Zack Sabre Jr 8pts

Ibushi stays in it by winning with his hometown crowd and he's looking at Yoshi and Nagata before the finals, so he's reasonably in it until the last day, but he needs all of the top 4 guys to lose one more match. He also needs Naito to lose two matches which is his biggest obstacle, but he now has tiebreakers over Ishii, Tana, and ZSJ. If Naito loses to Makabe then he's got a very real shot, if Naito wins then I'd imagine that would basically eliminate him.

Ishii could definitely be this year's dark horse block winner with a win already over Naito and matches against Tana and ZSJ to come. His match against Tana on 8/6 will be huge for the block.

Naito would still be the favorite to win the block with upcoming matches against Makabe and ZSJ before his last match against Tana.

If you're looking for Nagata to play the feel good spoiler, he could come through in a big way against ZSJ and Fale in his last two matches. I'm particularly interested in him potentially tapping out ZSJ.

Hex

Banned
Yuji Nagata 0pts

Yoshi Hashi 4 pts

Bad Luck Fale 6pts
Togi Makabe 6 pts
Kota Ibushi 6pts
Hirooki Goto 6pts

Tetsuya Naito 8pts
Tomohiro Ishii 8pts
Hiroshi Tanahashi 8pts
Zack Sabre Jr 8pts

Ibushi stays in it by winning with his hometown crowd and he's looking at Yoshi and Nagata before the finals, so he's reasonably in it until the last day, but he needs all of the top 4 guys to lose one more match. He also needs Naito to lose two matches which is his biggest obstacle, but he now has tiebreakers over Ishii, Tana, and ZSJ. If Naito loses to Makabe then he's got a very real shot, if Naito wins then I'd imagine that would basically eliminate him.

Ishii could definitely be this year's dark horse block winner with a win already over Naito and matches against Tana and ZSJ to come. His match against Tana on 8/6 will be huge for the block.

Naito would still be the favorite to win the block with upcoming matches against Makabe and ZSJ before his last match against Tana.

If you're looking for Nagata to play the feel good spoiler, he could come through in a big way against ZSJ and Fale in his last two matches. I'm particularly interested in him potentially tapping out ZSJ.

Nagata tapping out ZSJ in his last G1 would be an epic moment

pbayne

Nagata/Ishii was damn good.
Crowd seemed a bit weird tonight. Either they were miked up wrong or noise lost in the arena or they they just weren't into some stuff as much as the previous few crowds were.

Nagata/Ishii was damn good.
Crowd seemed a bit weird tonight. Either they were miked up wrong or noise lost in the arena or they they just weren't into some stuff as much as the previous few crowds were.

Kagoshima isn't one of NJPW's better cities, plus the crowd may have been looking forward to hometown boy Ibushi and didn't want to burn themselves out.

Jerm411

Back from my Gaf wellness violation...LTTP on this thread but man the G1 has been incredible so far. Great stories being told in both blocks....A is wide open and B is the Okada show with Omega on the horizon and EVIL (yes!!) playing the darkhorse.

Oh and Nagata....

blogs-the-feed-2015-02-18-Screen%20Shot%202015-02-18%20at%201.38.22%20PM.png

Tana vs Ibushi is definitely in my top 3 of this G1. I wonder when is Ibushi going to face Tana for the intercontinental title, KoPW 2017 or maybe WK?

Also surprised how well ZSJ been booked, I was not expecting him to get so many points, he really offers something the NJPW heavyweight scene lacked, a good submissions wrestler.

I guess Okada will return to being the default babyface during his match with Tonga.

On the face / heel dynamic of NJPW it usually follows the next structure:

Old timers (Nagata, Koji, Tenzan, etc.) - universal faces.
Taguchi Japan and co - most of the time face, but they can act as heels when facing an old timer, like Tana against Nagata.
Chaos - Heels against olds and Taguchi Japan members but faces against the rest.
Los Ingobernables de Japón - Usually heels, except when facing BC and SZG.
Bullet Club - Usually heels, except when facing SZG.
Suzuki Gun - Always heels.

On the face / heel dynamic of NJPW it usually follows the next structure:

Old timers (Nagata, Koji, Tenzan, etc.) - universal faces.
Taguchi Japan and co - most of the time face, but they can act as heels when facing an old timer, like Tana against Nagata.
Chaos - Heels against olds and Taguchi Japan members but faces against the rest.
Los Ingobernables de Japón - Usually heels, except when facing BC and SZG.
Bullet Club - Usually heels, except when facing SZG.
Suzuki Gun - Always heels.

I was surprised to see Tanahashi getting heat during his match with Nagata.

Top Bottom