• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Anyone here using the Dell Venue Pro 8? I am leaning on getting that instead of iPad Mini and it will replace my Nexus 7. I don't need app when I can access full website.

Man, I've been looking at youtube videos and reading hands on all weekend long for this device. My only issues right now are the start button and the lack of a mini hdmi port. I kinda want to wait until the Miix8, the Encore, and the Iconia W4 come out so I can compare all of them, but I think as soon as Amazon has the 64 gig version I'm gonna crack.

Man, I've been looking at youtube videos and reading hands on all weekend long for this device. My only issues right now are the start button and the lack of a mini hdmi port. I kinda want to wait until the Miix8, the Encore, and the Iconia W4 come out so I can compare all of them, but I think as soon as Amazon has the 64 gig version I'm gonna crack.
$324 on Amazon yesterday, so I am willing to give it a whirled. HDMI out is not a deal breaker for me since I doubt I will be hooking it up to anything else. Lack of normal size USB kinda bother me but I guess I could get Blutooth mouse.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
$324 on Amazon yesterday, so I am willing to give it a whirled. HDMI out is not a deal breaker for me since I doubt I will be hooking it up to anything else. Lack of normal size USB kinda bother me but I guess I could get Blutooth mouse.

I saw the price on Amazon and now I'm pissed I didn't jump on it, its back to $150 now. I'll just wait another week or so and see if they drop the price or if any of the competitor devices are released.

hadareud

The Translator
I remember reading one of the reasons for the delay in announcement of the 2520 was because Microsoft was pushing against its release. If true and they wanted to cancel a product before they even owned the company I could definitely see them not bothering once they do own them.

It doesn't really make sense to release and market two near identical devices.

That rumour came from the dude that has a proven track record of exclusively talking out of his arse though, to be fair.

I'm sure you're right and that they'll be thinking pretty hard about what to release and scrap as to not double up, but with the takeover regulations being as they are I suspect that they won't have much of an impact on what's happening at least for the first quarter or so.

but with the takeover regulations being as they are I suspect that they won't have much of an impact on what's happening at least for the first quarter or so.
There's definitely strict legal guidance, and the law is pretty clear here regarding this sort of thing.

Nokia Lumia 525 specification sheet leaked; confirms upgrade to Lumia 520

Unannounced Nokia Lumia 525 struts its stuff in latest render leak

@evleaks Nokia Lumia 525, 2013

lumia_525_render_colours.png

kharma45

Hopefully they retain the same pricing as the 520. Adding the extra RAM should make it fly along with the revised Snapdragon inside.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Those are not budget phone internals. Definitely would upgrade my mom to that off contract, then use her upgrade on a phone for me. *evil grin*

Klocker

My AT&T store told me today 1520 would be on shelf this Friday...

Want to see if its usable (or too big) for daily driver

Klocker

Woah. When the people at the store know, then it is pretty official. Will go on the hunt to see one for myself.

you would think but then the next day news hit of the 15th and yesterday news said the 22nd. so who knows but I'm still going over to look and see tomorrow

The Light

So, I just got my 520(21). I have the older sim and wondering if it is possible to transfer my current number to the new micro sim.

DonMigs85

They really should have given the 720 1GB of RAM too.
Also I hear the rumored 725 will be bigger, around 5 inches with a qHD screen

Bebpo

Banned
Ok, apparently finding help for Lumia 1020 on the internet is about impossible because all google searching like ANY keywords just links to a dozen reviews. Nobody actually talks about the phone in threads like this OT, just reviews everywhere. Guess that's what happens with a small install base.

So I like the 1020 but man is it glitchy compared to my old iPhone. Have weird battery issues but I can deal with that. Spotify is glitchy as hell when running in the backgrounds and trying to resume playlist. Touch-typing still feels off after months of using it.

BUT, the reason I'm posting is I have this problem where all the freaking time when I'm walking around the phone goes into listening mode or BING SEARCH with a loud BEEP then I take another few steps and BEEP and then BEEP and it does this even with the volume off and vibrate and its been making me paranoid that I'll be in somewhere where phones need to be off (like Court) and then take some steps and all the sudden BEEP...BEEP. I turned speech recognition off but it still will go to listening mode and make a BEEP and just say "listening mode is turned off! Please turn it back on!"

I have no idea why this is happening. I don't even know how to activate listening mode manually. And I don't get why it's going directly to that or a bing search when the phone is in lock mode with volume set to 0. It's ridiculous.

Also it doesn't help that I don't know how to turn the phone OFF. If I knew that I could at least turn it completely OFF when in sensitive places. But whenever I hold the lock button and "slide to power down" the second it powers down it just vibrates and then starts up again. It seems like it's more a reset than a power off. And the hold windows button + lock just hard resets it. How do you actually power it off so it stays off until you hold a button?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, apparently finding help for Lumia 1020 on the internet is about impossible because all google searching like ANY keywords just links to a dozen reviews. Nobody actually talks about the phone in threads like this OT, just reviews everywhere. Guess that's what happens with a small install base.

So I like the 1020 but man is it glitchy compared to my old iPhone. Have weird battery issues but I can deal with that. Spotify is glitchy as hell when running in the backgrounds and trying to resume playlist. Touch-typing still feels off after months of using it.

BUT, the reason I'm posting is I have this problem where all the freaking time when I'm walking around the phone goes into listening mode or BING SEARCH with a loud BEEP then I take another few steps and BEEP and then BEEP and it does this even with the volume off and vibrate and its been making me paranoid that I'll be in somewhere where phones need to be off (like Court) and then take some steps and all the sudden BEEP...BEEP. I turned speech recognition off but it still will go to listening mode and make a BEEP and just say "listening mode is turned off! Please turn it back on!"

I have no idea why this is happening. I don't even know how to activate listening mode manually. And I don't get why it's going directly to that or a bing search when the phone is in lock mode with volume set to 0. It's ridiculous.

Also it doesn't help that I don't know how to turn the phone OFF. If I knew that I could at least turn it completely OFF when in sensitive places. But whenever I hold the lock button and "slide to power down" the second it powers down it just vibrates and then starts up again. It seems like it's more a reset than a power off. And the hold windows button + lock just hard resets it. How do you actually power it off so it stays off until you hold a button?

That does not sound right. Maybe cross post this in the WP thread. Several 1020 owners there and it is much more active.

joshschw

Some odd problems.... Regarding the last one, do you have the camera case on the phone? I don't own a 1020, but WP can't be off and charging at the same time, so I'm assuming since that's what the camera case does... well you can see what I'm saying.

I also sometimes get the voice control when I put the phone into my pocket on my 920. You hold down the home button BTW to trigger it. I think what happens is you're waking the phone screen, whether by tapping power button, or double tapping screen, or when you put it in your pocket you nicked the button and then your pocket keeps the screen ON cause it's detecting touches on and off, and eventually you hold down home button and it triggers voice control.

hwalker84

EU Approves. US Approves. Done deal

The European Union has cleared Microsoft’s deal to purchase Nokia’s Devices and Services unit. In a statement released today, the Commission notes that the “overlap of the two companies' activities in this area is minimal and several strong rivals, such as Samsung and Apple will continue to compete with the merged entity.”

Microsoft quickly applauded the move. As a Microsoft spokesperson told The Verge: "We look forward to the date when our partners at Nokia will become members of the Microsoft family, and are pleased that the European Commission has cleared the deal without conditions." The European approval comes just days after the US Department of Justice also gave Microsoft’s deal the go ahead, and paves the way for the merger to complete early next year.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/4/5175116/microsoft-nokia-european-comission-approval

Bebpo

Banned
Some odd problems.... Regarding the last one, do you have the camera case on the phone? I don't own a 1020, but WP can't be off and charging at the same time, so I'm assuming since that's what the camera case does... well you can see what I'm saying.

I also sometimes get the voice control when I put the phone into my pocket on my 920. You hold down the home button BTW to trigger it. I think what happens is you're waking the phone screen, whether by tapping power button, or double tapping screen, or when you put it in your pocket you nicked the button and then your pocket keeps the screen ON cause it's detecting touches on and off, and eventually you hold down home button and it triggers voice control.

I do have the camera case on all the time! Ok, cool. That fixed that and now I can shut the phone off when I need to be certain it won't make noises.

DonMigs85

Sometimes the touch screen on my mom's Lumia 720 doesn't respond at all and the only way to make it work is to lock the phone (with the power button) then wake it up again. Is this a known bug? Any fixes?

Liberty4all

Banned
I have a Nokia 920. I used to use the browser to do my searches (I had set the default to google). About 2 months ago I noticed that searches done this way the google search results page would take forever to load, a good 10 - 20 seconds. This had never taken a long time before, it just started happening.

Since then I started using the built in Bing search feature (bottom right hardware button) and those search results come up almost instantly.

Its annoying, id prefer to use google, but searches take too long.

I have a Nokia 920. I used to use the browser to do my searches (I had set the default to google). About 2 months ago I noticed that searches done this way the google search results page would take forever to load, a good 10 - 20 seconds. This had never taken a long time before, it just started happening.

Since then I started using the built in Bing search feature (bottom right hardware button) and those search results come up almost instantly.

Its annoying, id prefer to use google, but searches take too long.

Have you tried deleting the browser cache? You can also use Google's search app.

kharma45

Anyone else looking at that 6 inch Lumia? I'm on the fence if id enjoy a phablet or not.

I'm unsure. Played with one today. One the one hand it's wonderful but the size jump from my 620 :lol

Bc00N9HIAAAvUr9.jpg:large

I wish they'd do a 5" version worldwide rather than make the 929 a fucking Verizon exclusive

Bullza2o

I might switch to T-Mobile if their houdini plan is true next month. Is there an upcoming Lumia for the carrier? I don't really want to get the 925 because it's getting quite old and the Nexus 5 is more appealing right now.

Liberty4all

Banned
I'm unsure. Played with one today. One the one hand it's wonderful but the size jump from my 620 :lol

Bc00N9HIAAAvUr9.jpg:large

I wish they'd do a 5" version worldwide rather than make the 929 a fucking Verizon exclusive

I'm so on the fence of going phablet. Won't be for awhile anyways as I'm still on contract.

On one hand I spend hours surfing while on transit to work. On the other hand dat size .... the size isn't any good to me if I can't comfortably fit it in my front pant pocket. So far my 920 at 4.5 inches fits fine. I think that 5 inches is probaly about the largest I'd be comfortable with. My wife had a Sony Xperia Z1 that she ended up returning for an iPhone. The screen was beautiful but even that felt awkward compared to my 4.5 inch 920.

zorbsie

Wife dropped my 920 and cracked the screen. What are my options? Can it be replaced or is it cheaper to just buy a new one?

Thinking of getting the 1520, since I can switch SIM cards with my 5S if I want to swap quickly.

A few reservations. I see the app ecosystem has picked up with Instagram and other official apps finally coming to the platform. What do people think about microsoft support moving forward with the merger? Any chance they won't provide system updates and such ?

hwalker84

Dream phone please Nokia!

Lumia 1020 successor
Gen 3 41MP sensor
Snapdragon 805
Somewhere between 5-5.5 inch 1080p screen
Qi wireless charging
Matte not glossy
Data sense (come the F on ATT)
WP 8.1
925 style looks

hwalker84

Thinking of getting the 1520, since I can switch SIM cards with my 5S if I want to swap quickly.

A few reservations. I see the app ecosystem has picked up with Instagram and other official apps finally coming to the platform. What do people think about microsoft support moving forward with the merger? Any chance they won't provide system updates and such ?

This isn't Android. Nokia phones get it all.

So GAF, I am thinking of buying a smartphone during the next couple of weeks, but do not want to spend more than £100 for it (unless it's a very cool phone that is worth a lot more).

I am eyeing a black Nokia Lumia 520, is it any good for the price? It's my first smartphone ever, but I've owned Nokia phones before and they're pretty solid as far as I remember.

All I want it is for texting, phonecalls, and maybe some pictures when need arises. I don't really plan to spend hours upon hours on Skype, I don't have a Facebook or Instagram account, and I just want something newer and fancier to replace my current, old Sony Ericsson S500i.

kharma45

Its a solid choice. That or the 8GB Moto G which is sometimes around £100.

520 is usually around £60 with CPW, not sure what they're charging for it now.

terrier

hello lumia users, a n5 owner here, but i have the chance to get a secondary 'spare' phone and i am tempted, amongs others, to get a 925, as i heard it has one of the best cameras around. Is it better than z1's?¿
How is battery life on the device.
Thanks in advance

pd. i posted here since it seems the better thread instead of the WP one

pd. will this device be updated to the newest WP version with all those new notification possibilites shown in some leaks?

Its a solid choice. That or the 8GB Moto G which is sometimes around £100.

520 is usually around £60 with CPW, not sure what they're charging for it now.

Thanks for the help. I saw the Moto G as well, but I think the Lumia looks sexier.

I'll check around for a week more or so, and will probably order one.

I am eyeing a black Nokia Lumia 520, is it any good for the price?.

I think it's really good even for the price we pay in the UK. The only complaints I have is that the screen's a fingerprint magnet
(or maybe I'm just an oily/sweaty swine?)
, and that the camera's not the greatest. I can't complain too much though seeing as it's a <£100 phone.

I haven't seen a Moto G in person, but the screen's supposed to be a lot better than the 520's screen. Maybe someone who's seen both can chip in on this.

DonMigs85

I'm interested in the rumored Lumia 630, but I'll wait to see how it looks.
Shame that based on the leaked specs, the screen is still just WVGA though.

maeh2k

So GAF, I am thinking of buying a smartphone during the next couple of weeks, but do not want to spend more than £100 for it (unless it's a very cool phone that is worth a lot more).

I am eyeing a black Nokia Lumia 520, is it any good for the price? It's my first smartphone ever, but I've owned Nokia phones before and they're pretty solid as far as I remember.

All I want it is for texting, phonecalls, and maybe some pictures when need arises. I don't really plan to spend hours upon hours on Skype, I don't have a Facebook or Instagram account, and I just want something newer and fancier to replace my current, old Sony Ericsson S500i.

I don't think you can go wrong with the 520. It's probably wise to stick to your budget, but just to give you an idea of pricier alternatives: for £160 you could get an HTC 8X, which is faster, has a better screen, and a better camera.

Top Bottom