• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Daleks for "Doctor Who"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suerte

darkhorizons.com

It's news that many a Who-vian has been dreading. The BBC has confirmed the Daleks will not appear in its new "Doctor Who" series after a failure to agree terms. It seems that talks between the BBC and the estate of late sci-fi writer Terry Nation, who created the Daleks, broke down over issues of editorial control.

A BBC spokesperson said "After lengthy negotiations, the BBC and Terry Nation have been unable to reach an agreement on the terms of the use of the Daleks. The BBC offered the very best deal possible but ultimately we were not able to give the level of editorial influence that the Terry Nation estate wished to have".

Terry Nation's estate on the other hand, aside from saying they were "bitterly disappointed", accused the BBC of ignoring copyright laws and said the corporation was trying to "ruin the brand of the Daleks...We wanted the same level of control over the Daleks that we have enjoyed for the last 40 years".

There is a small sliver of hope - seems the estate would be willing to make a new deal if the BBC accepted the arrangement that had been in place for the last 40 years. However Davies and co. are already indicating though they are disappointed, they're continuing the show anyhow without the metal monsters as all indications were the Daleks role in the new series first season run would've been minimal anyhow.

COCKLES

being watched
Yeah tis a shame.

Doubly when you realise The Mill (Ridley Scott's FX house - Gladiator ect) is doing the post production and CGI effects. The Daleks would never have been better...apparantly they already redesigned them and had the scripts ready in anticipation. :(

Still hopefully they'll appear in seasons 2 or 3 now Nation's estate realise they don't have any bargaining chips. Apparantly problem wasn't money - it was editorial control. According to news reports they were making the Daleks 'too evil' and nasty. Durrrrr. Isn't that what their fucking supposed to be?!

Still let's hope for a good Cybermen revamp. And bring back the Zygons (designed by James Acheson of Spiderman 2 & Aliens costume / design fame) - best scary villians ever!

d4-4f-017.jpg

Well, maybe this opens it up for a Cybermen plot. I always thought they were just as creepy...their weakness is a bit goofy though.

Grimlock said:

I don't even know what that acronym represents, and I highly doubt it would have taken you 5 seconds to write the line in full. I Am With That Pal? I Agree With That Pal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom