• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

My 920 no longer responds to touch controls. It started acting up where touch wouldn't work, and after turing it on and off, or a hard restart (which is hard to do if you can't touch isn't working) it would be fine. But as of last night, it's called it quits. I don't think I've dropped my phone too hard, so I'm not sure what's going on. On to the At&T store to see what they can do for me.

*EDIT Apparently I don't know how to do a hard reboot (both volume buttons +power) seems to be behaving now.

Vol Down + Camera + Power

Heretic

Haha! Good stuff :)

WHERE'S MY UPDATE AT&T???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Edit: Posting in right WP thread this time...

My Lumia 820 on Vodafone absolutely fails to do anything internet related on a GPRS signal, my old phones whilst slow would get something but it just fails completely to pull or push any data. Anyone else have this?

It can be full G signal and nothing happens yet as soon as it pings on to E, even if its 1 bar away it goes.

Liberty4all

Banned
I've had my 920 since August last year. I went through alot of love/hate with it but lately I'm alot more on the love side. I really appreciate having all my most important apps on one screen ... and the visual integration of my most important loved one's social media profiles status updates is one of my favourite features of windows phone 8.

Software aside, the 920 is a solid piece of technology, I'm glad I took a chance leaving Apple behind last year. There are still some things I miss about IOS (Apps mostly), but so far I don't think I have any major regrets.

Edit: Posting in right WP thread this time...

My Lumia 820 on Vodafone absolutely fails to do anything internet related on a GPRS signal, my old phones whilst slow would get something but it just fails completely to pull or push any data. Anyone else have this?

It can be full G signal and nothing happens yet as soon as it pings on to E, even if its 1 bar away it goes.

hrm, I wish I could help--but am not sure what exactly could be happening.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Pros: He reaches the conclusion that the 1020 is the better camera phone

Cons: He still port-begs at the end for an android version of the 1020

Prez

Would the Lumia 520 be worth it for me? My current smartphone is pretty old (has about 100MB RAM and a 240x320 screen) so it would be a huge step up I guess. Also the only apps I ever use are Whatsapp and Skype.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Would the Lumia 520 be worth it for me? My current smartphone is pretty old (has about 100MB RAM and a 240x320 screen) so it would be a huge step up I guess. Also the only apps I ever use are Whatsapp and Skype.

The 520 doesn't have an FFC, so Skype could be a problem. Everything else would be fine. The 620 could also be an option, but I don't think you can get it anywhere near as cheap as the 520.

Milchjon

The 520 doesn't have an FFC, so Skype could be a problem. Everything else would be fine. The 620 could also be an option, but I don't think you can get it anywhere near as cheap as the 520.

If you look around a bit, the price difference isn't too big. You can get the 620 as a Amazon.de Warehouse deal for 150€, while the 520 is 140€ under the same conditions. Might be worth to take a look around. The full Here Drive makes it worth it alone.

DonMigs85

My mom has a Lumia 720 that's about 2 weeks old and pretty frequently it says "No Service" and you need to restart the phone to get the cell signal back. Should I be concerned? The same SIM never had issues on her older phone, though we did cut it to fit the micro-SIM slot.
Also she says she has some trouble hearing her friends when they call. I wonder if it's because of the noise cancellation

My mom has a Lumia 720 that's about 2 weeks old and pretty frequently it says "No Service" and you need to restart the phone to get the cell signal back. Should I be concerned? The same SIM never had issues on her older phone, though we did cut it to fit the micro-SIM slot.
Also she says she has some trouble hearing her friends when they call. I wonder if it's because of the noise cancellation

Very likely an issue. The first batch of HTC 8Xs apparently had a problem with slightly miscut sims that caused similar issues. My mum had a problem, replaced the sim, and the phone worked fine afterwards.

n64coder

I currently have a crappy Tracfone and want to get a good smartphone for my wife and I. I'm a bit intrigued by the Lumia line. I plan to go with AIO wireless (prepaid) so I need to have an unlocked phone. AIO sells the 620 for $99 but I'm concerned that the screen size might be too small (it's 3.8"). The 1020 model looks interesting because of the larger screen size and the better camera but it's $800 unlocked.

I wonder if I should go with the cheaper option for now and just upgrade next year when the 1020 is replaced? Any advice for me?

NeOak

I currently have a crappy Tracfone and want to get a good smartphone for my wife and I. I'm a bit intrigued by the Lumia line. I plan to go with AIO wireless (prepaid) so I need to have an unlocked phone. AIO sells the 620 for $99 but I'm concerned that the screen size might be too small (it's 3.8"). The 1020 model looks interesting because of the larger screen size and the better camera but it's $800 unlocked.

I wonder if I should go with the cheaper option for now and just upgrade next year when the 1020 is replaced? Any advice for me?

Get the 620, get a used 1020 or whatever later.

You could use a 920 too, since its AT&T now anyway lol.

Been using the 925 for a couple weeks now, and I'm really loving the phone!!

It was an upgrade from the 8X; I got it after paying off the 8X with T-Mo, went into the store to ask clarifying questions regarding Jump! and almost pulled the trigger then on the 925 @ $99, but my gut told me to wait.

Glad I hesitated!! That night on T-Mo's website I got the 925 for $49!! :D :D :D

WorldStar

Banned
Dropped my Lumia 928 in the toilet last night

Immediately turned it off and dried it off the best I could with a towel

Didn't have any rice tho

Just turned it on this morning, seems to be working fine...

gg phone, I knew it was built like a brick so I assumed it was pretty durable but I really had no idea. This seems to vouch for that, hopefully no problems show up down the road.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'll digest all the news while drinking coffee in the morning when I get to work. Should be fun. Then the Apple event in the afternoon, I'm 99% sure that the next mini will be mine.

NeOak

I'm seriously considering buying the 1520 to replace my 920. I know its OG Xbox huge, but using this phone as much as I do, I think the bigger screen would help.

And dat unlimited data for Netflix/Crunchyroll/Twitch.

I've been very pleased going to a bigger phone when I replaced my iPhone 4 with my 920. Maybe it would be even better if I got an even bigger phone? But the 6-column live tile layout on the 1520 just looks horrible to me and is a deal breaker.

nilbog21

Banned
Sigh, I bought a Nokia Lumia 521 and loved it, but it got a little wet in the rain for 5 minutes while I was riding my scooter home and it turned off permanently. I put it in a jar of rice for 3 days, NOTHING. this thing is really fragile...

flippedb

Banned
Sigh, I bought a Nokia Lumia 521 and loved it, but it got a little wet in the rain for 5 minutes while I was riding my scooter home and it turned off permanently. I put it in a jar of rice for 3 days, NOTHING. this thing is really fragile...

If you tried turning it on right after it got wet, chances are you fried the thing.

NeOak

Then it wasn't a little wet. It was soaked.

The Light

Time for me to finally upgrade from this Samsung SGH-C225. Looking for an entry level phone and from what i'm hearing the lumia line is the best choice in this category. Since i'm using t-mobile service im thinking about buying the 521, but may spring for an unlocked 620 which is just $50 more.

Question I have you guys is there any difference between the two besides the ffc on 620? I mean in terms of support from nokia

flippedb

Banned
Time for me to finally upgrade from this Samsung SGH-C225. Looking for an entry level phone and from what i'm hearing the lumia line is the best choice in this category. Since i'm using t-mobile service im thinking about buying the 521, but may spring for an unlocked 620 which is just $50 more.

Question I have you guys is there any difference between the two besides the ffc on 620? I mean in terms of support from nokia

620 has a compass and the screen looks better. Compare them if you can, no worries, both are great.

PG2G

I expect either the Surface Mini of the Nokia Illusionist to get the axe assuming the expected 2014 release date is after the purchase has been approved.

hadareud

The Translator
I expect either the Surface Mini of the Nokia Illusionist to get the axe assuming the expected 2014 release date is after the purchase has been approved.

I doubt it.

I don't think we'll see much of an impact on stuff that far into development. Or probably any stuff that is due in the first half of next year.

Anyone here using the Dell Venue Pro 8? I am leaning on getting that instead of iPad Mini and it will replace my Nexus 7. I don't need app when I can access full website.

PG2G

I doubt it.

I don't think we'll see much of an impact on stuff that far into development. Or probably any stuff that is due in the first half of next year.

I remember reading one of the reasons for the delay in announcement of the 2520 was because Microsoft was pushing against its release. If true and they wanted to cancel a product before they even owned the company I could definitely see them not bothering once they do own them.

It doesn't really make sense to release and market two near identical devices.

Top Bottom