• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

for £160 you could get an HTC 8X

It looks pretty great, but out of my budget right now.

I am looking to buy a sim-free device, as I already have a pay as you go sim card (which suits my fine) and not looking to start a contract.

Any good sim-free cellphone outlets that I should know of in the UK, other than Amazon and ebay?

Carphone Warehouse do on PAYG upgrade.

You're right. I'm seeing here that the O2 PAYG upgrade costs £72.95, which means that I only have to pay this amount to get the device, no strings attached, correct?

PAYG is topping up by voucher/cc etc. whenever your credit runs out, yes?

If I read it correctly, I am really tempted right now.

kharma45

You're right. I'm seeing here that the O2 PAYG upgrade costs £72.95, which means that I only have to pay this amount to get the device, no strings attached, correct?

PAYG is topping up by voucher/cc etc. whenever your credit runs out, yes?

If I read it correctly, I am really tempted right now.

Correct. If you've an O2 PAYG SIM the upgrade is that price and that price only. Their devices are also SIM free too which is nice.

You can also get cashback through TopCashBack or Quidco.

venne

Got the unlock code from AT&T for my wife's 1020.

After unlocking the device, I put in the T-Mobile sim and was greeted with five bars and LTE!

So glad T-Mobile takes the Samsung Focus on trade to pay off the AT&T ETFs.

DonMigs85

My mum's Lumia 720 occasionally doesn't respond to taps on the screen - scrolling up and down still works, but tapping something takes a while to register again. It's fully updated and adjusting the touch sensitivity doesn't help. I really wonder if it could be a hardware defect.

DedValve

Banned
So whats going on with the Lumia 930?

I heard that Elop said it won't be in the US for a long time wtf?

The next flagship Nokia looks amazing and the 10xx lines are just too big for my tastes (and 930 is already stretching it).

MCD

So whats going on with the Lumia 930?

I heard that Elop said it won't be in the US for a long time wtf?

The next flagship Nokia looks amazing and the 10xx lines are just too big for my tastes (and 930 is already stretching it).

930 = Global Icon.

So you already have it in the US.

maeh2k

Ewww

I hear the 935 might be T-Mobile exclusive. Damn the exclusivity!

Wait, there's a 935 now? What's that supposed to be? Will it be a slightly modified Icon like the 521 is to the 520? Or a bigger Icon like the 625 is to the 620? Or a dual-sim Icon like the 635 is to the 630?

Nokia really aren't doing themselves any favors with their naming conventions...

DedValve

Banned
Wait, there's a 935 now? What's that supposed to be? Will it be a slightly modified Icon like the 521 is to the 520? Or a bigger Icon like the 625 is to the 620? Or a dual-sim Icon like the 635 is to the 630?

Nokia really aren't doing themselves any favors with their naming conventions...

I have no idea. They make fantastic phones but their brand names suuuuuuuuck

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

Hey, remember when Elop said that he wanted to simplify Nokia's nomenclature?

Yeah...

Prez

Has anyone had a Lumia 520 for a while? I'm thinking of upgrading from my current LG C660 (old smartphone with 256MB RAM of which only 30-40MB is available when I'm not running any apps). Just got a few questions:

- Is the hardware reliable? Will it last 2 years without breaking?
- Is the battery life decent enough?

I don't do much beside basic internet browsing and whatsapp, so it should be a huge upgrade already.

wtn

Neo Member
I've had a Lumia 520 for around 11 months.

Experienced no hardware issues.

I usually don't spend more than 2 hours daily web browsing with it.

Battery life is variable... sometimes it drops 10% in 20 minutes of web browsing with nothing else running, at other times it drops around 5% over the same time period.

I have brightness set to automatic.

GSMArena claim 7:15 when web browsing, which seems high in my experience, though they don't mention their brightness setting.

I've never had to charge it during the day, but consider myself a light user, and switch over to tablet/laptop when at home.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've been forced to use it for all day browsing and 7.5 seems to be about right from 100% charge to the battery critically low warning.

It can also go around 6 hours doing nothing but streaming music over bluetooth and about 5 hours doing both.

Just noticed the AT&T Lumia 520 is on sale for $29 off contract. I think it's supposed to be a daily deal in store tomorrow at Microsoft Stores as well.

Shit, I think I'm gonna buy one just as a backup phone/mp3 player/whatever, and to mess around with windows phone for the first time.

zeeaykay

I cracked my HTC One M7 screen and am due for an upgrade from Verizon. My previous phone was a HTC 8X and I really enjoyed the Windows phone, even though I have no problems with android. I also really like the HTC.

Is the best Windows phone option from Verizon the Icon? Otherwise I've also been looking at the HTC M8 with Windows, but the design seems to clash a bit with Windows OS. I also like the capacitive buttons on Icon. Anyone care to chime in?

I'm also looking to not spend money; HTC M8 and Icon are free on Amazon with an upgrade.

kharma45

At the minute it is (the Icon), and whilst it's still a solid phone, it's a bit long in the tooth now unless you find a really good deal. If you're interested in WP I have to say wait until we see the W10 devices.

Top Bottom