• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Viewership is plummeting

Yerd

I stopped watching after the Capaldi doctor. I didn't much like him as the doctor and barely made it through that. I kept watching only because of built up good will from the previous doctor's I did like. I saw clips of the next lady doctor and didn't care to watch that. Then I stopped caring much about Doctor Who. Being a straight white villain myself, and seeing that hilarious twitter pic, why would I bother with any Doctor Who now, it's not for me.

I wanted to see the other lady as the doctor instead of Capaldi. I don't know the actor's name or character name but she had been in the show several times and was an antagonist to Doctor Who already. Same species as the doctor and was previously a man. I'm sure bigger fans would know who I am thinking about.

Tams

I stopped watching after the Capaldi doctor. I didn't much like him as the doctor and barely made it through that. I kept watching only because of built up good will from the previous doctor's I did like. I saw clips of the next lady doctor and didn't care to watch that. Then I stopped caring much about Doctor Who. Being a straight white villain myself, and seeing that hilarious twitter pic, why would I bother with any Doctor Who now, it's not for me.

I wanted to see the other lady as the doctor instead of Capaldi. I don't know the actor's name or character name but she had been in the show several times and was an antagonist to Doctor Who already. Same species as the doctor and was previously a man. I'm sure bigger fans would know who I am thinking about.

Do you mean Michelle Gomez, who played Missy (The Master)?

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I might download and watch just the Moffat-penned episode ("Boom" I believe?), to see how that fares for curiosity. But generally speaking, the franchise has been utterly dead for so long that I don't know even former Whovians who care. And I did know a handful of die-hards back in the Matt Smith era, none of whom even bother to check the news on the franchise anymore, they're all out.

(I did of course watch the Tennant return with a tiny bit of hope months ago, but stopped after the one travesty of a trans-propaganda fest, unbelievable that they wasted a beloved return on that; better for RTD to die or go away forever than to let him keep trashing the franchise)

Last edited:

RaptorGTA

I wonder what they're doing in 2025 then, unless they're taking a break from filming again meaning another damn gap.
Disney is gonna have order more episodes. If not, then it would only be the BBC funding the show.

If that happens, then I would assume a new doctor is introduced but a reduction of episodes per season. Maybe 6 per season with lower budget.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
How long did Tenant and Smith last? I feel like way longer than this guy. Was that the peak of this shows popularity?

jason10mm

Gold Member
How long did Tenant and Smith last? I feel like way longer than this guy. Was that the peak of this shows popularity?
While I'm sure there are some issues with ratings, you can see the dwindling viewership and fewer eps as the show progressed.

HBhTHcG.jpeg

E8uxcna.jpeg

Popularity peaked with the end of Tenats run and tenat/smith/capaldi had 36-39 eps each, while the woman got only 26 and new guy is likely petering out at 16. Eccleson did the heavy work of rebooting the series (what they are trying to claim the new guy is doing) but those next 2 doctors really were the peak.

FunkMiller

While I'm sure there are some issues with ratings, you can see the dwindling viewership and fewer eps as the show progressed.

HBhTHcG.jpeg

E8uxcna.jpeg

Popularity peaked with the end of Tenats run and tenat/smith/capaldi had 36-39 eps each, while the woman got only 26 and new guy is likely petering out at 16. Eccleson did the heavy work of rebooting the series (what they are trying to claim the new guy is doing) but those next 2 doctors really were the peak.

Internationally, it was definitely Matt Smith’s era that was the most popular. They had a potential global hit on their hands - and fucked it by casting old man Capaldi. Utterly stupid move.

Tams

HBhTHcG.jpeg

E8uxcna.jpeg

Some quite interesting trends there. We shouldn't read too much into them, as we'll never really know, but there are observations that you be made.
  • People were excited for the reboot. Ecclestone did a fantastic job.
  • Tennant cemented Dr. Who and was the most popular, in a sustainable way too.
  • Smith carried the torch fantastically too, with no real drop in popularity.
  • People were interested in Capaldi, but slowly became tired of his Doctor (probably due to his Doctor being too broody).
  • People were still interested in a new Doctor and it being a woman was quite a lot of that appeal (one of the highest viewerships). It clearly did not pay off (straight down to the lowest at the time).
  • 15th Doctor... lol. People were clearly fed up with it, weren't getting what they wanted from it, and had no faith that it would be rescued.
Time for a hiatus. Or get the ninth to twelfth Doctor all in one mind bending final series, then go on a hiatus and reboot it in a decade or so.

Tams

Internationally, it was definitely Matt Smith’s era that was the most popular. They had a potential global hit on their hands - and fucked it by casting old man Capaldi. Utterly stupid move.

Actually, it's the opposite. The Doctor works best when played by a young man pretending to be a very old one.

Tom Baker - 40 when he started
David Tennant - 34 when he started
Peter Davison - 29 when he started
Matt Smith - 26 when he started

Dr. Who's international appeal is almost certainly the same reason Mr. Bean and Monty Python are popular internationally.

Of course, there are British elements to it, but the international appeal is the hearty pottiness and slapstick. That is a universal language. Tennant, and especially Smith, were great at that, with big, clear gestures clearly explaining what was happening. And it pretty much has to be someone at least somewhat young to do that. Also, at the end of the day, Dr. Who is a family/children's show that is (or at this point was) supposed to teach some morals and values as well as be entertaining. The same things that get the attention of children are those that translate well across languages.

Some quite interesting trends there. We shouldn't read too much into them, as we'll never really know, but there are observations that you be made.
  • People were excited for the reboot. Ecclestone did a fantastic job.
  • Tennant cemented Dr. Who and was the most popular, in a sustainable way too.
  • Smith carried the torch fantastically too, with no real drop in popularity.
  • People were interested in Capaldi, but slowly became tired of his Doctor (probably due to his Doctor being too broody).
  • People were still interested in a new Doctor and it being a woman was quite a lot of that appeal (one of the highest viewerships). It clearly did not pay off (straight down to the lowest at the time).
  • 15th Doctor... lol. People were clearly fed up with it, weren't getting what they wanted from it, and had no faith that it would be rescued.
Time for a hiatus. Or get the ninth to twelfth Doctor all in one mind bending final series, then go on a hiatus and reboot it in a decade or so.
Last two doctors we basically about "sending a message" rather than dr who so....

I bet if we had demographic data a lot of lady viewers started watching during the tenant years. Chicks loved him.
The hilarious part is that despite all those colored cat ladies telling about "strong powerful women in the movies", a lot of girls and women prefer going to watch attractive men :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Actually, it's the opposite. The Doctor works best when played by a young man pretending to be a very old one.

Tom Baker - 40 when he started
David Tennant - 34 when he started
Peter Davison - 29 when he started
Matt Smith - 26 when he started
Tom Baker was 40? I didn’t know that. He was the best ever. I like the more aged doctors myself.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Last two doctors we basically about "sending a message" rather than dr who so....

The hilarious part is that despite all those colored cat ladies telling about "strong powerful women in the movies", a lot of girls and women prefer going to watch attractive men :messenger_tears_of_joy:
The woke mob has completely gaslit themselves into thinking that women want tough lesbian girlboss characters. They DO NOT.

Women want strong alpha MEN who get weak in the knees for ONE WOMAN and there is a romance. The woman doesn't need to be able to throw a mountain or punch through a planet, women don't see themselves AS the character (men do this) but they do invest in the RELATIONSHIP.

Eventually the powers that be will remember this and start writing strong male characters with strong relationships to women again, and the course will correct. Women don't go to see gay men or lesbians, they don't go to see fat women, amputee women, or butch women fighting people. They go to see an idealized relationship THEY wish they could have, the bad boy who gives up everything to be with THAT ONE WOMAN. The early MCU understood this and it took them to billions. Later MCU has forgotten this and its a disaster.

Guess where Deadpool 3 falls.....

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I don't think this is why Capaldi numbers dropped off.

I'm one of the longtime viewers who split during his era, as did my wife.

In my case, I noticed too many trend-chasing elements gradually slipping themselves into the plot to make room for a future transformation (eg., Moffat dutifully planted the first cross-sex regenerations, introduced a "representation" driven lesbian companion, and many other little bits that started to drown the writing very, very gradually; tremendous fall from grace for him as a writer, he was totally incompetent by season 3 of capaldi).

But my wife isn't very attuned to subtexts like that until they reach a high breaking point, so her reasons were a bit different -- yet I shared hers as well. It was the total loss of Doctor Who as a family program, which both RTD and Moffat are responsible for in different ways over the years. During the Matt Smith era, it mostly still played as a family show (ignoring some gross missteps in this area), and particularly for the Christmas specials which were pure and respectful in every way. But into Capaldi's run, it became consciously and overwhelmingly an adult program, which made only the smallest, waning nods to being something families might want to watch together.

That goes hand-in-hand with the progressive political elements saturating the series, and it killed the soul of the Doctor very quickly. Even someone with a very strong sentimental attachment to the character like my wife simply called him "dead" even before Jodie, and once seeing her, called the whole franchise dead. And that was coming from someone who is driven by emotional connection and not by observing any politics. They absolutely ruined the show for families and fans, and for the franchise to be permanently dead is what everyone deserves at this point.

Tams

I don't think this is why Capaldi numbers dropped off.

I'm one of the longtime viewers who split during his era, as did my wife.

In my case, I noticed too many trend-chasing elements gradually slipping themselves into the plot to make room for a future transformation (eg., Moffat dutifully planted the first cross-sex regenerations, introduced a "representation" driven lesbian companion, and many other little bits that started to drown the writing very, very gradually; tremendous fall from grace for him as a writer, he was totally incompetent by season 3 of capaldi).

But my wife isn't very attuned to subtexts like that until they reach a high breaking point, so her reasons were a bit different -- yet I shared hers as well. It was the total loss of Doctor Who as a family program, which both RTD and Moffat are responsible for in different ways over the years. During the Matt Smith era, it mostly still played as a family show (ignoring some gross missteps in this area), and particularly for the Christmas specials which were pure and respectful in every way. But into Capaldi's run, it became consciously and overwhelmingly an adult program, which made only the smallest, waning nods to being something families might want to watch together.

That goes hand-in-hand with the progressive political elements saturating the series, and it killed the soul of the Doctor very quickly. Even someone with a very strong sentimental attachment to the character like my wife simply called him "dead" even before Jodie, and once seeing her, called the whole franchise dead. And that was coming from someone who is driven by emotional connection and not by observing any politics. They absolutely ruined the show for families and fans, and for the franchise to be permanently dead is what everyone deserves at this point.

I think we're on the same page.

You've just described why people grew tired of him, and being 'broody', and as someone else said, old, were part of making the show not a family show anymore.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Having known Capaldi from other shows I was looking forward to his portrayal of the doctor but the writing completely killed my enthusiasm. I was expecting a much crazier character from him and they went in a very different direction.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Capaldi was much better in Torchwood than he was in Doctor Who

Fight me

Sonik

Having known Capaldi from other shows I was looking forward to his portrayal of the doctor but the writing completely killed my enthusiasm. I was expecting a much crazier character from him and they went in a very different direction.

I bet that the writing teams had already been infected with diversity hires and the usual cultists. The drop in quality since Capaldi's Doctor was noticeable, almost everyone I knew that watched Doctor Who that's where they either abandoned the show or stopped watching it consistently

Krathoon

Doctor Who is in a bit of a pickle now.

They can't really admit the show is bad because it will go against the message they are pushing.

It will make the BBC and DIsney look bad if they cancel it.

So, they are going to have to buckle down and actually make good episodes to save the show.

Disney has no qualms about pulling the plug. Look what they did to Willow.

I find it hillarious that RTD and the actors will not admit that the show went off the rails in the final two episodes of the season.

Valonquar

I'd totally watch a side-series that was a bunch of Daleks traveling through time and failing to exterminate each episode before running away to another episode\timeline.

kevboard

they do have a time travel show here, basically the easiest thing to reboot if done right.
they could literally retcon stuff and it would make sense in a way... so there is a chance. just write some special that resets the show back to a point where people still liked it

Warspite

Neo Member
Is there any proof they want to make a good show? What you are getting is the show RTD, the BBC and Disney signed off on.

Hookshot

Gold Member
I wanted to watch an episode to find out what it was about, but I saw the opening and stopped watching it.
Watch "Blink" if you ever watch just a single episode. It doesn't really feature the doctor all that much but the premise and episode are good.

On the wider topic of Doctor Who, I did try the new series but I dropped it completely after that stupid episode with the woman in the distance. I just found them boring.

Krathoon

My prediction for this season was correct. They just had to have a gay romance episode.

The final two episodes of the season kind of put me off because they don't quite make sense.

kevboard

Watch "Blink" if you ever watch just a single episode. It doesn't really feature the doctor all that much but the premise and episode are good.

Blink works really well as a standalone short film almost. but I'd still say the best you can do is just start watching the show from the 2005 reboot onwards.

Last edited:

Trelane

I never watched Dr. Who, but for a while there I thought, maybe I’ll give it a try. The last few iterations destroyed any interest I ever had.

PSYGN

I remember watching Dr. Who because a girl I was dating was into it. What I remember of it today is like a fever dream, uniquely weird and a bit cheesy... which kinda makes me want to watch it again.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

On the wider topic of Doctor Who, I did try the new series but I dropped it completely after that stupid episode with the woman in the distance. I just found them boring.
Oki doki

Top Bottom